The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#151933 - 06/26/08 06:47 AM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I miss coupons. It has not caught up as well here as there. However, my daughter and I always go for the BOGOF...buy one get one free. I've also started buying generic brands especially medicines. Future DIL, daughter and son have all said that these are comparable to brand names. The only difference is just that. Brand. And the mark up in price is quite stark. A bottle of store paracetamol would fetch £0.99...a brand name of same quantity would be over £2.50

#151934 - 06/26/08 01:42 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
My youngest son use to be in the biz...he told me that MANY store-brand items were the identical BRAND name items, they just change the label and dropped the price. Also, same with generics. So from that moment on, I bought the cheaper priced ones. PERIOD.

#151935 - 06/26/08 01:46 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I didn't know Aldi and Lidl are international. We have both of those stores in our town, among 5 other grocery stores. It's the joke of the town , because only 7000 residents live here. Do they know something we don't? Well, NY started off as a village too.

We use our freezer alot, and save on bargains by buying bulk and freezing. Although the electricy isn't a bargain anymore either.

#151936 - 06/27/08 08:41 AM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Things are booming around here, just like they did in the 70s and 80s when 'oil' was a problem. After the big problems in the 80s, Houston diversified, having mainly been a port and oil industry area. Now, they have finance, tech, fashion, better tourism, medical (a major draw), sports, and still oil and the port. My SNL and I were just talking about this night before last. We both concurred, it all puts a bigger target on the area - for terrorist action, that is.

We've been living on a shoestring for so long, we pretty much have it down to a science. What's in my wallet - books of stamps, one credit card, my library card, my address book, my check book (which I never use), and some small bills.
Speaking of cash, another thing my SNL mentioned to me --- he said he and his friends are carrying more cash these days. He's also made sure his and his families' (our oldest daughter and their four children) passports are current. He intends to fly this joint if things get too bad (in his eyes) for the six of them. I'm glad he told me, because I'll be right behind them... pulling our other daughter and her family with us.

#151937 - 06/27/08 08:49 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: gims]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Cobwebs and moths!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#151938 - 06/28/08 04:11 AM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Speaking of cash, another thing my SNL mentioned to me --- he said he and his friends are carrying more cash these days. He's also made sure his and his families' (our oldest daughter and their four children) passports are current. He intends to fly this joint if things get too bad (in his eyes) for the six of them. I'm glad he told me, because I'll be right behind them... pulling our other daughter and her family with us.

Where would you go to live outside of the U.S. if things got bad?

Actually I've avoided using debit card. Paying some small weekly things with cash, forces very much to pay attention to spending real money.

#151939 - 06/28/08 01:52 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: orchid]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah Gims, where would you go to live?

#151940 - 06/28/08 02:02 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm using coupons, consolidating errands, making simple/cheap meals, line drying clothes, setting A/C @ 78 & using ceiling fans.

My biggest problem is vehicle. I've a horse and board at a stable about 8 miles from house. My Ford Mustang was on its last leg and I needed a truck w/ towing capacity for the horse. Although I don't have (and can't yet afford) a horse trailer, I bought a new truck in February with towing capacity in the event needed -- I've used it for such to tow him with a borrowed trailer and for hay, pinestraw, etc. I like my truck, yet I've not had a car payment for 12 years and the gas is a bear! Not much luck finding a car pool buddy, either.

I may make fliers and advertise for car poolers. My hope is that in a few years the economy will improve, sell my home at a profit, and buy at least 2.5 acres myself, horse, pets, and perhaps a goat. We'll all retire together!

I've switched my mobile phone to my parents family plan for $10 per mth, which saves me $35 per mth. Don't have cable. Have the $5 netflix plan and check out DVDs from library along with books (walk to library from office, post office and bank to save gas).

Yet, with all the above, its all absorbed by rising gas prices.

#151941 - 06/28/08 02:42 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Lola]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I don't BLAME anyone for being worried; our economy is a worrisome situation. Why did builders build such big, expensive houses, with vaulted ceilings, etc.; the utilities and taxes had to be enormous. Gov't spends money on crazy stuff. 60 Minutes had a clip about them spending billions of dollars to save salmon. And every now and again you'll hear about projects that seem to costs huge sums and it makes you wonder if that money couldn't have been used in a wiser area. They say stock market speculators are driving up the price of oil. So why somebody doesn't stop the incline, I haven't a clue. Let's agree to pray 4 the American economy. Actually, I'm sure U already R!!! And the money that Americans give to disaster relief that's squandered or stolen, is another issue that should be re-routed toward more honest shoulders!!!!

Edited by jabber (06/28/08 02:44 PM)

#151942 - 06/29/08 12:46 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Gims, I too am interested in knowing where your SNL plans to go...I might want to go as well!

It's been my experience from traveling that every area of this country has it's problems and I don't see a "safe place" to go if the economy gets too bad. Seems you would be trading one set of problems for another.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved