The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#125507 - 08/14/07 08:43 AM Wallpapering Mama's?
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Not sure if I needed to post this here or in Homemaker, but here goes. I plan on wallpapering two upstair bedrooms...what I need to do first if remove border (only) in them and wondered if anyone had done this before and could give me any hints to the easiest approach. The borders have probably been up for about 8 years and are in good condition.
Also, I found the most awesome web site called Steve's Borders and Wallpaper and found some to die for patterns. My home was built in 1870 so I want to match the wallpaper with the period of house and so far I'm blown away with the selection...the prices choke me on some of them but I think I've found a couple I can live with. Anyway, if there are any wallpapering mama's out there I'd love to hear from you.

If anyone knows of any great wallpaper sites I'd appreciate that, too. Thanks ladies.

#125508 - 08/14/07 05:00 PM Re: Wallpapering Mama's? [Re: Dee]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Dee,

I hope the wallpaper/border you are removing has not been applied straight onto the drywall. I think wallpaper is beautiful, but it is a B**** to get off if it was applied to the drywall. What a nightmare to get off. When we bought our house, one of the first things I wanted to do was to put up new wallpaper. The kitchen was partly wallpapered and it had 3 layers of the stuff. Evidently, previous owners just wallpapered over the old stuff instead of removing it. Now I know why! The bathrooms was wallpapered like that also. No matter what I used, the paper came off the size of postage stamps. It was sooooo stuck to the drywall! If you scrap to hard, you can tear the drywall. Then you will have to patch/mud the drywall and get it all smooth again. I bought every product and gadget there was to remove it. I surfed the net for pointers. No one could offer any good advice except never to wallpaper again. I used fabric softener and hot water, hot water and vinegar, goo be gone, wall paper strippers...you name it, I tried it. None of it worked all that great for me....not even the all cussin'! I had sore arms, elbows, and wrists. Working off a ladder with my arms over my head was the worse. I did not re-wallpaper....I painted.

However, if anyone wants to wallpaper, and change it often, here is a tip. Make sure you paint your walls with a semi-gloss or glossy paint. The wallpaper will come off so much easier, leaving only the glue behind, and it can easily be washed down with a warm water solution. Do not wallpaper directly onto walls with a primer or a flat paint. That wallpaper will stick to the wall untill hell freezes over!

#125509 - 08/14/07 07:05 PM Re: Wallpapering Mama's? [Re: Cookie]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
What a fantastic tip Cookie! It's too late for some of our rooms...but for further rooms, I will follow your advice and paint the walls first.

#125510 - 08/15/07 03:32 AM Re: Wallpapering Mama's? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dee Offline

Cookie...wow...what a nightmare for you. I think that would cure me of ever wanting to wallpaper again. Fortunately, the borders were applied over semi-gloss paint so hopefully it will come off easily. I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to not being defeated by things liket his...but, that being said, I've not tried to remove any of it yet so I may change my mind.
I have always used primer over any shiny walls so the wallpaper will stick better and that's what I'll do here. I'm not one to remove wallpaper at all...I just paint over the old paper and go on. Too much work trying to strip entire walls of wallpaper off.

I'll let you know the progress of my project...and the finished result...it's either the border or me...and the wallpaper I've picked out is so beautiful and country looking. Wish me luck!!! I'm ordering it tomorrow.

#125511 - 08/16/07 06:38 AM Re: Wallpapering Mama's? [Re: Dee]
Dee Offline

Today I found out I'd mis-calculated my wallpaper rolls. I'd calculated for single verses double rolls of wallpaper...and that can be costly...I found out I'd counted the price of 8 single rolls instead of 16 single rolls which turns out to be 8 double rolls...and that's how they're shipped. What I thought was a good bargain really wasn't because of my goof, and instead of buying all the wallpaper for two rooms I decided just to buy one room at a time...finish the one room and then get the other wallpaper. And if that wasn't enough the one wallpaper pattern that is absolutely precious is being discontinued by the manufacturer and there wasn't enough rolls to buy to complete my room. Oh, well...twasn't meant to be, I guess. Tomorrow I try to figure out how to get the border off...thank goodness that's the only wall paper in the room. Here goes nothin'

#125512 - 08/16/07 01:26 PM Re: Wallpapering Mama's? [Re: Dee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dee, what is the web address for the site you were referring to? I love looking at wall paper and haven't done it in years.

I wish I could remember what we used to get the wallpaper off. They do have a steamer that you can rent. I think we've done that approach. I seem to remember coating the paper with warm water. Does that make sense?

One time we needed to get more wallpaper and the next batch should have been the same but it was made at tiddferent time and so the colors weren't as bright. IT was a nightmare. All the former paper had to come back down and we had to begin again with paper from all the same batch.

One thing I recall from my wall papering days was that when hanging it, I used a straight edge, 12 inch ruler in addition to the wallpaper brush right after I hung it. Running the ruler over the paper got the excess glue to come out the sides of the paper and really made it adnere well.

Hope this helps. It's been a long time but I've done some papering in my life so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

#125513 - 08/16/07 02:48 PM Re: Wallpapering Mama's?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I will be facing the wallpaper nightmare in the house we bought in AZ. I think I'm going to hire someone to remove it. The ceilings are very high and I'm a klutz so don't want to be on a ladder. I tore a little piece off the wall and they had put something on the walls...don't have a clue what it's called but I'm guessing it smoothed the texture of the walls to get them ready for the wallpaper. I'm wondering how difficult it will be to get that off!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#125514 - 08/16/07 05:50 PM Re: Wallpapering Mama's? [Re: Dianne]
Dee Offline

Dotsie...do a google search for STEVE'S BLINDS AND WALLPAPER
On the left side you can do a search for wallpaper by pattern #. Click on that and enter the numbers below and you can see what I've just ordered...the yellow is pattern # X4GUR7SW6 (what do you think?)
The pink is pattern # X4GU8UEE6 (so sweet and girly)
The one that is my favorite and is of course discontinued is: # X2AGSSWH (I cannot believe I can't get ahold of this pattern..sigh). Thanks for the advice and offer to help...I'll probably take you up on that.

DIANE: I've heard of folks having nightmares with removing wallpaper...I'm hoping this is going to be okay in the end. We'll see. I think I'll do a before picture and an after picture and post it so ya'll can see (that is if it turns out okay...LOL

#125515 - 08/16/07 07:39 PM Re: Wallpapering Mama's? [Re: Dee]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Do people still wallpaper nowadays. I get this impression it's painting walls...the trend.

#125516 - 08/16/07 08:10 PM Re: Wallpapering Mama's? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I think wallpaper is coming back. Our bedroom is Laura Ashley style...old fashioned, but I don't care; I love it. We have white wooden panelling the lower half, and wallpaper the upper half. The floor is ship deck wood.
The rest of the house is painted. Come to think of it, every room has it's own style. Our living room has a Tuscany flair. Our kitchen is an interesting combination of "things"...then I have my Cape Cod room, a modern room, a Bavarian room, and our offices are contemporary done in green and sand colour.
There is no style consistency in our house. I guess it's a little like me… a little bit of this and that…wishy-washy; sort of like a dinner made from leftovers, but mm-mm good.

What kind of interior do you all have?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved