The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#143963 - 03/05/08 06:55 PM Re: Can We Talk About Death? [Re: gims]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
humlan,
I think you touched on an essence
- in a few words:

By accepting death, living should be enhanced.

#143964 - 03/05/08 06:56 PM Re: Can We Talk About Death? [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labour, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school where children played,
Their lessons scarcely done;
We passed the fields of gazing grain,
We passed the setting sun.

We paused before a house that seemed
A swelling of the ground;
The roof was scarcely visible,
The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries; but each
Feels shorter than the day
I first surmised the horses' heads
Were toward eternity.
Emily Dickinson
MA

#143965 - 03/05/08 11:24 PM Re: Can We Talk About Death? [Re: Mountain Ash]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Its funny how when young I for one never thought much about death, and never my own. I was indestructable as we all believe we are when young. Now I think of it and wonder, how the heck did I get old, when??? I don't remember my life slipping away. I remember well, my twenties, even my thirties then all of a sudden in a brief second in time, I was old, a senior citizen, I hate the label of senior citizen...Old well, pardon the rant, old person complaining!!!

Edited by chatty lady (03/05/08 11:25 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#143966 - 03/09/08 01:11 AM Re: Can We Talk About Death? [Re: chatty lady]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Complain away, chattylady..it´s not often that you do! I, for one, was almost surprised to associate you with the term "senior citizen" ..you may be senior to me in wisdom and humor..that is true..if I have to think in some term (or little box..Pete Seeger again..sorry) when I think of you. There may be som senior citizens out there..but you are NOT one of them! You are only as old as you feel..right???? RIGHT!!!!!!

Lots of HUGS over the big pond..and it´s ok to moan and groan..that´s the spice of life

#143967 - 03/10/08 08:27 PM Re: Can We Talk About Death? [Re: humlan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Glad to hear the book is speaking to you. Another one is Tuesdays with Morrie; loved that book.

This will take soem time and thought, but I'll give it a stab.

Do you fear death?

I don't fear death because I believe I'm going to a better place, but having to live while dying is another thing. I watched Mom wither away to nothing and it was painful for all of us, including her - physically and mentally. However, I still believe God was at work teaching all of us something about ourselves and our relationship with Mom and one another until the moment she died.

Do you look on it as a reward to life?
I do, but I do not believe it is a measured reward based on how one lives their life. I believe there will be no suffering, no pain, no sadness, or anything negative. That said, I believe that for all who believe Christ came to give us eteranl life. So I don't think it's any better or worse for one person or another.

Do you wish it didn't have to be a part of life?

No, I'm cool with it. I wouldn't want to live forever.

When you really think about it, does it paint life differently for you?
Absolutely, it gives me peace in knowing that I have nothing to fear should something tragic happen and I end up dying.

Does it challenge your feelings of personal significance?
No, we are all created equal.

Does it render your earthly endeavors meaningless, making you realize how insignificant we each are in the grand scheme of things?
No. Just the opposite. I believe we have all been given gifts and we are called to use them for the good of God and others. When we strive to live according to His will, we continue to see the blessings and purpose of our lives. We are all a part of His plan.

Thanks for asking these questions. I thoroughly enjoy reading what others believe because it causes me to pause and ponder which is good.

I recently read The Faith Club which is a book abouta these three women - a Christian, a Muslim and a Jew who were all in NY on 9/11. They met for several years and chatted about the similarities and differences within their beliefs. It was an awesome read if this topic interests you. They discussed death and dying too.

#143968 - 03/10/08 08:27 PM Re: Can We Talk About Death?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I miss Eagle! I'd love to read her responses on this topic. Anyone heard from her?

#143969 - 03/11/08 03:29 AM Re: Can We Talk About Death?
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
If I'm honest, yes I'm afraid of death...only because I would rather be living. Like most of you I'm afraid of how I die...I do not want to be a burden to my family or die violently. My personal wish is to be in the arms of my husband and slip away quietly with a smile on HIS face.
As many of you know, I did come close to checking out on my own...but, thank God and my children that never happened. I appreciate life. I appreciate living.
My father always said he was an athiest and when he had his massive heart attack he said he was so scared. Although he was raised in a religious household he chose not to believe in anything. He died afraid and alone except for his younger son (my half-brother) with him during his last hours. My dad was a child molester and I had distanced myself from him for years.
For me, I believe in God and believe that there's peace after death and I pray that if I am conscious during the time I am to die, that my belief will give me courage to face whatever I have to face.
The part I dread the most is leaving my sons and husband. The older I become the more I cherish the time we have and the more life means to me.
Don't know if this answered your question...

#143970 - 03/11/08 07:56 PM Re: Can We Talk About Death? [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Eagle must still be on vacation, she said she'd be gone in March. A cruise I think!!!
Humlan, thank you for the kind words and yes I do feel so much younger than my actual years, one reason its hard to believe what an old gal I really am. Sometimes I do complain though, hey why not, I am human and get cranky from time to time...

Dotsie & Dee, I agree with you both about death. I love life and being a part of the world but realize that death is part of living and my time will come. I also hope for a quiet peaceful departure. I would love to have all the animals I have saved or helped to the other side, to be there frisky, and playful, waiting for me...
Now to me that would be heaven.

Edited by chatty lady (03/11/08 07:59 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#143971 - 03/12/08 12:52 PM Re: Can We Talk About Death? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dee, youmention that the older you become, the more you cherish times we have and life means more to you. I am finding this to be particualry true with my FIL. He gets so excited aobut seeing his sons these days and even told them how much he likes their "private meetings." What a hoot. They have begun spending time alone with just the three of them and he revels in it.

#143972 - 03/12/08 03:16 PM Re: Can We Talk About Death?
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Another thing I've noticed is my older son, 36, spends more time talking to me via email/phone than he did in his 20's. I think he's realizing that I'm not going to be around forever and he seems to be finding more time for mom.
I'm glad your FIL is spending more time with your sons. They can learn a lot from him. How wonderful for your sons.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved