The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#147969 - 05/07/08 02:13 PM Crafts and other things
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I so curious nowadays. I have this great need to create something. This is usually when I pick up my knitting needles or a crochet hook, although I don't measure up to someone like Chatty...mine is more relaxing than creating.

But there are so many things to learn out there in this great world of ours. So many things to enable us to CREATE.

If you could learn something new, what would it be?

I think I would LOVE to learn how to do stained glass.
I think I would LOVE to learn how to arrange flowers.
I think I would LOVE to learn how to draw or paint.

Those are just a few of my yearnings. These are things I have NEVER attempted (well, sort of...I tried the flower arrangements and I THINK I have a knack for it)...

What is your "I think's?"

#147970 - 05/07/08 09:09 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I did do some stained glass with my DIL about five years ago and have a clock in my dining room we made together...

I love flower arranging but hate plastic flowers and hate it when the real ones die...

I use to do some painting and charcoal drawings when I was married to number two, and put some four4 foot tall irridescent, joke paintings on the black cocktail lounge walls that glowed brightly under black lights...

JJ, I taught myself the crocheting through hours and hours of trial and error. You see where its gotten me to. But to save my soul I am having a devil of a time making a winter scarf for someone. Go figure!! I have started a Poncho however as Dotsies daughter suggested and I am amazed how easy it is and how great it is coming along. When its done I will need a willing model who will wear it and take a picture for this site, any takers out there?? You get to keep the Poncho.

Edited by chatty lady (05/07/08 09:11 PM)

#147971 - 05/07/08 11:18 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

If it would cover my bode, count me in...but really, don't you think Jessie would make a great model? If she was willing, that is?

I wish you were here to teach me Chatty.

#147972 - 05/08/08 01:09 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Another thing I've always wanted to learn is graphics. I would love to take a course in graphics art. So many things, so little time.

I can't believe you women haven't jumped all over this. I figured we would have people saying they wanted to learn to repel, ride a motorcycle, trained showdogs, belly dance, sing, paint, and on and on and on. Hellooooo?

#147973 - 05/08/08 08:03 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
"...ride a motorcycle done that , trained showdogs done that…oops…show dogs, not hubbys? No haven’t done that, belly dance hahahoho Mrs. Santa Claus laughing over here, sing, done that..now I can only sing baritone, paint yes, yes , and on and on and on. …..”

JJ, I love doing graphic work on my computer. The Microsoft enables me to create really nice expose´s.

If I had the time…which is what most of us lack, I would love to learn all the ins and outs of website making and market my skills. Although, this branch, like so many others is taken over by finished websites to download for minimum fees. But they just can’t be as individual as a customer may like…so maybe there is a chance.

When you say graphic art, do you mean on the web or on canvas?

I would like to take a sailing course for oceon sailing, which involves navigation skills, and screaming for help as loud as you can.

Edited by Edelweiss (05/08/08 08:14 AM)

#147974 - 05/08/08 11:44 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I meant on the web/computer. And the examples I gave were just to hopefully spur everyone on to think about what desires for creativity they may have.

I think desiging CUSTOM Web pages would be awesome. I don't have the patience to do that full time, like as in a job, but I just bet you would be sooooo good at it.

I don't want anything to do with the water. I love watching the ocean, and I know that people who sail swear by it, but I have a great fear of sharks and other things that go bump into the water...no thanks. But to each her own. I have friends who sail and they come back happy and satisfied.

Anyone else want to admit...ah...I mean share what they would LOVE to do? Let's leave time out of it. Let's say you have all of the time in the world...and so, what you would love to do issssss?

#147975 - 05/08/08 01:06 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I would probably really enjoy working with stained glass. My brother-in-law used to make lamps...I'd love to make a stained-glass torchiere lamp for our living room. One of my best friends is a full-time teacher, but his passion is working with stained glass...his work is phenomenal ( http://www2.cyg.net/~parart/pages/artwork.htm ). I had the chance to work with him one afternoon and enjoyed it immensely.

My problem isn't time, it's space. Our house is tiny, no room for a studio or workshop of any kind right now...I've mentioned to hubby my idea of turning the small spare room into some kind of studio and prayer room. But he wants to keep it as a spare bedroom...it's been two years since anyone used that room as a bedroom. We use it to store all of the stuff we buy throughout the year to take to our friends in Cuba (the room is jam-packed full already, and we won't be going until next January! So far we have eveything from Hot Wheels and Spiderman underwear to kitchen knives and about 20 bottles of sparkly nail polish.) So if we did renovate that room, we wouldn't have any place for the Cuba stuff, and that is our number one passion and commitment.

Anyway, we're still working on some innovative ideas as to how to create a creative space.

(Maya Angelou)

#147976 - 05/08/08 01:19 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh I can see why. His work would inspire me, for sure. Did you see The Genesis Ring? Isn't that beautiful? Wouldn't it make a glorious lamp?

About your spare room. Would shelving help? Just a thought.

#147977 - 05/08/08 01:42 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

...or Autumn Blaze...our carpet is paprika, the sofa brown with hunger green as the complementary colour (I love earth colours). So it would match the decor. I've seen the Genesis Ring - it's gorgeous...especially when it catches the light.

If I was going to renovate the room, I'd get rid of the bed, and line two of the walls with cubby shelves, enough to hold all of the Cuba stuff and any art supplies. I'd have a comfy chair and small table for my prayer books, candle and music. Then I'd need a table to work on...and that's about all the room would hold. Right now there's a twin bed, sewing table and old oak bureau from my childhood that hubby rescued and restored after Gary died. With all the Cuba stuff covering the bed and sewing table, there's barely room to walk in there.

The only way to go is up...lots and lots of shelves, cubby shelves would work best, given the wide diversity of stuff they would store. It looks great in my mind, but can't get hubby to share the vision - yet. Every so often I mention it to him, but he's just not open to it right now.

But the Cuba thing keeps me/us busy...it's fun, and creative, trying to find the most best stuff for the least amount of money - and then trying to fit it all into the suitcases in such a way that they don't draw too much attention when we go through Cuban customs!

BTW, we did get an estimate for installing one of those wall beds, you know, the kind that hides in the wall until you need it? Way out of our budget for now, but that would be a great way to go too...we would both get what we want.

(Maya Angelou)

#147978 - 05/08/08 02:43 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Eagle Heart]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Oh Eagle the stained glass site is beautiful. If I'd clear out my garage I'd have some room to do more crafts than I do now. Years ago when my father was getting into stained glass I went around to all the places that sold the stuff he'd need and found it really interesting. As a matter of fact, I have his stained glass tools with me but have done nothing with them yet and he's been gone for 10 years. It takes time but produces the most beautiful pieces.

I think I'd like to do painting on canvas. I've never done it but think I might like it.
I think I'd like to learn how to do some of the woodworking projects my dad also did. He made the most beautiful shelves. But I'm not sure I could stand all the dust involved with it.

I like doing photography work and would love to have the time to concentrate on that.
www.tidedancer.com

#147979 - 05/08/08 06:59 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Sandpiper]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Ahhh photography. I would love to do ANIMAL photography. Yep...sure would!

Eagle, that's a Murphy Bed...right?

#147980 - 05/08/08 09:05 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

JJ, who is JESSE????? You would make a perfect Poncho model as the color of this one is a dark rust color with white edging. Its a challenge, so keep your fingers crossed I end up with something nice and worth sharing when it done.

I love photography too, flowers and still life but yee-gads that gets to expensive for my single lady pocketbook these days.

Like Eagle, the room situation here is less than sufficient for any added hobby stuff.

My ex BIL use to walk up and down the miles and miles of Indiana Dunes with a cart and collect old pieces of useless drift wood, then he'd bring it home to his workshop in his garage and make the most beautiful lamps from it and he'd give them as gifts or sell them at the Swap Meets.

So many people here at the resort make crafts and we have a huge sale once a year that lots of people look forward to.

JJ, I wish I were closer to you too for many, many reasons...

Edited by chatty lady (05/08/08 09:09 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#147981 - 05/08/08 09:59 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
There's a very very long list of artsy/crafty activities in my past. As far as what I haven't done, that I'd love to learn well if I ever had a spare million hours -- computer graphics, like the ones in sci-fi movies. I always felt that if I went to art school 20 years later, this would've been my major.

I also love blown glass but am too afraid of fire. And it would be neat to build a house from the ground up, but that's not happening in this lifetime.

Poet and essayist

#147982 - 05/08/08 10:09 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Jess is Dotsie's daughter.

Meredith, I've watched a documentary one night on blown glass. Boy was it ever interesting. And to build a house from the ground up. That would be so cool. I have always wanted to learn how to pour concrete. I suppose I could start with something small.

I have a girlfriend who built a treehouse for her grandson. It was amazing.

#147983 - 05/08/08 11:50 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Quote:

Eagle, that's a Murphy Bed...right?

Yes, that's the name. We had a guy in to measure and give us an estimate. It's a tiny room, but the combination of an air duct "bulkhead" at one end of the ceiling, a closet at the other end, a window and an air vent to work around, everything would have to be custom made, rather than putting pre-existing units together (which is how they usually do those things). So the cost was just too high. Hubby considered trying to put one together himself, but at the time, we had houseguests arriving soon and needed a bed sooner than later, so we just bought a twin bed and stuck it in there.

I have to go...we've been with our 18-month-old grandson most of the day - he had a very high fever (103.8) and we were helping out. I think they finally decided to take him to the hospital this evening, so we're just waiting to hear back. And we're leaving for Montreal for a couple of days tomorrow and I haven't even packed a toothbrush yet! But I'll have computer access at my step-daughter's house, so will come back online from there.

(Maya Angelou)

#147984 - 05/09/08 06:29 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Very interesting stuff that your friend does in his stained glass works, Eagle.

I took a stained glassmaking course years ago and did create a large 24x36 inch piece with real,thick heavy lead channels and plaster grout. We were required to as part of our class project. Class was 14 wks. long. My piece was a water lily blooming in ice blue cave of water under a wave-like ceiling. I had even christened it "Spring Thaw".

I threw the whole piece away in garbage when I had to pack and move my home to a different provine. It was so heavy and dangerous to deal with. Heavy stained glass requires serious safe hangers from ceiling and anyway my lead channels were warped from my amateur hands.

I just have photos of that piece.

I know what you mean jaw-jaw. That's why I've taken evening art courses in a scattered way over last 20 years. No real path right now that I'm on and I'm wondering if I should put myself on a path to discpline myself to become better.

Right now, it's lack of large chunks of Muse time after work.

Yes, if I had all the time world to do creative stuff, it would be more of what I did try in past:

*painting and mixed media
*Western calligraphy... I'm losing my precision touch. this is calligraphy where you do NOT dip steel nip in inkpot. You paint the nib for even ink coating and then execute the letters with flourish..
*marbling/papermaking
*all of the above media/techniques into central works

No, computer graphics actually doesn't turn me on. I see it as more linear in process and technical. Yes, I know you can do calligraphic fonts with computer software, but honest, the tactile pressure of pen and ink flow to get nuanced shaded lines, thick and thin is more spontaneous and freeing than computer tools.

I guess I see it way too tied to my jobs where I've forced my arts,y English literature major mind to think more technically to create research databases, to troubleshoot technica problesm for user and with computer IT department folks. I love this aspect of my job but have learned that the computer and software restructures my brain to be less spontaneous ..otherwise I spend minutes/hrs. resolving a technical tiny problem to make something work or "look" good to me.

#147985 - 05/09/08 08:05 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

Locally at a craft centre a man does blown glass items.They are "witches balls" where a teardrop shape ball has an inner little compartment.Then you put perfumed oil to warm in the sun.Its hang above a door.Witches dont have reflections..so when opening the door you must look and check if there is a likeness..
so the story goes.
I have one..above my bed..!!!
a good friend had a stained glass workshop.she does commisions for churches and homes.Her smaller works are beautiful too She does angels as brooches.She is willing to let me work there as a learning process.I aim that this happens.
I make earrings..just constructing pretty beads.Some antique with additions.Also in colours to suit outfits.I did safety pin brooches a time ago..adding all sorts of things.Lovely to accessorise big cardigans..I obtained pins with loops to attatch the notions..these were fun..all my friends enjoyed them.My daughter had to say she had enough..she passed the surplus on to colleages.
I am for more creativity.
Mountain ash

Edited by Mountain Ash (05/09/08 08:07 AM)

#147986 - 05/11/08 01:10 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Mountain Ash]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I would also like to learn how to make beautiful bows for packaging. Sounds a little silly, I guess, but don't you love to get packages that have interesting and pretty bows on them?

#147987 - 05/11/08 01:51 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

This is really interesting...everytime someone mentions something they'd like to learn how to do, I think, yeah, I'd enjoy learning that too. After a couple of years of inability to be interested in anything, I'm enjoying this new burst of curiosity in all things possible!

JJ, I used to enjoy putting a lot of creative energy into wrapping gifts. But I never learned how to make bows and had to resort to using store-bought. Nowadays, I'd like to get creative about figuring out reusable options for wrapping and topping gifts...I've used tea-towels in the past, but I'm sure there must be other stuff out there that would make innovative and useful gift wrappers/toppers.

Last Christmas, I topped my granddaughter's gifts with an assortment of ornaments, but the one topper she enjoyed the most was a pair of fuzzy purple gloves.

(Maya Angelou)

#147988 - 05/11/08 03:04 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

One of the prettiest trees I saw one year was a woman who went the local grocery store and talked the butcher out of a long roll of white butcher paper, the kind they wrap the meat in. She had three trees. In one room, the tree was small but the gifts under it were all wrapped in the white paper but colored on the outside by her grandchildren. The woman made the bows out of different things and they were darling.

The second tree was a bit larger and had things decoupaged (is that how you spell it?) on the paper and a coat of some sort of spray sealant over it. Again...so cute...and she made bows appropriat to the theme of the tree.

The third room looked like an entire village. She had a train going around the tree, all the gifts were in white with decorative GOLD bows, with a variety of different objects on the packages (glued to them) like tiny baby pine cones, berries...remember ALL is spray painted GOLD. It was beautiful! The tree was gold and white with decorations the same colors. BEAUTIFUL!

#147989 - 05/11/08 04:31 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
chickadee Offline

JJ and all, Don't forget Youtube teaches how to make bows in video. I learn sculpting skills from there time and time again. It's free and ready when you are.
Here's a sample and there's lots of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqlIizOi64s

#147990 - 05/11/08 05:48 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: chickadee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Wow! I didn't know that, Chick. Thank you gal!

#147991 - 05/12/08 03:16 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I've always wanted to learn how to play a musical instrument. ANY kind. Wonder what the easiest to learn would be? Simply because of time and expense...anybody have any ideas there?

#147992 - 05/12/08 11:57 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Has anyone ever done, or seen, one of those wreaths made out of dryer sheets?

#147993 - 05/13/08 12:03 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

By the way, today I got the nicest surprise in the mail. Sweet Di sent me one of her homemade cards and it was precious! I love the colors, Di. Not only that, she sent me enough samples from her wallpaper books to make my own.

THIS kind of thing is what you boomer babes are all about. One kind act after another.

Di, thank you for being so generous with your time and your materials. I hope to show off my "masterpiece" soon!

What a treat! I almost fell over when I saw the envelope! ha! Thank you again, JJ

#147994 - 05/13/08 12:10 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Wonderful, JJ! I know I sent some "interesting" patterns, but that is the fun of doing homemade!

I wish I had a camera to take pics. My husband is the photographer and I will not touch his complicated camera!

#147995 - 05/13/08 12:15 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Quote:

I've always wanted to learn how to play a musical instrument. ANY kind. Wonder what the easiest to learn would be? Simply because of time and expense...anybody have any ideas there?

Interesting. Back in the 4th and 5th grades, we learned to play the flute and the autoharp, respectively.

I LOVED them both! Someday....I'd love to play the flute again. The autoharp also, but I do not think they are around anymore. Anyone hear of them??

#147996 - 05/13/08 12:24 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Di]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I don't know anything about them, but I did a google and found this page http://www.autoharp.org/ that seems to have a ton of info. Maybe that would help?

What an interesting instrument. It looks difficult...no?
yes?

#147997 - 05/13/08 12:52 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Yes, very different. You press the buttons, which hold down the strings to get the sounds...sorta like a guitar. The clincher is that you cross your hand OVER to strum!

I loved it!!

#147998 - 05/13/08 05:13 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Di]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
This is an amazing subject and timely. I have always from time to time loved to knit and crochet. But I was always limited to what I can make and didn't really know how to read the patterns.

Up until a year ago Michael's offered classes and when I found out I took a couple of them. It really helped because there were things I had done wrong. Anyway, since our family crisis, I have been drawn to get back into knitting and crocheting. I have already made numerous things for my granddaughter and I didn't realized how much fun it is to make baby items. I just finished making her two dresses for spring, an afghan and a pillow for decoration. There are so many pretty colors out there other than the typical baby pink, white, etc...

It has been therapeutic for me as well!

I should check out the autoharp, very interesting. I always wanted to learn how to play the guitar. Yes, I must confess, growing up in the 70's, I get this urge to play air guitar, LOL. Not only that, I just love the sound of the Spanish Guitar too!

I have wanted to learn how to make jewelry, cards and soap. I have made soap and I should do so again, considering I have the supplies.

What I really am interested in besides the crochet (Chatty, don't be surprised if I ever call you for any help, LOL) is turning trash into treasure. Recycling items to make something else. What a way to help the environment and save money as well. I think it is amazing what you find and put together with what you already have.

What a great thread!!!

Cheers,
Cathi

#147999 - 05/17/08 01:26 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Renee

Edited by Sadie (10/29/08 12:01 AM)
Edit Reason: Left Forum

#148000 - 05/17/08 04:24 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Sadie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I love this pattern I got from a friend. She made this critter for my oldest son when he was two and he's 34 now. (I had him when I was 10).

Anyway, if anyone wants the pattern directions, just let me know. It is a knitting pattern, but I don't see why it couldn't be adopted for a crochet one. I'm going to give it a whirl.

Edited by jawjaw (05/17/08 04:44 PM)

#148001 - 05/17/08 04:32 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

here are the other two animals that come with the pattern. It is an old McCalls pattern from 1970.

#148002 - 05/17/08 09:23 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I have found that crocheting is a bit harder than knitting when making a project from a pattern, or maybe its just me?
Good luck JJ, the stuff is adorable.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved