The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160267 - 09/19/08 08:11 AM Leap of Faith
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'm not one to take big financial risks. Although I spend a fair amount on my business, I work in a mostly conservative manner with a strong eye for the bottom line (which may be part of why I'm still in business after 30+ year.) I don't make a lot but all my bills are paid.

Right now, I sell at craft fairs 40 weekends a year and am in 2 galleries. My long-term goal is to sell more online and in galleries so I don't have to shlep the 500-lb. set-up out every week.

When I was invited to join Orange County Fine Arts Association, one of my reasons for joining was the possible opportunity to sell at their several venues.

I've been on the waiting list for their Laguna Beach gallery ever since I joined in June. (I'm already in one of their smaller galleries.) This is a new gallery in a good location. One mile south of downtown Laguna but across the street from a very busy restaurant, on a street with many galleries and restaurants, and it's a bus stop on the monthly Art Walk tour. I was told to expect a year (or longer) wait as they have only 3 spots for jewelry.

It seems my wait may be shorter. One of the jewelers is pulling out because she's moving in January. That, and she's had NO sales in 3 months. (And she has stunning work.) Possibly because of the economy. Possibly because the gallery is pretty new and not on the radar yet. But no one has had much success so far, despite the good location in a town that spends money on art.

Jurying is next weekend for the open jewelry spot. Several people have hinted that I've been moved up the waiting list because of my 1st place finish in the annual show. If chosen, I'd start in the gallery mid-October. If chosen, I'd need to make a decision within one week.

Contract is for 1 year, with 4 months deposit paid in advance. I'd also have to work the floor 3(?) shifts a month.

Here's the conundrum: this is an expensive commitment for me, in a gallery with so far a lousy sales record. $85/month + 3 round-trip drives (80 miles) @ 4 gallons of gas = $100/month for a year. Plus the gallery takes 25% of sales. Plus my cost of materials. I've done the math, and I'd need to take in $2,000 sales for the year just to not LOSE money, never mind my time and effort.

(posting so I don't time out...)

Poet and essayist

#160268 - 09/19/08 08:28 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

$1200 is a lot for me and would come from the "Meredith slush fund" -- money I use for travel, clothes and entertainment. If I lose this money, I have NO travel, entertainment or clothing funds for the following year. (Yes, I work on a tight budget.) No, it would not affect medical, dental or house upkeep as that's not touched for elective expenses, period. And I never, ever take out a loan, nor would I consider it for something like this.

I think if I pass this opportunity by, it might not come again. If someone else takes this space and the economy improves, then they would not give up their space.

The balance sheet:
PRO
1. very good location
2. the gallery looks very nice
3. POTENTIAL
4. limited window of opportunity

AGAINST
1. cost to participate
2. iffy economy
3. poor sales in gallery
4. did I mention the cost?

Usually I'm very decisive, but in this instance, I see both sides of the argument so strongly.

Any comments?

Of course, I realize all this consternation will be moot if I'm not offered the space, but I thought I'd put this out into the world.

Poet and essayist

#160269 - 09/19/08 09:00 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
Mountain Ash Offline

I am speaking from my own experience.

Once the hard work is done in whatever area.Work..home study and garden the rest comes easily.

e.g the meal is prepared and served well if I shop for the right ingredients and have the kitchen ready.

Likewise a project.
You have done all the preparation.Your jewelrey speaks for its self..you know what you are doing due to the hard work attending the fairs.You are no a novice.
So if things evolve easily and seemlessles ( this coming out of the blue) its a sign. But signs only come due to the foundations you have built.
The economy is bad..but during that time people still have birthdays..weddings etc.
Have you made tiaras and bridesmaids favours...gifts for the Mother of the bride and bridegroom.A theme...individual.
I know here one jeweller had diversed into kilt pins for men at weddings.No one else had thought of this.
Keep us posted..glad for you that a new door is opening.
Its exciting
Mountain ash

#160277 - 09/19/08 02:13 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Mountain Ash]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Meredith, just a question for you. Did you figure out how much you made at the different places you show versus your online sales? Perhaps that might lead you to a decision.

Yes the economy is pretty iffy and we don't really know when it will get better. Hopefully with a new administration in Washington D.C. but no matter who takes office it will take some time for it to work better for the general populace.

I do understand about taking the risk and if offered to set up in the gallerie. Just it's not impressive if there are no sales. You have great, good product that sells and if you're in the gallery you may have the right spot.

I just thought I'd ask that question. Would you also be maybe more ahead to put your websites out to more search engines or something like that?

Either way it's exciting how you make your beautiful jewelry and can earn a living with it. Best to you and keep us informed.
www.tidedancer.com

#160285 - 09/19/08 05:39 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Sandpiper]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Meredith, summer is the slowest time for gift sales. You could be getting in just in time for the holidays.

You say you need to sell $2,000 worth to break even. How many pieces is that? How many individual sales or sets would that equal? (You don't need to tell us, just helping you work things out)

$1200 is only going to get you about two months of quality google advertising. This will last you an entire year in a gallery. You can also list the gallery on your website as a place to purchase, and it will add validity to your online business.

The other woman that didn't sell anything - - how similar are her products to yours? What about her price range compared to yours? How are others in the gallery doing? Is the other jewelry in the gallery different from yours? How does the gallery market itself?

I noticed that you capitalized the word POTENTIAL under the pros; that's the only thing you capitalized in either list - does that tell you something?

Just my thoughts; let us know what you decide.
K

#160287 - 09/19/08 05:45 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Sandpiper]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Meredith, I have no business sense whatsoever. But your jewellery is phenomenal. What might work in your favour as opposed to other vendors who have tried that location is that you can offer a wide diversity of product in terms of both design and price range. People may not be able to spend a lot right now in today's economic climate, but they still want to be able to buy. You offer beautiful jewellery at affordable prices - which is crucial when "affordable" means something different to every person. That might drive more people into your shop.

(Maya Angelou)

#160301 - 09/19/08 09:21 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, have you considered eyeballing the gallery on a weekend to witness first hand the traffic issue? Is it possoble the traffic is there, but not the best quality jewelry? If you agree, will all three jewelry spots be taken, and if so, how does the other jewelry compare to yours? Also, you mention other shops in the area. How many sell jewelry and do you know how they are doing?

#160345 - 09/20/08 08:33 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Thanks everyone for your input.

Mountain Ash -- thanks for the vote of confidence and an interesting angle. I do many special orders (bridesmaids etc.) but don't want to concentrate in any particular niche. Although signage in the display might plant that seed.

Sandpiper: Most of my sales come from in-person shows. Galleries would be next and online last. I think there are 2 reasons: 1. people like to see and touch jewelry more than they like to look at a picture; and 2. if you google "hand-made jewelry" -- I can't remember exactly, but it's over a million results. 10 million?? The bulk of my online jewelry sales come from here, my scrabble partners, and friends of existing customers. In other words, word of mouth. Surprisingly, many more people find me when they're looking for supplies -- but that's just a form of cash flow, and not anything I'd want to do full-time.

Kathy: thank you SO MUCH for the telephone call! smile Your comment about the cost of internet advertising is a good one -- I didn't realize how much it costs to attempt to rise out of the huge ocean of jewelers online. I wrote down your other points and will bring them to the attention of the gallery director and the board.

Eagle, I love your optimism! The diversity of my products has always been a strong selling point. I think it would be here too.

Dotsie: I've been to the gallery on a Sunday afternoon. Foot traffic trickled. What I was told is that the greatest foot traffic is in early evening because of popular restaurants nearby. There's no jewelry on that block but it does sell throughout the entire area.

The three jewelers currently on display: two (including the one who will pull out) have a mostly higher end product, with a smattering of less expensive earrings that might be comparable to mine. Both of them have absolutely gorgeous work. Neither has sold a thing since the 3 1/2 months the gallery opened. Laguna Beach is an arts town with the income to support high-end items. Maybe because the gallery is still relatively new so hasn't attracted that clientele yet? The third jeweler has (to me) really boring work with $20-50 price range, and has sold some although not a whole lot.

I know I can sell jewelry. What I don't know is how long the economy will be rocky, and how long it will take for this gallery to take off.

Thanks again everyone for you input and words of encouragement. I'll keep you informed.

Poet and essayist

#160348 - 09/20/08 08:52 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Meredith would it be possible to have women have a jewelry party in their homes for you? You could offer the hostess a gift of jewelry for her efforts. No party with less than a dozen women though, not worth your time...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#160356 - 09/20/08 09:34 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Meredith, you sound like a good business woman who weighs all the pros and cons. I would definitely try to bargain with the shop owners. Tell them you are interested,…but act like you have a choice of owners wanting your wares. You make the terms, after all you are drumming business for them! Tell them you only work on a commission basis. They are most likely feeling the economy slump as well, and your beautiful jewellery gets people into their store. I think if you have to pay them to display your jewellery plus a commission then it sounds like a rip off.

I used to sell pewter gift items at Christmas fairs during the Christmas season. I remember standing behind my booth, my items lovely displayed on thick velvet cloth, and watch over my empty counter how the crowds gathered in front of the food stands.

When I was able to place my booth between food stands, my sales went up 100%. People munched and needed something to look at. If I had continued along this line, I would have started a food business myself and displayed my gift items along the side. It’s pretty sad, but it’s true. You need a gimmick to sell, in order to stand out over the competition. And no matter how rocky the economy is; people got to eat. What if you tried to display at coffee shops and/or restaurants?

Just a thought to add to your own good ones.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved