The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#160248 - 09/18/08 10:31 PM Re: Mammogram: Waiting for Results [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Chatty,
The last mammo I had came back with a problem and I had to go for another they called a compression. Well never again. That
compression was okay. Thank God. But what I went thru during
the gap between the two, was not funny. Haven't had another
mammo since. That was a couple years ago. I hate those things.
But good luck with this one. I do believe the new processes are much gentler and less traumatic. Prayers and blessings,

#160249 - 09/18/08 10:31 PM Re: Mammogram: Waiting for Results [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Chats,
Love your avatar!

#160258 - 09/19/08 12:09 AM Re: Mammogram: Waiting for Results [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am trying to build on like TVC and Crosstitch did that resembles me, but am so dumb technically, I have asked and I am waiting for HELP!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#160286 - 09/19/08 05:42 PM Re: Mammogram: Waiting for Results [Re: jabber]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Thanks so much for the kind thoughts. The digital mammography of today is much easier on the technician and certainly takes better pictures, but the pain of being squeezed for a half dozen "special views" was not so hot.

The stereotactic biopsy, especially with needles going directly into the nipple/areola area, is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. The one I had in the hospital in 2002 was also psychological nightmare, so I'm trying hard not to think about this one coming up.

Commercial thermography centers are springing up everywhere, and I saw a link for the few which are considered reputable. The Mayo Clinic thinks it is a useful adjunct to mammogram, but not something to be used in place of it.

After having a regular mammogram, a series of special mammograms, and a breast ultrasound, I am convinced by the reports that what is being shown by these tests, needs to be evaluated further. And as far as I know, the only way to do the ultimate evaluation is by stereotactic biopsy or surgical extraction. If anyone knows of anything else, I'd be very interested in knowing about it. I HATE invasive procedures!!!!

#160314 - 09/19/08 11:11 PM Re: Mammogram: Waiting for Results [Re: Josie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Every report out for the past seven+ years show Thermography to be far superior to mammography. The breast isn't squeezed into a pancake and it has been shown that on occasion mammography only serves to burst the tumor thus spreading the disease even further. Plus since even a pinpoint tumor shows heat it is picked up by thermograpy when unable to be seen yet by a mammogram...

This diagnostic equipment is quite delicate and super expensive plus takes trained tecnicians to operate it, and many clinics even hospitals have yet to get it. I doubt clinics are showing up everywhere offering this proceedure, they may be offering something similar, but not the actual proceedure...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#160324 - 09/20/08 03:34 AM Re: Mammogram: Waiting for Results [Re: chatty lady]
Mij Offline

From the American Cancer Society webpage:

"Newer and Experimental Breast Imaging Methods

Research in the field of breast imaging is continuing in order to:

* increase the number of cancers found before they can be felt by the patient or her doctor
* find cancers even smaller than those now detected by mammograms
* improve the ability to distinguish benign breast conditions from breast cancers

These tests all need further study before their usefulness can be determined.

. . .

Thermography (Thermal Imaging)

Thermography is a way of measuring and mapping the heat on the surface of the breast with the use of a special heat-sensing camera. It is based on the idea that the temperature rises in areas with increased blood flow and metabolism, which could signify a tumor.

Thermography has been around for several decades, and some scientists are still attempting to improve the technology for use in breast imaging. However, no study has ever shown that it is an effective screening tool for the early detection of breast cancer. It should not be used as a replacement for mammograms.

Newer versions of this test are better able to determine small temperature differences. They may prove to be more accurate than older versions, and are now under study to find out if they might be useful in finding cancer."

From www.breastcancer.org:

"Thermography, also called thermal imaging, uses a special camera to measure the temperature of the skin on the breast's surface. It is non-invasive and uses no radiation.

Thermography is based on two ideas:

* Because cancer cells are growing and multiplying very fast, blood flow and metabolism are higher in a cancer tumor.
* As blood flow and metabolism increase, skin temperature goes up.

Thermography has been available for several decades, but no study has shown that it's a good screening tool to detect breast cancer early, when the cancer is most treatable. The American Cancer Society does NOT recommend thermography as a replacement for mammograms.

Thermography may be used to supplement mammogram information and help identify cancers that are close to the skin. Still, thermography can't find cancers that are deeper in the breast and thermography can't detect small cancers.

Researchers are developing and testing new versions of thermography that some day may be more accurate."

#162611 - 10/14/08 06:00 PM Re: Mammogram: Waiting for Results [Re: Mij]
Josie Offline

Praise the Lord!!!! Everything turned out okay! Though it was horrendous waiting for the stereotactic biopsy results while having to deal with my broher's sudden & severe stroke, hosting a rehearsal dinner, and smiling through my son's wedding this Saturday, I did it .....and my luck has held yet another time.

Thanks to all who prayed and kept a good thought for me.

#162612 - 10/14/08 06:03 PM Re: Mammogram: Waiting for Results [Re: Josie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}} That's great news for you. Prayers to your brother.

#162625 - 10/14/08 07:16 PM Re: Mammogram: Waiting for Results [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Josie Offline

Thanks so much, DD! He is only 57 and I pray he can get past the depression & anger associated with his right-sided paralysis, in order to have the maximum recovery possible.

(For those who have hypertension AND smoke....PLEASE think about quitting)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved