The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#114453 - 04/11/07 09:17 PM Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
I've been a 'no-show' at these Forums, and Ladies, I've missed you all.

In early January we discovered that my husband has early stage prostate cancer. Since the diagnosis we've been researching all possible types of treatments, and have had a number of physician consultations. It has been a stressful few months. I set myself the task to discover all I could learn, concerning this cancer, and which treatment course would be best, for my husband. We believe we have settled on a treatment that gives my husband a good chance for a cure.

I wanted you all to know, I enjoy participating here, with this group of wonderful women, and will hope to have the opportunity to do so again, very soon.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#114454 - 04/11/07 09:50 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Jeannine]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm so sorry to hear this. What a wise thing to do...deciding after researching, which treatment would be best. You both will be in my thoughts.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#114455 - 04/11/07 09:55 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am sorry about the bad news, but it sounds like you have focused all your positive energy on finding the very best treatment. Brilliant.

I will hold you in my heart.

#114456 - 04/11/07 10:06 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Anno]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Jeannine: I am so sorry to read of your husband's bout with prostate cancer but, at the same time, relieved that it had been diagnosed at an early stage. Lots of thoughts and prayers for you and hubby.

#114457 - 04/11/07 10:10 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Lola]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Hi Jeannine. Sorry to hear about this - but I'm glad you caught it early. That means chances of beating it are better. Keep us posted, and in the meantime, y'all are in my prayers.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#114458 - 04/11/07 10:11 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Lola]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Jeannine...I'll keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers as you make your decisions and go through the process...keep us posted...

#114459 - 04/12/07 11:58 AM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Dear Jeannine: Sad news to read, but glad he's in treatment. You did the right thing by focusing in learning about your choices. I'll be praying for you both. May you experience the blessing of peace each day!
NABBW & NAWW

#114460 - 04/12/07 12:42 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Songbird]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
My stepfather had it, and was healed. Here's sending you all the positive thoughts I have to you and your Hubby.
Hannelore

#114461 - 04/12/07 01:31 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Edelweiss]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Catching prostate cancer early is a really good thing. My uncle and a friend caught it early. They both had surgery and are considered cured and living full lives now.

I read something once that stuck with me: More men die WITH prostate cancer than FROM prostate cancer. (It's a very treatable and slow growing cancer that is not nearly as life threatening as so many others)

Best of luck to you both. Please keep us posted.
Kathy

#114462 - 04/13/07 04:00 AM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Jeannine, my best wishes for you and your husband to get through this and into health.

Poet and essayist

#114463 - 04/13/07 04:39 AM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Jeannine]
chickadee Offline

Jeannine, we missed you too. I think it is great that you have researched and found what you are both satisfied to do. I am keeping you in prayer and look forward to you dropping in when you can.

#114464 - 04/13/07 11:31 AM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: chickadee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Jeannine, welcome back dear friend. My beloved Daddy had prostrate cancer and it wasn't in the early, but intermediate stages. Guess what? It was cured! So take heart. Daddy had the "seed" surgery where they implant tiny radioactive seeds inside that surround and kill the cancer. I don't remember the success rate, statistically, but it was very, very, high ... something like 98%? Anyway, it was successful.

I want you to know your intelligent and caring voice is missed here and we'll be holding you both close to our hearts! If you get the chance, let us hear from you now and then.

JJ

#114465 - 04/13/07 04:32 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: jawjaw]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
When I first saw your post, I was rattled by it. When people ask for sympathy in a time of unforseen tragedy I never know what to say to them. But my heart goes out for you both.

I hope you're able to find a way to cope and have friends to help you manage. Here's a hug.

#114466 - 04/15/07 11:39 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: mrs_madness]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Jeannine, my father had a surgery for it decades ago and lived to be 90. I wish you and your husband the best.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#114467 - 04/16/07 03:09 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: Saundra]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Jeannine, athanks for jumping in and sharing so your boomer sisters can carry you in prayer. I hope you have gotten great advice and are hopeful because I too have known men who have been diagnosed, cured and are still lving. One was in his 30s and is now in his late 50s.

#114469 - 04/23/07 12:53 AM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: ]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I was watching a PBS special on cancer last week. One of the physicians/scientists/researchers made a comment specifically about prostate cancer. He said they did a study and found during autopsies that a very high percentage (don't remember the number, but it was high, because it caught my attention) of men have prostate cancer cells. The remainder of his comment was the clincher... most prostate cancer cells do not develop into full blown cancer.

Later in the show, one of the gentlemen stated we all have cancer cells growing in our bodies constantly and that some mutate, sometimes growing into what we label "cancer" cells (even they are initially cancer cells), but others die off... but they are there constantly.

It was the Charlie Rose show. Here's a list of his guests:

SIR PAUL NURSE President of The Rockefeller University

HAROLD VARMUS President, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

DAVID NATHAN President Emeritus, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

DEB SCHRAG Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

MARTIN ABELOFF Director, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins

Very interesting show... don't know if this is it in its entirety Charlie Rose Show PBS, but you can find at least some of it through this link (find Wednesday, April 18th, 3rd down center column as of this posting):
http://www.charlierose.com/
David Nathan was the one who made the comment about cancer cells growing in himself as he spoke (not verbatim).

#114470 - 04/23/07 04:54 AM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
gimster, sounds like a show well worth watching. It doesn't sound very hopeful though. Was it?

#114471 - 04/23/07 04:05 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I came away hopeful. At the end, the host and guests did a recap, along with what they see for the future. Many concurred there are good things coming... medicines, diagnostic tools, non-invasive surgeries, collaborative effort among researchers, pooling of information (a central database), international sharing, and so on.
I'm sure I've missed something, but like I said, I came away encouraged.

#114472 - 04/23/07 04:53 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: gims]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Wishing you and hubby all the best Jeannine!

#114473 - 04/23/07 10:41 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: TVC15]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
There are some natural herbs out there, Saw Palmetto is one, thats great for men with or with prostrate problems. Check it out.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#114474 - 04/27/07 04:19 PM Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis [Re: chatty lady]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Jeanine,
Glad to see you on the forum.

I'll keep you and your husband in my prayers.

Take care,
Laurel

#114475 - 05/16/07 06:55 PM Outlook Bright [Re: Laurel]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Thanks to everyone for their kind words of support.

Jaw-Jaw mentioned the seed implant, and that's the treatment option my husband chose. He came through the procedure with flying colors, and his doctor stated he could not be more pleased with how it all went. In a matter of but a few days, my husband was up and about, and doing quite well. Though pain medication had been prescribed, he did not feel it necessary to make use of it.

He will now begin the outer radiation treatments, once a day, five days a week, for six weeks. These treatments will have no ill effect on my husband. They are given in order to maintain a certain level of radiation in the implanted gold seeds, and to zap any cancer cells that may have leaked from the prostate gland into other parts of the body. This follow-up treatment I felt was just good old common sense, and part of the reason we opted for the seed implant.

My husband was fortunate to have been accepted for treatment by the doctors at the clinics here in Atlanta, established by Dr. Frank Critz, a pioneer in the treatment of prostate cancer.

Radiotherapy Clinics of Georgia

When I did research, and discovered the cure rate was exactly the same, for the implants, as for radical surgery, for early stage prostate cancer, and that my husband would need not suffer through a long and often painful recovery period, the implants seemed the right choice. We all know, Ladies, how much of a toll on a person, major surgery can take.

My husband and I remain optimistic that the treatments will be fully effective.

As someone mentioned here, prostate cancer is rarely the cause of death, for men. It is a slow growing cancer, though, as our doctor told us, not as slow growing as originally believed. The real danger for men, is the possibility of leakage of cancer cells from the prostate into adjoining areas of the body, where they become more aggressive in growth.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#114476 - 05/16/07 07:04 PM Re: Outlook Bright [Re: Jeannine]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Jeannine how wonderful! I'm so glad you opted for this surgery and the recovery, as you said, is minimal. Daddy took aspirin or Advil or something like that, afterwards. I'm so happy for you both! And thank you for dropping in and letting us know of his successful surgery! Wuhoooo!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved