The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 186 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#135008 - 12/16/07 03:01 PM coffee connoisseurs...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
You gals that receive compliments about how good your percolated coffee tastes, tell me: How many of those scoops,
which come with the cans of coffee, do you use for a 12 cup
coffeemaker? I just got a new Sunbeam, 12 cup, percolator.
I only make percolated coffee during the Holidays or when my mother-in-laws stays over. But I think all these years,
I've been making my coffee too weak. On the can of Chuck-Full-Of-Nuts, it says to use 1 tbs. 4 every 6 oz. of water. Those scoops measure just under 2 tbs. Hence, if I'm figuring right, one scoop makes l 1/2 cups of coffee.
I tried it. And that seems strong to me. If I do what they say, I'll need 8 scoops? Right? But I don't want it as strong European Coffee. What say U?
Thanks.
bonnierose

#135009 - 12/16/07 03:09 PM Re: coffee connoisseurs... [Re: jabber]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
BonnieRose...I never scoop...always just guestimate...and as da Queen herself told me the other night...that's a little weak! Sorry...I'm of no help!

#135011 - 12/16/07 11:35 PM Re: coffee connoisseurs... [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I use a french press. I fill up my grinder with beans, grind, dump and pour over "almost" boiling water. Wait. 5 minutes later great coffee.

Peace beans, caribou beans, starbucks beans, or the cheap stuff at the grocery.

A percolater? Really, does this exist any longer?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#135012 - 12/16/07 11:42 PM Re: coffee connoisseurs... [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Jane, god luv her, fixed chocolate coffee at her Christmas party and it tasted good, but you could read a newspaper through it.

I have a scoop I use and two scoops = 6 cups of coffee...I'll test it, but I would say the scoops are a tad less than a tablespoon.

#135014 - 12/17/07 01:34 PM Coffee can directions.... [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I don't know ladies? On the side of the can, it reads:
"Use 1 tablespoon per 6 oz. of water." Well, the scoop that's included with the coffee, is a little less than two
tablespoons. That is if my mearsuring spoons are accurate.
Thus, 1 scoop equals l 1/2 cups of coffee, because a cup is 8 oz. Therefore, 2 scoops equals 3 cups of coffee. Therefore, if that logic is followed, I'd need 8 scoops to make 12 cups of coffee. However, that seems like too much.
On the other hand, I can't get honest feedback from guests.
You know how that goes, "Oh, this is great. It's just fine."
Why folks' can't be truthful, I haven't a clue. It hurts my feelings more thinking they're tolerating incorrectness, rather than offering to improve a situation.
JJ, if I follow what you're saying, I'd use 4 scoops 2 make 12 cups of coffee? Does your scoop hold 2 tablespoons?
Thanks for the input ladies!
P.S. I realize, this isn't a life or death thing. But I'd like to perfect it a little more, if I could. Thanks for understanding!!!

#135015 - 12/17/07 02:35 PM Re: Coffee can directions.... [Re: jabber]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
All I have is a regular drip coffee maker. I always use 1 scoop (which is about equal to a 1/8 measuring cup) for every 2 cups. 6 scoops for 12 cups and to me, it comes out just right. I like to taste the coffee. I had a friend years ago that made the weakest coffee I've ever seen...barely colored water!

#135016 - 12/17/07 03:15 PM Re: Coffee can directions.... [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Okay, I just measured mine and it was a HEAPING tablespoon. Remember that I said above I would test it...because I was just visualizing it, not really knowing.

My measurement is for a drip coffee-maker. Not a perk. I'll call Mom and ask her what she uses since she does the perk, but I'll guarantee you that she'll say, oh I just do a little of this...or a tad of that...she doesn't measure anything.

#135017 - 12/17/07 03:50 PM Re: Coffee can directions.... [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
And that's why we can never get accurate recipes from mothers!! I pine for my Mom's dressing and my ex-mother-in-law's Italian spaghetti sauce....both have passed on but I watched these ladies do this dozens of times but they used no measurements and I could never get the same flavor!

#135018 - 12/18/07 03:08 AM Re: Coffee can directions.... [Re: ladyjane]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have to laugh at this thread. bonnierose, I can't for the life of me, figure out how to make a good cup of coffee. I've learned I can't go by what they say on the package. I remember trying to figure out the whole 6 ounce versus 8 ounce cup of coffee.

I never drank coffee in the past, but am drinking it here and there now. I've made a couple good pots lately and I've used a tablespoon for every two cups. Does that make sense?

I wouldn't know what to do with Mom's old percolater. The times I've used it, I've asked guests to tell me how much coffee to add.

Making a pot of coffee really shouldn't be this complicated.

#135020 - 12/18/07 09:55 AM Re: Coffee can directions.... [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You can also buy premeasured disks filled with dry coffee and all you do is add water and heat.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved