The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#149607 - 05/29/08 08:03 PM WOW
gims Offline

Loc: USA

Spell check is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#149608 - 05/29/08 08:28 PM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
gims Offline

And pictures are easier to post..

Wait a minute... I just figured it out...brb...

#149609 - 05/29/08 08:30 PM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
Pat Jones Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Wow! You got me excited, too. Both your funnies made me laugh, gims.

Get In Touch With Your Inner Geezer!

#149610 - 05/29/08 08:38 PM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
gims Offline

LOL Pat....

OK, I'm back... I did figure it out...

I was testing a website for my brother, using Windows Vista. I tested it with both MSIE and Firefox, and happened to have a Firefox window open... jumped in to see what the BWS sisters were doing... it is through Firefox that spell check is available, as is an easier image insert...

Sorry for the "OOOOPSY".....

But, glad for myself... I'll be opening BWS with Firefox, because the spell check is just tooooo much needed on my part!

#149611 - 05/29/08 10:16 PM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
Pat Jones Offline

Everybody raves about Firefox, but I'm still scared to go to it instead of IE. I worry that it would mess up my computer to change it. Can you have both?

#149612 - 05/29/08 10:26 PM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I use Firefox -- I just started a few months ago on my iMAC and I was nervous about using it at first. But you can use either Firefox or InternetExplorer.

I like it a lot.

Blessings, Francine

#149613 - 05/29/08 10:38 PM Re: WOW [Re: writegirl1949]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I have both installed on my computer, and it's fine. Firefox is the preferred browser of most business/graphics/website folks, but about 80% of people still use Internet Explorer.

Kathy

#149614 - 05/29/08 10:49 PM Re: WOW [Re: writegirl1949]
gims Offline

My brother, who doesn't like the bells and whistles (I think he calls it the bubbly look) offered by Windows, prefers the basic style of Firefox. Plus, he claims it's more secure. He works extensively on and with computers (Linux is his platform) and swears by Firefox, as well as Pegasus for email.
I have both Microsoft IE and Mozilla Firefox on my computer, and only have to choose which web browser to open my sites with. The Firefox download is free, and it has yet to hurt any of the computers I've owned. There is something to say about the sleekness of it... AND now I'm sold even more, because of the spell check feature. It underlines misspelled words as you type them just like MS Word does when you're composing a Word document.
I tried Mozilla Thunderbird, but didn't really care for that... I'm still an MS Outlook fan... guess because I teethed on it.

#149615 - 05/29/08 10:54 PM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
GIMS...do you have a MAC or a PC?

#149616 - 05/29/08 10:57 PM Re: WOW [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

I have a Compaq Presario (PC).

#149617 - 05/29/08 11:44 PM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
Pat Jones Offline

Wow is right. I never expected to get an education today about Firefox, but I'm sure glad I did. It would never have dawned on me that it could be possible to have both browsers installed at once. Maybe some time we can talk about which anti virus and spyware programs the rest of you like best. I read about them at sites like majorgeeks.com and tucows.com, but I just realized that I trust other women's opinions a lot more. If other women tell me something's easy or good, I know they mean what they say.

#149618 - 05/30/08 01:05 AM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I use Internet Explorer, but my Web designer introduced me to Firefox so I also have that installed. She's a Mac gal and prefers Firefox.

#149619 - 05/30/08 06:42 AM Re: WOW
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Hello...what on earth are you gals talking about? Spell check? Post pictures easier? Nothing has changed on my screen. I also tried going in over the BWS, but that didn't make any difference. I wanna see!

#149620 - 05/30/08 04:45 PM Re: WOW [Re: Edelweiss]
Pat Jones Offline

Thanks, Dotsie!

Edelweiss, I think that gims confused her browser with the forum, but I could be wrong about that. Yeah, I wanna see it, too= ha!

#149621 - 05/30/08 06:14 PM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
gims Offline

No, no confusion about browser versus forum.

EW, what browser do you use: MS Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Opera, Flock, AOL Explorer, other?

I have three installed on my PC: MSIE, Mozilla FF and Flock.

When I use FF to open the forums and post, a built-in spell checker assists me while I type. Why the difference? I can't tell you, but to say it just does. Could it be a plug-in that comes with Mozilla software? Can someone else, who has FF on their PC/MAC, give it a test?

Heck, I don't know.... I don't know 'NOTHING!' Ask my parents... they'll tell you that very thing!

#149622 - 05/30/08 06:26 PM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Jusat take all the help you can get Gims, I sure do! I am replacing my laptop soon and am looking at MACS. Don't understand the difference between MAC and a PC??? People keep telling me how much better MAC is...

Edited by chatty lady (05/30/08 06:27 PM)

#149623 - 05/30/08 06:56 PM Re: WOW [Re: chatty lady]
Pat Jones Offline

gims, you're so advanced in tech knowledge that every post you make teaches me new things. Looks like I need to read up on browsers. I might be missing something good!

#149624 - 05/30/08 06:58 PM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I have a Mac.. so I use Firefox mostly.. but sometimes I have to use Safari. When I had a PC, I always used Firefox.. I stayed away from IE like the plague.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#149625 - 05/30/08 07:13 PM Re: WOW [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Okay I admit it...I am a computer nerd so can someone tell me please what is Firefox and what does it do?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#149626 - 05/30/08 08:11 PM Re: WOW [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

check it out here:
http://www.mozilla.org/

#149627 - 05/30/08 09:21 PM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I just think of it as a search engine.

#149628 - 05/31/08 12:00 AM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I have a PC and have used Firefox browser for years. maybe 3 years? IE can be too slow to fix bugs while Firefox is very responsive to user input. I only use IE if absolutely necessary, like going into my paypal account which won't recognize Firefox.

All of my computer tech-employed friends prefer Firefox. And they all hate Outlook. I use webmail, ever since Outlook crashed maybe 3 years ago and I couldn't get my email for over a month..

Poet and essayist

#149629 - 05/31/08 12:06 AM Re: WOW [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

an interesting note on the spell-check -- Paypal (which doesn't let you access via Firefox) is shown as a misspelling, while Firefox is not. HA! Take that IE!

Poet and essayist

#149630 - 05/31/08 01:59 AM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Firefox is a web browser like IE but works better because it can't pick up viruses
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#149631 - 05/31/08 02:13 AM Re: WOW [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
gims Offline

Dotsie, I don't think (and I may be wrong) that search engines and web browsers are the same thing. You need a web browser to use a search engine, the likes of: Google, Yahoo, Windows Live Search, MSN, Ask, AOL, dogpile (a pile of all the best in one place), etc.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#149632 - 05/31/08 05:50 PM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
Pat Jones Offline

Could one of you explain to me how you can have more than one browser at the same time? Do they both show up at the top of every web page?

Ok, let's say that you have both IE and Firefox. You start up your computer and then go to your home page, right? At what point (and how) do you choose which browser to use? I'm sure I'd like to get Firefox, but if I know how to use it before I get it, I won't be so stressed about doing it.

Also, if you have Firefox, does that make it unnecessary to have other anti virus programs? Or, is it safer to keep one, so all your bases are covered?

Thank you all for sharing what you know. It's wonderful!

#149633 - 05/31/08 06:27 PM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I'm so impressed with what you know gims. And you tell your Mama and Papa you know `somtin` ...and a heck of a lot!
It's crazy. I know a lot of things about programming and web pages, but I got real big black holes for the rest of the stuff. If I ever should have time again, I would love to take a computer course from scratch, and work my way up. I can understand Chatty...I never heard about Firefox. Sounds like a mean cocktail to me.

How did you gals learn all these things? Have you taken courses? Do you read up on it yourself? Or has big brother been teaching you? I have never taken a course, and have been learning through trial and error. My computer guru has taught me some things about making a web page, but I have a sneaky suspicion that he doesn't tell me everything; because he wants me to keep paying for his services.

#149634 - 05/31/08 06:36 PM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
gims Offline

Pat, do you open your browser using a quick launch icon on the task bar or from your desktop? Or, does it open automatically with startup?

#149635 - 05/31/08 06:38 PM Re: WOW [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Pat, you can install a number of browsers on your computer and use them as needed, (as Meredith does)for different things.
Edelweiss, I wonder if a lot of folks, like myself, are generally self taught. I read and experimented and that's how I got fairly good at the computer. My daughter brags that I can hack my way into anything on the net.....until I told her that it may not be wise to use that word to just anyone to brag about Mom!!!!

#149636 - 05/31/08 07:16 PM Re: WOW [Re: ladyjane]
Pat Jones Offline

Hi, gims!

The way I do it is probably unconventional. I always open Outlook Express first, then click on an e-mail link that I keep in the Inbox there to go to my own website. At that point, the IE toolbar is right above my website, and I do everything from there. Does that help?

#149637 - 05/31/08 07:19 PM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
Pat Jones Offline

And Edelweiss, I sure agree with what you said. When I ask a true tech person a question, I always get, "Well...." but not a whole answer. I have asked several to let me pay them to give me lessons, but no takers. The most I get is one piece of an answer, which doesn't always help.

#149638 - 05/31/08 07:39 PM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I'm lucky in that two of my best friends are serious tech nerds, on computers for over 20 years. One of them is an elite level programmer who knows pretty much everything. If I have questions I go to one of them, although I try not to abuse the privilege and have them do it for me. Rather I ask them to steer me in the right direction, and I'll ask more if necessary. I've also spent a lot of computer time self-educating.

I have 3 browsers on my computer. (yahoo came with DSL but I only use it to play games *ahem.*) When I boot up, all browsers are on my desktop but none is active.

I click and open whichever browser I want. Yes, it's possible to have all 3 running at once. Each browser operates in its own window(s) and does not interact with the others.

Pat, Outlook is a proprietary program of Microsoft which also owns IE. So if you click on a link in an email in Outlook, it immediately goes to IE because that's how it's programmed.

Oh, and whoever asked (I'm in editing box so can't see prior posts) -- you need a good anti-virus program, because your BROWSER isn't the only part of your computer. Firefox may not have the bugs of IE but it can't protect your hard drive.

Poet and essayist

#149639 - 05/31/08 08:33 PM Re: WOW [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Pat, minimize the applications you have open
and get to your desktop.
Below is an image of my desktop where you can see the icons for IE and Firefox.
You can also see (barely) the two icons on the task bar.

What icons do you have on your desktop and in your task bar?

#149640 - 05/31/08 08:52 PM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
Pat Jones Offline

Lest I sound ungrateful, and I probably did, tech people have been more than generous to me, and it's certainly not their fault that I lack the background necessary to put their wise words to best use.

Meredithbead (love that name) I get what you're saying! Thank you.

And gims, I see what you mean! The only browser icon I have right now is IE, but when I download Firefox, it will make a desktop icon to use. Thank you.

You know, I feel like Helen Keller, when Annie Sullivan kept running the water over her hands. "Browser, browser!" If I ever get another dog, I think I'll name him/her Browser.

Just as soon as I work up the nerve to do it, I'll download Firefox.

#149641 - 05/31/08 09:00 PM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Pat, I have used Firefox since it first came out, and I use it all the time. There are lots of neat things on the Mozilla page you can use to dress it up (or down) such as themes and other wondrous items. Their help section is also great - I used it a lot at first and still do sometimes.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#149642 - 05/31/08 09:01 PM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
gims Offline

Yes, you can have it create an icon for your desktop and you can drag a copy of the icon to your task bar... then you can open IE and/or Firefox from either icon.

Downloading Firefox is up to you. I will not encourage or discourage it. But, it is more secure than IE, in many ways, even though IE is catching up. When you have an IE window open, click on HELP, then "About Internet Explorer," last item on the drop down menu. A small window should pop open, giving you the version of IE on you computer. You want to have version 7, at least.

#149643 - 05/31/08 09:29 PM Re: WOW [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Quote:

I have 3 browsers on my computer. (yahoo came with DSL but I only use it to play games *ahem.*) When I boot up, all browsers are on my desktop but none is active. by meredith

Microsoft was trying to buy Yahoo, not too long ago, to be THE MS search engine, hoping to beat out Google's popularity. The deal fell through, I think.

Yahoo is a search engine, I think????? ... and may I please add a BIG caution on playing Yahoo games?... even tho security is being beefed up, I've heard playing games live opens up doors to your computer, (note the word "live"). It might be when you download Yahoo games, you can expose your computer to bad guys, too. I use to play Literati all the time... I have to do so through IE, because Mozilla Firefox wants me to download more plug-ins (which I've yet to do)... when I was active on Yahoo game boards, I got all kinds of Yahoo junk mail in my game playing sign-on account. I don't frequent the game boards much any more, since my hub got me this computer. It might be safe now... I don't want to take chances.

One recently added feature by Yahoo, that I like, is their sign-in seal.

#149644 - 06/01/08 10:59 PM Re: WOW [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Meredith, I also have three browsers. I have AOL, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. I almost always use IE. I only use AOL when I check an occasional email on that. And I use Firefox when I'm working iwth my Web master because she's an Apple gal and encourages me to look at her changes to my site on the browser she's using at the time.

I have heard that playing online games and browsing music download sites is horrible for your computer. At one time, before the kids all went to college and had their own lap tops, we had a family pc. We were forever having issues. Our computer geek told us we needed to keep the kids off the music and games sites. I don't do any music or game sites and I never have a problem. I run my virus scan nightly so that helps.

#149645 - 06/01/08 11:00 PM Re: WOW
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Hey gims,
I have a lot of those slipper-dropping days!

#149646 - 06/02/08 12:21 AM Re: WOW [Re: jabber]
Pat Jones Offline

You guys were right - my Internet Explorer was a few versions behind! Got it updated, and it does seem to work a lot better (imagine that). xoxo

#149647 - 06/02/08 10:20 AM Re: WOW [Re: Pat Jones]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Glad we could help. Ah, the power of womens' minds.

#149648 - 06/09/08 02:53 AM Re: WOW
gims Offline

Well, I've tried out yet another web browser, and by george, it's faster and handier (in all but a few ways). I have updates turned on for most of my applications, and Apple (for my ipod Shuffle) had Safari listed as an option to check in the update, so I did. Still trying it out.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved