The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#111874 - 03/20/07 11:45 AM Re: Worry? [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Great topic for women. Don't you think we worry more than men?

I inherited the worry gene from Mom and let it cultivate for years. Then I realized I had a choice. I no longer wanted to carry that gene. This has taken years of work. By the grace of God, I worry less. I've done studies (am doing one now called Living Above Worry and Stress. I've mentioned before that I'm doing a series of studies written by the Women of Faith gals. This was the next one in the series and I figured I still need work in that area, so why not?) What I have come to realize is that this is not the life God wants us to live. He wants us to trust that He knows what's best for us and to embrace that regardless of what it is. Why waste time worrying when He is in control anyway AND He has our very best interest at heart? VERY BEST!

What has worked for me is reading what the Bible has to say about worry. I have used a topical Bible and read all the verses about worry, and I've learned that it's actually a sin, and I still continue to do it anyway, but not as much. Go figure. Anyway, you mention praying it down. I love that choice of words. That's exactly what I do. And if not through prayer, I simply change my thoughts to something far away from the worry and then I take my mind in that direction and it works. I also change the worried thoughts to positive, good thoughts because hey, it's just as likely something good will happen.

I have three kids in college. One is now in the Bahamas on spring break. I could worry myself sick, but I've chosen to turn it into prayer by asking for his health and safety every day. Instead of my worry about him drowning, breaking his neck on the trapeze, geting carried away with the unlimited alcohol, etc., I am picturing having a blast with his friends, reading his book while catching rays, eating good food which he loves, and being the responsible kid he typically is. If something happens, I believe it's God's will and He will give me the strength to manage. All much easier said than done, but also possible. Hope this helps.

Also, worry robs us of our joy that is rightfully ours!

#111875 - 03/20/07 11:59 AM Re: Worry?
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
That was wonderfully phrased, Dotsie! I am a worrier too. I am always worried about my husband traveling or my nephews and nieces out with their friends partying, etc. I will try to think more on lines of that thought from now on. Thanks for sharing that!

#111876 - 03/20/07 05:25 PM Re: Worry? [Re: Cookie]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
This is a great topic, and the answers or solutions from all you wise women are excellent. Yonuh I will remember to ask myself will it matter in 5 or 10 years. That's a good one.

Maybe Gimster you have a gift. It's not worry but instead, intuitions.
Dotsie, that is interesting that the Bible considers worry a sin. Do you agree with that?

I worry more than my husband, that's for sure.

My son and granddaughter stayed with us over the weekend. My son, who is 29, went out to meet friends of his. I woke up at 5AM and tiptoed down the hall, and peeked into his room to see if he came back. He wasn't!
This is so sick….I couldn't go back to sleep. All these horrible visions went through my head. Finally I heard a door creak, and my old mother soul was off in slumber land. What the kids do outside of the house doesn't worry me at all…it's when they are here…figure that?

#111877 - 03/20/07 05:59 PM Re: Worry? [Re: Edelweiss]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Dotsie, I totally agree. Worry is such a time-waster.
I totally give it up to God and say..You can do it for us, Lord!

Cindy

#111878 - 03/20/07 09:21 PM Re: Worry? [Re: diamond50]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
yea its nice to hand it over and to talk about those worries or bit of weired thinking you do have but would never admit to having...
you do have those types of weired wee thoughts..HL dont you dare say NO now! hehe

So if by chgance theirs no god and i been talking to myself and spilling the beans on my deepest and darkest and sillies of worries it wont matter as it helped in the moment...

One QUESTION to the ladies THAT PRAY...do you do a set prayer for the situasion, ie the our father or whatever, or do you do a free flowing one...one thats more fitting to the situasion...i forgett to aske that so often

#111879 - 03/21/07 08:30 AM Re: Worry? [Re: celtic_flame]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Celtic, you are so refreshingly honest. I just love you.

I pray the "Our Father" automatically. And when I talk or need advice...I think of my own father, and ask him what he would do. He's always given me good advice.

#111880 - 03/21/07 11:43 AM Re: Worry? [Re: Edelweiss]
celtic_flame Offline

yea i never quite know what others mean by it unless their furiouslie fingerring round a roserie lol...

thats lovilie that you think of your own father...he did sound nice, and good that he still lives on in your mind (at the verie lest)to give and help you in the heer and now

#111881 - 03/21/07 05:32 PM Re: Worry? [Re: celtic_flame]
gims Offline

By "Our Father," do you mean the Lord's Prayer? Or, is there another prayer script by that name?
I do, on occasion use the Lord's Prayer, but it's usually a preface to a more pointed prayer.
Most of my prayers are fleeting snippets to "bless this", "relieve this", "handle that", "fix something else".

God knows all, sees all, feels all, hears all, is all... so I don't feel the need to get wordy with him. He knows where my heart is and where it needs to be. He knows what needs to be done and how to do it.

I find most of my prayers to simply be, "Lord, wrap your loving arms around so and so. He/she needs you right now."
Other times, it's a simple, "Thank you, Father, for being there and taking care of so and so."

I do know I don't tell him "thank you" enough, but maybe admitting it here will help me remember to do so.

#111882 - 03/21/07 05:44 PM Re: Worry? [Re: gims]
gims Offline

Quote:

it's just as likely something good will happen.

This made me cry, dotsie, for some reason. It is now planted in my heart.

Neither my mom or my dad are worriers. Daddy is a 'que sera sera' kind of guy. and, Mother has so much faith she knows, without doubt, whatever she asks, she will receive. I don't know how I ended up with the worry gene. I've conquered worrying for the most part. The heart strangling moments are the bother.

#111883 - 03/21/07 06:20 PM Re: Worry? [Re: gims]
celtic_flame Offline

By "Our Father," do you mean the Lord's Prayer?....yes
then we went on to talk of HL chatting to her dad at spacific times...

The heart strangling moments are the bother GIMSTER.i hope this eases for you as "hart strangling" sound painfull and tourmoil....never plesant espicallie in relashion to loved ones..hope you find comphort from this post, you have been saying its lightning your load.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved