The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#145471 - 03/25/08 02:55 PM Gardening
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This topic has been here many times before, but it's that time of year again here in Baltimore. The birds are chirping and it's going to be in the 50s and 60s all week. The sun is shining and my space heaters are OFF!

Last week we had all of our garden clean up done in preparation done in time for the egg hunt. Now I'm ready to begin planting annuals but it's way too early. In this area, the rule is not to plant anything before Mother's Day. I can never wait that long.

What's everyone doing in their gardens these days? Sorry, I know some of you are watching the snow accumulate or melt.

#145472 - 03/25/08 05:39 PM Re: Gardening
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
This is how my little garden looks today...

I might have to look at planting snow lilies this year...you know, winter's cousin to the water lily???

(Maya Angelou)

#145473 - 03/25/08 10:04 PM Re: Gardening [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
LOL! Eagle...I had to go put on a jacket after I saw that pic...ew! They would be calling out the Army reserve down here if that kind of snow fell!

#145474 - 03/26/08 10:04 AM Re: Gardening [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

WAITING
thats what I am doing.Until the weather is warmer..If I were to attempt to garden at present it would chill me to the bone.
Roll on real Spring.
Mountain ash

#145475 - 04/07/08 10:34 PM Re: Gardening [Re: Mountain Ash]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
CACTI, ANYONE?

If you're going to Las Vegas and want to take home some absolutely adorable cacti or succulents (OK, not everyone finds them adorable, but it sounds good) I can package cuttings if you ask by midday Thursday. I'll transport them in recycled little boxes or paper bags if you want any.

These have stickers or pointy things:
pipe organ cactus -- 5-sided columnar, smooth with stickers on ribs -- pieces will be 3-5" long
steno-whatever cactus -- tube shape w. furry looking stickers, 3-5" long
needled agave -- long pointy "leaves" like aloe but hard and stickered on edges -- 3-5" x3-5"
flat pad cactus -- I'll try for pads under 5"

No stickers:
jade plant. Name your quantity
and 2 succulents which I don't know the name of. (yes, I have books. No, I'm not looking them up.) 1 has flat leaves like rosettes. 1 has fatter fuzzy leaves.

Poet and essayist

#145476 - 04/08/08 12:03 AM Re: Gardening [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Canyou take them on airplanes or is that against the rules?

#145477 - 04/08/08 12:17 AM Re: Gardening
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

California has laws against bringing in agricultural products. Almost no one else does. Sometimes when visiting a foreign country, different rules apply. If it's packed in your suitcase, the point is moot. I'm not including any soil, just the plant. Right now I'm looking at a coffee can, and a box from tea bags, both of which make good travel containers. More boxes in my garage.

All of these plants are extremely sturdy. And I'm good at packing

Poet and essayist

#145478 - 04/08/08 01:46 AM Re: Gardening [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Meredith, I'd love to have soemthing from your garden in my garden. Please bring me something I can put in my suitcase that's small and can survive in Baltimore, MD.

The only thing is that we probably aren't checking bags so I may have to carry on. I better check with my son about this. I'm sure he'll know.

#145479 - 04/08/08 10:45 PM Re: Gardening
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Dotsie, anything can survive indoors. Other than jade plant, I'm not sure if many others would survive outdoors in winter.

Poet and essayist

#145480 - 04/11/08 02:02 AM Re: Gardening [Re: meredithbead]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
10 new purple crocuses bloomed today! The snow finally melted yesterday and those little flowers didn't waste any time celebrating...what a joy to look out my kitchen window and see those tiny purple petals peeking up at me!

(Maya Angelou)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved