The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148934 - 05/19/08 11:17 AM Support for the Organizationally-Challenged
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
This is THE year. One of our New Year's goals is to get organized at home and do some very serious de-cluttering. For an organized person as I tend to be, combining two lives at mid-life in a less than large place, has been a huge challenge. I've never lived this way...and neither has he. It took a huge truck to move me here. We had a vinyl shed out back that a storm took down and there's still left overs out there. Inside, we're living in half the space that we could be due to plastic bins, etc. To look at it you'd think I just moved in. I'm so ashamed....and disgusted. We both know there's a psychological effect in coming home to this. We put in a new pellet stove in the living room right after Thanksgiving last year. So everything that could....came out....into the dining room!!! This year we hope to add on a room through the living room. We know this will help somewhat. Anyway, all that just to say....I'm overwhelmed. Part of it is simply having time to do anything at all these days. I'd love to have us share some tips on Spring cleaning, decluttering and the like. HELP!!!!!

#148935 - 05/19/08 04:29 PM Re: Support for the Organizationally-Challenged [Re: ladyjane]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
If you can´t use it..loose it. A friend told me this once and I use the thought when I can get down to cleaning out clutter..it´s toughest with my beloved books..but I do try.

Someone else once told me..if you haven´t used it within the year..then you don´t need it..or was it within it 5yrs..I don´t remember. Perhaps you can set your own limit. It really does help!

GOOOOOD Luck!!!!

#148936 - 05/19/08 05:10 PM Re: Support for the Organizationally-Challenged [Re: humlan]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
This is one of my favorite subjects, next to finance, so I'll try and find some good resources for you, or just give my two cents worth.

In the meantime, if you have a lot of books and you don't want to go to the trouble of selling them on "half-off.com" (is that right Princess?) or Ebay, or anywhere else (I sold a lot of books on Amazon)...then you could try this site:

http://www.paperbackswap.com/

It's free to join (for now) and all you do is assume the cost of shipping the books someone might want (usually around 2.16). It's a great way to get rid of books and GET books if you want them.

I'll see what else I can find. I applaud you for taking action!

#148938 - 05/19/08 05:39 PM Re: Support for the Organizationally-Challenged [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
…and make a point to not put anything in your hands twice. Decide then and there what to do with it.

I once had a house to sell with hundreds of knick-knacks, which the couple collected during their worldly travels. Finally we got a buyer, but the sellers withdrew their house from the market because they couldn't downsize and get rid of their stuff. They were miserable with their decision, but they couldn’t let go.

The moral of the story? Control your clutter, before it controls you.
(Believe me… I can identify more with the couple then I would like to.)

#148939 - 05/19/08 05:52 PM Re: Support for the Organizationally-Challenged [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

http://www.paperbackswap.com/

This is a swapping site, so you would accumulate credits if you didn't request books. Send the books to me, instead - (gims says with twinkles in her eyes while she rubs her hands in anticipation).

You can donate books to your local library, then they can sell them to raise money for their system.

You can take them to a charity thrift store, but don't look at their things (which are at mere pennies on the dollar), or you might be taking more stuff home with you.

You can give them to a children's group (i.e. girlscouts) or a church for a fund raiser (i.e. yard sale) they might be having.

You can www.freecycle.com them, or www.craigslist.com them.

But, never throw them away.

As for the tubs... unload one a day, after creating boxes for:
'keep and store'
'give away'
'throw away'
'do not know what to do with just yet'
and of course, 'to be put up'...

#148940 - 05/19/08 06:02 PM Re: Support for the Organizationally-Challenged [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

Jane
could you have a yard sale...we call them garage sales here.
think how grand it is to have your stuff together call it LOVING CLUTTER .better than being lonely..
On a serious note .."a place for everything and everything in its place." I was reared like this..lived like this and hit a clutter phase a while back.Craft projects teaching materials home..I used my sons room whilst he travelled..then it like Topsy grew..into too much.So day by day I spent the odd half hour...took stuff to the charity shops..gave teaching stuff to a newbie..and like Edelweiss says have some thing in your hand only once.
Good luck.
Mountain ash

#148941 - 05/19/08 06:16 PM Re: Support for the Organizationally-Challenged [Re: Mountain Ash]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I don´t get it..have something in your hand only once...??? . I am serious here..what do you gals mean??? MountainAsh and EW.. I am probably exposing myself here..so if you are imagining stacks of books in the bedroom..and bookshelves in the livingroom..you are looking at the reality. So that´s why I probably don´t understand this..only in the hand once thing..but please explain!!!!

#148942 - 05/19/08 06:31 PM Re: Support for the Organizationally-Challenged [Re: humlan]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
In your hand only once means;...decide whether you keep it or throw it away. Too often you may pick up a book, or something, and you can't decide what to do with it. Then THAT pile of "can't decides"...turns slowly and surly into the pile that you originally had. Yikes...like a wandering sanddune.

#148943 - 05/20/08 12:06 AM Re: Support for the Organizationally-Challenged [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Here is a woman that sends out a newsletter I enjoy. http://zines.webvalence.com/sites/Clutter_Challenge/current.html

I think you might glean some things from her newsletter and don't forget to read the archived ones.

Here's the thing. Can you let go? If so, then do what someone else suggest. Put three baskets down (use clothes baskets or any kind of box) and label them STORE, DONATE, TOSS.

As Di says he hubby tells her, use it up, wear it out, throw it out. HAHAHAHAH....

I used this same method on my work desk. EVERYTHING has somewhere to go...a distribution, of sorts. Where does item X go? What good is it? Is it serving a worthwhile (to you) purpose? If not, do you know of someone who could benefit from it? And if the answer is no, toss it.

Don't forget to be eco-friendly if you toss! Go to http://earth911.org/ and put in your zip code. Then you can find a Recycling or Re-Use Location.

#148944 - 05/20/08 08:10 AM Re: Support for the Organizationally-Challenged [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

"In your hand once"...the dry stone wall (dykes in Scotland) builders have a saying..."Never pick up a stone twice" meaning plan and plan again. Suppose they lay the stones out and know from experience what goes where.
After I read this for the first time I though how it applied to mistakes,,that we should learn and not pick up the same mistake.
I like old sayings and disect them in my mind until they explain themselves.
Mountain ash

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved