The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#159705 - 09/13/08 07:57 AM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: gims]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
What would you name your book, gims? And you played a game 'what you'd put on your headstone'? Ha, never heard of that one. And what would you put on your head stone?

My book is a love mystery novel. Chatty edited it for me, and did a great job. I'm not too sure which title I want; either
"Run Melanie Run" or "Half Moon Shadows".

#159714 - 09/13/08 12:06 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: Edelweiss2]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Run Melanie Run speaks to me...the other sounds like an old timey Western and doesn't speak to me because 1) I dont' like westerns, and 2) I have to struggle hard mentally to get a picture of shadows cast by a half moon. In doing so, I can't envision what the "mystery" would be. But RMR says there is a woman/girl and that she's running from something and could be in danger and she's scared.

See the different in what the titles evoke? And that's just from glancing at them. If you had a dynamite cover to go with it...well....it might jump off the shelf at me. Just some thoughts.

Then again, I sent 10 different titles for my next book around to some trusted friends and the one I thought they would jump all over, they didn't like at all....as a matter of fact, they didn't like any of um...go figure.

Not to show my gabology side, but to me a title is so important and for different reasons.

1. You're going to be typing it a bazillion times. Do you want to have to type a long, drawn out, hard to spell title? I know I don't.

2. It will have to fit on "some" business cards, brochures, and other advertisements so will it fit? Be awkward looking? Or just is it just right? And WILL IT BE USING SOME GREAT BUZZ WORDS THAT SEARCH ENGINES WILL PICK UP regardless of trends?

3. Will it be hard for others to pronounce? Spell? If so, some people who might otherwise promote it, will pass it by.

4. What will it say to others? Will it speak to them (see earlier comment) or will it leave them dry? Run a test with on some of your friends and ask them what it says to them.

5. And lastly, how does it look on a book cover? Bold, beautiful, or ugly?

Just some random thoughts.

#159732 - 09/13/08 04:59 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss2 Offline

JJ you gave me a lot of food for thought, and I’m on a diet. Hee hee

Well, the half moon shadows are explained in the first chapter, where a girl has such big shadows under her eyes they look like half- moons. But I thought about what you said…and then I pictured a coyote yowling at the moon; so I think you really have a point there.

I’m just afraid the title; “Run Melanie Run” may make readers think it’s about an athlete. It’s not; … she’s running for her life.

Great tips though, JJ. I probably should join a book club like Louisa has started, but in Germany, an English speaking book club? No luck.

Has anyone ever suggested putting excerpts from some chapters of their book, to get criticized? Or is everyone afraid the ideas may be stolen from someone online?

#159752 - 09/13/08 09:35 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: Edelweiss2]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Putting it where? Here? I would NEVER suggest putting excerpts on an open forum or a chat room...when the entire world can see it, you can almost be guaranteed that someone will take the idea and run with it. Not only that, but you are opening yourself up for criticism from yahoo's and any Dilbert that wants to comment. Think SPAM...

Now a private chat room, maybe....but the only way I would put an excerpt on the net in open view would be AFTER it was published.

Just my thoughts and coming from someone who had complete articles stolen and copied.

#159758 - 09/13/08 09:57 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: jawjaw]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
My current achievable goal is to finish rewriting one of my finished manuscripts. One is a historical romance novel and the other is a contemporary romance. Just have to get busy and do it. I need to have them done and published by next year about this time. Ugh!
www.tidedancer.com

#159762 - 09/13/08 10:28 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: Sandpiper]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Edelweiss's book is a great read and keeps one on the seat of their pants the entire time. There is so much variety in place, actions and personalities.

I am reading your comments JJ and Edelweiss. Do you remember my suggesting other titles for the reasons you mentioned above. NO, not the half moon, it is just a blurb in the entire book and not important enough to warrent the title in my mind.
Run Melonie, Run, is okay but as you said some may think her a competitive runner. So may I suggest since I've read the manuscript completely...

RUN MEL0NIE, ESCAPE...

RUNNING FROM DISASTER...

MELONIES MURDEROUS ENCOUNTER...

WHY DOES MELONIE RUN?

Just a couple of suggestions...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#159829 - 09/14/08 05:15 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss2 Offline

How awful JJ! Complete articles stolen and copied! Yikes, that is like stealing a part of your soul. Do you know how much of a risk it is to send a manuscript to an editor? I wonder if they just steal some stories, and publish it under another name. Has anything like that ever come to surface?

Sandpiper, maybe we should just open our own publishing company. cool

Chatty, you DO know flattery will get you everywhere. ((((Chatty)))) blush
Yes, I remember the discussion about the title. It’s not easy, and as JJ said, it’s probably one of the most important things of the book. Thanks for your suggestions.

#159846 - 09/14/08 08:17 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: Edelweiss2]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I would think the chances of a mannie being stolen and used would be less. Reason being, if I had a mannie stolen, I would go after the culprit, hook, line and stinker and most people know that. But also, and this is important, most companies are honest, hard-working people, just like us. They do not want to steal your work, but promote it. My best suggestion would be to check out who you are dealing with, thoroughly.

Is your work copyrighted?

Listen, if someone wants to steal your work bad enough, they will. It's that simple. I use to fret over it but found that the angst wasn't worth it. If it were a manuscript, my attitude would be different.

However, just because I don't sweat it anymore, doesn't mean that I would put tons of my work online again. This was taken off my homepage. And I won't do that again. EVER.

But articles that I write for Dotsie are copyrighted...as well as the ones for magazines. So, if they steal those, at least I have proof they are owned by me, should I pursue them, AND for the peace of mind of the Editors!

Clear as mud?

#159937 - 09/15/08 09:33 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: jawjaw]
BarbWilber Offline

Loc: Northern California
Wow, what a great thread. I have enjoyed getting to know you all with this topic. To know what someone is reaching for is to really see into their heart and soul. What lovely hearts here.

My most recent goal was to move from being a Women's Ministry Director to a Christ Centered Life Coach. I love working with women, seeing them overcome the lies, fear, shame and limiting beliefs that keep them captive and unable to dream. I have first had to allow myself to dream again. I have to overcome my own junk - of course a life-long process. There's always some toxin to clean out - the debris of living in an imperfect world and being an imperfect person.

I'm reaching next to launch a women's coaching club to help women gain the support they need and give the gifts they have - to one another. To reach into the uncomfortable new from the accepted pain of the status quo. Which means of course, that I am VERY UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for this topic and allowing me to say this all "out loud" to such fine women. Blessings!

#159969 - 09/16/08 12:34 AM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: BarbWilber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I truly believe there is a lot of life coaching that goes around on this forum. No subject is taboo and everyoine can relate to
most of what we share. Just one of the reasons this place and the women here are simply invaluable...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved