The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#138308 - 01/16/08 09:53 PM First Quilting Square
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I FINALLY took that first step today towards making a quilt by attending my first quilting class. There are 4 ladies in the class so the instructor can provide lots of hands-on instruction. I made my first 9-patch square (I think that's what it's called). By the end of seven weeks I will supposedly have a small quilt with different patterns made to take home.

Nancy, our instructor, has quilts hanging in the art museum in Mobile so I'm pretty humbled by her abilities and skill. I told her I am pretty anal when it comes to sewing (if the seams and such don't line up I will rip it out and do it over until it's right). She laughed and said I'd make a great quilter...I think that was a compliment LOL.
Are there any quilters out there who could share their love for quilting and any tips they might want to share? Photos?
My uncertainty is coordinating fabrics...I had to pick out six today...two solids and 4 patterned...we'll see how things go in the coming weeks.

#138309 - 01/16/08 10:48 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I share a love for them, for sure. I use to collect old quilts until they got so expensive I had to give that habit up. I've never made one, and doubt I could. I don't have the patience. Yet I can knit for hours on end...go figure.

I would LOVE to see a pic of whatever you create. Good for you in doing something you'll love. Isn't it fun to create?

#138310 - 01/17/08 04:04 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
Dee Offline

Hi JJ....Yes, it's a lot of fun to create...I'll send you a picture IF it turns out looking okay...oh, what the heck...even if it's not! The point is to have fun when you do these things...crocheting, knitting, painting, learning a new language...whatever. Now that I'm retired it's nice to know that I have the time to do things I enjoy that I didn't have time when I was working fulltime.
You do something I could NEVER get the hang of...knitting. I just cannot work two needles at the same time...must require using both sides of the brain at once...mine doesn't work that way. What are you knitting JJ? Got any pictures of your projects?

#138311 - 01/17/08 04:59 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I hope you show pics whether you think it turns out good or not...I betcha you do beautiful work! I can think of few things more fun than sitting around a quilt, jabbing with the girls, while quilting. You can fellowship and make something useful (not wasting time) at the same time.
I'm going to dig up my dad's book and share with you his memory of his mom and her friends/relatives quilting.

Knitting is a little different, to me. You can watch TV or the grandchildren, even read when you knit. It's a mechanical procedure, unless you have to count... knit one, purl two, knit one, purl two. When can we see some of your work, JJ?

#138312 - 01/17/08 12:07 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: gims]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Dee, that's wonderful. I tend to go through creative phases in my life which isn't always so good! I don't tend to stick with what I learn. In the 80's I crocheted and absolutely loved it. After a few years I put it away. I was in ministry then with my husband and as near as I can remember I stopped when we moved to a large church in late '88. And the only experience I had with quilting was doing four pillows (2 for MIL and one for my mother) one Christmas in the '80's. When Mom died 2 1/2 years ago, I got the two pillows back that I had given her. I completely cherish these and protect them. I remember the (literal) blood that went into these! A cathedral pattern and so nice.

#138313 - 01/17/08 04:14 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh girls, I have long since given away anything I knitted and if truth be told, the receivers probably have them tucked away in some closet! HA! I love to do these things (knitting, crocheting, etc.) because they allow my brain to continue on thinking at a fast rate, while my hands go in another direction and create something.

I also (don't laugh) am an avid, and I do mean avid, jigsaw puzzle worker from wayyyyyyyyyy back. My whole family works them. Regularly. 1,000 piece or better. No three-D ones, just the regular, theme ones. Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Mickey Mouse, cottages, NO THOMAS KINKADE (ew), James Dean, Norman Rockwell, and on and on and on. I can show you plenty of pics of those. My whole house has them all over the place.

When I talk to one of my sisters and they say they have been to our cousins houses and stayed the weekend, I say, "Well good, what did ya'll do?" The response always include, "oh and we worked that new jigsaw puzzle that just came out, ____(fill in the blank). I would rather work one of these than eat. Too bad there isn't a biz demand for them. I work a 1,000 one in about two-three days. Tops.

Then I glue and frame them. Lordy I love that fetish! Can you tell?

#138314 - 01/17/08 04:37 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

I'd love to see them JJ.....I LOVE jigsaw puzzles. I also love word puzzles....but back to the jigsaw's. There's something so comforting and resting about sitting for hours doing these....and coming back awhile later to put in a few more pieces. I concentrate nicely so I don't have to think of much of anything else. I hate sharing though yeah, it's true. I love having the puzzle all to myself but I do share if I really have to! Love 'em...and this is the time of year that I MOST love them. Life has been too crazy and my mind has been elsewhere so I haven't put them together as much in the past few years.

#138315 - 01/17/08 06:15 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I don't want to take away from Dee's quilting post, but here are just a few. Mostly, I donate them to children shelters or women shelters. These I kept

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#138316 - 01/17/08 06:24 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

woooohooooooo JJ! Fantastic! Love them!

#138317 - 01/17/08 06:24 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
Anonymous
Unregistered

JJ, so who's your favorite pop star?!

#138318 - 01/17/08 07:14 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
I just took up quilting last year and I absolutely love it -- except for the frustrating parts, of course! I've done one applique square where I had no idea what I was doing and it came out pretty, if very unsquare! LOL!

I just finished piecing a Halloween quilt. Now that was fun, finding all those scraps of Halloween fabrics. Then I had to make them go together -- 18 squares had to have 3-4 fabrics each. It took a while.

I took a quilting class last Saturday and that was VERY discouraging. I have an old machine and it was cranky. It won't take many of the new nice threads and I can't afford the few grand they want for a new one. But I'm determined to learn so that I can finish the quilt! I'll do pictures when I get it finished.

Keep at it, Dee, there's no "wrong." It's all creative. Selecting fabrics can be a bit overwhelming, I agree, but eventually you start getting an instinct for it, I think.

#138319 - 01/17/08 07:20 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Casey]
ladyjane Offline

Here is a pic of my very humble "only" quilting project ever (I mentioned it a few posts ago)...

#138320 - 01/17/08 09:12 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
Cookie Offline

Love your puzzles, JJ!! LJ, your quilted pillows are lovely! Can't wait to see your quilt Dee. Quilting and puzzles always remind me of my mom. She always had a card table with a zillion piece puzzle on it that she was working on, and a quilt in the making near the sofa that she was piecing together. She would work on both of them in the evenings after she came home from work. She said it was relaxing and it kept her mind busy.

#138321 - 01/17/08 11:06 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Cookie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Wow, LJ, those pillows are so beautiful. Catheral Windows, right? I've heard that is the most difficult pattern to make. Do you agree? They are so pretty!

#138322 - 01/18/08 01:46 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ]
Dee Offline

That is so cool...JJ. I've worked many-a-puzzle but never kept them...I think that's neat the way you hang them up like that. There's one company (can't think of it) but they do vivid colors and their scenes are of countryside and towns and I loved putting those together. How many puzzles do you think you've worked in the past 10 years?

#138323 - 01/18/08 12:16 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
ladyjane Offline

yeah, I know....a difficult quilting square and it's the ONLY one I've ever done! It was done by hand...no machines. I don't know if I ever will do it again. I started another thread about "most memorable years." It was also during that particular time in my life that I was the most creative....quilting, crocheting, rubber stamping. I'm not sure what happened!

#138324 - 01/19/08 02:36 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
Dee Offline

LadyJane....I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy...(on knees bowing to you). Holy cow, woman!!!! Your FIRST quilting project? I look at your pillows and drool. I think that is the most beautiful pattern out there and can only HOPE that I can eventually do that. LJ...you're my hero!!!!!
Casey...I'll do my best. I found some cool fabric, however, I'm of the sewing mindset when it comes to fabric and not the quilt mindset...until I learn how to stretch my imagination with colors my quilt squares may be a little dull. But, I'll be sure and post my finished class project here on this site.
Thanks ya'll for the encouragement! And LJ...you go girl!!!

#138325 - 01/19/08 03:43 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Dee, I don't have a clue. I didn't show you the one hanging in the kitchen. I think it was 3,000 pieces. It is a coke-cola one.

Growing up, our house always had a card table up with a puzzle on it. With five girls, somebody was always getting grounded. Mostly me. And working a puzzle was the ONLY thing Mom would let us do, when grounded.

When my kids were growing up, I carried on the same tradition. Then it got to where their friends would drop by just to sit and talk, and work the puzzles. It was a cool thing!

#138326 - 01/19/08 04:35 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
Dee Offline

I remember card tables and puzzles...what a wonderful memory you just brought back to me....of course, when I got grounded it was a different story. Why not post the coca-cola puzzle so we can all see it? When is the last time you worked on one?

#138327 - 01/19/08 05:39 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
gims Offline

Puzzles were a big part of my life, too. The girls, my husband and I had one going often while they were still at home. My oldest daughter played the same game every time... no matter whose puzzle we were working. She'd pocket one piece of the puzzle, knowing it was almost finished. Then, when it was all done, but that one piece, she'd bring it to bear. That way she always placed the last piece. It became expected and became a family laughing matter. It never worked that one of the others of us put one away for ourselves. Somehow, she'd always be the victor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know what would be fun. For each of us to make a square for a quilt (after having someone determine the dimensions and rules for creating). Then all send them to the queen quilter to have it put together. Then we could give it to dotsie for her bday. Or she could have it as a prize for one of her contests. It'd be neat to see what the final product would look like, if the theme was NABBW.

#138328 - 01/19/08 01:43 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: gims]
Dee Offline

Now that sounds like a great idea!!!!

#138329 - 01/19/08 02:05 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

What a cool idea! The only problem is I couldn't sew a button on a blouse. What do morons like me do about making a square?

#138330 - 01/19/08 05:36 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

JJ, I think that's what would be great about it. There are embroidery pens by which someone could create a square. There are iron-on photo options. There is quilting, itself, to create a square to add into a quilt. There is embroidery stitching. There is smocking. There is tatting. Let's see, what else? Even if someone used fabric paints and put a hand print (or something) on a square. Or, ironed on lipstick after kissing the fabric. Poets could write a poem, writers a quote or very short story. Lawyers could pen out something about women's rights. Beaders could bead.
Imagine.

#138331 - 01/19/08 06:29 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

This is absolutely one of the best ideas I've heard of in a long, long time. I will prompt Dotsie to take a look at this thread and see what she thinks. We could donate the quilt to a charity or raffle it off and the donations could go to a charity.

How smart you are! I wish you smart cooties would rub off on me through postmosis...whatttt?

#138332 - 01/19/08 06:39 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Wow, jj...
They're fantastic! I love Elvis, too! But I can't quilt or sew or knit or any of that neat stuff. I wish I could.

Mustang, right you are! A horse is a thing of beauty!
My horse's name was "Skylark"; he went to horse heaven long ago. But I still love him!

Edited by bonnierose333 (01/19/08 06:40 PM)

#138333 - 01/19/08 07:21 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jabber]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
What a great idea gimster. Can a quilt be stapled or glued together? Eeee sorry I’m with JJ on this. I rather go up walls then sew anything. Whaaat did you say? Poets can write a poem? Well there you are… I’m in!

Still I appreciate a good work of art. Ladyjane those pillows are a delight. WOW! If I had that talent I would cover my rooms with them.
JJ…do you have Elvis baby hanging in your bedroom? So tell, …how can you sleep at night?

#138334 - 01/20/08 12:41 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I love the idea of a quilt, although I have never made a square on square quilt. I did just finish a beautiful multi colored black lapghan for Dancer, mailed it and she should have it on Monday. I started a new one last night in multi-color warm FALL colors for Mountain Ash, its coming along nicely and I should be mailing it to her in Scotland by next Friday. I actually lose weight crocheting nights, instead of sticking things into my mouth, I crochet. It works too...I call it the Craft Diet...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#138335 - 01/20/08 02:54 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Chatty...have you figured out how to use your new digital camera yet? Be sure to post photos of your crocheted items...I can't wait to see them.

#138336 - 01/20/08 09:57 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Nope Dee, I haven't figured it out as yet. I would love to post pictures of my lapghans and will if I can ever figure things out. The colors are so beautiful. I'm hoping maybe the recipients might post a picture when thy get them if they are able to. Lola did when she got hers way back when, where is Lola anyway, anyone know???

Edited by chatty lady (01/20/08 09:58 PM)

#138337 - 01/21/08 12:51 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Hope you figure it out before you ship out your beautiful creations...it's quit easy once you figure out how. Do you have a friend who is familiar with DC's? If not...you may need to do what I get my husband to do...read the manual.

#138338 - 01/21/08 12:18 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
Edelweiss Offline

Chatty, I've been wondering about Lola too. I have tried calling her a couple of times. I think she's with her grandchidren most of the time. When I reach her I'll let you all know.

#138339 - 01/21/08 05:43 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Edelweiss]
Casey Offline

Beautiful work, Jane! I've started pinning my Halloween quilt and it's quite exciting to see it start to take form as a real quilt.

I'd hoped crafting would keep me from putting things in my mouth, but it hasn't QUITE worked that way!

#138340 - 01/21/08 10:22 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Casey]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Is someone going to give the schematics of the squares. I want to make one as well. Then where do we send the square when finished? Who's going to sew them all together, or has it gone that far in planning yet?

Thanks Hannelore, that would be great...

Casey, the only way it works is if its more trouble to stop what you're doing, move the project aside, then get up, get your snack and be soooo careful not to get it near your project...that is the only time it works, because if its something small enough to set aside easily, it doesn't work...LOL

#138341 - 01/22/08 05:09 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

NOTE: I've never made a quilt... but, I think it would be more than we could do... Now, how is that for being pessimistic ?~!~?
We'd need to have a square submission fee - to cover backing, border, batting, and thread - someone might donate construction time.
Using 5x5 finished squares (6x6 true, 1/2" seam allowance), it would take 324 squares - ouch! - to make a double sized quilt. That's without a top-side border. With a sizable border it would take fewer (5 inch border would reduce the count by approx. 68 squares). Unless, I'm doing the math wrong.
Another option, which might be more workable, would be a NABBW wall hanging.... or pot holder. J/K

Theme would have to be "boomer women"
Background color maybe pale yellow, trim dark pink,
color in squares: any and all colors - just like our personalities

Just some thoughts if anyone is truly interested. Dots might be thinking, OMG! do what?!

#138342 - 01/22/08 09:41 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: gims]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You lost me somewhere around square submissions and backing, borders. I thought everyone made her square of whatever she had and then it was sent to one person who would piece it together, NO?? YES?? I'm lost...

#138343 - 01/23/08 02:57 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

I'm off to my 2nd quilting class in about half an hour...yikes...today we're working with triangles and more block building...I feel like a duck out of water but gosh, I'm excited to learn something new!

#138344 - 01/24/08 03:25 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
Dee Offline

OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!! Okay...I'll admit it...I've never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier...and today I proved it. Went to my 2nd quilting class...we used that rotary cutter (used the instructor's and man was it dull)...I came home and demonstrated it to Larry (I had bought a new one)...and was cutting out a square of material...somehow I was holding everything in a position that I'd just said "I'm sure this isn't how I'm supposed to hold this thing", when I sliced the top of my left index finger faster than you can say...(insert naughty word)...talk about razor sharp...I have a flap of skin being held on by 2-3 skin cells and wouldn't let Larry cut it off (I'm a big baby)...so I now have my finger wrapped in a band aid and a lot of gauze over that ...I've already banged it once tonight and made it bleed. Good grief...have I gained a new respect for that cutter...talk about dangerous... And so far I suck at quilting...we did triangles today and I spent half the class watching someone else figure out how to cut them out...I got home and after I stopped bleeding all over the place I managed to put together one block and it's kindda sad looking...LOL. Hopefully, I'll get better on my next one. Sheesh.

#138345 - 01/24/08 06:07 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
LOL Dee! Should I send you a bucket??

Poet and essayist

#138346 - 01/24/08 12:24 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

Awww, Dee. See...I believe that quilting is a very bloody past time! Those pillows that I posted here were full of blood and washed repeatedly as I completed them....just by the needle that I used. I had very sore fingers...hey, maybe that's why I never did it again! Hope your finger heals quickly...what a bummer.

#138347 - 01/24/08 02:53 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
Dee Offline

Meredith...Yeah, send it on...I may need it. LOL

LadyJane...I remember my Mamaw used a thimble (I had one but cannot find it)...so far we've not used a needle but that could be interesting as well. I've decided to go ahead and purchase a good thimble just in case.
Last night I cut out another block and used the roller cutter...talk about paranoid now...sheesh...now that I know that this thing can cut down to bone it's made me a bit leary...but, really, really respectful of the sucker. Sheesh!!!
Your pillow, by the way, are absolutely beautiful. I can't believe it was your first (and last) quilting. Well, if you're only going to do something once, you sure picked the beautiful one to do. I'm so envious!!!!

#138348 - 01/24/08 03:11 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
ladyjane Offline

Dee, I hesitate to say that this moron DID use a thimble (they're all hand stitched) and still managed to prick myself continuously!! OUCHIE. I think I was so relieved to have those babies done for Christmas that I never wanted to do it ever again. Yes, I bet you've gained a whole new respect for the cutter! I'm so glad it wasn't even worse than that, Dee. I'm reckless when it comes to these things and have a long history of recklessness. As a freshman in Home Ec. class (which was the ONLY year I took that class), I put a sewing machine needle right through my index fingernail. I had to go to the hospital to have it removed!!! And you know why that happened?!?! Because I was horsing around pretending the machine was a race car...just to be funny. Well, in the end the joke was on me! Oh gosh, I could tell some stories of my insane actions in Junior and Senior Highschool!

#138349 - 01/24/08 03:33 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
Dee Offline

OMGosh...Ladyjane...a machine needed? I'm cringing just thinking about that. Okay...I think you need to stay away from sharp pointie thing...LOL. I need to stay away from round pointie thing...LOL.
I worked at a TG&Y when I was young and they used to tag clothing with a machine that shot the price tag and a staple at the same time when the part of the cloth was slid into a slot. One day we heard a screaming coming from the women's department. A girl put her finger in the slot and had stapled herself to the machine. I imagine having a needle shoved through your finger is much worse...egads!!!!
Okay...tell tell tell tell...wanna hear more stores of your Junior and Senior Highschool stunts!!! Please???

#138350 - 01/24/08 03:58 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
ladyjane Offline

Yeahbut (my favorite word)...this is a quilting forum! Okay, everyone...don't yell at me because Dee said so!! One story...and if I need to tell more then we'd better move! When I was a junior in highschool I absolutely detested my English teacher....he was new, geeky, NON-smiling and had beady little eyes. The biology lab was directly over his English classroom. Sooooo...one day in the lab I instigated a wonderful plan. Of course, there are always a few kids that will follow anybody and do anything. We were working on pig fetuses....yup, I know...grossss. But that's where we did those things. We had a free spirited sort of biology teacher and he was off galavanting (don't yell at me for that word either) somewhere. We attached several fetuses to heavy duty string, opened the windows and very, very slowly lowered them down to the windows of Mr. Geek's class. It was hilarious!!!! Several of his students got sick or ran from the room and Mr. Beady-eyes is hanging out his window trying to see who was doing this! It was well known through the school and NO ONE ever 'fessed up to it. Sure, we all got lectured about it but I had a way of just sitting there looking unimpressed. When we had a reunion and a memory tour, we were walking by the lab and everyone just broke out in hysterical laughing at the same time...we were all remembering!!! Oh my, I was a bad girl but I had a lot of fun.

#138351 - 01/24/08 05:02 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
Dee Offline

I thought it would be cool to start a new forum so I went to REMEMBER and added Jane's story above and started a new forum, "Were you a prankster in school?" I did that so I could hear more stories from LadyJane and others. This outta be fun!!!

#138352 - 01/25/08 05:50 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
Dee Offline

A machine 'needed'? Sheesh...I swear I don't see what I type sometimes...NEEDLE...that's what I meant to say. UGH

#138353 - 01/25/08 06:18 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
Casey Offline

Ouch! I've been very leary of the rotary cutter since I got it. I've dreamed of doing exactly what you did, Dee! AND a sewing machine needle???

I'm a machine quilter -- not a lot of patience for hand sewing, although it tickles the back of my brain that it might be nice. Not interested in pricked fingers, either.

Dee, triangles are hard. I did 18 "good luck" pieces that involved 8 triangles each. I can definitely tell the first ones from the last ones! All I can say, is if you keep at it, it will probably get easier and better. And, we are all our own worst critics!

Did you sew before? I've sewn all my life and I think that makes it easier. I also worked in a costume shop in college and the instructor taught me to tailor. I even made a few suit jackets at one point -- something I don't think I'd attempt now.

I think a "round robin" quilt would be interesting. Someone starts with a block and then mails it to someone else who creates another block and sends it to someone else, etc. At least, I think that's how it goes. There's still the problem of paying for backing and batting and quilting thread, but we could probably work it out using Paypal. Then we could donate it as the NABBW to a charity somewhere. We could even make it a crib quilt which is a lot smaller!

#138354 - 01/26/08 02:08 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Casey]
Dee Offline

Casey...I've got to hit the sack at the moment but I definitely want to respond to your post...talk soon.

Hugs all around

#138355 - 01/30/08 12:58 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
gims Offline

OH, boy... wouldn't the postage $$$ grow as quilt got closer to the last robin?! Ouch, fabric can weigh alot. The concept is awesome, but the cost of forwarding unevenly distributed. I guess you could tape a few quarters inside as it progressed along.
Regardless, it would be neat to see what the final product might be.

#138356 - 01/30/08 04:46 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: gims]
Dee Offline

Casey...sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you...but, here I am.
First, I'm impressed with your tailoring skills...I have been sewing since I was knee high to a pedal singer sewing machine...and I've lined outfits but never did a suit...(I'm bowing to you now...I am not worthy). Goodness...that takes lots of patience and skill. I understand why you'd rather not take that one, again.
I've made a total of five 9 blocks...and you're right...it gets better with each square. I have four more to make for my class project and I've saved the hardest one for last...yikes. The hardest part of cutting everything out...and then lining up the seams to match perfectly...you're blind when sewing it and not until you open it do you know if you've hit or missed. But, I'm loving it and will continue.
How do you choose your colors? Colors make or break a quilt and I admit I'm a bit intimidated when it comes to picking them.
I haven't learned any circular cuts yet...that's coming up and then after we've made all nine blocks, we'll start to piece it together. I want to do as much by machine as possible...don't have the patience to do it any other way.
Are you still quilting, Casey?
I'd love to say I'd take on putting together the quilt but I am no where near doing something like that at this point. I do love the idea and maybe one day we can do this.

#138357 - 02/17/08 04:07 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
Dee Offline

My first attempt at a 9-patch lap quilt...I still have to 'quilt' it but that's next week's lesson...this is really, really cool to do...can't wait to finish it and start a new one.

[image][/image]

Edited by jawjaw (02/17/08 05:00 PM)

#138358 - 02/17/08 04:49 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
Edelweiss Offline

Dee, this is incredible! And this is your first patchwork quilt? Girl, You are talented. I bet this will look lovely in your guest room.

#138359 - 02/17/08 09:11 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Dee, that is gorgeous! How long did it take you?

#138360 - 02/18/08 01:02 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Louisa]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dee that quilt is just beautiful . Ihave one my MIL made when my husband and I were first married . I have to take a picture of it soon on the digital camera . My MIL desgined was bow ties and it is so pretty .

Lovely work , Renee

#138361 - 02/18/08 01:25 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Sadie]
Dee Offline

Hannelore...yes, humbly it's my first...if you could see it up close you'd see the boo-boo's.

Louisa...thank you...it took me about three to four weeks to make all the blocks and I did the strips in between the blocks and around the blocks in one day...but I only worked that fast because my instructor wanted to use my quilt top in class to demontrate how to base the layers together...I'd never do that again...way too much work at once.

Renee...Please...we must see your quilt. I've seen the bow tie block and it's really beautiful. That was so sweet of your MIL to make that for you. I hope to do the same for my boys one day as I get more experience. Can't wait to see it!!

JJ...thanks for resizing the pic for me and for your sweet comments in your PM. You're a sweetheart.

#138362 - 02/18/08 05:48 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dee, this is lovely! You're so talented

Poet and essayist

#138363 - 02/18/08 05:58 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Well girl, you outdid yourself. Are you absolutely positive this was your first quilt? I am so impressed!!! You did a great job. What is the square in the upper left hand corner called? I've never seen that before.

#138364 - 02/18/08 01:29 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: gims]
ladyjane Offline

Wow, Dee...absolutely marvelous! How pretty! Now I understand how hard you're working at this! Good for you! And the nice thing is that you want to start another when this is finished...you're hooked, girl!

#138365 - 02/18/08 03:41 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Dee your quilt is really very pretty. I love it. You are quite talented. Congratulations.

I tried one time but couldn't get the jest of it so have not tried again even though it naggs me. I do lots of crafts throughout the year and would love to do a quilt but have not gotten the idea yet. You show me it can be done. Thanks and good luck with it all.
www.tidedancer.com

#138366 - 02/18/08 06:35 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Sandpiper]
Dee Offline

Sandpiper...I can't take most of the credit...that goes to my instructor...she's had 30 years experience and is the sweetest lady...doesn't fuss about mistakes (which mine is loaded with). I would have never tried this by myself...it took being in a group of other newbies and with someone who has a lot of patience...LOL).

Gims...the square in the left hand corner is called CARD TRICK. I found it on the internet, copied it and went from there. I absolutely love that one and the Ohio Star.

LadyJane...so sweet of you to say so...I'm blushing now...

Merideth...I call it more determination than talent (and luck)...LOL

#138367 - 02/19/08 01:57 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
gims Offline

Which is the Ohio Star?

#138368 - 02/19/08 03:48 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: gims]
Dee Offline

Gims...the two middle left blocks...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved