The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#125042 - 08/07/07 11:32 AM Re: Helping Mom [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Alright, alright. Enough of that stuff.

I can't get over the fact that all of you were able to go while all the hubbies, grandkids and greats were taken care of. It must have been magic.

#125043 - 08/07/07 02:13 PM Re: Helping Mom
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
That's what it was...magic. But it was ALL ABOUT MOM. When you mention Mother to us, we listen.

And we all made a pack before we left that we would get along, no matter what, for her. Quite frankly, it was easy. I don't think we all understood or realized how "grown up" we are. I know one thing, I look at all four of them in a different light now. I didn't want to kill them, not one of them, not even once. We all cried when we had to leave.

Is that a hoot or what?

#125044 - 08/08/07 11:03 AM Re: Helping Mom [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Once again Dotsie your post and your prayers have touched my heart. Thank you my dear friends for all your well wishes.

What a beautiful family picture JJ. Did you all organize a dress code? Funny, I have that combination on right now…white blouse and tanned slacks. Other then the Boston accent, I could blend right in with you gals.

I've been checking out old age homes with my Mom, and we have come to the conclusion the closer the home is to me, the better. Her insurance covers a paid stay at an old age home up to 28 days/yr. Not bad. We'll be using that for her to just try it out, and just have to wait for the final paper work. She is open to trying it out, so that makes it somewhat easier for me.

JJ wrote in another post how it was to pack her Dad's things for the last time. Oh God, I dread that too, but am trying to stay strong. Knowing that so many of you have gone through this as well, truly helps me.

#125045 - 08/08/07 11:24 AM Re: Helping Mom [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Was your Mom's hubby a veteran? If so, she might be entitled to more benefits in home health care. Only 28 days A YEAR? That sounds low to me. But I've been out of the "caregiving" role for a year or so.

Mother took out the insurance that pays for you to stay in a home. Long-term care insurance. So if something happens to her, it will be paid for. Almost. I guess we should all have it because when these boomers age, the homes are going to be overflowing and the cost even higher.

Good luck Hannelore, you are in my thoughts daily.

#125046 - 08/08/07 11:39 AM Re: Helping Mom [Re: WhatStopsYou]
Jane_Carroll Offline

All my best to HL and her Mom. I know they will find the perfect place!

JJ...love the picture...didn't realize that everyone did get to go...awesome!

#125048 - 08/08/07 09:45 PM Re: Helping Mom [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hannelroe, great to see you. 28 days a year does seem low. What do you do if she has to remain there? I'm sure you've thought of that.

We jsut purchased long term care and this is the second time I've heard bad things about it since doing so. I am going back to read all the fine print, but I think we understood it correctly. I'll let you know.

#125049 - 08/09/07 03:25 AM Re: Helping Mom [Re: WhatStopsYou]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Wow JJ what a great picture. It's amazing! I can feel the emotions and magic.
What a gift to have that time with your sisters and mother. And you are all so purdy

#125050 - 08/09/07 08:18 PM Re: Helping Mom [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I love that pic, JJ! The water looks so beautiful. I'm glad all of you had such a great time.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#125051 - 08/09/07 08:48 PM Re: Helping Mom [Re: Dianne]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Hannelore, my thoughts and prayers are with you, I have been down that road sweetie. I know it is hard on us to have to place our parents in assisted living or nursing homes, but please keep in mind how hard it is on them and have a lot of love and patience. My MIL went through and extremely bad period of depression when she broke her hip and was incapacitated for quite a while. She was always very independent, "the stubborn old german woman" as we sometimes called her, did not like having to be taken care of. It really hurt her pride. It's so hard for them to accept being in that position. We're here for you and wish you the best.
Gerri

#125053 - 08/11/07 08:19 PM Re: Helping Mom [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Let's talk about this. Would you like to be cared for? I think I'm way too independent to be happy with others doing for me what I could once do for myself. This is actually one of my fears...having to be dependent on another soul for my care. How about you?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved