The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#108445 - 08/04/08 03:19 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Cookie made a point... our $$$ includes cleaning supplies, paper goods, personal hygiene products, lightbulbs and other extras, which can be high $$. For instance, an $11 broom.

True, but we don't buy bathroom supplies every week. Same for lightbulbs.

This is the advantage of living in a small home for 2 people, with 1 bathroom, 1 bedroom- condo. Less lightbulbs, less rolls of toilet paper...less cleaning...less...less..less. And since I am still earning money, I cover my own hygiene products...He doesn't use them...since he's sensitive to any hint of fragrance.

So grocery bill is primarily...for eating..

#108446 - 08/04/08 06:43 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I rarely buy non-food items in a grocery store, as the mark-up is much higher than buying at a discount store.

Poet and essayist

#108447 - 08/04/08 08:14 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Ditto for me as well Meredith. I buy things like toilet paper, towel paper etc. in bulk when there a good sale and have shelves to store it on.

I have to tell you I was one that boo-hoo'd those dollar stores in the beginnig BUT I have to take it all back, because I am buying more and more things there and so are my friends, the ones with money too... It is amazing what can be found in these stores sometimes.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#108448 - 08/04/08 08:22 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: chatty lady]
Mountain Ash Offline

Chatty
we have £1 stores and some laughed to begin with.BUT the garden department is really good.I still induge at a garden centre.When a special thing is nededBut the sandwich bags and shamppos etc are same as other shops for much less.
Mountain ash

#155385 - 08/07/08 11:40 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty, I'm with you on the dollar stores. We have them all over the place. The bargains one can find are amazing. FYI: they have good sugar-free candy for diabetics, but don't eat too much of it because it can make you sick. It's good for the occasional sweet tooth. A dollar a bag. You can't beat it.

#155392 - 08/07/08 12:26 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I'm one of those people who want to get in, get it done, and get home... the reason why I apply the "one-stop-shopping" method. My grocer is the closest to me, nothing between it and me, so I buy most there, unless I have something unusual to do that takes me further into a multi-shopping area. I don't even pass a dollar store on my way to the post office and library (my second most frequented stops). We are smack dab in between two major shopping amenities, equal distance as a matter of fact, but I keep from venturing beyond my small little world...

#155451 - 08/07/08 07:34 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: gims]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I feel the exact same way, Gims....get in, get it done, and get home! We have a MEGA wal-mart here, which I absolutely HATE, but I really have no choice but to shop there because of the prices. When the new Wal-Mart was built, the construction crew drove around on golf carts to get to one end of the store to the other. As shoppers,we have to walk from one end of the store for food, and then other end of the store for supplies, and pass by a bunch of crap that they threw in between. I usually go first thing in the morning after I have had a goods nights sleep because I will be exhausted when I get home from sprinting all over the store. And you must keep an eye out for the elderly and disabled folks that are buzzin' all over the store in those motorized carts. LOOK OUT! shocked Did I mention I hate that Big A** Wal-Mart store! Only good thing I can say about it is that it is doing it's part for over-weight America. This is why I asked in another post if supplies was included in the amount of money a person spends on groceries each month. I can't separate the two unless I make two trips. crazy

#155486 - 08/07/08 08:47 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: Cookie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
MY God Cookie, I could have written the same post, word for word. I HATE, HATE, HATE shopping unless I am looking for yarn, that I love!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#155529 - 08/08/08 02:35 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: chatty lady]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I am with you gals on the dollar stores. I feel no guilt or shame when I take all my grandkids and "let 'em rip" in the store for whatever they want. The one place I don't have to say no to them, LOL!!

As for groceries, we buy most things from Costco including non-groceries so I would have to check the receipts.

#155534 - 08/08/08 02:56 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: diamond50]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hate it with a passion. I am thinking about doing my grocery shopping online now that the store here offers it. Load n Go sounds so easy. Still gotta drag it in and put it away.
I was going to open a dollar store in Canada about 20 yrs ago when they were quite rare in the whole province, but I had a partner who didn't think we should. 6 months later one went in the mall...still there and making money. Many surfaced since but we could have franchised...grrr.

I shop online for practically everything and find it so convenient.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved