The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 129 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#158395 - 09/01/08 01:12 PM Why spiders...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Can someone please tell me why spiders are necessary? There always seems to be 3 spiders lurking around. I'm wondering why? Thanks.

#158399 - 09/01/08 01:27 PM Re: Why spiders...? [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
A spider is a program that automatically fetches Web pages. Spiders are used to feed pages to search engines. It's called a spider because it crawls over the Web. Another term for these programs is webcrawler.

Because most Web pages contain links to other pages, a spider can start almost anywhere. As soon as it sees a link to another page, it goes off and fetches it.

Hope this helps.

#158407 - 09/01/08 02:15 PM Re: Why spiders...? [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
As far as I can recall from my days as a computer network admin, you WANT spiders to find your sites...in fact, some web designers used to have to pay (maybe they still do?) the big search engines (like Google) to include their web sites in any related search results. I know that you used to (maybe you still do?) have to insert specialized coding at the very beginning of the first page of your web site in order for the spiders to find you. In the case of sites that sell products, it's a very good thing to be found by a spider, because it drives more people to the site...advertisers are more inclined to pay for space on a site that will be found by spiders.

(Maya Angelou)

#158409 - 09/01/08 02:17 PM Re: Why spiders...? [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Correct on all counts, Eagle...

#158437 - 09/01/08 07:47 PM Re: Why spiders...? [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Okay, thanks. So a spider is part of the mechanics involved in
computer technology, if I understand you're answers correctly.
I misinterpreted the category. Thank you for clearing that up.
Appreciate it!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved