The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#115763 - 04/20/07 09:08 PM its happend at last lol
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
well i got ignored all night, the phone and po have been insepribale, there was lots of screeming and jumping about, bemosed but i watched anyway....she open an email and yep she has an interview....for the 25th this mounth in the london met...so po the hat has done it and she knows i am posting this and happie i do it...so be kind she is giddie at the minuet and like an exitable wee puppie and i hope her mood continues in this way and none of that horrible self doubt nonsences creeps in...

and yes i am proud and yes i alreadie know that everie thing is fine for her in the path she heading re interview and all , its alreadie sorted, good feel for this....hoping she belives it. and we onlie found out a few hours ago so i am on the boards and she on the phone

#115764 - 04/20/07 09:31 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: celtic_flame]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Wooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooo.....Ladies, I can't contain myself, I can't beleive it is so soon...I can't beleive it's happening, I can't beleive I actually posted my application in the first. I cannot beleive how much I have changed over the past few years to feel able and up for such a dramatic change of lifestyle. I cannot beleive how much I am supported....this is all real...right???
This is an amazing opportunity for a woman who was in peices not so long ago, who's life was a rollercoaster of awful ups and downs, twists and turns...that woman no longer exists!!
The real Po finally stood up to realize a long held dream...and created the opportunity for such change. I am for London on either Tuesday evening or wed morning...not sure yet. I might even see Lola.
Just pray hard for me please my freinds...by friday...we will know whether or not to break open the champers...thank you all for the encouragement over the past wee while.
Thank you my Celtic for having faith in me...I love you.

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#115765 - 04/20/07 09:46 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Poppie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
WELL DONE, PO!!! You're right on track on the way up!!!

#115766 - 04/20/07 10:31 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Lola]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Yippeee! I'm so happy for you Po. You deserve everything good. I'm thrilled and congratulations to you.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#115767 - 04/20/07 10:33 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: yonuh]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Yikes, Po, you're getting just what you want and I'm so happy for you. I missed the previous posts so please tell me what you're going to do that makes me so happy for you. Whatever it is I'm delighted you're so happy about it.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#115768 - 04/20/07 10:45 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Saundra]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am soooooo proud of you! You can only get what you want when you reach out and ask for it. And here you are!

I am so glad that you are the Po you are now! I love you dear friend and "daughter".

#115769 - 04/21/07 02:01 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Anno]
ktri Offline

Way to go. Enjoy the ride.

ktri

#115770 - 04/21/07 07:01 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: ktri]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Po, I know you'll be a first-rate jeweler! Congratulations on the interview we all have faith in you.

Poet and essayist

#115771 - 04/21/07 08:58 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: meredithbead]
Poppie Offline

Thanks ladies and 'Mom'....I have avoided getting panicy yet!!! Mer...I am already a trained sylversmyth and trained in a great many jewellry making tecniques...this degree will expand my existing skills and open the world to me as I will specialize in two or three components of the craft, ie, hand engraving, gem setting?? Who knows yet...there are so many wonderful facets to this opportunity. Right! Now I have to run and panic!!!

love to you all
Pauline
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#115772 - 04/21/07 09:31 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Poppie]
Poppie Offline

http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/forums/s...5806#Post118339

Saundra...this is where it all started

Popea

#115773 - 04/21/07 11:43 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Poppie]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Relationships come and go...but jewlery lasts forever.

Po, I'm soooooo happy for you! If you can portray your enthusiasm and love of life in your art work; you will be a hit! Just know it!

#115774 - 04/21/07 01:11 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Poppie]
Anno Offline

Love you, MOM

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#115775 - 04/21/07 04:35 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Angel a chara...that is a Mae West quote..right. She's one of my icons!!!
Celtic has been very clever today and made herself scarce..that way it cuts down the ammount of time she would have to listen to me come up with ludicrous reasons as to why I could not go through with this...lol, she is a smart one to be sure.
So, I guess that leaves my real time sister( my fav one) and all my cyber sisters...and Mom who have to here read my mildly neurotic rambling...sorry!
There I 'called it' in public...voicing it means that those type of thoughts lose their power in my head.....be gone now!!! Lol.
I am visiting my peeps tomorrow, my sis is doing dinner for us...so that will take my mind away from worrying myself into a state. I also have to see the man who first taught me when I was fifteen!! He has a box of my prized first peices which I though were sold when the workshops closed...so that is gonna be amazing and a right ole trip dowm memory lane as he is a photographer and has photo's of all our major family events from about 85 until mid 90's.
Celtic will have a hoot at those!!
If the stuff is as good as I remember...I will post some photo's on Sunday night

Gotta run for now...thanks again Ladies

Popea

#115776 - 04/24/07 09:08 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Poppie]
celtic_flame Offline

well behind me is some frantic and confused behaviour (confused due to the internal panic) yep pos geting readie for leaving in about two minuets....
the interviews tommorow portoflio droped off in am interview in afternoon.

she getting a late flight back tommorow night which gives her and lola time to meet up hopefullie. I know she looking forwared to that.

i looking forwared to it all being over and for her return....the house has been diffrent thes last few days or sinces she found out about the interview lol a lot of nerves.

i know you be whishing her well when she going throw this ....i got the job of up datting she too bisie panicing and readieing to leave lol...

i am looking forwared to some relaxed quite time shhhh lol

#115777 - 04/24/07 09:22 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

just in case you wonderring what i am doing on comp when things are this hecktic, well to tell the truth i am hiding lol....

she gown now so i can go do dishes or pick up the mess lol. but all together now pheeewwwww!!

#115778 - 04/24/07 09:54 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I can't wait to hear more upon her return home. What fun.

#115779 - 04/24/07 11:19 AM Re: its happend at last lol
Poppie Offline

What mess...you wee scally Celtic!!! I'm at Belfast International now....a wee bit of time to boarding to pass..and I though were better to hang out but with my big sisters in B.W.S....Yes, I confess to being in a panic, but there would be something wrong if I wasn't...eh!!!
Celtic...you are a star and I love you dearly(

#115780 - 04/24/07 11:56 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Poppie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Po, what a surprise to log on this morn and see all of this! WOW! You rock, girl! This is so exciting, you being interviewed and at the same time, meeting Lola. Double joys, if you ask me. We'll all be watching this thread to see when you return and get the "low down." Got our fingers crossed for you. Break a leg! (That's a good luck saying over here)...JJ

#115781 - 04/24/07 01:19 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: jawjaw]
celtic_flame Offline

you sneek.....you wernt ment to be back on line till tommorow lol...

now wears the mess lets see lol...

#115782 - 04/24/07 01:27 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: celtic_flame]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
So happy for you Po! Don't let any negative thoughts get into your head! You can do this and I know you will be a huge success at it!
Can't wait to see those photos.

#115783 - 04/24/07 05:14 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: TVC15]
chickadee Offline

Po, you are on your way! Enjoy the journey and hug Lola for us.

#115784 - 04/25/07 10:31 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: chickadee]
Poppie Offline

I got in to thee most esteemed uni gals and Mom-I'blooming' did it! Still on my way home, I am posting from my phone and very tired. I will pop in 2morrow and chat in details. Thanks all 4 the support. Popea ps, our own Lola is a darling 2 be sure. xx

#115785 - 04/25/07 11:00 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Poppie]
TVC15 Offline

Can't wait to hear the details tomorrow!
That is so neat that you got to meet with Lola!

#115786 - 04/25/07 11:30 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: TVC15]
Anno Offline

Of course, you made it in. No one ever doubted it, did you ?

And, I would expect no less from Lola. Lola, what did you think?

#115787 - 04/26/07 12:52 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Anno]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Yippeee!!!! Congrats!

#115788 - 04/26/07 03:08 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
ktri Offline

Awesome, Po. I'm all smiley and teary for you.

ktri

#115789 - 04/26/07 07:45 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: ktri]
celtic_flame Offline

probiblie the onlie one that doubted it was po....despite the evidances lol...

i hear lola is a wee darline, you probiblie know that from reading on the forums....now po swears she is....
i saw photos i saw photos i saw photos laaa la laaa la lol. Lola looks 40 if she luckie and gorgise, seriouslie ...
and thanks for the chocolates...

they phones and lucien was in the bath so i phoned back and lola got to spek to the wee man he said hi and told heer he had a bubblebath then asked her for a biscuite, hopeing she would tell me to give him one lol...i am a bad phone talker but i try i get too nerviouse but still i chatt and lola understands my accent lol...ya gotta be proud of her for that ...

po got in about 1.30 the aroplane was late she having a lie in, ya think she deserves that eh???

#115790 - 04/26/07 09:28 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

bit more time child at school my and i am watting for my hair couler to develop..

she went with a little art and some jewlarie. One pice she made when she was 17, technikallie brilliant a built up 3 dimensional cottage house about 2 cm high by 1 cm across and 2 cm wide, with windows and doors and chimnie etc....and she made that when she was so young lol....

other pices of jewlarie much simplear desine but showing all the silversmithing skills and stone setting she ever need as a jewlare....(and working with diffrent metails like tatanium) etc...

we gotta rember she been at this universitie before (one of the best in europe)and made the grade then as she did now....and this is a steap up for her in terms of desine and updatted skills...and gives her a chances to become an expert in things like hand engraving or gem setting...theirs a big gapp in the market heer for those types of skills as theirs no experts and everie one has to send work to be done away from ireland

so good for her-self worth and a good bussiness move.

so it seems po the onlie one with doubt in herself lol...and she can still hardlie belive it, its verie sweet...

#115791 - 04/26/07 11:55 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: celtic_flame]
TVC15 Offline

Thanks for the update Celtic. I take it Lucien didn't get that bisquit? LOL

#115792 - 04/26/07 03:15 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: TVC15]
Edelweiss Offline

I knew Po would make it! Congratulations Chara!!!!

#115793 - 04/26/07 03:36 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: TVC15]
Poppie Offline

Hey My Boomer Sisters.....wow, wow, wow...I am still ten ft off the ground with this turn of events. My interveiw lasted 12 mins to be exact...whilst the other two candidates who were there with me and up before me took 25-35 mins each!!! I was in such a state...but spent my time reassuring the other two wee lasses who were just over twenty years old! Then I was all alone and waiting !!! When I was called, something amazing happened....I went into a completely calm place of self-assured direction...it wasn't haughty, but more about how I was deserving of a place as the next and I was gonna impart this wisdom for sure!!
They asked me about my history, training and previous experience...why that particular course and University amd what I could bring as well as gain from if I was offered one of 46 places( nearly three hundred applicants this year!!!throuought Europe!!) .

I set about the task of explaining what the wanted to know and was open and honest about my expertice and lack of it in other areas, ie art and scketching tecniques. I layed my ideas on the table...with the cultural change and history in Ireland being of great interest to them.
They then asked me if I wanted to ask any questions...and only one came to mind and tumbled out of my gob!!!!

'Am I in over my head here? Did I bite off more tha....etc'
they both answered 'No'...then sent me outside to wait for a further 'lifetime'!!
When they brought me back in...I was sure I was gonna be declined. Ruth, the course Head of Dep started to say stuffed based on my scanty design portfilio(my words)...the other guy interupted and said that what drew him in was my prescence and passion...how I presented myself and my ideas..and how I craved the 'pulling assunder' of my boundaries concerning my already existing skills and ideas. Ruth interjected then and told me that the course was perfect for someone like me and that she was looking forward to watching me grow, explore and expand my world in accordance with what I already know and what I will be learning.

I jumped up and punched the air...even did a wee victory dance too!!!

I have not come down yet!

Meeting Lola was like the icing on the cake for sure! We went for something to eat(Lola insisted that I must be fed before my long journey home!!)...we chatted about so much..all crammed into three hours. It was just like catching up with a beloved freind who you had not seen in a while, she was a wee jem and made me feel at my ease straight away( sorta mommying me too!!which I indulged in! !).
We chatted so much that I nearly missed my link train for the airport!!! I love her to bits though....our wee Celtic is miffed that she didn't get to meet her too...but we did the phone thing!!

So, I am home now..and My Celtic is being a sweet one indeed...I can see her pride written all over her and it fills me with soft tears(oh here I go welling up again!) .

Again....thanks everyone for the concern, support and beleiving in me(and for those that did not na, na nan naaa na! I jest )

Love you all

Popea

#115794 - 04/26/07 06:04 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Poppie]
Edelweiss Offline

"Jumped up and punched the air!"
Woooeee!
So what's next on the itinerary?

#115795 - 04/26/07 08:13 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: Edelweiss]
TVC15 Offline

I'm so proud of you Po!

#115796 - 04/27/07 02:27 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: TVC15]
yonuh Offline

Po, congratulations to you - but we all knew you would get in! So when do you start? What's next?

#115797 - 04/27/07 03:44 AM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: yonuh]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Po, I knew you'd get it! Congratulations to a fantastically talented artist!

Poet and essayist

#115798 - 04/27/07 08:19 PM Re: its happend at last lol [Re: meredithbead]
chickadee Offline

#115799 - 05/31/07 08:45 PM Re: update on University [Re: chickadee]
Poppie Offline

Hi Ladies....just now when I have a wee moment..I thought I would take Dotsies advice and update on all the goings on here in Belfast...pre London in September.

One of the things that my new Tutor was realy buzzed about was one of my main themes..which is the transformational change in the 'Cutural landscape of Ireland'.

In my efforts to gain information to fit my ideas for a daily visual diary....I had to get meetings set up with various sides of the 'devide'.....another great passion and part of my spiritual life is tied with Ballycastle...where I have worked for 25 odd years as a vol...and is the home of the seventh wonder of the world...'The Giants Causeway'

One of my main peices of art work in progress is a version of 'The Causeway'....only I am using plastic/rubber bullets to create a three d image of it...play on the words, ie...'The Cause'...a quick way for explaining what has been going on in Northern Ireland for 30 odd years...yes, it is quite a stark image of our past, but one I feel strongly enough to produce. I have chatted with 'The relatives for justice' who want to comission the peice(that's there main area of contention as nineteen died(including nine children) as a result of the bullets which were not meant to mame or kill!!!The images I have obtained are harsh...but so was the use of such weapons.

My second peice is more optimistic...It involves another play on words...'evoloution...devoloution 1916-2007' In this I have a photo of an old mangle, with a political figure(not chosen yet) churning sheets of 'propoganda' from the dates just mentioned...all past and strident imagery from then until now...working on hope for the future.

My third peice was more difficult to get my head around as it was neccesarry for me to find imagery that would reflect the protestant lifestyles/identity in a positive light!!! Every one I spoke to(protestants included) could not tell...or point me in the direction of such a request and it became apparent that it is because an identity does not exist....yet!!!

So my formative idea is to use the gestation period of a child in it's moms womb...and work on the 'culture and identity' being re-born or newly born into a new and aspiring way of life. This is where I start to learn from the outside in re jewellry and design( as I already possess many tec skills in the craft)

So, these are the things I have been working on from my interview. I have been seeking out bullets, taking photos...noting down processes. Putting together a course for a community project in my home town which I will teach..(if I get the time!!)I also need to become a photoshop wiz!!!!(help)
I hope it makes some sense to ya'll

Much Love

Popea

#115800 - 05/31/07 09:17 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Edelweiss Offline

Po, it's so good to hear from you.

You've taken up some very challenging projects. I can see why you don't have much time to spare. I wish you all the luck in the world, and that your art receives the recognition it deserves.

Quote:

Through all the world there goes one long cry from the heart of the artist: Give me leave to do my utmost.
Isak Dineson, 'Babette's Feast'

Celtic must be very busy too. Miss you gals…but then it's summer and time is more filled then in the winter months.

#115801 - 05/31/07 10:22 PM Re: update on University [Re: Edelweiss]
Jane_Carroll Offline

WOW! Po! I'm impressed. I know you're having fun being so creative! We miss you.

#115802 - 05/31/07 10:29 PM Re: update on University [Re: Edelweiss]
Poppie Offline

Hey Angal a chara, Yeah...I have missed being about so many of all my big sisters
Have you an idea of what I am trying to do? They are all great undertakings and stuff like this should be docummented for hystsorical purposes...and from the fact that I am female.

I will be in a little over the weekend to see if I can get some positive or negative feedbach...just a wee feel. Need all your feedback.....plz

Popea

#115803 - 06/01/07 01:49 AM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Po, wow, what an undertaking. I'm a little confused so help me out. Are you working on this from home at this point? Is there a time when you have to go away to study?

I am so grateful the interviewers were awakened to your passion. It makes all the difference in the world.

Tell us more!

Oh, my son is pretty good at photoshop. Let me know if yo have any questions for him and I'l pass them on.

#115804 - 06/01/07 02:09 AM Re: update on University
Anno Offline

Whoa, girl! You wore me out just reading about how hard you are working! Sit down and take a breather, just once in a while.

I would love to see pictures....

Your works sound very interesting. The one with the bullets - I need to look up the story behind this. From what you describe, it sounds like a very emotional piece.

You are living your dream, Po. And you deserve this dream come true.

#115805 - 06/01/07 05:30 AM Re: update on University [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Hi Jane, Dots Angel a chara and Mom,

I am working from home until september when I leave for the first one or two simesters on my own...Celtic and L will follow after all being well.
With the nature and size of the three peices mentioned, they will take as long as they will take, what can't be fitted into today..etc. The main group I saught advice and information about the bullets have 'remembering quilts' which cover the death of two thousand people and more..they are on their tenth quilt as I write...they are awsome peices of art works in their own right. I want to do something with them also and Celt helped me come up with the idea of placing them on the steps of 'Stormount'...with all our political leaders walking over them(another photoshop job)... I would paint the ghosts of the people from the quilts entering Stormount first as their deaths(murders) helped pave the way to what we have in place today.
The ideas are comming thick and fast and I need to get more down on paper...all of which at the moment revolve around 'cultural change in Ireland'.

Dots...Photoshop is the wee program I need to know some tricks about in order to pull all these peices together, I have a guide(the full comprehensive one from the shops which is tooo difficult)...but I NEED AN IDIOTS GUIDE!!! Does he have one of them?

Mom, they are emotive peices.....but I already knew that this is what I was drawn to...I feel that it is so important to document these things from all angles possible, and that women should be at the fore in alot of it being touched on.

I don't want to be deemed as an artist who falls into one particular political camp...so it is important to me to cover all bases regardless of my own experiences.

The quicker I get to grips with photoshop, the faster I will produce some of the art mentioned.

Thanks for the input...more feed back is more than welcome

Popea

#115806 - 06/01/07 06:05 AM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
chickadee Offline

Wow, I am impressed with your ideas, Po. I can't wait to see your work.

#115807 - 06/06/07 06:33 AM Re: update on University [Re: chickadee]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Po, I felt of sense of history reading about your projects. Your art sounds so phenomenal, coming from your heart and spanning the political, cultural, and physical landscapes. I know you'll pull it together, and I can say, "I knew her when "

Photoshop is a wee step (can non-Irish use that word? LOL) that you will easily climb. I'm imagining you flowing up the steps right now, and the road has no obstacles.

Poet and essayist

#115808 - 06/07/07 09:18 AM Re: update on University [Re: meredithbead]
Poppie Offline

Sorry The Photo is so big...but this was the first ever peice(on a grand scale) that put me on the map way back in 85'... It is a show peice 'built up ring' calle 'Marconi's Cottage'...showing about 300 skills. I will tell you the story later.
Mer...course you can use any Irishisms, thank you for your encouraging words my freind

Popea

#115809 - 06/13/07 01:42 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Po, this is so unique. What do you mean when you say, showing 300 skills? I am waiting on your story. YOu made that? Please tell us how!

#115810 - 06/13/07 01:48 PM Re: update on University
Jane_Carroll Offline

Po...that's amazing! You have a true talent!!!

#115811 - 06/28/07 11:37 PM Re: update on University [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Where are Po and Celtic?

#115812 - 07/01/07 06:10 AM Re: update on University
Poppie Offline

Dots, I just pmed you. I have been in hospital with asthma, pnuemonia and a staph bug....I only got out yesterday. I am on the mend, but taking it nice and gently.

Celtic has been moving house and her internet won't be connected until the 4th of July.

Now that I am starting to get well again...I will be working very hard on my visual diary....come hell or high waters, I will be in London by the First/second week in sept.

I will keep you all posted

Warm thoughts

Popea

#115813 - 07/07/07 12:23 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Po, I never got your PM. That's odd. I've been receiving others. I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend.

Okay, it's after the 4th. The internet should be up and running. Where are you gals?

How is Lucien doing with all these changes?

Do you know when Anno gets back?

#115814 - 07/08/07 06:09 PM Re: update on University
Poppie Offline

Oh sorry, not quite up and running with the net yet-I got my dates wrong, it's the tenth! So I am posting from my bed on the phone. I had to call the doc again yesterday as I got very poorly again through the night! All the family send their love. See ya'll soon. Love to all. P

#115815 - 07/08/07 06:15 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Love right back at ya!!!!! Feel better soon.

#115816 - 07/11/07 11:04 PM Re: update on University [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Poppie Offline

Hey Ladies...I have started to write the story of the built up ring shown in the photo further up. I will be posting it as promised within the next two days

Popea

#115817 - 07/12/07 12:47 AM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Edelweiss Offline

WOW!!!! Alice in Wonderland's house right on your finger! What a gifted artist you are. And what a conversation piece you created.

#115818 - 07/12/07 12:20 PM Re: update on University [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Po, thanks for posting this picture. I just saw it today. It is a beautiful piece of art. I can't wait to hear more about the story.

Please take care of yourself. Take it easy and keep healthy.
Love ya.

#115819 - 07/12/07 03:16 PM Re: update on University [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Marconi’s Cottage

I had not long turned sixteen and was to follow in the footsteps of my older sisters and brother and go to a ‘youth training program’. I had left school reluctantly, but under extreme pressure from the Head Nun, she was abusive and I could not withstand it no more. I joined the Y.T.P and went straight into the jewellery section. My older sister Sharon was already in the most esteemed Uni for Jewellery and silversmith in the grand metropolis of London. We were little country gals who had rarely been out of our home town!!
I was trained like everyone else who started at the same time as me, but very soon showed a better aptitude than most for the craft of making silver jewellery. Jim, my tutor at the time was grooming me for London also, yet I never thought I would be good enough, or equal to those who had gone before me. I had already completed a collection of pieces all researched and with individual narratives for my up and coming interview and my biggest test was already starting. One singular built up piece of jewellery, I chose a built up ring, namely Marconis’ Cottage…the place of my spiritual home in Ballycastle N.I, just shy of where Corrymeela nestles and where I had also just started to volunteer in the summer their.
Work began for this piece in early Feb of 85, I had to demonstrate my understanding of the intricacies of the piece by drawing it from all perspectives, then getting the scale and measurements of all the many separate pieces of this ring perfect…otherwise the project would definitely fail.
I began piercing out the first bit, the central band ring with my stomach in my throat..Each stroke of the blade on silver…my belly lurched. I became oblivious to the work and people around me and became totally absorbed in my own piece…only breaking from it occasionally to assist a new trainee or someone else in need of some instruction. At that time, I was not aware that I was pretty much running the jewellery section by myself! So first band pierced soldered and shaped.
The next three pieces filled me with dread as I had to pierce the both sides of the ring and the piece that ran over the curved top..so that I could further build on top ‘the cottage’…so far so good!

Next, the walls of the house, which had to be pierced out in one flat piece of silver..scored and bent, all the little holes drilled where the doors and windows would be placed and then soldered to fit the top of the ring. Each of the soldering processes were delicate and tentative times as each time I put great heat in the piece..it always had the potential of collapsing and always meant that I would be in for a hell of a time polishing..if I ever made it to the last. Every step of the way, my heart was in my mouth as the silver I was using was quite sparse on the ground and considered to be very precious…there was just no room for error of any description…and possible hazards were a plenty.
The walls were now ready to be attached and I was still able to use my bench held gas torch to solder on this huge lump of silver to the top of the ring…with baited breath I endeavoured to proceed!!! Success!! All through each process, I had to leave the work in a solution for hours…some times days before I could proceed to the next level, and during these times I was making and selling jewellery to raise money for my first trip to London. I was also piercing and preparing the tiny windows, doors and chimney in readiness for the next stage.
That day came…and not out of time as I was going out of my head in case I would run out of time…..I managed to get all the little details on, i.e. doors and such, just before we broke off for Easter holidays. I was not a happy camper to say the least.

Upon return…I was straight back to my piece with only two more pieces to be pierced, filled and soldered…the roof and the tiny chimney! The roof went on like a dream! I was happy, my tutor was happy….but everyone in all of the other sections knew about the big finale…the little chimney. For this last little piece…I needed to use the blow torch gun….just for on tiddley little bit of silver!!! I would surely mess this one up.
As there was going to be so much heat and strain o the whole piece…it had to be bound in wire..and as tight as a nut. Our section filled to see the rings soldering process completed…I was shaking with all the attention and my own internal fears.
Jim lit the torch for me..I slid my goggles over my eyes and listened carefully to his instruction. Heat all of the ring in an even and circular manner, hold a tiny blade in the other hand in case the solder would run in the wrong direction and I needed to pull it back….and on I went, shaking like a leaf! Everything was going accordingly…you could hear the grass grow but for the noise of the torch….I slowly heated and waited for the solder to run the way it needed to….but it run the opposite direction..and as I tried to pull it back…the chimney slid down the side of the roof. I took the heat away..big mistake!!! It stuck to the roof!!! I ran to the ladies loo totally heartbroken, inconsolable and distraught that all the work and time had been for nothing!

When I could show my face and take the short walk back to my section workshop
no-one looked up at me in the hall…our section was empty bar Jim, my tutor. He reassured me that all was not lost and that we had options for fixing this ‘minor mess’…..he let me work them out for myself and I chose to file the chimney off and go at it again..only this time alone, So I set about making one more tiny little chimney, smoothed the area and put it though its paces again and it worked!!!. I did it… my screaming with sheer delight as relief alerted all the other sections, who came running to join me joined me in my celebrations! Now I could relax a little, but only a little as the built up ring needed a lot more of my attention, it needed nearly four weeks of fine filing, stoning
( rubbing vigorously with a series wet water of Ayre stones) to remove all of the fire stain which had built up due to all the many soldering needed to put it all together, rubbing down with various grades of sand paper…and then finally to the large polishing machine with a hard polish and a soft rouge polish which would buff it up and show of it’s true brilliance.

Day after day, I would devote my attention to these processes and leave the workshop with blackened hands and face happy as get out. On the last day of polishing, Jim cleared the section of other trainees and when I had completed my work and was happy enough to present it to him for inspection, he beamed with delight. He told me there was just one more thing I needed to do, which was to go to the centres shop and find a piece of work similar to mine and bring it to him. This I did with great speed and when I found what I thought he wanted… I stared at the piece and I started to see many mistakes and I was praying that he was not going to equal mine with ‘that piece of tat’. I presented this other piece to him and he asked me what I thought of it…I wasn’t behind the door when I was pointing out its many errors…I held the two together and marvelled at my work. He then informed me that the other piece from the shop was indeed the work of my sister Sharon…who I though I could never better!! Jim sent me on another errand, so when I returned to our section…it was filled with my peers and staff who all cheered me on…my ring lay on the work bench on a piece of red satin and winked at me. Two weeks later I was presenting this piece as part of my range at my interview. Having got though my interview and into my desired course I came home to a wee blaze of glory. Shortly after that local and national newspapers had me on the front of their covers dubbed as ‘The Girl with the Golden Future’…..holding with great pride ‘Marconis Cottage’
For many years I thought that the ring had been lost, until recently when I decided to apply for a specialist degree back at the same Uni. When I phoned Jim for a reference, he bade me down to my home town to pick up a box of jewellery which he had kept safe all these years and it was mine. Much to my absolute delight, ‘Marconis’ Cottage’ was with the array. The rest is history about to be made as I will return from London’s Uni having completed my degree and be the only Jewellery Designer in Ireland.
The ring is priceless to me and has not been out of my sight since I got it back….it is still the bench mark of excellence to which I will hold myself in all my future creations.

Popea

#115820 - 07/12/07 03:28 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Poppie Offline

Now I have narrowed down this wee gem of a story, because if I were to tell you all the processes and their processes...I could fill a book!!

ps...I was Seventeen when I completed the ring

Po

#115821 - 07/12/07 03:58 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Mountain Ash Offline

Po
your story lifted my heart...as you know I am keen to learn your craft.Family circumstances stopped me this year from the course.
Methinks there is a parreral story about your life.
Mountain ash

#115822 - 07/12/07 04:05 PM Re: update on University [Re: Mountain Ash]
Edelweiss Offline

Now this is really art, where every stroke every move and cut has to be correct, there is no going back; unlike my oil paintings that seem to grow into 3d because I paint over them so often. Even water colors can be corrected if you do it immediately.

So hats off to you Artist. I enjoyed reading how you set yourself up for this, and did it…beautifully step by step.

Me thinks you are on something there, Mountain Ash.

#115823 - 07/12/07 05:37 PM Re: update on University [Re: Edelweiss]
Poppie Offline

Mountain, I have not forgotten your jewellry hopes...and I am still happy to further your wee dreams of learning in any way....Gosh, maybye you will even find a course at 'he Cass'in London!!! Now that would be something! Just gimmi a shout if you need anything

Popea

#115824 - 07/14/07 05:12 AM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

What a beautiful story, Po! Although I've never made anything even close to that, I was aware of some of the problems you might have encountered. I read each step of the story with a clear picture of the process and cheered with everyone else when it was done!

Everything in the universe has its time. This is yours.

Poet and essayist

#115825 - 07/15/07 02:37 AM Re: update on University [Re: meredithbead]
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
PO, that is a great story! People look at art and think "Oh, I could do that!" NOT! It's called "art WORK." Although there are moments of bliss, when all else in the world falls away as you work at your craft, it is indeed work to get to the final finished product. Your story shows the true creative process and hard work and determination. You also have a champion for your artist in "Jim." I logged on and read this story, and now I must go, but I will be back! L, PL

#115826 - 09/22/07 10:59 AM Re: update on University [Re: Princess Lenora]
Poppie Offline

Hiya, just thought I would pop in to tell ya'll that I have arrived safely in London. Heading 2 my new abode just now. I will be back soon when some settling has been done. love to all who have been so encouraging as I follow this dream journey. Poppie (formally known as popea!)

#115827 - 09/22/07 03:07 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Hey PO!!! Good to hear from you!! How are Celtic and the wee one? Please keep us posted on your new adventure.

Kathy

#115828 - 09/22/07 08:48 PM Re: update on University [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Po, thansk for filling us in our your journey. Are you living on campus at the university. How fun to be able to go away to school at your age.

#115829 - 09/24/07 05:34 PM Re: update on University
Poppie Offline

Wow....wow......wow....I am in seventh heaven!!! It is al pretty surreal and I don't think that I have fully accepted that I am realy doing this. I got my first term details....design and make...YIPEE.

My halls ladies are boomers bar one who is quite young, they are all fab. It is so cool to be chatting with likeminded peeps...swap ideas....big ourselves up realy!! I was soooo scared about the student halls(beimg a mature student!)..Celtic has been so reassuring and reminds me that everyone will be experiencing a version of what I am experiencing.

I miss both of them terribly, but know that time will aid this adjustment. I have to keep my eye on the bigger picture......which is an awsome one to boot.

I haven't got my own computer and connection yet, so it will be a short while 'till I get supplied from the university.

The support is outstanding from all aspects....so I will be fine.
I will keep you all posted.

Love to all.

Popea

#115830 - 09/25/07 01:32 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Po, you sound tickled to be there. Can you fill us in on exactly what you will be learning? And, is your stay for 15 weeks? Will you get to see your family during that time at all? Maybe Celtic can make a tape of Lucien for you like she did for Anne.

#115831 - 09/26/07 10:10 PM Re: update on University
Poppie Offline

Totally blown out of the water Dots-tickled is an understatement-I just can't get my head round the magnitude of it all. Opportunity at every turn-still waiting for someone to catch me on and call me a fraud-which I am most definitly not. Wow-this is me stripped down to the bare bone, it will be facinating to see what unfolds when my derived boundaries are exploited and explored. love to all Poppie

#115832 - 10/10/07 12:53 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Poppie Offline

Hello Ladies, well now...ain't life just fine and dandy .

Yesterday, I started on my first peice of jewellry, a single stone ring!!! Doesn't seem like a lot....but, when I sat at my workbench, saw in hand, silver in the other....oh boy, oh boy !
The breif is to take a stone of your preference, choose whatever metal you want and design , make this first peice using a range of four different stone setting types. Unlike many of my peers, I could have produced something nifty in an hour(we have 12hrs in total, and a wee bit of free time for workshop space) .

So, instead of throwing something together...just for marks and assesment, I set about designing something a wee bit more intricate...I need to be challenging myself and my tutors...or whats the bloomin' point ?
I have made a proto out of base metal...and found myself helping my group with different things(that was refreshing my skills too).
It was awsome, once I had silver in hand....my feet touched the ground...I am home!!!
I can't tell you much of the design because it is a very special peice for Celtic on our first wedding anniversary in Feb(it will be in for assesment along with all my other stuff till after Christmas anyway)

So, all our introductory stuff is out of the way and the real excitement and creativity starts here....it's heady, heavenly and just what I have been waiting for, for such a long time.
Dots, Celtic may be over for a visit before the Hols.we are trying to work out what time is best. She sends her love to all, her comp has been down for a long time...I think it is better now and she will be popping in soon.

I am installing my cam this aft so thatI can speak to her and Lucien realtime.

I will be keeping you all posted, I do miss the neighborhood and hanging out as muh as I used to .

Love to all for now

Poppie

#115833 - 10/10/07 08:56 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

What a great update! What say you do this once a week? Or at least every other week? Can do? We love hearing about your life adventure, Poppie...and we also send our love to you and yours. God's speed!

#115834 - 10/12/07 01:15 PM Re: update on University [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Poppie, sounds like you are working within your passion and when you do that, life is GRAND! How neat that your first piece is for Celtic. I can't wait to see pictues of your work. The one piece you shared with us was so unique. I'd never seen anything like it here in the states. Maybe we boomer women who are state-side can sell your creations for you!

#115835 - 10/20/07 03:12 PM Re: update on University
Poppie Offline

Hey Ladies,

Another wee update.

Dotsie, I have just finished listening to your radio inerveiw via the link you posted....what a treat to get to hear how committed and passionate you are about your vision. I love how you link your faith in what you do.
Re selling my stuff state-side...oh yes please. When I become a little more established we can get that up and running.
'Marconi's Cottage' is a legend now...I keep running into tutors, tecnicians who were here (85/86) and the likes who are keen to hear how I came full circle to be back at 'The Cass' again.
I have been deposited all over the Uni to speak with other classes form undergrad to MA,about what I have already done and what my dreams are for the future.
The last week has been great...one of next weeks projects is to make a map using mixed media to demonstrate how I came to be back here in London....so some of my research has been based on some of my old posts in the forums(just had a wee trip down memory lane)...I have been sitting here reading back over my personal journey in boomerland....wow!!!!How much history already?? How much support from all concerned in here and elswhere??? How amazing is this site??

It has only been one month of teaching and I have learned so much. I am so very fortunate to have this chance at living my dream for sure. (Oh gush, gush gush)

As much as I thank god for my experiences, again I thank all who have supported me from the time I joined up with boomers.

Much Love and thanks

Poppie

#115836 - 10/20/07 04:19 PM Re: update on University [Re: Poppie]
Mountain Ash Offline

How theraputic to revisit your journey.A bit like walking the labryinth.So take good care of your emotions.
Mountain ash

#115837 - 10/21/07 02:29 PM Re: update on University [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anno Offline

Gosh, it's amazing what you have already accomplished. I look forward to the day when I can say "Isn't this beautiful? It's a Poppie original!"

#115838 - 11/03/07 12:14 PM Re: new update on University! [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Hello Ladies, another quick update on how things are going in Unay.

I am half way through our first breif which was to take one food stuff, on muliple food stuff...draw, and design ten containers to hold one or all food stuffs. One could draw upon the asthetics of the food stuff(which was eggs in our group of three peeps)

The object ended up being a 'shard bowl' made by me from plaster and acrylic...laqured and spraypainted with eggshell silk paint.

We(I) played with resin to create an optical illusion of a whole egg and yolk running up the side of the 'bowl'....I hated the whole concept but loved getting to work in many diciplines to create the final peice...(which looked fab)

To follow on from that..our new breif which is contained within 'the eat project'..is to make another container from a metal of our choosing(but must relate in some way to the 'egg bowl' concept!!! I hate the concept as I was railroaded into doing by a younger member of our group..she has a fixation with eggs and birds!!
So, I am doing a 'pandoras box' whick will look like a small casket...the lid will be delicately peirced so that one can possibly imagine what the first shelf will contain(anything small which I can make to represent femininity). The bottom of the casket will reveal a wooden vinere polished look..with(hand made) broken shackles set in clear resin.

It is a powerful peice and runs in sinc with my link to the shifting cultural lanscape in Ireland. The casket which will be displayed in a gallery space in late January will have lots of little keys to open(or not) placed randomly beside it.

Lots to do concerning the making process...but so far I am really happy with my idea...the link with the egg bowl is the 'fragility of the feminine...and how we always have to concern ourselves with breaking the chains of mysogony and encarceration'(in its broadest sence).

I hope you can follow my excitement with this and I hope I am narrating clearly what I am doing.

I am also sure thst the idea will evolve through the making process..
I love telling you guys how it is all comming together and hope I am not bieng to over indulgent!!

More later

Big Loves
Poppie

#115839 - 11/03/07 03:22 PM Re: new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
Anno Offline

Over indulge all you want, Poppie. We love keeping up with you and your latest masterpieces.

#115840 - 11/07/07 12:03 AM Re: new update on University! [Re: Anno]
celtic_flame Offline

yea nice to know what your making. painting a clear picture their po.

#115841 - 11/10/07 04:21 PM Re: new update on University! [Re: celtic_flame]
Poppie Offline

Well Ladies, it's saturay afternoon..and to cheer myself up from missing Celtic and the baby...I thought I would update on my progress so far. One trinket case in the making...I am using a pocess called 'scoring and bending' which means that I won't have to solder five peices together singularly. When the metal was scored sufficiently( a blomin' lengthy laborious task...I could peirce into the four corners and bed , break off the excess metal in my hand..then bend the box up to its shape...I was shaking as the proces is so delicate that any peice if bent to fast or rough could snap off...whaich would mean disaster and no sleek box shape anymore!!! I did it and it looks great so far. I now have to peirce off two cm's of the top of my box for the lid, so that it will be a perfect fit.

Then I will make a little shelf out of highly polished aluminium. So, you will be able to see something of what that shelf contains and something of what is obscure beneath..so far so good.but time is ticking on...so a couple of late nights in wokshops is called for.

If anyone can thing of another way of representing 'the breaking of societal constraints of the feminine'..feel free to post..if you have a stronger more powerful concept..I would gladly incorperate it and ad your name to it when it comes to exibiting.

Poppie

#115842 - 11/21/07 10:07 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
Poppie Offline

I was thinking of auctioning this peice to the highest bidder for a charitable cause..seeing as it i so near to Christmas...ANY THOUGHTS?

Poppie

#115843 - 11/21/07 10:49 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
yonuh Offline

I think that's a great idea, Poppie, and a beautiful piece!!

#115844 - 11/21/07 11:07 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
Anno Offline

My gosh, Poppie, this is beautiful. What a wonderful way to celebrate the holidays than to auction this off for a good cause.

I am hoping and dreaming that you, Celtic and Lucien will be happily together for a bit of a while over the holidays.

#115845 - 11/21/07 11:18 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Wow...how beautiful! Where do you auction it? And while we're talking, any word on your friend?

#115846 - 11/22/07 02:52 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: jawjaw]
celtic_flame Offline

trulie trulie lovlie po,
did you aske if you could action it heer, how is that gonna be done practicallie.
what charitie are you giving the cash too, i aint pleadjing a pennie untill i know which you have decided upon. lol its not the lucien c -e christmass toy appeal is it lol. I couldn't resist that, anyway all toys are in the cubord alreadie, afterall i work for santa part time ya know or he know lol.

can i critiseis one thing your photographie needs improving, its lovlie and i can work out how its done tecnicallie but your not showing that pice off to its full advantige, its hard to see its a tri-band at the back, and what the front view would be on a finger becouse one can see the back of the ring at the same time. velvet or satine gloves if you can't find anyone with good hands to model it. its also a massife photo a dint might show up on photo that wouldn't be seen with normale sized photo's. plz take the critisisum of it as just off the photos and not the ring or your work.

what do you ladies think of the ring and auctioning idea?.

#115847 - 11/22/07 08:14 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: celtic_flame]
Edelweiss Offline

Good tips Celtic. I would want to see a ring on a finger before I decide. I love the setting, Po. I find this kind of work amazing. Good luck in your auction!

#115848 - 11/22/07 09:06 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Edelweiss]
Poppie Offline

Thank ya'll for the comments, JJ what if I auctioned it on the forums? Would that be permissable? It certainly would be fun.
Celtic, sorry about the scale of the photo's..I dunno how to scale them down...as for finding a nice hand....well, lets say when I finished polishing the peice...I did go in search of a nice hand...and the hands of hard working jewellers and silversmiths are not pretty after a long day of grafting..good suggestion with the gloved hand though..I will see if I can get that sorted.

The photos do obscure soldering glitches on the back of the triband shank(my tutors doiing it there way and not the way I was previously taught...not mine)...but as an auctioned early 'Poppie' peice, that is fair enough.

I think I would obviously choose an autism charity on this occaision.

As for Roisin, she has been in touch via txt and the family are down with some sorta gastric bug, Roisin herself has lost her voice...I hope to speak with her this weekend...

Please chip in about the auction in the forms and whether it is permisable or not.

Big Loves
Poppie

#115849 - 11/25/07 07:20 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Poppie, I can't answer the question about -- can you auction it here? -- because I think only NABBW members can do something like that, but better ask Dotsie.

As far as the pics: I agree with what's been said. You have way too much blank background which triples the picture size and doesn't add anything to the presentation of ring. I don't know how you store your photos on your computer or what editing program you use, but you need to CROP.

The ring is truly lovely. Before you auction it wherever, though, you need to post this info:
ring size
a bit about the process
metal
stone -- what? and cabochon size
What charity? and a bit about the charity and why you chose it.
opening minimum bid
public bidding or private? -- you might have to set up a tiny dedicated website, where daily bids are posted
When does bidding end?
shipping costs extra?
You might also want to contact members of the charity to tell them what you're doing, as some of them may also want to bid knowing it goes to a good cause

If you can't figure out how to crop, send the pics to me as an attachment.

Poet and essayist

#115850 - 12/02/07 08:26 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: meredithbead]
Poppie Offline

Hi Ladies,

Mer my freind...I realy should have thought about the auction thing before posting about it. I don'e have enough time to be organising all of the relevant stuff you mentioned...but thank you hon.

It's the last three weeks of term and everyone is a little 'end of term' crazy, getting peices finished for assesment etc.
We are at the start of our last brief for this term...and I am loving it. The breif itself is 'EAT'..
Basically, we as a whole cohor have to pu on an exibiion in the first week of next term..on the 8th of Jan(has to be set up on the 7th and I fly back on the 6th!!!)

My concept is very strong...it is a visual statement peice which involves laying a table with comemoraive plates..and on the plates are the photo's of the 10 dead hungerstrikers of 81' from N.Ireland. The men were imprisoned in 'The Maze' and each shared H block shaped sections of the jail.

I will use an old blanket for a table cloth(as it was a blanket protest too)....and in the center, to form a H on the table..a jug of water and five tumblers each side.

I will be making the menu as the narrative for the event and each man will have a place setting which will include his birth, death and a short bio.

Thatcher and Haughey...the two political key figures from this time will be abscent...but their places at the head of the table will have the menues.

I am way excited about this one..as it follows what I said from the outset about documenting through art and jewellry the shifts and changes in N, Ireland over the past 30 years....knowing me, it will change and evolve as I get into the swing of it.

I will post a link to the visual once it is on canvas

Poppie

#115851 - 12/02/07 10:00 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Poppie, boy are you creative. You go girl. It sounds like you are pumped for this project and doing well.

I know you are a member of the NABBW, but I think it would be hard to auction something off in here. If you want to sell it, it might be easier.

#115852 - 12/03/07 05:04 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University!
Poppie Offline

Dots a chara...you 'outed' me as a member..lol...I was saving that for when I had my own web links for my work.....ah well .

The breif that I am doing is taking great shape..and each tutor I share the idea with has helped me stretch it out even further.

The table is now going to be H shaped with a center peice being made out of knives, forks and spoons. I have o be soo very careful with the narrative on the menu...I don't want to be tagged as a 'nationalist' artist I will probably sell this peice back home,when I have one which works well from the other perspective.....my developing skills mean that I could have that on done early in the new year.

I am so primed for this one....and think that there needs to be a range of strong imagrey, from an equally strong female Irish artist/jeweller..who can and will document pasttimes, current times that shaped my world veiw.

I am off now to sketch a half a dozen variations of what I am clearly going to depict

(oh aye...I discovered only recently that I can sketch reasonably well!!!! )

I will keep ya'll up to speed

Big Loves

Poppie

#115853 - 12/31/07 08:45 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
Poppie Offline

Hi Ladies, a quick update....CELTIC nad LUCIEN are comming for the exibition on the 8th of Jan, how cool is that. They are staying with one of my new freinds, who was kind enough to invite all of us over...I won't be able to stay with them at night due to my Uni commitments...but we will have lots of time to do some nice things. Perhaps even meet up with Lola..(then there is the mini boomer convention after that!!) I am one Giddy Biddie.

I have a title for my 'Eat' breif....."Physical starvarion-Cultural Murder"(or political murder)...strong and concise...not too controvertial...I hope to go public with this one, with the Irish News Papers.

Any comments on the title are welcome.

Poppie

#115854 - 01/01/08 03:18 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]

Poppie, I like your picture! I did not realize you and Celtic and Lucien had not seen each other in a long while. I don't have any comments on the title. Your topic already sounds controversial! I also like your line: even the smallest of gifts can alleviate the greatest of suffering. L PL

#115855 - 01/02/08 07:32 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Princess Lenora]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Poppie, so good to hear from you again! It's great that your family is together for this occasion. Best of luck for your exhibition

Poet and essayist

#115856 - 01/03/08 11:31 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: meredithbead]
celtic_flame Offline

i had to stay heer lynne test weere being conducted on lucien that were important that he underwent them and as it turned out it descovered, uncovered he has a disibilitie that will have an ongoing effect on his development. He also had to have a physical opperasion.
Po needed to find her feet with uni and trulie see was it what she wanted to do before we made plannes to all move to london permenantlie.

So we been apart, longer than expected as their was no brake for po over the last 3 mounths. We all mamaged to be together for christmass and new yr. Now that was a storie, i let po tell you her adventures about trying to get to belfast..........
hopefullie the time apart wont be too big in terms of chunkes as visites are necassary especillie for lucien. I kinda dreading a bit how he's gonna readjust to po being in london and us being heer, it will be reallie telling. I hope that visiting her in london be good for him as he can get idea of how far away she is, weer she workes and thse details in his mind will make things a lot easier for him.
he is becomming a dab hand at talking over the internet on messenger, phones don't do it for him but putting voices and phone together is ideal for him.
Mostlie he go back to being and adjust quicklie enough to po being away, thats the hope and theirs lots of stuff she can do to make it easier for him...wen you been away tending to your mum you mist all the deatails i have assomed you knoew about, all well theirs a quick brife outline of some stuff thats been happening.

#115857 - 01/04/08 07:48 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: celtic_flame]
Edelweiss Offline

Celtic, I don't think little children have the same concept of time as we do. That's why I think Anaiya copes so well with not seeing her Daddy. Sometimes over the weekend, he'll just sneak into the house. When she happens to enter the room he's in, she acts like he's been there all week. It must be some instinctive protection they have. I'm so glad she is so easy in this respect. Hope Lucien will manage as well.

#115858 - 01/04/08 05:31 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Lucien is so lucky to have two such loving moms. He will survive.

I think you are right, Hannelore, kids, time, distance - they just don't mean the same thing to them as they do to us.

#115859 - 01/15/08 01:41 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Hello my freinds.....'he came, he saw, he conqured'.....Celtic and the we man have been over with me in London, stayed for about a week. They were here with me for my exibition, which was put up and taken down on the same day(complete chaos for us wee first years!!) It was awsome having my family with me for my first public showing...the exibition itself was amazing. We were all split into teams of five, managers, curators, facilitators(my team) etc,
The whole lot pulled together a realy professional exibition. My peice was chosen for the front window visual as it looked perfect for the name of the beif.."Eat".

I was shocked, pleased as punch, terrified and proud...it went down a treat and the feedback was positive...I was a tad worried that my peice was too shocking or controvertial(like I was getting a dig at the British...nope, not the point!!)

I am made up with the whole outcome...we also got to see how Lucien would cope in London and he was a star. So, that bodes well for future plans for all of us being together in London some time in the second year...fingers crossed.

So, even though I have three weeks off uni now...I have work to do everyday (a substantial ammount!!!)

Mom Ann is also due to visit soon and we are meeting up for lunch on Sunday as far as I can remember...how fab is that!!!

Here's what my peice looked like

I will pop back in for a longer catch u when I am less busy

Big Loves

Poppie

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/popea_photos/?action=view&current=2891ea0b.pbw

Above is a link to the work.xx

#115860 - 01/15/08 02:25 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Wow, how exciting! And now we get to hear about your meeting with Ann as well. Girl, you must be on cloud 9!

Take care and drop in whenever you can. I'm so glad that you were able to be with your family. I know that lifted everyone's spirits!

#115861 - 01/15/08 02:26 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
Edelweiss Offline

Hi Poppie! It's a joy to hear how you are coming along. Your exhibition was an eye catcher. No wonder it was chosen for the front window! Congratulations!
I wish I could join you and Celtic when you meet up in London with Ann. My thoughts will be with you, but our meeting is just postponed. When Celtic moves to London, then it will be easier too.
You rock!
Hannelore

#115862 - 01/16/08 01:13 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Way to go Poppie. Sunday, sweet Sunday. I am looking forward to that day. See you soon.

Who is Bobby? (Sheese, I hope I don't sound like an idiot here)

#115863 - 01/16/08 03:46 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Bobby Sands was the most famous of the Irish Hunger strikers of 1981.

He was elected as a member of British parliment(for my home County) whilst interned in prison and during his hunger strike...which was for better conditions and political status, for all prisoners...not just republican.

Their fight was about human rights and they had support from prisoners(political),from all over the world.

On the little black A cards above the plates...I put their names and just their dates of death. Powerul visual indeed

Poppie

Roll on Sunday Mom :-)

#115864 - 01/17/08 02:22 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Anno]

Hi Poppie, congratulations on all your artisitc work, and for feeling so fab about it. What is this about Celtic moving to London? And Lucien is at home in London? What will you be doing while you are off for 3 weeks? Resting a bit, I bet. Take care, L, PL

#115865 - 01/30/08 08:37 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Princess Lenora]
Poppie Offline

Hi Lenora, with the exibition over....tha past three weeks have been deicated to my work which is due for assesment in the 31st(thursday!!!)

We have recieved the breif for our next two semesters for the double design and make module.

It involves us looking at body adornment through what our own preconceptions of what bracelettes, necklaces and other jewellry items are.

Then looking at it all from a historical pespective.

We need to produce 98 analytical drawings for asssessment in May...a large body of visual reaearch with primary drawings and research for next week, along with a statement of intent for producing a large peice of jewellry and one small peice which will be fo our end of term 'catwalk' show!!! Exciting and scary!!

I seem to be going down the road of slavery, human trafficing as modern day slavery to bondage as contemporary body adornment(collars, cuffs and chains, etc)

As usual, I have the peices of jewellry already formed in my head...but I realy have to work the other way..from the outside in!

I will of course keep ya'll posted

Poppie

#115866 - 01/31/08 11:17 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
celtic_flame Offline

PL lucien is heer with me in belfast, think po ment he felt quite at home in london not he is at home their. He's just had his edu. psychologie asssment to see what type of schooling he will have on offer to him. I waiting for the spacilist team to descuss his case then get back to me, its done diffrentlie in scotland but ha! i live heer unfortunitilie.
Thers some lose talk about us moving to london to overcome the long distances stuff with the problems it brings to relashionships. Their are a lot of if's but and maybee's in the minet as so much is as yet unknowen regarding lucien.

the interum plan was that we meet up once a mounth for a long weekend at the lest, but unfotunitilie its not gonna happen that way its gonna be another 3 mounths before po can get some time off. All important dates in the meantime and we stuck in diffrent parts of countrie.

Po's dads gota his 70th birthday big event, big partie relatives from canada comming. Our 1 st anniversarie (belive it or not, 1 yr alreadie tommorow)now theirs a surprise. I gonna celibrate with a frend anyway who's gonna cook dinner, then theirs a womans night in a club (if l stays well enough to be babiesat) all in all a good celibration (who said it has to be with your partner lol). po's celibratting in a pub with her frends at the moment.
Luciens 4th birthday.
po's unfotunitlie gonna miss them all.

Think i going to scotland for childs birthday let him celibrate with his cousins he be delighted with that option (he wants to live their lol, its 3 male big cussons and my sister thats a big softie, he's bowled over. Po having her 40th birthday in london too.

So sadlie po's missing a lot but things at times have to be sacrificed and i still belive all things happen as they are for a reason the trick is descoverring uncoverring the reason. All seems to get clearer as i go along, a good thing at long last.

one good thing was getting to london for the exibition, the main bad that came out of it was i
1. couldn't afford to go when ann was their (and i messed up dates or got a garbled message of when she was gonna be their)
2. missed her whole visite compleatlie which i was undeniablie sad about. I been looking forwared to it like po had for a yr (approximatlie)i hope for something sometime in the future.

at this stage i be happie with just the photos of wen po and ann met lol.

this is first i managed to get near the computer sinces new yr things have been heactic and happening so fast at the moment, all seems to be about finances and about luciens educasions, i sure, i hope lol it work out well.

#115867 - 01/31/08 11:49 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: celtic_flame]

Hi Po and Celtic, so good to hear from you, and about Lucien. I can't believe he's going to be 4. And Po is only 40? That's not fair. I don't like being the older sister. I like being the the youngest princess. Celtic, are you saying you and Po only 1 year so far? It seems like I have known you two together forever. Po, I am not surprised you are taking on the subject of body wear in terms of human trafficking. You will (do) have the way to create in context with social issues. When I first started reading about your assignment, I somehow pictured in my mind African adornment. Then when I read what you had in mind, I thought, wow, that's so "right on." You know what I mean? Love to you all, PL

#115868 - 02/02/08 01:00 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Princess Lenora]
celtic_flame Offline

no its been 8 yrs or so we been together. But a cival partner ship was a year ago today, yesterday. it was splassed all over bommers with photos and such and the ladies heer were righting and encouraging with lots of support and oppinions )positive) on deatails.
thats the year and i mention it becouse so much was done and disclosed on bommers, just wanted to say or show ladies how fast time flies. I sure po be able to post the link back to that bommer stuff.

a side note pl, triey to pm you regardin g the wonderfull thing you sent and it comming up that your not accepting any private pm's. i know this is reacent change , hope nuthibng untoward has happend to couse the change. and thanks again for the gift.

#115869 - 02/02/08 06:47 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: celtic_flame]

CF, oh yes of course now I remember. How could I forget? Yes, it was on BWS and we were all very excited for you and Po. I will PM you, and you are most welcome!

#115870 - 05/06/08 09:16 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Princess Lenora]
Poppie Offline

Hey my freinds, I have missed you all big time, things have been pretty chaotic for our end of year,'calwalk ' finale!!! I have loved mt first year and have learned so much in such a short space of tine.
Nonetheless, I will be the happiest woman alive when I see my family.

In a couple of weeks I go home to Ireland for summer break..
I promise to post some of my progress when I have it returned from assesssments.

Big Loves

Poppie

#115871 - 05/06/08 10:03 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Poppie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Hey Poppie, we missed you too! Glad that university has been a rewarding experience so far, and even happier that you'll have some well-needed time with your beloved family.

Poet and essayist

#115872 - 05/07/08 08:58 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
So nice of you to pop in and say hello. You are always missed and I bet your family will be just as happy to see you as you are to see them. HUGS to you all.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#115873 - 05/08/08 08:08 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Hey Poppie is poppin again! Say hello to Celtic. So glad to hear your family will be together over the summer months.

#115874 - 05/08/08 11:50 AM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Yuhoooo! Po! So glad to see you pop in, gal. And congrats on completing your first year! Wuhoo! I know you are ready for a break and look forward to being together all summer with your family. Good for you all!

#115875 - 05/30/08 07:33 PM Re: Shiney ,new update on University! [Re: jawjaw]
Poppie Offline

So, heres the update as promised. I don't recall if I posted about my first exibition at the start of this year..relating to an artistic creation relating to the word 'eat'...our brief. Well, mine was a table set with plates with the faces of all the ten dead 'hungerstrikers' of 81' in Northen Irish Gaols...and just name places with the mens name and date of death....mostly all in May of 1981.

It was a controvertial peice..but a pretty sunning and emotive one...which stole centre stage and got me lots of great feedback..and my name spoke about in all sorts of exciting ways.
Well...our end of year catwalk show is on the 3rd of June and M and I are flying over to support my group. I am not displaying my peices as close to submission I ended up in the middle of a 'down cycle' with my bi-polar. It was set of by being treated with morpine for a physical problem..and it knocked me for six. Fro the first in a long time...I was able to nip the progression in the bud. My med team, the student body and my roomies were superb...and it played out without it's usual reign of chaos. So..I submitted early..so I could come home a couple of weeks early...and all is good whre that is concerned.

Has anybody been keeping abreast of the going ons at The Cannes Film Fest. Well, Steve McQueen has released a movie called 'Hunger'..which tells the story mostly of 'Bobby Sands' who led the strike to start of with...he (McQueen) has won an award and the film should air soon. When that happens..I am going public with my instalation from the exibition..only it will be on canvas. The timing couldn't be more perfect...this is the beginnings of me getting my mark made with the type of art I always said I would produce..'that which pulls asunder the shifts and changes of the cultural and political landscape in Ireland over the past thirty years'. It was one of the reasons why the Uni wanted me on the course. Michelle has a contact who is a female journalist who wishes to interveiw me, she is from somewhere in big ole America...so we shall see how this pans out.

One year down..and I am screaming...bring it on for number 2,I love my life, for it is truly charmed..even with the glitches

I hope that you all got what I am going on about...I think that the first exibition is talked about further back in this thread....

If explanations or clarifications are needed..just ask(cos I can talk toothepaste back into the tube)

Poppie

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved