The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#156296 - 08/14/08 05:03 AM Re: "Luck" [Re: Eagle Heart]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Gims, it was hard for me too when I questioned my religion and found myself ... somewhere else. Not that I abandoned who I was, but I became something less defined by other people's confines. Yes, it's freeing, because you become what you're supposed to be and not what other people want to define you as.

Religion is an earthly concept designed to help us connect with the Divine. When I stopped worrying about earthly definitions (including formal religion) I saw so much more.

So many people are afraid to ask the "wrong" questions. The answers are inside of us, and beyond us.

back to earlier questions in this thread: I have no problems with controlled gambling (like Chick does.) The only problem with gambling is that for some people, it becomes a destructive addiction. But this is not that.

As for fate/luck, the Universe leads us to water, and we decide what to do when we get there.

Poet and essayist

#156300 - 08/14/08 05:46 AM Re: "Luck" [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: meredithbead
Gims, it was hard for me too when I questioned my religion and found myself ... somewhere else. Not that I abandoned who I was, but I became something less defined by other people's confines. Yes, it's freeing, because you become what you're supposed to be and not what other people want to define you as.

Religion is an earthly concept designed to help us connect with the Divine. When I stopped worrying about earthly definitions (including formal religion) I saw so much more.

So many people are afraid to ask the "wrong" questions. The answers are inside of us, and beyond us.

You do not know how many times I've wished that I could fly out and spend a day (or more) with you, meredith. I would so enjoy a day or better talking with you about how you live in a world where man's religions cause us to live in a maze. The 'freedom' I referred to (and of which I feel you - & EH - fully understand) is new to me... I'm fearful, at times, that I'm adjusting my belief formula to my detriment. But, then when I apply logic, I can't turn back. I don't think anyone understands what position this puts me in as far as my family is concerned. I have to hold my tongue more these days (this needs more explanation, but I don't want to go there right now).

...back to earlier questions in this thread: I have no problems with controlled gambling (like Chick does.) The only problem with gambling is that for some people, it becomes a destructive addiction....
... and, if I might add, sometimes leads to a worship of money - which is a Biblical sin.

As for fate/luck, the Universe leads us to water, and we decide what to do when we get there.
Would it not be true to say, if there was no luck, our life would be predestined, a product of fate? To me, fate is more like a predetermined end... death is our ultimate fate, something that cannot necessarily - considering the Biblical rapture - be changed. Can we make/change our own luck? I think, yes. Can we effect our own fate? I can't say yes to that. Could be some of that religion seeping into my thinking - predestination, and all.

#156304 - 08/14/08 06:20 AM Re: "Luck" [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Gims, I don't have a guest room but would be happy to pitch a sleeping bag for you in my bead room! grin

I used to know all the "correct" religious answers -- until one day I realized that the entire game was just that: a GAME. You vs. Me, Us vs. Them. A man-made game where winner takes all, and losers (depending on your particular orientation) are either condemned to hell or a life of unredeemable stupidity. Maybe burnt at a stake or subjugated to 2nd-class (or lower) status.

When I walked off the playing field, my world became larger and so much brighter.

To me, the Bible is one of many great books -- and life cannot be contained in any book. I also don't mean to insult anyone by that statement -- I've stated before that whatever makes you a better, more loving person -- is the right path for you.

It doesn't matter if anyone else here has the exact same beliefs as I do, because that's the old Us vs. Them. I don't want to prove anything, argue anything, or proselytize.

I'm interested in what unites us.

Poet and essayist

#156310 - 08/14/08 06:55 AM Re: "Luck" [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Meredith, the temptation is unbearable...don't be surprised if I take you up on it... whether I do or not, thank you for even considering it...

#156315 - 08/14/08 07:16 AM Re: "Luck" [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Just give me a week's notice so I can rent a blow torch to clean this place.

Poet and essayist

#156362 - 08/14/08 02:50 PM Re: "Luck" [Re: meredithbead]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
You could both come to my place...words cannot adequately describe how much I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to sit and talk about exactly this stuff with you two!

Oh, I wish there was some way to encapsulate what's been happening in my spiritual life lately. Powerful, but also somewhat frightening because it DOES mean having to walk away from "the game" and I still don't know how I can do that or what exactly I'm walking into. I know It's bigger and brighter than I can imagine, and that it makes infinitely more sense than what I've believed up til now.

The problem is that you cannot "unsee" once you're able to "see with new eyes". I can't go back to the old (and somewhat comfy) beliefs again. They don't - well, GOD DOESN'T - fit anymore.

I'm at a spiritual crossroads. Read too much, seen too much to turn back, but still lingering waiting for "proof" that the way ahead is the right way to go.

Which is why I would LOVE (x3) to sit and share vision-and-possibilities.

My door is open. Two spare beds. Anytime (except October).

(Maya Angelou)

#156559 - 08/15/08 09:48 PM Re: "Luck" [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My door is always open as well, blow torch not a factor, here its you take it as it comes...good or not so good!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#156597 - 08/16/08 09:31 AM Re: "Luck" [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I take occasional classes at a place called The Well. All denominations are welcome. No one is right - no one is wrong. Everyone has a voice. As I've shared with Eagle in the past, I'd love to have her there with me, and the rest of you too. It is through our differences that we are made to think and question, stretch and grow our faiths. It has been much more helpful than being in studies with all Presbyterians at my church. We are made to think outside the box, consider how other thougths and beliefs can fit in with our own, and also embrace one another for our similarities, instead of being afraid of our differences. I enjoy capturing that spirit here at BWS.

I recenetly read a book that I highly recommend. It's called The Faith Club. It wasn't a quick, easy read for me. It took me a couple months to get through it (I always read a couple books at a time). It's written by a Christian, a Muslim and a Jew who were all in NYCity on 9/11. They meet over the course of a year or so to discuss their faith - why they believe what they believe. It's beautiful. They origianally set out to write a book for children to understand one another's faiths, but decided adults also needed the book. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Faith-Club-Muslim-...0378&sr=8-1

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved