The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#139771 - 01/26/08 02:58 AM New gadget
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Hi y'all. I just have to tell you about the new gadget I have. I'm an avid reader and long ago ran out of shelf space and we're now running out of floor space to store my books (I have a hard time parting with any of them!) So 2 months ago, Amazon.com came out with an electronic book reader. My fantastic partner actually listened to me and bought me one for Christmas. It's been sold out and backlogged since it was first introduced Nov 19. My Kindle finally arrived yesterday, and I am thrilled. I could go on and on about this new gadget, but will just say that I never thought I would enjoy reading a book in electronic form. It's pricey, but when I think about all the trees and paper it will save, plus the cost of best-sellers is low, I can justify the price. It holds about 200 books, is about the size of a paperback and weighs a lot less. A memory card can be added for more storage, plus Amazon will store your purchases for you. You can annotate, highlight, write comments (like I do in the margins of my books) bookmark pages. (There is also a web site to download free books in Kindle format as well as other formats - manybooks.net if you want to check it out.)

Sorry if I'm gushing here, but the Kindle is fantastic. If you want to know more, you can check it out on Amazon.com, and I'm not getting any money for recommending it!! LOL

School is going well so far and I'm actually ahead on my assignments. I'm checking in here every day, but haven't posted until now 'cause I haven't had time. But I had to let y'all now about the Kindle and how fantastic I think it is. And to let y'all know I'm thinking about you even if I'm not saying so; and offering up prayers and thanksgivings for those who ask (and for those who don't, too!)

Miss you guys!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#139772 - 01/26/08 02:22 PM Re: New gadget [Re: yonuh]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Yonuh,
I just watched the video on this. It looks cool. Is Amazon the only way you can buy this? I was wondering if it is in stores, like Costco? Maybe it will be. It is pricey, but the initial cost doesn't concen me as much as the cost of books and magazines and how you pay for them. they must go on a credit card. I'm assuming you need an amazon account of some kind. But it says most books are $9.99 or less. I don't often pay that much for a book, especially a paperback. I buy paperbacks at Costco for under $5 most of the time. Sometimes I buy them at Wal-mart's cheap as well. It certainly looks like something I might like though. I do love gadgets.

#139773 - 01/26/08 02:25 PM Re: New gadget [Re: Louisa]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
My stepdaughter really wants one of these, but they're not available in Canada yet. I think they're only available through Amazon.com, because they use an Amazon-specific wireless network connection - I think the price of that network access is incorporated into the price of the books, so maybe that's why they're more expensive.

(Maya Angelou)

#139774 - 01/26/08 02:45 PM Re: New gadget [Re: Eagle Heart]
Louisa Offline

Sounds intesting, but I do love my books. Of course, I'm running out of room too. I don't want to end up with another toy that I don't use much. I have so many already. I love my digital picture frame. I also have a digital picture book, but I hardly ever bother with it.

#139775 - 01/26/08 05:46 PM Re: New gadget [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I'm sure each and every household will have at least one or two of these electronic books within the next ten years. Jeez, I wonder if there are stocks you can buy on them? I also wonder what this will do to our beautiful local book stores. The city I live near is a book city. I think every third store is a book store. That's why I do try to buy my books at the stores and not over amazon. I don't want those quaint little dusty stores to fold.
I wish this gadget was never invented,...but who knows, maybe I too will be an owner some day.

#139776 - 01/26/08 05:54 PM Re: New gadget [Re: Edelweiss]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
How do these gadgets replicate that irresistable feel and smell of a book, especially the familiar smell of an old book that has been sitting on family shelves for decades and lifetimes? I do like holding an old book in my hands, and would miss the smell...hmmm, this reminds me of scenes from Star Trek, where Kirk would be seen caressing, with great respect and awe, an old earth book that he had bought on the space version of the black market (along with the old reading glasses Bones found somewhere in San Francisco on one of their time-traveling trips).

(Maya Angelou)

#139777 - 01/26/08 09:32 PM Re: New gadget [Re: Eagle Heart]
Louisa Offline

I think it's sort of like photo albums. All this digital stuff is great and I love looking at the pictures online and making little albums to share, etc., but it is also so nice to hold an old family album and slowly turn the pages and look at pictures. I'm sure we can mix the Kindle with the books the same way we do digital pictures with albums. I donate some of the books I'm done with, or I go to a used bookstore where I turn them in for credit toward more books. Good point, Hannelore. I'd miss bookstores. I too like the old ones more than the new B&N & Borders type even though you can buy a cup of coffee or a sandwich and sit down and read. What will happen to the libraries we have left?

#139778 - 01/27/08 12:05 AM Re: New gadget [Re: Louisa]
yonuh Offline

I don't think the Kindle, or any other ebook reader, is going to put bookstores or libraries out of business any time soon. I thought long and hard before requesting this as a gift, and I did lots of research. The reviews were mostly good. My main reasons for wanting this gadget were lack of space, not wanting to use more trees and paper, and the ability to carry more than one book at a time when we take a trip. I can buy the classics for as little as 49cents, or even get them for free. I can also buy textbooks for a fraction of the cost I would pay for a physical book. Bestsellers are $9.99; other books not on the bestseller list are a lot less than that. And there are other books that I would want that cost less than I can buy them for at the used book store (I checked.) The Kindle will never replace books for me, but I can carry a whole library in my hand. How cool is that?

Books don't have to be purchased at Amazon, although the Kindle is an Amazon product. There is software available, for free, that will convert other ebooks to something the Kindle can read. And I'm sure there are other sites that already have, or soon will have, books available. I know Manybooks.net has books from the Gutenberg Project already available for download for the Kindle, all of them free.

Also, for you authors out there, Amazon has a link for publishers and authors who might consider making their books available to Kindle owners.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#139779 - 01/27/08 12:33 AM Re: New gadget [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Yonuh, thanks for telling us about your experience. I'd seen this and was curious. I have a feeling this is the way of the future. Id love to know some statistics on the ages of people buying it. You are do progressive. I'm wondering if the majority of buyers are younger. Just thinking that perhaps they haven't been holding, smelling, and marking up books as long as boomer shave so they might not think twice. They are also more comfortable with technology than some boomers.

I read an article that referred to it as an Ipod for books. How cool is that? I love the idea, but don't know that I'm ready for it yet. I continue to buy more book shelves.

#139780 - 01/27/08 12:55 AM Re: New gadget
dancer9 Offline

Oh, I, too, would miss my books! You can't beat a book for it's feel, smell, and touch! I'll have to hold out!
dancer

"Question your privilege"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved