The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#108435 - 03/28/07 03:35 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: meredithbead]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Meredith,
We love Trader Joe's so much and local shopper of trader joes. I love there merinated Salmon and there meats and all kind of things . My husband can find unsalted nuts there that you can not find any place else for such a good price.

#108436 - 03/28/07 03:42 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: meredithbead]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotise ,
We are a big shopper's of "Wegman's " , now hubby always makes a list and off we go. I have to go up to the Amish market one day . I got the most wonderful barbace chicken there one day . We shop twice a week and stock up on food . Good deal up the road .

Okay I am finished .

#108437 - 03/28/07 07:58 PM Re: Weekly food kitty money & maybe, grocery lists [Re: Sadie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm also a Trader Joe's fan. We have one within walking distance. Yes, they do have great nuts and nut mixes. I'll be sure to get some before a couple of the kids come home for Easter.

Wegman's is a little too far up the beltway for me. I go there on special occasions. I'll probably make a trip for Easter brunch and dinner. I love browing at that store. That's another reason I don't go. It takes too long and I never have much time to browse.

Our Farmer's Market will begin again soon. I can't wait. That is also within walking distance and held only once a week.

#108438 - 08/03/08 09:17 PM $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
How much is your household's monthly grocery bill? Do you have a set max. figure for budgeting purposes?

I was stunned to hear from a newly wed couple who are in their early 30's. 2 months ago they moved from their university dorm residences for graduate students where all meals are prepared as part of the annual accommodation cost there.

Now they are in apartment and living with the reality of grocery shopping, and for him, learning to cook. And he is trying.

they spend $700.00CAN monthly for groceries. They entertain friends at home, once a monh. This cost excludes wine, beer. And does not include the coffees, little snacks that one buys outside of home. Nor does it include occasional restaurant meals.
They have no children.

I was abit shocked. But perhaps my partner and I buy and eat thriftily in the food area. For our monthly groceries it works out at maximum $400.00CAN monthly or under. We do not need to buy from Costcos. Makes no economic sense for just the 2 of us and when we don't have alot of pantry storage rm.

I should add we eat on this budget creative, diverse meals. It's not macaroni and cheese. I honestly believe that we do prepare and eat near gourmet like meals 2-3 times a wk. at home even on such a budget. It's more intuitive understanding of good cooking techniques from West-East cuisines.

Just curious to know...and are you sort of being more budget minded now or spending habits still the same now as it was 20 years ago on food?

Edited by orchid (08/03/08 09:23 PM)

#108439 - 08/03/08 09:39 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: orchid]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Orchid, our monthly runs between $250 to $350US, depending on whether I keep any of the kiddos or not. If it were just me, I could probably live on $100, but my hubby is a wholesome eater...

#108440 - 08/03/08 10:22 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I asked Hubbo, who is the main shopper here, what our monthly total is including meals out. He said maybe $150. We do not eat cheap or junky food -- and other than some TJ's frozen items, not much that's pre-prepared. He is a serious coupon shopper. Our meals are mostly seasonal produce and bulk grains.

Poet and essayist

#108441 - 08/03/08 10:48 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: meredithbead]
Cookie Offline

Just on groceries...food items only? When I shop for groceries, I always buy non-food items at the same time...cat food, paper towels, aspirins, etc. I will have to go through my grocery receipts for the month and see just how much of my bill is on groceries and how much is supplies.

#108442 - 08/03/08 10:55 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: Cookie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Just on groceries...food items only? When I shop for groceries,

Yes, primarily groceries for the food bill. In our household we only buy toilet tissue bundles and paper towels every few months anyway.

Meredith: $150.00 per month for the 2 of you???? Look, I know you and hubby are not running a farm. Do you grow abit of your own veggies, herbs?

During the times, when my partner goes off cycling for 1-2 months on his own, I spend about $200.00 monthly or less for myself on groceries.

No we don't use coupons. But we do buy things on sale if we happen to see and buy whatever is fresh/in season. Sometimes I do shop in Chinatown where one can get an incredible variety of veggies and fruits at excellent prices. 2 litres of name brand milk (with an English local dairy) is cheaper here compared to other supermarkets. I would say at least 10-15% of our grocery bill is spent there. I bought a bag of fresh 12 lichee fruit for under $2.00CAN today.

I always walk out of there, pleased with how much I bought for us.

#108443 - 08/03/08 11:11 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
For instance, Ralph's has a sale this week, pure apple juice 64 oz. (2 liters) for $1 so we bought 20. For non-perishable food, that's how we shop. Luckily we have a lot of storage space.

Bulk grains are much cheaper than buying in boxes. Fresh produce, only in season and local-grown, preferable whatever is on sale this week.

Poet and essayist

#108444 - 08/03/08 11:34 PM Re: $700 monthly grocery bill-2 adults [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Cookie made a point... our $$$ includes cleaning supplies, paper goods, personal hygiene products, lightbulbs and other extras, which can be high $$. For instance, an $11 broom.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved