The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#157804 - 08/27/08 05:20 PM Re: "I" question [Re: keyholes]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
keyholes, absolutely. I was thinking of a possible teleseminar which is only one hour, but our writing topic deosn't come up again for quite a bit of time.

#157819 - 08/27/08 06:13 PM Re: "I" question [Re: Dotsie]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Thanks...my life is a little looney right now. I did not know you held telesminars!! I'll need to join in on one and get myself informed. I was thinking a regular class...like every week or so with a longer time commitment. I come here, read, post...and then I'm off again for days...

#157829 - 08/27/08 08:45 PM Re: "I" question [Re: keyholes]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Hi Keyholes

Thank you...and I'm glad that is what it conveys...whoo hoo!

Working with younguns will do that for ya, won't it? And a great thing too. I'm so glad you enjoy what you're doing and have the patience to work with younger folks. Sometimes that can be a real challenge. Do you work with, teach, both? Something else altogether?

I'm a "split" personality...half geek, half out there personality. When I used to attend STC conferences, people were forever confused. I did great "Type A, Press B" stuff or FrameMaker presentations, then turned around and did a presentation called "Can You Come Out to Play: Winning with Creativity". People were never quite sure what box to put me in (which I loved...suited me just fine).

What is funny is I feel I could write a 200 page software manual faster than I've been able to come up with bios, copy, etc. Arghghgh....I just want to get up and do my thing and have that stuff magically appear. Since that doesn't seem to be happening, despite all my dreaming, I'm learning how to do a completely different type of writing. And boy, has it been interesting!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#157886 - 08/28/08 01:34 PM Re: "I" question [Re: Mama Red]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
MammaRed, I couldn't agree more. I want to just write/speak. I want to get to the point that I can turn over all the PR stuff and the bla..bla..bla. to someone else, for Pete's sake. The marketing takes up sooooo much time, am I right?

Now ladies, I didn't want to cover up this great discussion with my own "stuff," but I wanted to get these calls for submissions to you.

See below:

Watershed: Literary Journal
Details: http://www.csuchico.edu/engl/wshed/guidelines.html

Watershed is a magazine of our environment and culture. By investigating the intersections between man and the environment, we address the question: "What is natural?" Informed by a need for cultural change, its pages provide a forum for provocative, creative and critical work that engage issues pertinent to the natural world in which we live.

Submission Deadlines--Fall issue: October 4th

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Call for Submissions: Tarpaulin Sky

Details: http://www.tarpaulinsky.com

Poetry / Prose / Transgenre work: Submissions are accepted throughout the year.

#157893 - 08/28/08 02:40 PM Re: "I" question [Re: Mama Red]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
MamaRed, most technical writers are like you. For me, once the "geek" day is done, I don't want to look at or touch my computer. Many many many tech writers I have worked with or known through the years have that capacity to go from geekdom to having the creative, free-spirited side. It's a quality that does make us successful in this career. You are able to pull yourself from the nitty gritty details to be able to make something terribly dull, boring, and detailed exciting and come to life for a non-technical person.

The truth be told, I haven't been to an STC conference in five years LOL. I'm still active in the org, but basically enough to maintain membership and contacts through SIGs and two Ohio chapters.

I work and teach. I work for pay by writing documentation for a firm that does virtual reality and animation/simulation for training, conferencing, and commercial purposes. By night I am an unpaid adult tech ed instructor for a local church/United Way organization. It's an organization that provide free or low-cost job skill training and GED education for underprivileged individuals/families.

I often find myself gravitating towards non-profit volunteerism. Before I moved to Columbus, I was a SCORE volunteer and did the PR/marketing/promo work for a chapter of SCORE in SW Ohio. I have a very "business" like management-type side to me and SCORE was just one of those very worthy organizations that appealed to me that way...they counsel, assist, help finding funding for, and promote small businesses through retired executives providing all of the free counseling and assistance. That is a great organization, but I'm also fairly schizo in some ways. My education in college was in English/comm and in marketing, so that for me was my "release" of creativity. I just never "felt" the need to do the motivational/creative/spiritual type writing. Creativity for me comes out in other ways...cooking, photography, arts/crafts. If I have to even LOOK at a computer when I'm not working or volunteering, I wanna puke grin

#157923 - 08/28/08 06:59 PM Re: "I" question [Re: jawjaw]
Mama Red Offline

Hi JJ

I sooooooooooo know what you mean. Although I did have a salesperson for my techie business (www.simplywritten.com) at one time and boy, I'm not sure which was harder...helping him learn the ropes or doing it myself! 'Course I was a rank newbie at sales, employees and all the rest (oh, now that I think of it, that hasn't changed...grin). My coaches have been after me for months to write bios, articles, and topic summaries and I managed to brainwash myself, until last week, into believing I a) couldn't write them and b) couldn't afford to have someone else write them for me (and, of course, no one else could possibly write for me...giggle). Moving to this side of my personality has been a journey in transformation and easing up on myself negative self talk. I help others stop that...guess that is what I need to learn, eh?

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

#157945 - 08/28/08 08:37 PM Re: "I" question [Re: keyholes]
Mama Red Offline

Hi Keyholes

They are, eh? Boy, to hear others talk, they think I'm an "oddball". I have a degree in marketing (in my presentations intros I used to say I have a BS in Marketing...and yes, I know that is a redundant statement...got some good giggles from that one). I also had a minor in Marketing Research...although I tell you what, most of what they taught me is so old, so out of date, and so not applicable to a one woman show that I wonder if I imagined getting my degree! One of my gifts was making technology interesting...maybe because I have a very quirky sense of humor and often made fun of the technology we were learning.

I haven't been to an STC conference in quite a while either. I keep my membership active because if I don't I would need to start over if I want to move from Associate Fellow to Fellow and that seemed like more work than I wanted to do!

So, you're in the Buckeye State, eh? I was originally born in Columbus and still have a lot of family around the Columbus, Cincinnati, Mansfield area.

It sounds like you have a HUGE heart given the nonprofit volunteer activities you're involved in. I was the beneficiary of several SCORE consultants many years ago and always appreciated the time they put into help others. Sounds like that is your gift too. My thanks to you, on behalf of those learning about business, for sharing your gifts so willingly.

I keep saying I'm going to do other things...and used to do cardmaking as a fun thing. However, for whatever reason, I seem to come back to talking...whether as a speaker or a coach and am now choosing to convert the old tape of "Jerilynne talks too much" into a way to make a living!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved