The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 99 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#147969 - 05/07/08 02:13 PM Crafts and other things
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I so curious nowadays. I have this great need to create something. This is usually when I pick up my knitting needles or a crochet hook, although I don't measure up to someone like Chatty...mine is more relaxing than creating.

But there are so many things to learn out there in this great world of ours. So many things to enable us to CREATE.

If you could learn something new, what would it be?

I think I would LOVE to learn how to do stained glass.
I think I would LOVE to learn how to arrange flowers.
I think I would LOVE to learn how to draw or paint.

Those are just a few of my yearnings. These are things I have NEVER attempted (well, sort of...I tried the flower arrangements and I THINK I have a knack for it)...

What is your "I think's?"

#147970 - 05/07/08 09:09 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I did do some stained glass with my DIL about five years ago and have a clock in my dining room we made together...

I love flower arranging but hate plastic flowers and hate it when the real ones die...

I use to do some painting and charcoal drawings when I was married to number two, and put some four4 foot tall irridescent, joke paintings on the black cocktail lounge walls that glowed brightly under black lights...

JJ, I taught myself the crocheting through hours and hours of trial and error. You see where its gotten me to. But to save my soul I am having a devil of a time making a winter scarf for someone. Go figure!! I have started a Poncho however as Dotsies daughter suggested and I am amazed how easy it is and how great it is coming along. When its done I will need a willing model who will wear it and take a picture for this site, any takers out there?? You get to keep the Poncho.

Edited by chatty lady (05/07/08 09:11 PM)

#147971 - 05/07/08 11:18 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

If it would cover my bode, count me in...but really, don't you think Jessie would make a great model? If she was willing, that is?

I wish you were here to teach me Chatty.

#147972 - 05/08/08 01:09 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Another thing I've always wanted to learn is graphics. I would love to take a course in graphics art. So many things, so little time.

I can't believe you women haven't jumped all over this. I figured we would have people saying they wanted to learn to repel, ride a motorcycle, trained showdogs, belly dance, sing, paint, and on and on and on. Hellooooo?

#147973 - 05/08/08 08:03 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
"...ride a motorcycle done that , trained showdogs done that…oops…show dogs, not hubbys? No haven’t done that, belly dance hahahoho Mrs. Santa Claus laughing over here, sing, done that..now I can only sing baritone, paint yes, yes , and on and on and on. …..”

JJ, I love doing graphic work on my computer. The Microsoft enables me to create really nice expose´s.

If I had the time…which is what most of us lack, I would love to learn all the ins and outs of website making and market my skills. Although, this branch, like so many others is taken over by finished websites to download for minimum fees. But they just can’t be as individual as a customer may like…so maybe there is a chance.

When you say graphic art, do you mean on the web or on canvas?

I would like to take a sailing course for oceon sailing, which involves navigation skills, and screaming for help as loud as you can.

Edited by Edelweiss (05/08/08 08:14 AM)

#147974 - 05/08/08 11:44 AM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I meant on the web/computer. And the examples I gave were just to hopefully spur everyone on to think about what desires for creativity they may have.

I think desiging CUSTOM Web pages would be awesome. I don't have the patience to do that full time, like as in a job, but I just bet you would be sooooo good at it.

I don't want anything to do with the water. I love watching the ocean, and I know that people who sail swear by it, but I have a great fear of sharks and other things that go bump into the water...no thanks. But to each her own. I have friends who sail and they come back happy and satisfied.

Anyone else want to admit...ah...I mean share what they would LOVE to do? Let's leave time out of it. Let's say you have all of the time in the world...and so, what you would love to do issssss?

#147975 - 05/08/08 01:06 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I would probably really enjoy working with stained glass. My brother-in-law used to make lamps...I'd love to make a stained-glass torchiere lamp for our living room. One of my best friends is a full-time teacher, but his passion is working with stained glass...his work is phenomenal ( http://www2.cyg.net/~parart/pages/artwork.htm ). I had the chance to work with him one afternoon and enjoyed it immensely.

My problem isn't time, it's space. Our house is tiny, no room for a studio or workshop of any kind right now...I've mentioned to hubby my idea of turning the small spare room into some kind of studio and prayer room. But he wants to keep it as a spare bedroom...it's been two years since anyone used that room as a bedroom. We use it to store all of the stuff we buy throughout the year to take to our friends in Cuba (the room is jam-packed full already, and we won't be going until next January! So far we have eveything from Hot Wheels and Spiderman underwear to kitchen knives and about 20 bottles of sparkly nail polish.) So if we did renovate that room, we wouldn't have any place for the Cuba stuff, and that is our number one passion and commitment.

Anyway, we're still working on some innovative ideas as to how to create a creative space.

(Maya Angelou)

#147976 - 05/08/08 01:19 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh I can see why. His work would inspire me, for sure. Did you see The Genesis Ring? Isn't that beautiful? Wouldn't it make a glorious lamp?

About your spare room. Would shelving help? Just a thought.

#147977 - 05/08/08 01:42 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
...or Autumn Blaze...our carpet is paprika, the sofa brown with hunger green as the complementary colour (I love earth colours). So it would match the decor. I've seen the Genesis Ring - it's gorgeous...especially when it catches the light.

If I was going to renovate the room, I'd get rid of the bed, and line two of the walls with cubby shelves, enough to hold all of the Cuba stuff and any art supplies. I'd have a comfy chair and small table for my prayer books, candle and music. Then I'd need a table to work on...and that's about all the room would hold. Right now there's a twin bed, sewing table and old oak bureau from my childhood that hubby rescued and restored after Gary died. With all the Cuba stuff covering the bed and sewing table, there's barely room to walk in there.

The only way to go is up...lots and lots of shelves, cubby shelves would work best, given the wide diversity of stuff they would store. It looks great in my mind, but can't get hubby to share the vision - yet. Every so often I mention it to him, but he's just not open to it right now.

But the Cuba thing keeps me/us busy...it's fun, and creative, trying to find the most best stuff for the least amount of money - and then trying to fit it all into the suitcases in such a way that they don't draw too much attention when we go through Cuban customs!

BTW, we did get an estimate for installing one of those wall beds, you know, the kind that hides in the wall until you need it? Way out of our budget for now, but that would be a great way to go too...we would both get what we want.

(Maya Angelou)

#147978 - 05/08/08 02:43 PM Re: Crafts and other things [Re: Eagle Heart]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Oh Eagle the stained glass site is beautiful. If I'd clear out my garage I'd have some room to do more crafts than I do now. Years ago when my father was getting into stained glass I went around to all the places that sold the stuff he'd need and found it really interesting. As a matter of fact, I have his stained glass tools with me but have done nothing with them yet and he's been gone for 10 years. It takes time but produces the most beautiful pieces.

I think I'd like to do painting on canvas. I've never done it but think I might like it.
I think I'd like to learn how to do some of the woodworking projects my dad also did. He made the most beautiful shelves. But I'm not sure I could stand all the dust involved with it.

I like doing photography work and would love to have the time to concentrate on that.
www.tidedancer.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved