The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#14126 - 10/07/05 04:41 PM My son
donette Offline

Loc: St Joe Missouri
I am hoping that no one else has this problem but if you do I would like to talk to you . On labor day I took my beautiful 22 year old son to New Hope Treatment Center in Chicago . He was suicidal in his 5th attempt to get off Oxycoton and Diluid both opiates . He has only been using the drugs regularly for 6 months and was not injecting the drug but he went thorugh severe withdrawal (he lived by himself but I was in contact with him every day he worked for me ) the withdrawal was awful and I had no idea that this drug was so addictive . He tried five times on his own (which we just found out about ) I noticed the rage and the sickness adn then he became susicidal which he couldn't stand so he would find it and snort it again. This is not a tough street kid this is a boy with an IQ of 165 and a good supportive family His twin brother had just gotten back from being in the Navy after 4 years every thing was pretty good but he liked the way it made him feel. Thes painkillers are horrible to wothdraw from and he and his friend both got really sucicidal and fukll of rage in trying to get off of them luckily my son did not need the IV detox but he was close. He has completed 30 days in treatment and willbe in Chacago alone for two more months in aftercare trying to re adjust I am a psychotheraist and have been through alcohol treatment myself and it took me a while to notice . Just wanted to share this story and see if anyone has a similar story

#14127 - 10/07/05 05:31 PM Re: My son
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Donette,
I went through a similar detox from an anti-depressant. On the advice of my GP, I stopped cold turkey one day, and started taking a new AD the next day. It was horrendous. I became intensely "jagged", enraged, bizarre, and eventually suicidal. My husband didn't know what to do. Finally he filled the bathtub with lavender bath gel, and very tenderly bathed me for about 20 minutes. It calmed me down enough for me to call a pyschologist and make an appointment to see him the next day.

These detox experiences are so dangerous, but not taken seriously by doctors at all.

#14128 - 10/07/05 06:15 PM Re: My son
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My daughter is having alcohol problems. They have continued to increase. Last night, she was hallucinating. I called my oldest daughter who is in nursing school and we were both terrified. I have to leave today for a speaking gig in GA and I'm flying my oldest daughter in to stay with her sister. She's at a point that I can't leave her alone. I know how you feel. I'm crying as I write this. It's so heartbreaking. Just know I understand. When I return, I'm putting my daughter either in the hospital or detox.

#14129 - 10/08/05 07:41 AM Re: My son
donette Offline

Diane it is heartbreaking I went through a bad alcohol experience myself they found out later it wasn't all of it alcohol I began having psychotic experiences when I started the deprovera shot I started losing my memerory, had had seizures I was already drinking so I knew that I was dying so I drank until I became wetbrained the combination betwwen benzopine withdrawal (which I had been on for 30 years and just didn't have the energy to go get it ) the depo and the alcohol I entered the hoptial at 98 pounds literally a vegetable beleiving that I was dying and had brain demenia .
Get your daughter help and get her back alcohol, medicine withdrawal and different drugs can have different effects on different people I had had many bad things happen and still wan to escape from alcohol (it's been four years ) they thought I would be insitutionalized forever and I am back as a publisher , artist , and writer I ache everynight for my son being in so much pain but it is getting better . and he is getting stronger . Young kids going into treatment is so inconsistant with society as they are just starting to socialize and alohol is the most acceptable at this stage , don't ignore it until it is too late .
Alcohol and hallucinations is generally a sign of a deeper problem so dig deep kids are resillent it doesn't make it any less hard of the mothers and fathers etc.

#14130 - 10/11/05 06:22 PM Re: My son
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I am so sorry to hear of your heartaches. There is nothing worse than watching a child struggle. I believe it's worse than experiencing our own pain.

I have heard terrible things about oxycotin (sp?). I know a woman who eventually ended up on methadone because she was addicted to that drug.

I pray for strength among all women who are managing addictive behavior with their children. Keep the faith that help is around you. Reach for it until you are satisfied for your child and yourself. There is hope. Perhaps it would be good for you to be in some type of support group for loved ones.

#14131 - 10/11/05 06:43 PM Re: My son
donette Offline

Thank you, Dotsie, My son is out of the in-patient treatment center and is living in a 3/4 house. He has gotten a part-time job working at a clothing store. His spirits are pretty good. He goes to the treatment center several hours aday for aftercare. He is in a great area in Chicago so I'm not as worried, if he decides to leave the problem that we have now is that he is afraid to come home in December becasue he is afraid to going back to his old habits. His girlfriend broke up with him while he was there. ( which is a good thing) and this is another reason why is is afraid to return home. The family of course wants him home but also afraid they he will slip. I wanted to provide an update and thank those who responded

#14132 - 10/11/05 06:55 PM Re: My son
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dianne, Donette, and anyone else suffering thru this kind of thing... I am praying for you and want you to know I'm here, if you need me. Nothing could possibly break our hearts worse than seeing our children in pain. My hearts goes out to you all.

JJ

#14133 - 10/12/05 07:34 AM Re: My son
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My daughter checks in this morning to a 28 day detox/rehab program. She's scared but wanting the help badly. Honestly, I must live in a cave because I was walking through the room when she was talking to the intake at the facility and I had no idea how bad she was! Poor baby. She's no bigger than a minute and her little body must be in such bad shape. They said she could take books that dealt with her recovery but she told me she only wants to take her Bible.

She has no insurance and this program is costing $15,000 and my dear husband paid for it without the slightest flinch. Bless his heart. He said we've got to help our girl.

#14134 - 10/12/05 07:42 AM Re: My son
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Dianne I am so sorry to hear this, but it is good that she is going into rehab. My best friend is a recovering alcoholic and has been in and out of rehab many times. This is very close to my heart and I will pray for your whole family, especially your daughter. It is a good sign that she wants to take her Bible...she knows where her help and strength come from. God bless her soul...and yours...

#14135 - 10/12/05 07:43 AM Re: My son
donette Offline

Thanks JawJaw
I appreciate it. I really try to stay tough but sometimes it gets me . Two years ago when my ohter son (Morgan's identical twin brother) got back from Irag he went on a drinking spree (he was depressed) becasue they decommisoned his ship and was really upset and took his brand new truck and hit a tree going 60 miles an hour. He was not drunk at the time, but called Morgan (the one in treatment) and told him he was going to do it Morgan heard the whole thing the crash the rolling of the truck the horn honking and finally 15 minutes klater the police picked up the cell phone and asked Morgan who the truck belonged to Levi had crawwled from the wreckaged to a store . Morgan hasn't been okay since. WE all were traumatized but I really think he was the most wiht his brother being 2,000 miles away in California . He felt really helpless and angry. When Levi finally got back from the Navy they are close but Morgan started using about that time

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved