The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#111486 - 06/13/07 11:10 AM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: orchid]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Good points, Orchid. I completely agree with you about Friends. I watched Seinfeld in reruns and thought it was funny, until the Kramer actor's public racist rant. And Latino stereotypes are everywhere -- even the dog on Ren and Stimpy is a negative stereotype of a Latino.

Shows are put on the air for the benefit of advertisers, first and foremost. Ratings are a corrupt system tha's used to identify which specific audiences are viewing and then to set rates for advertisers. Viewers -- i.e., the public that's supposed to be served -- are a commodity that's being traded by the businesses involved in TV production. The more people are aware of how this system works, the more we can start to take back the airwaves.

#111487 - 06/15/07 07:17 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: orchid]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I've been so busy that I just caught this thread and probably too late to make a difference but, for years now I've been insulted by the twattle that airs for the general population. For me its not about Conservatism vs Wiccan's or this belief system or another belief system, its about numbing and dumbing of the mind.

Christian TV is just as nauseating as Sex In the City. What kind of people actually live their lives as is portrayed on TV??!! I'm frankly upset by it all.

CNN repeats the same news stories over and over and over and call it headline news, the same themes are repeated in all the sitcoms and talk shows. People's lusts are becoming harder and harder to appease. Jack Ass aired a guy getting his butt nailed with a hydraulic nailer. CSI gets more and more graphic along with its sister shows reaching further and further to appease the public's desire to see yuck and rotting flesh.

The act of sex is looked on with as much respect as eating a bologna sandwich. The shows that do try to portray some kind of morals are sickeningly sweet and morbidly boring.

Frankly, I enjoy Sponge Bob with the kids and Everybody Loves Raymond and Frazier and Animal Planet and the Health Channels and the house makeover and people makeover shows and Dr. Phil although to me he is an arrogant Oprah Spiceboy creation.

Even the science fiction shows are of the same IQ level as Lost in Space. I used to enjoy Muldar and Sculley in a pretty good show but that ended...

I won't be preached to by the neo evengelists either. The Hollywood producers are either paid off or bow to the pressure of special interest groups who are pushing their agenda on everyone else.

I'm very selective about what I watch, not because I care that much about the morality of what I'm watching but just that my mind has to be fed and has to grow and expand and the AIDS looking for somewhere to happen mentality of most of the sitcoms just leaves me empty.

#111488 - 06/15/07 08:01 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: NewLeaf]
Mountain Ash Offline

Do you all remember The Waltons ? Films...Anne of Green Gables
Little house on the Prarie?

Time for change lets swing the media into re runs...
Mountain ash

#111489 - 06/15/07 09:13 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: Mountain Ash]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Mountain ash, I really liked Anne of Green Gables films!

New leaf, I agree with what you said about Dr. Phil, and TV in general. TV is soooo bad!

I really hate all those reality shows they are always advertising. I don't watched any of them. What has happened to TV??? I rarely watch it anymore. I usually read or rent a movie.

#111490 - 06/16/07 03:15 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: Cookie]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Me too. We play video games and I got one of those huge Where's Waldo books and we spend time hunting for items. Aaliyah is on the verge of reading and she's only 4.

We work out in the yard and paint and feed and water the Guenia pigs. She loves to help me cook and she is the coffee maker in the family. Dublin loves science and medical books (not for the pictures...lol)

We have been watching a mother Cardinal build her nest and lay eggs and sit on them. We did the research and are following along in reality watching the nestlings getting feathers and the dad taking over for the mom giving her a break. We have pet lizards that come out to greet us when we leave the house or come home and at night we sit in the porch swing and listen to the chicadas with candlelight and sip sweet tea and count the stars.

I don't miss TV.

#111491 - 06/20/07 07:04 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: NewLeaf]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
I absolutely despise television! There is so little programming that educates, inspires, motivates, or otherwise enhances our experience, our human growth. It is a wasteland of inferior, mind-numbing, questionable so-called entertainment. As mentioned here, it is a venue for nothing more than pushing goods and services, period.

It grows yearly, more and more offensive, as to program content, and seems dedicated to lowering not only our sensibilities, but our intelligence level as well. Simply stated, it is mass Poisoning of the Populace.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#111492 - 06/21/07 02:27 AM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: Jeannine]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
I agree that there is so little on TV worth watching. I watch very little myself. There are so many other worthwhile things to do. But, I do have to say, The Discovery and History Channels are big in our house. My husband and I were watching one of the Planet Earth shows earlier, we really enjoyed it.
But now, I browse the forum and then it's on to a good book before bed.
gerri
gerri

#111493 - 06/21/07 03:24 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: gerrbeck]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Speaking of TV watching, I am not a huge fan at all of television. My daughter, however, watches her share. I am amzed that she has been at college for the summer and does not have a TV in her dorm. Maybe we should get rid of all the TVs in the house. Do all of you have them in your homes?

#111494 - 06/21/07 04:07 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
We have one TV and we hardly watch it. I'm thinking of repacing it with a fish aquarium. It would be more entertaining to watch than what's on TV.

#111495 - 06/21/07 05:03 PM Re: TV & Diversity of Beliefs Chapter [Re: Cookie]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree that there's a lot of bad stuff on television, especially because of the system. But there's also a whole lot of bad stuff in the library, not to mention the book stores! Around here, I'd say that about 90% of what's in either one is not something I'd want to read. But still I read books (mostly ones I hunt down on Amazon or in used book stores).

To me, the problem isn't the medium per se. The problem is, I repeat, the system. One huge conglomerate can own each of the following: book publishing companies, TV channels, movie studios, radio stations, theme parks and baseball teams. How do you think Harry Potter became such a huge seller worldwide? Because the same company owned the publishing company, the movie studio, and the TV station where it could advertise the first two.

These companies aren't interested in ideas and art; they're interested in making a profit. The most interesting ideas, like the most interesting tv shows, might appeal to a minority and have a hard time getting published and produced. But when they do surface, it's great to find them.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved