The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 136 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160369 - 09/20/08 05:11 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: meredithbead
I'd also have to work the floor 3(?) shifts a month.
Here's the conundrum: this is an expensive commitment for me, in a gallery with so far a lousy sales record. $85/month + 3 round-trip drives (80 miles) @ 4 gallons of gas = $100/month for a year. Plus the gallery takes 25% of sales. Plus my cost of materials. I've done the math, and I'd need to take in $2,000 sales for the year just to not LOSE money, never mind my time and effort.

To add:
*gas prices may rise again
*25% of sales on top of monthly booth fee? - reduce to 10%?
*bad economy (probably to worsen) for at least two years
people rethinking lifestyle choices
*questions: Can a clause be written into the contract, which would void the contract if after 180 days you decide the venture is worthless to you? This is not standard, but new things are sure to be tried in today's unstable financial mess.

EW put forth the suggestion that first popped into my mind - find a chic restaurant to set up a display, sales = strictly commission based, no space fee

How is your home situated? Can a portion of it be set up as a store front, to where you could charge $85 a month, plus commissions, plus free floor help, plus getting another write-off for your business, as well as personal? You could even have individuals who wanted to test their jewelry making skills come for a day. There are people out there looking for things to do for income, but who can't and won't dish out the start up funds out of fear or lack... but, if jewelry making was on their list of 'wish I could' and they got the bug from a day with you, a day's fee for your time and mentoring may appear worth it... not to mention you might pick up another customer for supply purchases.

The capitalized word, POTENTIAL, stuck out for me, too. I didn't know whether to take it as a positive or a negative capitalization - positive, in that you imagined fortune and fame, or negative as in 'it's only a possibility, not a given.' Can you clarify? I think (like kathy) it's important to understand that entry.

Word of mouth is the cheapest and best way to grow business if you have the quality in merchandise/service to generate it.

You are VERY smart to be thinking ahead. BUT, so what if you aren't chosen... its a good time to get ready with other ideas.

These are my thoughts only, not expected to be taken as truths by any other person.

#160380 - 09/20/08 11:17 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The Gallery is being run as a co-op of Orange County Fine Arts Association (OCFA) and is open only to members of OCFA. Laguna Beach is pricey real estate. Gallery fees are what pay for the rent and utilities. The 25% is what will pay for future publicity and the OCFA scholarship program for high school art students. OCFA is completely non-profit. Standard gallery fee in Laguna (provided you can even get in...) are 50% of sales, and you're out ASAP if you don't produce.

The person who is pulling out has been a member of OCFA for 10 years, and she couldn't get her deposit back when she left before her one-year contract. As a new member, I couldn't expect to negotiate a better deal than anyone.

From time to time, people ask me about hostess parties, but no one ever comes through. Restaurants don't have that kind of free space. I've contacted office buildings et al and no one wants to do/allow anything. And my goal is to have LESS shlepping, not more. I've already done the rinky dink bazaars and PTA sales, and it's not worth my time.

I live in a suburban cul-de-sac with very limited parking. No one drives by except my next-door-neighbors. Homeowners' association would have a royal sh** fit if it seemed that I was using the house for commercial purposes. We can't even have more than 4 garage sales per year (per house) -- not that I'd want to.

I gave beading lessons at the library and sold a fair amount of supplies, but that's not my end-goal. However, I passed the word among my supply customers at Hollywood that they should talk to their local libraries and community centers to sponsor me. We'll see. With the economy being hard, they might not even be able to afford my fees.

When I used the word POTENTIAL about this gallery -- it's the old saw, "location, location, location." Laguna Beach is considered prime location for artists. Tourists come to this town because of its reputation as an art center. Do I expect fame and fortune? Hardly. But I think that success in this gallery would open up other doors -- NOT doors where I'd have to dolly 500 lbs. on 17 trips from the parking lot.

Poet and essayist

#160604 - 09/22/08 09:08 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
underwearmaven Offline

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Hi Meredith, Please make sure you post your decision. I can see the pros and cons of both sides. Woman, You've got talent. I'm totally impressed with your books and web sites.
Maybe you can help me solve my problem. I’m a Boomer and it’s now impossible for me to read without reading glasses.
Unlike Sarah Palin, I buy my reading glasses at the dollar store and I'm always losing them, stepping on them, bending them on the top of my head, you name it.
1. Typical lanyards don't work for me. I like the concept of hanging like a necklace but they pull off.
2. I'm too lazy for the necklace where you hang the folded glasses. Anyway, they fall off too.
3. I'm willing to sacrifice my dollar store glasses.
4. Here’s where you come in, maybe get an earplug or cosmetic foam. Super glue around each of my glasses arms, stuff and super glue into something like a plastic sewing thimble. The thimble would have a chain or something that would clasp to my "one of a kind" meredithbead lanyard.
5. Maybe put something cute on one of the thimble- Like a smiling monkey face. One of those statement pieces that put strangers at ease and they smile back.
6. I know being willing to destroy my dollar store glasses doesn’t bode well and adds credence to the Disposable American Sterotyype- but I really think it will help mother earth in the long run because I break so many!
7. If you get something that works, maybe there’s a market for the Gadget that lets you super glue your glasses and clasp to a lanyard. Maybe apply from a design patent pending.
8. Let me know if you want to give it a try and I’ll go to your web site and place a special order.
Sincerely, Lea

#160623 - 09/22/08 11:22 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: underwearmaven]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Meredith I think your long term goal is where you are thinking.

You said, "Do I expect fame and fortune? Hardly. But I think that success in this gallery would open up other doors -- NOT doors where I'd have to dolly 500 lbs. on 17 trips from the parking lot. "

So you're expecting to use this as a stepping stone to something bigger and better. Right? So, it sounds like your wanting to accept the offer if you can get it. That's okay because you've got something in your mind where you want to go and this may be were you need to be for now.
www.tidedancer.com

#160636 - 09/23/08 12:11 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: underwearmaven]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Leah, thanks so much!

I assume that your problem with the current model of glasses chain is that either the elastic slides open where it connects to the glasses arm, or the perpendicular aspect is annoying.

I've made one prototype and will be sending the pic to you as soon as I write this. The biggest logistical problem is that anything large enough to go around the end of the earpiece, is going to make a bulky knob at the side of your head. (You could always attach antennae...)

I have 10 pairs of dollar store glasses -- for every room in the house, 2 different strengths in my purse, car, gym bag, 2 in craft bag -- so I consider myself an expert on the variations in this particular product.

Now on to the email, with probably wayyyy too much information! cool

BTW, I think these smileys should be bigger because when I click on them, they're almost too tiny to see their faces. Which is why I don't use as many as I used to. frown

Poet and essayist

#160637 - 09/23/08 12:18 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Sandpiper, not if I'm IN this gallery -- but if I DO WELL in this gallery -- that will be a good selling point to any gallery or high-end shop in SoCali (and maybe beyond.) It would say "She sells well in a high-end artistic market."

My immediate goal would be to make a sustainable amount of sales and show what I think is a reasonable profit.

Poet and essayist

#160654 - 09/23/08 05:25 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I understand MB. I did mean that you know in your heart if you want to use the new gallery as a permanent place or stepping stone. I agree that if you are selling well in the gallery, it would say something about your craft.

I think it's commendable that you are on your way to doing just that with your business. You've done your homework and time girlie, so it's time for you to get the good site. I'll be praying God leads you in the right direction and that doors will open for you.
www.tidedancer.com

#160672 - 09/23/08 01:27 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Meredith, first let me say congratulations again on 1st place finish in the annual show.

I have given your post considerable thought and I have read all the posts. Here's my 2 cents worth.

Location being number one on my list: Why is the previous leaser, with good stock, not making it in a prime location? This is a good question that you really need to address.

Advertising - In store: Are you responsible or will your first place finish be part of any ad campaign for the store? Will you have a professional ad on your display that states that you are a first place winner?
Is there any such thing as out of store advertising? If not,why not? Any brochures for the store?

Setup: Is there a generic setup or are you allowed to do as you see fit for your collection? Presentation is imperative.

They are very lucky to have you and they recognize that. I would try to come to some better agreement that makes YOU feel more comfortable about displaying your art in this location. Sit down with all involved and express your concerns. See if you can come to a solution that works for both parties.

Your jewelry is beautiful and deserves front row center. Wishing you the best in making your decision.

#160696 - 09/23/08 03:02 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, I live in a town that has quite a few shops that sell creations from local artisits. What attracts me is DIFFERENT. You should definitely include your boxes and vases. Can those be included with your jewelry?

#160792 - 09/24/08 07:40 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Quote:
Why is the previous leaser, with good stock, not making it in a prime location?

Good question. The only guess is that her product is geared towards a midlife+ woman with mucho bucks, and the foot traffic (much of which is from nearby restaurants) is slightly younger. That, added to that the gallery still hasn't caught on as a whole.

The gallery has brochures in store. I don't know what the distribution is outside. Until the gallery starts taking in more money, there's really not much $$ for advertising.

When I spoke to Kathy (Dancing Dolphin) on the phone, she mentioned quite a few good ideas about publicity, etc., which I'll bring to the attention of the gallery manager.

Jewelry case is glass ~5' tall & 2x2' square. 3 shelves. I'd have complete autonomy over presentation, and whether I included written info (including awards.) I'm sure I'd be able to display my boxes and other small art as well.

Thanks again to all! Your time and encouragement is much appreciated.

Poet and essayist

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved