The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#159281 - 09/09/08 08:43 AM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
My first goal is to formulate a goal.
I have a book idea, but I'm not a writer. Don't know how to find someone to write it, because it would take a special kind of writer... and I'd want to be involved.
I'd like to get involved with childrens education in some way... not to teach, but to find/develop better ways for others to teach.
I want to establish a retreat for girls and women.
I want to drive (alone) up I-35 til I get to Duluth, MN, stopping along the way to hear stories from people I meet.
I'd like to spend some time on a reservation like Tom Harmer did in Going Native.
I want to live in a convent for 3-6 months.
I want to experience past life regression (this is so against what I was taught to believe, but I still want to do it).
And, I still want to walk the Appalachian Trail (well, part of it now... I think I've waited to long to go full length).
My vision board only has dirt on it... nothing has happened with that.
guess I need to get to work adding other pictures...

#159298 - 09/09/08 01:43 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: gims]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Gims, sometimes I wonder if we were symbiotic twins once upon a time...as I was reading through this thread (I'm here all day everyday, yet this is the first time I saw this thread!), the first thought that crossed my mind was "well, my first goal would be to figure out my goals". And then I read your post and laughed right out loud.

Honestly, I'm still stuck in some kind of in-between place. It's not uncomfortable, in fact, it's more like an oasis of respite, so I'm allowing myself to just enjoy it. After all these years of drowning in grief and sadness, it's a relief to feel solid ground beneath my feet and soul!

One thing that I do feel drawn to do is some sort of spiritual retreat. A long spiritual retreat. To reconnect myself to heart, joy, life and to God, and to confront the profound fears that keep me from flying.

There are legitimate reasons that prevent me from making achievable goals that entail outward mobility. So I suppose my first goal should be to accept that at this time the most confining of these circumstances is not within my power to change and to stop wasting all my energy on resenting and resisting that reality. My second goal would be to find peace and reconnection right here-and-now from within the perimeter I'm left with.

(Maya Angelou)

#159299 - 09/09/08 01:48 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I realized after posting my thoughts, that I did set out one goal after Gary died, and that was to travel as much as possible...there were so many places he wanted to see, but never made it anywhere. There is a whole world out there that I've always wanted to see, and we decided that we're not waiting anymore, we're making it happen now. So we're doing our third "big trip" (still using some of Gary's money) next month - Italy, Spain, Portugal and Morocco (Africa has been on my list since I was a child...Morocco is only one small corner, but it's still Africa - a lifelong dream coming true!)

So I guess I'm not quite as goal-less as I thought!

(Maya Angelou)

#159301 - 09/09/08 02:14 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Hi Gims/Eagle Heart

Oh goodness, I so relate to what you're saying about the first goal to, well, have a goal! I've spent most of my life not willing to set a goal because I might miss out on something else I *could* be doing or enjoying or paying for or something! I even read a book a few years ago with the subtitle "goal setting for those who hate setting goals"...grin. That is how I came to say I have NSOS (Next Shiny Object Syndrome)!

Then last year I was reading a book by Joan Borysenko (sp)that used an interesting analogy. She was saying men tended to climb "Jacob's Ladder", setting one foot after another on the "rungs" (goals, if you will). Achieving, resetting, achieving, resetting. Then she said that for women it is more like "Walking Sarah's Circle" and that women tend to be more "circular" in their achieving of life dreams and doing what they do. Boy, did that hit home with me. I read, and reread, that section and it connected with me to a level I hadn't thought possible. It helped me understand myself so much!

The other thing that helped me a lot (and actually led to me opening my new business) was getting clear on what my passions are...not a goal per se, what drives me at a deep level. What helps me feel connected to others and to my heartspace in a way I never imagined. It helped me see there was a set of core values I have and it didn't matter as much how it happened as that it did happen.

I was actually working with a woman who "knew" she needed to be writing a book and was beating the snockers out of herself because she had only written a few pages in 10 years. However, when we worked together to identify her top 5 passions, she found that she didn't even want to write a book! Or at least it didn't show up in her top 5! Her number 1 passion was a closer walk with God and, to her, that meant becoming a minister. And she never even knew that it was important to her. Way kewl and lots of fun.

So maybe we women aren't *meant* to focus as much on the goals or goal setting as on the experience we want to have...at least that is what I'm learning about myself.

Don't know if this applies to ya'll...and I know it has made a big difference in my life. I do a bubble sort on what is coming up for me and figure out what is most important to me right now. That seems to help me pick my next action and gets me off my nasty circle of not knowing what to do next. If you don't know how to do a bubble sort, let me know and I'll give putting it in an audio or writing it a shot.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#159306 - 09/09/08 02:28 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: Mama Red]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Have you ever noticed that the word "goal" is also one of those 4-letter words right along with "diet" and "dust?"

To me desires and goals are two different things.

A goal is a DESTINATION. IT should be specific, measurable, appropriate, realistic, and contain a set of timelines. Find one that meets your needs AND is measurable, and then you know where you're going and you can start creating it from there.

"You don't have to be great to get started, but you have to get started to be great."--Les Brown

A desire is an ASPIRATION.

#159311 - 09/09/08 04:06 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Goal? To be able to take photos on my OWN of products so I can post them here!

DH has the "professional" camera which I will NOT touch. All I want is a small camera...so many friends want to "see" simple products that I do not put on the web, but often times sell at the market locally. And they are so well received! Like my Cow Pie Soap! It's a hit! But wouldn't you want to SEE it?

We have a small camera but I need to be trained....and DH is too busy, too!

So, goal or ghoul?? My "ghost goal!!"!! LOL!!

#159510 - 09/11/08 03:25 AM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: jawjaw
Have you ever noticed that the word "goal" is also one of those 4-letter words right along with "diet" and "dust?"

To me desires and goals are two different things.

Yea that four letter word...'goal'.

Yea, I do have at least 1 goal..I have to get my next paid job. My current one is a contract job and will end some time next year.

yea, my immediate goal sure is measurable...that includes financially. smile

Yea, I got other goals....aspirations...that I have just seem nearly daunting..hard to focus on when I have little time left after coming home from work.

#159633 - 09/12/08 04:20 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Hey Chick, I know you didn’t ask for any suggestions for your book title, but these entered my mind, sooooo:

smirk Poker, Joker Schmoker!
smirk Pro Poker Princess!
smirk Full House!”, cackled the wicked witch.

My goals? Getting my book published, travelling through Europe, starting a book club, and getting Hubby to shave before he gets into bed.

#159643 - 09/12/08 06:41 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: Edelweiss2]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Ha ha great book names Eagle. A book club sounds like a great idea. I would call my book "A little pot never hurt anyone" ha ha just kidding.

#159648 - 09/12/08 08:11 PM Re: What is your current achievable goal? [Re: chickadee]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
That is an absolute fabulous name for a book about poker, Chick. I know how you jest sometimes... are you serious this time? If not, you should be... that one is just too clever.

My personal book would be blank pages for the first 25 chapters (you read that right - 25). I've played the game of naming my life's book before, along with coming up with something to put on my headstone.

So, EW, what is the title of your book? I remember you have a book, but don't remember hearing the title or subject matter.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved