The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#153952 - 07/21/08 10:38 PM Re: A resource a little late...wish I'd known!
Lani Offline

Loc: Northern California, USA
Here's the link to Moraga Retreat Board and Care:

http://www.moragaretreat.com/

It was affordable, and much of it was even covered with Dad's longterm care insurance.

Actually Dotsie (by the way, my Mom's name was Dorothy and Dad called her Dottie, so I think of her whenever see your name!) I have 2 sisters, one in Seattle and the other in Connecticut, and I'm in CA about 3 hours from where Dad was living, so I saw him the most but we all have shared every bit of caring for him in all the ways necessary this past year.

Lani

#158557 - 09/03/08 02:16 AM Re: A resource a little late...wish I'd known! [Re: Lani]
morninglory Offline

I'm just so glad to hear he enjoyed his years.
I feel that way about my Dad, too.
It's good to have. (that feeling)

Nice to meet you, Lani.

#158624 - 09/03/08 06:14 PM Re: A resource a little late...wish I'd known! [Re: morninglory]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Lani, so sorry about your dad. Glad you were able to be with him.

Those places...sounds a lot like the places we have in Hawaii. Hawaii has many residential care homes where 2 to 5 elder residents are allowed, just depending on the needs of the individuals. It is a nice income for the operators and almost like being in your own home.

#158738 - 09/04/08 07:23 PM Re: A resource a little late...wish I'd known! [Re: diamond50]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Interesting, we hav very few of them here. I'm thinking this is something boomers are going to be interested in doing.

#158742 - 09/04/08 07:37 PM Re: A resource a little late...wish I'd known! [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My mom and my brother recently moved into small apartments for elderly seniors only. The rent is set as to your income. Mom pays a little over $200.00 and brother pays $120.00 monthly. The places are roomy, windows, and clean and well lighted and they have numerous outings and get togethers with the other residents. The apartments are air coinditioned, there are laundry faculities in each building and the grounds are park like, with trees, a lake and fishing ponds... They are both happier living alone (finally.) And yet are only a building apart. Thats the way to go when old, especially if alone.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#158755 - 09/04/08 07:56 PM Re: A resource a little late...wish I'd known! [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Yeah, they play bunco, canista, all sort of cards games. They have a Red Hat Society group. There is a bus to take them shopping to the stores, or to the movies and then it picks them up again. It cost $2.00 a month to ride the bus as often as you like. They just had a bake sale, and are working on a craft show/sale next. Mom says theres never a dull moment. Its mostly women alone and my brother is in hog heaven because he is one of only four men there and he says the women are always coming by or making him baked goods and food. I think he thinks he died and went to heaven. He says he has become Giggelo Vince...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#158795 - 09/05/08 03:58 AM Re: A resource a little late...wish I'd known! [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
that's great chatty. It does sound abit strange that your mom and brother are in the same facility. How old is your mom?

#158796 - 09/05/08 07:54 AM Re: A resource a little late...wish I'd known! [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

Lani
how generous and heartwarming thatyou share the infomation about care facilities.
Hardwired...what an enderaaing term for long loved partners.
The hours you spent the day prior to your dad's passing will let you have solace,
I too cared for my Grandfather whilst he was a resident in a nice care facility.Between us (the staff) made him happy and despite his reluctance to be in a residential situation.
My friend helped..she brought him here early each Thursday..he had a home day where he was the centre of attention.Then Friday I took his shopping in.Weekends he joined us where we went.
I firmly believe he deserved all the input and although sad he no longer had his home his wife and neighbours things worked out.
I could do no other than be his rock.
He left a gap no other will fill.
Mountain ash

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved