The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#108425 - 02/21/07 04:49 AM Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists ?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well, it's just he and I. Food kitty money set aside each week....is ...$60.00CAN. Covers food, and less often, toilet paper, kleenex, kitchen wrapping materials, dishwashing powder & laundry detergent.

This doesn't count going out occasionally for a meal/weekend lunch snack.

We buy primarily fresh foods. The packaged foods we buy (and not all time) are: some dried chinese foods, spices, pasta, phyllo pastry, some fresh juices...

And neither of us, make grocery shopping list(s) in advance -except if one of us wants to prepare a special dish/ meal...then the person will make an effort to get ingredients.

It works for us..probably because no children are presently living with us. Each of us know each others' palate but we are adventurous. So no need to consult in advance. We also individually buy here and there if each person alone, sees a good deal or can remember something that we are low/don't have, some groceries, every few days. Maybe 2-4 items are purchased each time.

We trust each other that we won't overindulge in overspending on 1 food item. We each come from family backgrounds where each of our mothers were immigrant and cooked up meals from nearly nothing.

My dearie also used to be a weekend farmer, so he tends to buy fresh produce and believes in supporting local farms. (Now I think I've concocted a man with hayseeds in his beard...this plus cycling.)

It does help we want (I said want) to be moving more consistently towards a healthy diet.

Edited by orchid (02/21/07 04:58 AM)

#108426 - 02/23/07 06:14 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: orchid]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I can't go into a grocery store without a list. I'm a list maker for a lot of things. I keep a running list on the counter and I add to it as I go about each day. Some days the list only contains about 10 items or so. This last week it contained about 25. It's only my husband and myself at home. But, I buy a lot of the "Buy one get one free" sales and put the extra item away for my daughter and her husband. And, at Winn Dixie, they have a free coupon sale every week. If you spend over $25 you get up to 3 items free on their coupon sale list. I usually get those and put them away from my daughter as well.

I don't do a lot of shopping in the 'middle' of the store. I tend to stick to the outer aisles and keep to the fresh food areas. Dairy, meat, produce, etc. I do buy pasta and pasta sauce. And tuna fish. so I enter the middle once in a while.

We also have a dog and a bird, so we have to include shopping for them. Food, treats, toys, etc. I'm trying to buy my dog's food by the case, so that it's less expensive. Definitely buy it from Petsmart instead of the grocery store. This wee the grocery store was 18 cents higher. And, the company that makes my bird's food just increased their prices. Blaming it on the higher cost of corn. Sheesh. A bag that used to cost $9 now cost $12.

I do all the shopping for groceries and stuff for the house. My husband does all the shopping for electronics and computers. Any high cost items (usually more than $100) we confer on.

I don't have a set amount each month to spend. But I try to keep the costs down. Sometimes, it's "Stock Up" day so I go over my "suggested" amount. I try to hit the sales and stock up then. When toilet paper is on sale, I buy enough for a couple of months. The same with paper towels and laundry detergent. I have to save money where ever I can. One thing we will not run out of in my house - toilet paper. LOL
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#108427 - 02/23/07 06:23 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Funny---I just stumbled across this site which has grocery list you can print out, and other printables. Might be worth your time to print them out???

Anyway, I don't even know if they are free or have a cost associated with them, but you can check and see. I haven't gotten that far yet.

http://donnayoung.org/household/fullsize/kitchen/index.htm

#108428 - 02/23/07 11:13 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm one of those who makes the list and then leaves it home on the kitchen counter!

#108429 - 02/24/07 09:18 AM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: TVC15]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Me too, I have to force myself to put the list in my purse!
Cindy

#108430 - 02/24/07 08:32 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: diamond50]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I usually buy the same old same old once a week. I always have the last grocery reciept with me. I give it the once over, to see what I have run out of. kind of like taking stock. I keep a counter list of 'run out of occasionally' items, like razors, dishwashing powder, cards, bubblewrap, etc.

chick

#108431 - 02/28/07 05:21 AM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

I don't do a lot of shopping in the 'middle' of the store. I tend to stick to the outer aisles and keep to the fresh food areas. Dairy, meat, produce, etc. I do buy pasta and pasta sauce. And tuna fish. so I enter the middle once in a while.

We also have a dog and a bird, so we have to include shopping for them. Food, treats, toys, etc. I'm trying to buy my dog's food by the case, so that it's less expensive. Definitely buy it from Petsmart instead of the grocery store. This wee the grocery store was 18 cents higher. And, the company that makes my bird's food just increased their prices. Blaming it on the higher cost of corn. Sheesh. A bag that used to cost $9 now cost $12.

I never thought of the outer edges of store shopping vs. inner. Except if you want some dynamic spicing up of your dishes, you must go further in.

If I have time, I actually enjoy looking at some of the things which I don't buy but muse over what the ingredient is used for. And it knocks me out to see all the different brands of olive oil, balsamic vinegar...

In the diary area I would buy skim or 1% milk that lasts me almost wks. tofu, egg whites, soy cheese and occasionally low fat cottage cheese or sour cream. It's him that loads up on his fat-free yogurt. But yea, we use same stuff for yogurt sauces.

am excited to try this tub of hot Thai green curry paste. It's so much, it will last us for the next few months. Just a few large tablespoons for a super kick...

but getting back on topic... I'm often intrigued to see while standing in line, what people will buy with their food kitty. My choices on the conveyor belt look pretty staid (to me) but perhaps not to some others.

#108432 - 03/01/07 02:22 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, my sister taught me the outer shopping theory and I love it. It wasn't possible to do when the kids were home but now that it's just Ross and I it's much easier. I still creep within for juice, crackers, cereal, Tostito's, tuna, peanut butter and sauces.

I keep a list on the fridge so I can write things down as we run out. Our cupboards are bare in comparison to when the kids were here. We had an ice storm a couple weeks ago and it's the first time I thought there might not be enough food in the house if we got stranded. I'm learning that the less options in the fridge and cupboards, the less I eat. No fun, but true.

orchid, I also like to see what ohters buy. Sometimes I learn about new products that way. I have no problem asking them if they like such and such.

#108433 - 03/01/07 04:16 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
My partner and I shop together weekly at our local food co-op. We buy mostly fresh produce, organic and locally grown. We shop at Trader Joe's for some items - their organic 3 cheese pizza that we top ourselves, and wild- caught Alaskan salmon. We don't usually make a list but buy what's on sale or looks like a good deal. In winter we eat lots of soups; in summer lots of salads. We also buy canned goods when they are on sale for our 'emergency supply' stash, which also contains first aid supplies and water. The emergency stash gets recycled periodically so everything is fresh - just in case. On our vet's recommendation, we just switched our cats and dogs to food we buy at our local feed store. I have to say it has made a big difference for our geriatric cats and for the dogs. They seem livelier, and the one dog's skin allergies have almost disappeared. Dogs and cats get almost the same things, lots of meat and low grain; no wheat or lamb but mostly brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#108434 - 03/28/07 03:43 AM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: yonuh]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
El Hubbo is Mr. Coupon and does most of his grocery shopping around what's on sale. He'll get boxes of pasta with seasonings for 20 cents, and a lot of other stuff I'd never buy but he thinks it's a good deal because it's cheap.

I rarely set foot in the bigger grocery stores where he coupons. I do enjoy Trader Joe's and Henry's Markets. Most of our produce is fresh from the farmers' market.

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved