The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#151911 - 06/21/08 09:25 PM Whats in Your Wallet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its getting rough. Yet, the government is eating well! Not only well, but much better than most of the USA!

Why are we paying for their meals? Supreme Court Justices are eating $15 salads for lunch and say they're roughing it; whereas, I'm lucky if I find something for around $5 or brown bag it.

Local lumbar company is closing b/c housing market slump. Over 160 people have already or will lose their jobs.

My step-dad has not been paid for over 6 weeks and parents living on savings. They may apply for SS soon and work part time jobs. (Yet, he has heart condition)

So very worried -- people are living on credit cards. Wal-Mart was virtually empty last night.

Neighbors are selling home (divorce) thousands less than new homes in neighborhood of comparible size.

Food, gas, utilities, etc. -- you all know its going up.

Companies are laying off, hospitals are understaffed with nurses, store closings (i.e., Goody's, Exxon, etc.), gosh!

Wish I'd chosen a medical field, which is very promising these days!

Neighbor mentioned today that find working is tough. Her sister is one the employees who lost job at lumbar company. Says that those who have a job, best to keep it and not complain!

What are ya'll experiencing in your local? Do you see any positive improvement or forecast?

#151912 - 06/22/08 01:10 AM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am concerned, too, Mustang. I think about retiring, and then, as much as my job just isn't doing it for me and as much as my love needs me at home, I am not sure that we can afford it right now.

But, in all fairness....I've been in DC and a $15 salad probably isn't very much. I can get away with a cheap lunch - a school lunch can be purchased for 3.50 - but most cannot. I have to think that most of these DC people are doing working lunches and brown bagging it most days won't cut it.

The housing market has hurt so many. Around here, it is beginning to rally a bit, but only on older homes. We have built up the new housing and condo and townhouse phenomenon to adnauseum. The area has built up far beyond capacity.

Your step dad has not worked? I am sorry your family has been directly affected by this slump.

I wonder what it will take to change our forecast? I do know that everything is cyclical, and that it will come around. But, just how will it affect each of us and all of our loved ones?

I wonder what each of us could do to affect a change in the current events?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#151913 - 06/22/08 04:26 AM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Anno]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
The rising gas prices have led to higher ridership on
our public transportation. More people are carpooling to
work.
People are thinking twice about retiring.

#151914 - 06/22/08 01:59 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: diamond50]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I surely do not know the answer but believe all of this is a great wake up call to Americans to simplify their lives. I know I have. And to be quite honest, the more simple I make my life, the better I like it.

However, we still have needs such as groceries, banking, etc...and we have evolved to this. In other words, we still have to go to town (buy gas), some still have to travel where the work may be, and downsizing for some is not an option for one reason or another.

Are we in a recession? Heck, we've been in one!

Have we seen the fallout from all of this? Not even the tip of the iceberg. Unemployment breeds more poverty and with that comes higher crime. Let's just hope it doesn't come down to people stealing to eat.

I hate to sound like the voice of gloom and doom, but are we going to replace the "re" with a de?"

Here are some happier thoughts. More and more people are starting to grow their own food and this is a good thing. Maybe we should start a list of things we can do to offset some of the rising cost? It's a supply and demand thing. Anybody else want to join in? If so copy and paste this and add your own...wanna?

1) Grown your own food, or some of it
2) Carpool (an obvious one)
3) Open your windows and shut off the air cond. when you can and this will help to lower your utility bill.

next?

#151915 - 06/22/08 02:12 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
3) Open your windows and shut off the air cond. when you can and this will help to lower your utility bill.
4) Walk whenever possible to pick up groceries and other small errands (This is one I will commit to)
5) Wear my clothes more than once before washing
6) Keep those phones, toothbrushes, etc. unplugged unless they need charging.

next?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#151916 - 06/24/08 02:30 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
4) Walk whenever possible to pick up groceries and other small errands (This is one I will commit to)
5) Wear my clothes more than once before washing
6) Keep those phones, toothbrushes, etc. unplugged unless they need charging.
7) Use more coupons and pay more attention to sales
8) Buy in bulk at places like Sam's Club or Costco and do so with a Buddy...share the expense of the bill, and split the goodies.
9) Also make a garden with a buddy, that way, you don't have to do ALL of the work...you could rotate
10) Gulp...cut off cell phones

#151918 - 06/24/08 06:29 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: ]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Interesting..interesting. We aren´t feeling it yet..the way you are..but it is creeping up on us with high gas prices..they have always been much higher than the US due to heavy taxation..and yesterday, when we ordered in pizza..the delivery guy apologized for yet another increase in prices..because the ingredients cost much more than they did before..and they don´t know were it will stop...

Don´t like the signs, ladies..but do like the suggestions of how to do it more simply. I think we are pretty sinple here in some ways ..but there is always need for more..hmmm...

#151919 - 06/24/08 09:58 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: humlan]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
I've started a practice of spending cash VS quick drawing out the debit or credit card for quickie trips in the store & most pruchases under $20 -50. Believe it or not it can make you think a bit more before buying the little not necessary last minute extras that add up so fast.

#151920 - 06/24/08 10:05 PM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Q_ball]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I soooooo get you, Qball. I also make sure that I stick to my list when I shop for food and sundry so none go to waste. I also work on previous receipts and calculate how much cash I'd need to shop with. Costs do pile up when one flashes a card.

#151921 - 06/25/08 12:44 AM Re: Whats in Your Wallet? [Re: Lola]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
People are really hurting in Arizona! There are people drilling holes in gas tanks on cars. There are people losing their homes right and left or selling them for ridiclas prices. I am watching one friend who owns two homes loose them both!

In Tucson, an area of about a million plus, we are a resort town with no real commerce. This is a city of world class resorts and golf courses.

There is a cut back in the amount of money that those who would come here and enjoy such things, /AND, it's 111 degrees, so many here who live of tourists are getting hurt very badly. The housing market here is a major problem.

Crime is up, street crime and the sort of personal crime where people are mugged for money.

I and my husband can and are, well, semi retired. We have had enough money, thank God, to live on from our previous careers so we do not have to rely on a job. If we did, Tucson would have booted us out as it is others.

The University of Arizona here is still strong and will stay so. It will employ, as usual, those that it employs.
But...
Yes, it so sad to see the people who relied on that paycheck month to month go under and loose their homes!

Good topic!

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved