The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#108425 - 02/21/07 04:49 AM Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists ?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well, it's just he and I. Food kitty money set aside each week....is ...$60.00CAN. Covers food, and less often, toilet paper, kleenex, kitchen wrapping materials, dishwashing powder & laundry detergent.

This doesn't count going out occasionally for a meal/weekend lunch snack.

We buy primarily fresh foods. The packaged foods we buy (and not all time) are: some dried chinese foods, spices, pasta, phyllo pastry, some fresh juices...

And neither of us, make grocery shopping list(s) in advance -except if one of us wants to prepare a special dish/ meal...then the person will make an effort to get ingredients.

It works for us..probably because no children are presently living with us. Each of us know each others' palate but we are adventurous. So no need to consult in advance. We also individually buy here and there if each person alone, sees a good deal or can remember something that we are low/don't have, some groceries, every few days. Maybe 2-4 items are purchased each time.

We trust each other that we won't overindulge in overspending on 1 food item. We each come from family backgrounds where each of our mothers were immigrant and cooked up meals from nearly nothing.

My dearie also used to be a weekend farmer, so he tends to buy fresh produce and believes in supporting local farms. (Now I think I've concocted a man with hayseeds in his beard...this plus cycling.)

It does help we want (I said want) to be moving more consistently towards a healthy diet.

Edited by orchid (02/21/07 04:58 AM)

#108426 - 02/23/07 06:14 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: orchid]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I can't go into a grocery store without a list. I'm a list maker for a lot of things. I keep a running list on the counter and I add to it as I go about each day. Some days the list only contains about 10 items or so. This last week it contained about 25. It's only my husband and myself at home. But, I buy a lot of the "Buy one get one free" sales and put the extra item away for my daughter and her husband. And, at Winn Dixie, they have a free coupon sale every week. If you spend over $25 you get up to 3 items free on their coupon sale list. I usually get those and put them away from my daughter as well.

I don't do a lot of shopping in the 'middle' of the store. I tend to stick to the outer aisles and keep to the fresh food areas. Dairy, meat, produce, etc. I do buy pasta and pasta sauce. And tuna fish. so I enter the middle once in a while.

We also have a dog and a bird, so we have to include shopping for them. Food, treats, toys, etc. I'm trying to buy my dog's food by the case, so that it's less expensive. Definitely buy it from Petsmart instead of the grocery store. This wee the grocery store was 18 cents higher. And, the company that makes my bird's food just increased their prices. Blaming it on the higher cost of corn. Sheesh. A bag that used to cost $9 now cost $12.

I do all the shopping for groceries and stuff for the house. My husband does all the shopping for electronics and computers. Any high cost items (usually more than $100) we confer on.

I don't have a set amount each month to spend. But I try to keep the costs down. Sometimes, it's "Stock Up" day so I go over my "suggested" amount. I try to hit the sales and stock up then. When toilet paper is on sale, I buy enough for a couple of months. The same with paper towels and laundry detergent. I have to save money where ever I can. One thing we will not run out of in my house - toilet paper. LOL
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#108427 - 02/23/07 06:23 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Funny---I just stumbled across this site which has grocery list you can print out, and other printables. Might be worth your time to print them out???

Anyway, I don't even know if they are free or have a cost associated with them, but you can check and see. I haven't gotten that far yet.

http://donnayoung.org/household/fullsize/kitchen/index.htm

#108428 - 02/23/07 11:13 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm one of those who makes the list and then leaves it home on the kitchen counter!

#108429 - 02/24/07 09:18 AM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: TVC15]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Me too, I have to force myself to put the list in my purse!
Cindy

#108430 - 02/24/07 08:32 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: diamond50]
chickadee Offline

I usually buy the same old same old once a week. I always have the last grocery reciept with me. I give it the once over, to see what I have run out of. kind of like taking stock. I keep a counter list of 'run out of occasionally' items, like razors, dishwashing powder, cards, bubblewrap, etc.

chick

#108431 - 02/28/07 05:21 AM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
orchid Offline

Quote:

I don't do a lot of shopping in the 'middle' of the store. I tend to stick to the outer aisles and keep to the fresh food areas. Dairy, meat, produce, etc. I do buy pasta and pasta sauce. And tuna fish. so I enter the middle once in a while.

We also have a dog and a bird, so we have to include shopping for them. Food, treats, toys, etc. I'm trying to buy my dog's food by the case, so that it's less expensive. Definitely buy it from Petsmart instead of the grocery store. This wee the grocery store was 18 cents higher. And, the company that makes my bird's food just increased their prices. Blaming it on the higher cost of corn. Sheesh. A bag that used to cost $9 now cost $12.

I never thought of the outer edges of store shopping vs. inner. Except if you want some dynamic spicing up of your dishes, you must go further in.

If I have time, I actually enjoy looking at some of the things which I don't buy but muse over what the ingredient is used for. And it knocks me out to see all the different brands of olive oil, balsamic vinegar...

In the diary area I would buy skim or 1% milk that lasts me almost wks. tofu, egg whites, soy cheese and occasionally low fat cottage cheese or sour cream. It's him that loads up on his fat-free yogurt. But yea, we use same stuff for yogurt sauces.

am excited to try this tub of hot Thai green curry paste. It's so much, it will last us for the next few months. Just a few large tablespoons for a super kick...

but getting back on topic... I'm often intrigued to see while standing in line, what people will buy with their food kitty. My choices on the conveyor belt look pretty staid (to me) but perhaps not to some others.

#108432 - 03/01/07 02:22 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, my sister taught me the outer shopping theory and I love it. It wasn't possible to do when the kids were home but now that it's just Ross and I it's much easier. I still creep within for juice, crackers, cereal, Tostito's, tuna, peanut butter and sauces.

I keep a list on the fridge so I can write things down as we run out. Our cupboards are bare in comparison to when the kids were here. We had an ice storm a couple weeks ago and it's the first time I thought there might not be enough food in the house if we got stranded. I'm learning that the less options in the fridge and cupboards, the less I eat. No fun, but true.

orchid, I also like to see what ohters buy. Sometimes I learn about new products that way. I have no problem asking them if they like such and such.

#108433 - 03/01/07 04:16 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
My partner and I shop together weekly at our local food co-op. We buy mostly fresh produce, organic and locally grown. We shop at Trader Joe's for some items - their organic 3 cheese pizza that we top ourselves, and wild- caught Alaskan salmon. We don't usually make a list but buy what's on sale or looks like a good deal. In winter we eat lots of soups; in summer lots of salads. We also buy canned goods when they are on sale for our 'emergency supply' stash, which also contains first aid supplies and water. The emergency stash gets recycled periodically so everything is fresh - just in case. On our vet's recommendation, we just switched our cats and dogs to food we buy at our local feed store. I have to say it has made a big difference for our geriatric cats and for the dogs. They seem livelier, and the one dog's skin allergies have almost disappeared. Dogs and cats get almost the same things, lots of meat and low grain; no wheat or lamb but mostly brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#108434 - 03/28/07 03:43 AM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: yonuh]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
El Hubbo is Mr. Coupon and does most of his grocery shopping around what's on sale. He'll get boxes of pasta with seasonings for 20 cents, and a lot of other stuff I'd never buy but he thinks it's a good deal because it's cheap.

I rarely set foot in the bigger grocery stores where he coupons. I do enjoy Trader Joe's and Henry's Markets. Most of our produce is fresh from the farmers' market.

Poet and essayist

#108435 - 03/28/07 03:35 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: meredithbead]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Meredith,
We love Trader Joe's so much and local shopper of trader joes. I love there merinated Salmon and there meats and all kind of things . My husband can find unsalted nuts there that you can not find any place else for such a good price.

#108436 - 03/28/07 03:42 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: meredithbead]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotise ,
We are a big shopper's of "Wegman's " , now hubby always makes a list and off we go. I have to go up to the Amish market one day . I got the most wonderful barbace chicken there one day . We shop twice a week and stock up on food . Good deal up the road .

Okay I am finished .

#108437 - 03/28/07 07:58 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: Sadie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm also a Trader Joe's fan. We have one within walking distance. Yes, they do have great nuts and nut mixes. I'll be sure to get some before a couple of the kids come home for Easter.

Wegman's is a little too far up the beltway for me. I go there on special occasions. I'll probably make a trip for Easter brunch and dinner. I love browing at that store. That's another reason I don't go. It takes too long and I never have much time to browse.

Our Farmer's Market will begin again soon. I can't wait. That is also within walking distance and held only once a week.

#108438 - 08/03/08 09:17 PM $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults
orchid Offline

How much is your household's monthly grocery bill? Do you have a set max. figure for budgeting purposes?

I was stunned to hear from a newly wed couple who are in their early 30's. 2 months ago they moved from their university dorm residences for graduate students where all meals are prepared as part of the annual accommodation cost there.

Now they are in apartment and living with the reality of grocery shopping, and for him, learning to cook. And he is trying.

they spend $700.00CAN monthly for groceries. They entertain friends at home, once a monh. This cost excludes wine, beer. And does not include the coffees, little snacks that one buys outside of home. Nor does it include occasional restaurant meals.
They have no children.

I was abit shocked. But perhaps my partner and I buy and eat thriftily in the food area. For our monthly groceries it works out at maximum $400.00CAN monthly or under. We do not need to buy from Costcos. Makes no economic sense for just the 2 of us and when we don't have alot of pantry storage rm.

I should add we eat on this budget creative, diverse meals. It's not macaroni and cheese. I honestly believe that we do prepare and eat near gourmet like meals 2-3 times a wk. at home even on such a budget. It's more intuitive understanding of good cooking techniques from West-East cuisines.

Just curious to know...and are you sort of being more budget minded now or spending habits still the same now as it was 20 years ago on food?

Edited by orchid (08/03/08 09:23 PM)

#108439 - 08/03/08 09:39 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: orchid]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Orchid, our monthly runs between $250 to $350US, depending on whether I keep any of the kiddos or not. If it were just me, I could probably live on $100, but my hubby is a wholesome eater...

#108440 - 08/03/08 10:22 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I asked Hubbo, who is the main shopper here, what our monthly total is including meals out. He said maybe $150. We do not eat cheap or junky food -- and other than some TJ's frozen items, not much that's pre-prepared. He is a serious coupon shopper. Our meals are mostly seasonal produce and bulk grains.

Poet and essayist

#108441 - 08/03/08 10:48 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: meredithbead]
Cookie Offline

Just on groceries...food items only? When I shop for groceries, I always buy non-food items at the same time...cat food, paper towels, aspirins, etc. I will have to go through my grocery receipts for the month and see just how much of my bill is on groceries and how much is supplies.

#108442 - 08/03/08 10:55 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: Cookie]
orchid Offline

Quote:

Just on groceries...food items only? When I shop for groceries,

Yes, primarily groceries for the food bill. In our household we only buy toilet tissue bundles and paper towels every few months anyway.

Meredith: $150.00 per month for the 2 of you???? Look, I know you and hubby are not running a farm. Do you grow abit of your own veggies, herbs?

During the times, when my partner goes off cycling for 1-2 months on his own, I spend about $200.00 monthly or less for myself on groceries.

No we don't use coupons. But we do buy things on sale if we happen to see and buy whatever is fresh/in season. Sometimes I do shop in Chinatown where one can get an incredible variety of veggies and fruits at excellent prices. 2 litres of name brand milk (with an English local dairy) is cheaper here compared to other supermarkets. I would say at least 10-15% of our grocery bill is spent there. I bought a bag of fresh 12 lichee fruit for under $2.00CAN today.

I always walk out of there, pleased with how much I bought for us.

#108443 - 08/03/08 11:11 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

For instance, Ralph's has a sale this week, pure apple juice 64 oz. (2 liters) for $1 so we bought 20. For non-perishable food, that's how we shop. Luckily we have a lot of storage space.

Bulk grains are much cheaper than buying in boxes. Fresh produce, only in season and local-grown, preferable whatever is on sale this week.

Poet and essayist

#108444 - 08/03/08 11:34 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Cookie made a point... our $$$ includes cleaning supplies, paper goods, personal hygiene products, lightbulbs and other extras, which can be high $$. For instance, an $11 broom.

#108445 - 08/04/08 03:19 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Quote:

Cookie made a point... our $$$ includes cleaning supplies, paper goods, personal hygiene products, lightbulbs and other extras, which can be high $$. For instance, an $11 broom.

True, but we don't buy bathroom supplies every week. Same for lightbulbs.

This is the advantage of living in a small home for 2 people, with 1 bathroom, 1 bedroom- condo. Less lightbulbs, less rolls of toilet paper...less cleaning...less...less..less. And since I am still earning money, I cover my own hygiene products...He doesn't use them...since he's sensitive to any hint of fragrance.

So grocery bill is primarily...for eating..

#108446 - 08/04/08 06:43 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I rarely buy non-food items in a grocery store, as the mark-up is much higher than buying at a discount store.

Poet and essayist

#108447 - 08/04/08 08:14 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Ditto for me as well Meredith. I buy things like toilet paper, towel paper etc. in bulk when there a good sale and have shelves to store it on.

I have to tell you I was one that boo-hoo'd those dollar stores in the beginnig BUT I have to take it all back, because I am buying more and more things there and so are my friends, the ones with money too... It is amazing what can be found in these stores sometimes.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#108448 - 08/04/08 08:22 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: chatty lady]
Mountain Ash Offline

Chatty
we have £1 stores and some laughed to begin with.BUT the garden department is really good.I still induge at a garden centre.When a special thing is nededBut the sandwich bags and shamppos etc are same as other shops for much less.
Mountain ash

#155385 - 08/07/08 11:40 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Chatty, I'm with you on the dollar stores. We have them all over the place. The bargains one can find are amazing. FYI: they have good sugar-free candy for diabetics, but don't eat too much of it because it can make you sick. It's good for the occasional sweet tooth. A dollar a bag. You can't beat it.

#155392 - 08/07/08 12:26 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

I'm one of those people who want to get in, get it done, and get home... the reason why I apply the "one-stop-shopping" method. My grocer is the closest to me, nothing between it and me, so I buy most there, unless I have something unusual to do that takes me further into a multi-shopping area. I don't even pass a dollar store on my way to the post office and library (my second most frequented stops). We are smack dab in between two major shopping amenities, equal distance as a matter of fact, but I keep from venturing beyond my small little world...

#155451 - 08/07/08 07:34 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: gims]
Cookie Offline

I feel the exact same way, Gims....get in, get it done, and get home! We have a MEGA wal-mart here, which I absolutely HATE, but I really have no choice but to shop there because of the prices. When the new Wal-Mart was built, the construction crew drove around on golf carts to get to one end of the store to the other. As shoppers,we have to walk from one end of the store for food, and then other end of the store for supplies, and pass by a bunch of crap that they threw in between. I usually go first thing in the morning after I have had a goods nights sleep because I will be exhausted when I get home from sprinting all over the store. And you must keep an eye out for the elderly and disabled folks that are buzzin' all over the store in those motorized carts. LOOK OUT! shocked Did I mention I hate that Big A** Wal-Mart store! Only good thing I can say about it is that it is doing it's part for over-weight America. This is why I asked in another post if supplies was included in the amount of money a person spends on groceries each month. I can't separate the two unless I make two trips. crazy

#155486 - 08/07/08 08:47 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: Cookie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
MY God Cookie, I could have written the same post, word for word. I HATE, HATE, HATE shopping unless I am looking for yarn, that I love!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#155529 - 08/08/08 02:35 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: chatty lady]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I am with you gals on the dollar stores. I feel no guilt or shame when I take all my grandkids and "let 'em rip" in the store for whatever they want. The one place I don't have to say no to them, LOL!!

As for groceries, we buy most things from Costco including non-groceries so I would have to check the receipts.

#155534 - 08/08/08 02:56 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: diamond50]
chickadee Offline

Hate it with a passion. I am thinking about doing my grocery shopping online now that the store here offers it. Load n Go sounds so easy. Still gotta drag it in and put it away.
I was going to open a dollar store in Canada about 20 yrs ago when they were quite rare in the whole province, but I had a partner who didn't think we should. 6 months later one went in the mall...still there and making money. Many surfaced since but we could have franchised...grrr.

I shop online for practically everything and find it so convenient.

#155537 - 08/08/08 03:01 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: chickadee]
gims Offline

Cookie, that IS one stop shopping - no big need for a gym trip.

#155554 - 08/08/08 04:53 AM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Gee, Cookie...now you know when I lived a different city..I would start off real early in the morning on the bike,...ie. 6:30 pm before 100% humidity and high temperatures hit with smog..get my cycling done.

Then go happily grocery shopping at 8:30 am at a big super grocery store..when hardly anyone was around yet to shop.

Gims, since we only need to usually grocery shop for 2 adults, it is more manageable volume-wise. Since we do alot of it by bike, grocery shopping is all interwoven as a stop just before we get home...after work or after a nice long fitness/recreational ride elsewhere in the city.

It's yes, the long checkout lineups on weekends.. We do shop at the market every weekend and do know specific vendors..so grocery shopping isn't entirely a drag for us.

#155770 - 08/09/08 10:55 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I'm lucky to have so many choices. Walmart -- yuk. Won't go there, period.

I found some great deals at the 99-cent store. Foods -- organic soups and cereals, chai tea, all $3-4 somewhere else. I stock up because they're often one-time deals. An assortment of cleaning products, including name brands. Reading glasses. All sorts of stuff, really, if you're aware of quality.

Poet and essayist

#155771 - 08/09/08 11:03 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: meredithbead]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I think we spend about 500 dollars for two people, but we are not bargin hunters. My husband will shop on base for the items that are used all of the time because the base is very inexpensive. For other things, esp. produce which I eat a lot of, we use a grocery store.
Groceries are getting pretty high, I noticed.

dancer9

"Question your privilege"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved