The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#151922 - 06/25/08 09:38 AM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: dancer9]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
1) Grown your own food, or some of it
2) Carpool (an obvious one)
3) Open your windows and shut off the air cond. when you can and this will help to lower your utility bill.
4) Walk whenever possible to pick up groceries and other small errands (This is one I will commit to)
5) Wear my clothes more than once before washing
6) Keep those phones, toothbrushes, etc. unplugged unless they need charging.
7) Use more coupons and pay more attention to sales
8) Buy in bulk at places like Sam's Club or Costco and do so with a Buddy...share the expense of the bill, and split the goodies.
9) Also make a garden with a buddy, that way, you don't have to do ALL of the work...you could rotate
10) Gulp...cut off cell phones
11) Buy clothes and toys for the grandchildren over Ebay or flee markets.
12) Use the library more, instead of buying books
13) Concentrate on recreation near you, instead of miles away.
14) Dry clothes outside, instead of the drier.

#151923 - 06/25/08 10:30 AM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
3) Open your windows and shut off the air cond. when you can and this will help to lower your utility bill.
4) Walk whenever possible to pick up groceries and other small errands (This is one I will commit to)
8) Buy in bulk at places like Sam's Club or Costco and do so with a Buddy...share the expense of the bill, and split the goodies.
9) Also make a garden with a buddy, that way, you don't have to do ALL of the work...you could rotate
15) Embrace your LOCAL community for anything possible.
16) Make cards and thoughtful gifts (be creative).

#151924 - 06/25/08 01:01 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet?
Mountain Ash Offline

Work out for yourself
what are wants and what are needs.
Mountain ash

#151925 - 06/25/08 02:02 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Mountain Ash]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
15) Embrace your LOCAL community for anything possible.
16) Make cards and thoughtful gifts (be creative).
17) Work out for yourself
18) What are wants and what are needs
19) Use home remedies instead of buying expensive cleaners. (I use 1/2 baking soda and 1 cup vinegar to unclog drains)
20) Pull out old jigsaw puzzles for entertainment

#151926 - 06/25/08 04:26 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
MA, great thought. I often remind my kids that they WANT something, they don't NEED it.

JJ, thanks for the puzzle reminder. My daughter loves doing them. It's time to get on eo nthe kitchen table, or the ping pong table which doesn't get used any more.

#151927 - 06/25/08 07:55 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet?
Mountain Ash Offline

It keeps getting reported that many here in the UK are tossing out food.Buying stuff and it goes out of date.One programme had a food economist call at a couples home and show them how to avoid this.
Also careful shopping.Not buying from the one supermarket.We have German (EW you will know them Lidl and Aldi) where food is cheaper.To begin with people were wary but many have swung to these discount supermarkets.
I tend to buy the best quality I can,,wherever I judge it to be.In season locally we have veg and fruit.Soon my own tomatoes apples and plums.Redcurants blackcurrants.
Potatoes grown at a neighbours far,Leeks and carrots.
As a young wife I never wasted food.Now I admit to having done so a few times..and felt bad about this.On reflection I think it was bad planning believing the family wanted choice and trying to be "a good provider" .this is since they were adults.I strive to waste no more...Cant say I did it to extremes but I did go off the rails...
Mountain ash

#151928 - 06/25/08 08:53 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
MA, I get a few things from Lidl and Aldi, too. I have always done so since they opened in London. I love their biscuits, tinned sardines and juices. I buy most of these from them. What I don't understand is how it was once thought so downmarket here. Most of its goods are those found in supermarkets in the continent, with continental prices at that. One of the girls at my firm scowled at Lidl and Aldi until she travelled to the continent and found the same items I told her about. Well, I guess, some people are just funny.

#151929 - 06/25/08 09:22 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Lola]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
The Aldi's here in our area require you put a quarter in for a cart, other than that I like the tores and find great buys there. But, I'm always lurking around the parking lot to purchase a cart before it goes back into the dreaded slot machine. Then I am either back out peddling my cart for my quarter back or loose my quarter cause I can't return the carts any better than I get them out. To me that's not the least bit embarrassing, I actually find it to be quite amusing in an hysterical way... More so when I recieve a quarter and a pitiful look.
Another way to save a bit it look for items with a bonus IE: Larger amount for same price or hermetically sealed sample or travel size product attached. As well as watch sale flyers for items used that you also have a coupon for. TIP: If you like a product and go online to company website, brag on their product I've found that about 75% of the time you get a coupon or free sample in the mail later on. Same hold true when dissatisfied Voice it and they usually refund in some fashion. I e-mailed Jimmy Dean a bit back and asked about the expireation dates, were they sell by or use by: To be safe they told me to not use the product and sent me 2 coupons for FREE of the same as I had let get to the due date. WHAT? I almost felt guilty.

#151930 - 06/25/08 10:00 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Q_ball]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh I am one of those consumers that your product better do/taste/perform like you promote it or you WILL get a call/letter/email from MOI. Oh yeah, sure do. And I also am that consumer who calls you and says, "I just wanted you to know you are my new best friend. I LOVE your _____." Fill in the blank.

I get coupons all the time for the pros and cons comments and believe it to be my right as a consumer to do so/get so! LOL!

It's the only way they will make a better product or know that the one they have WORKS!

#151932 - 06/26/08 01:34 AM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I carry an envelope in my purse with my coupons in there. When I get new ones, I add them to the envelope. Every once in a while, I go through the envelope and throw away ones that have expired, or that I want to give to someone else. What I don't like are manufacturers who put 50 cents off if you buy six of ____ You fill in the blank. This usually means you have to spend six bucks to get 50 cents off of a product you only use occasionally. That burns me up. Bargain? HA! Some bargain...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved