The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#106880 - 02/07/07 10:39 PM Makeup
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I just noticed that we don't have a topic for beauty so I'll post here.

I have been wearing makeup since I was a teen. I enjoy making myself up for any occassion from day wear to glamour wear.

I'd like to share a couple of ideas with you and maybe you can do the same for me. You may already know these but I thought I'd share anyway.

I fingertip my foundation and use a large fluffy brush to blend from forehead to neck. It makes my face look flawless and is very gentle, unlike fingers rubbing it in.

I apply my lipliner as soon as I finish showering. I brush my teeth BEFORE I shower and my lips are soft, pliable and less wrinkled?;) so there is no bleeding and I fill in the blank space later on. Then I daba bit of shine in center of lower lip, then loose powder so my lipstick stays set for hours.

I use an eyelash curler, always have and thanks to a dear friend, found a way to make it work better. Heat the rubber with your hairdryer before using. Works like a curling iron.

Use orajel if you find tweezing painful.

Dust applied eyeliner with like eyeshadow colour to prevent running later in day.

I always use loose powder as my almost final touch all over. Lastly, I give the second coat of Mascara.

Almost forgot... sharpen all pencils before each use.

Voila, I'm done.

Care to share? Love to know your secrets.

chick

Edited by chickadee (02/07/07 11:00 PM)

#106881 - 02/07/07 10:51 PM Re: Makeup [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Thanks for the ideas. I have never heard of the lipliner right after the shower before. I will try it tommorow morning!

I have worn makeup since I was a teen, too, and seldom go a day without. I never leave the house without at least some makeup - foundation, mascara, blush and a touch of lipstick. I feel so much better when made up a bit.

My tips:

I warm my mascara up before putting it on. A glass of warm water, or (don't get grossed out here - remember mascara is in a closed tube) by putting it in my armpit while I put on my foundation.

I use eyeshadow as an eyeliner for under my eyes, it doesn't run.

I use eye cream on my lips under lipstick. It is a wonderful moisturizer and I seldom have chapped lips.

And, it is not makeup, but I always use a leave in conditioner before drying my hair to prevent damage.

Ann

#106882 - 02/07/07 11:05 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Anno]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
These are all great tips! I don't wear much makeup any more. But when I do, I use liquid foundation applied with a damp makeup sponge. Makes it look sheer and 'dewy'.

After the loose powder, I spritz water on my face to help everything 'set.'
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#106883 - 02/07/07 11:15 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Anno]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I use very little make-up.
I can't say enough about the mineral foundations, tho. I use L'Oréal Paris Bare Naturale. It takes sooooo little and looks sooooo natural.
Immediately after I get out of the shower, when my pores are open, I apply moisturizer. By the time I've detangled my hair, swabbed my ears and applied deodorant, the moisturizer has become part of my face and I can apply the powder foundation. Over that, I put a touch of blush under my cheekbones.
I apply eyeliner pencil and a bit of mascara and I'm good to go.
Occasionally I use a tinted gloss; seldom do I use lip color.
Call me a plain jane if you want... I like simplicity.
The tips are good ones tho, especially the under the arm one... I think I'll do it to see if my DH notices... lol.

#106884 - 02/08/07 12:55 AM Re: Makeup [Re: gims]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I don't wear make-up all the time (I go to the gym 6 mornings per week and there is absolutely NO point in putting on make-up before that as I'd just sweat it off) but I do wear it when we go out or if I'm going someplace with my gal pals or whatever.
I apply moisturizer as soon as I get out of the shower......face first, and then body. I apply an eye cream first, then I use a regenerating serum on my face followed by a moisturizer with sunscreen. By the time I've dried my hair, face is ready to apply makeup. I LOVE Vital Radiance smoothing eye primer.....just a tiny dab before applying eye shadow makes the eyeshadow last all day, and it doesn't end up all in the crease of my eye....it actually stays put! Also like their under-eye concealer.....it has a hyrdator you apply first and then a concealer. I swear it hides under eye shadows very well.
Then a light touch with eye-shadow,and a little eye-liner (I like Cover Girl eyeliner that's like a fine point magic marker, I can get a really thin line with it, and I like the charcoal grey color, with my coloring). Mascara, which I apply, then go over my lashes to seperate them even more with a little spooly brush. A touch of blush on both cheekbones, and I also like the mineral foundations. I tend to be tan year round and I like the Neutrogena bronzer mineral foundation. Just a little bit and it leaves a very natural yet smooth looking finish.
I like the Sally Hansen lip plumper (not so much for the way it plumps lips -- I really can't tell that it does that so much.......as the way it looks and feels) and then a touch of colored lipstick, right now my favorite is a Revlon lipstick.
On days when I don't wear make-up (most of the time!) I still use the eye cream, regenerating serum, and moisturizer. I swear by the regenerating serum, my skin is much smoother than it used to be. Usually I use Olay regenerating serum but I recently got a sample of Patricia Wexler's serum from Bath and Body works and that stuff is fabulous........I may have to switch permanently after I use up my bottle of Olay.

#106885 - 02/08/07 01:00 AM Re: Makeup [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I've never felt comfortable in make up. Always feel like I look like I'm playing dress up. I only do eyebrows and eyelashes. Don't need a lash curling thing cause mine are okay, just too light. I need a good moisturizer. Everyone says to use one but never say which one. Any suggestions?

#106886 - 02/08/07 03:27 AM Re: Makeup [Re: Saundra]
Pam R. Offline

I use Clinque makeup and moisturizer. The one in the yellow square bottle!

I am looking for a good revitalizer for wrinkles!! Never thought I would become so vein but I don't like the circles and wrinkles under my 58 year old eyes!! What do you girls use? Some are very, very expensive. Do you believe all the commercials and ads in magazines? I need a referrel from someone using a good one. Help please!

#106887 - 02/08/07 06:53 AM Re: Makeup [Re: Pam R.]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I only wear makeup maybe less than 20 times per year now. And for me, after using moisturizer, it's foundation, blusher and lipstick. I dislike wearing mascara: my eyes feel more tired. I do curl my hair everyday with a curling iron. I no longer want a perm to ruin the deepness of my black hair.

actually I will wear abit of lipgloss when I cycle for hours or snowshoe/walk around...alot in the sun. Just a convenient lip protector.

#106888 - 02/08/07 10:21 AM Re: Makeup [Re: orchid]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
Did you ever try electric curlers, Orchid? I find they're quicker than a curling iron (and a little less damaging to our hair because there is sort of a cushion on each curler). My hair is really straight...ugh.

#106889 - 02/08/07 10:29 AM Re: Makeup [Re: klmr13]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
I bought Avon's Anew Alternative Intensive Eye Cream for lightening the circles under my eyes a few weeks ago...I don't know whether it's just my imagination, but it does seem to be working!

No offense to regular Avon Ladies, but I always buy my Avon stuff from Avon Ladies on eBay and purchase the products for about half the catalog price.

#106890 - 02/08/07 12:53 PM Re: Makeup [Re: klmr13]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
What do you ladies use for puffiness under the eyes? I've tried a couple different products but haven't seen any good results yet.

#106891 - 02/08/07 01:47 PM Re: Makeup [Re: TVC15]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Oh yes! Great question TVC15. I don't know what has happened to my eyes the past 6 months. I never had wrinkles...and suddenly they are there..Help! Where did they come from? I also discovered that some of those eye creams make the wrinkles even more pronounced and deeper!
And my neck! What is happening to my neck?!!! Creases are appearing from out of space! I assume micro inhabitants are housing in the folds. Can anyone recommend a neck cream; that flattens hilly, fold-like skin like a bomb?!

#106892 - 02/08/07 01:59 PM Re: Makeup [Re: chickadee]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
As I've matured, I've made some changes in my cosmetics, and how I use them. The greatest changes I made, were in the choices of color-shades, in everything. I went to softer, more subtle shades, ones that complimented my natural coloring.

I stopped using face powder in my thirties. I noticed it was giving me a look that seemed to age my appearance. By that time every cosmetic company had come out with foundations that made powdering unnecessary. I found that applying my foundatin, then merely making use of a tissue to blot all over, set the look just right. I've found that powder, even the ones touted as very fine, 'nearly invisible', 'moisture rich', will settle in any little fine line on the face. Many mature women, who think they have oily skin, and need powder, find, that if they change their moisturizer, find one that is absorbed better, into the complexion, as opposed to just sitting on the surface of the skin, they no longer need to powder-down.

I like the creme eye shadows, applied at the minimum, then gently blotted. I'll still use some powder ones, because I like the colors, but I mix a teeny amount of my moisturizer with the powdered shadow, then apply. Dry powder eye shadows, dry powder anything, just makes a mature woman's complexion look flat, and dull-dry. I make use of a coverstick, again, mixed with just a touch of my moisturizer, and apply it only to the very front of the under-eye area, where I tend to have dark circles. I've found that my foundation used alone, at the far corners of my eyes, is enough.

I like the rich, creme, moisture lipsticks. Nothing flat, dry-looking, and matte. Oh, my godness! I recall trying one of the 'all-day-stay' lipsticks, and what it did to my lips was like sucking every drop of moisture from them! Same with the 'all-day-stay' foundations! Can you imagine, starting to use these in your twenties, and what the effect will be, in your fifties, as to your complexion!

I became fed-up with trying to find a blusher color that worked for me. They were either too dark, or too pale, and the color shade choices left a lot to be desired. I discovered that the color shade of lipstick I used, was perfect as a blush color. I purchase two at a time, one for lips, one for blush. I also use a touch at the eye area, since the colors are ones that are natural, as to my own coloring. I don't use any vivid, or contrasting color shades, at all.

I use a powder-pencil eyeliner, and soften the line. I use a touch of mascara, and switched gears, years ago, going from a black, to a black/brown color shade, for both eyeliner and mascara. It gives me a softer look. I stopped wearing mascara on the bottom lashes, too 'doll-eyed' a look.

My brows I have always kept more natural, as to their look. Plucking or waxing the brows to a hard, thin line can give a mature woman an aged, dated look. My eldest daughter, age 35, has stopped doing her brows in this manner. It has been her look since her twenties, and she's finding that now the practice is actually making her look older, hardening her appearance.

Someone mentioned the Vital Radiance line of cosmetics, by REVLON? I liked many of their products too, especially liked the color shade choices. Imagine my surprise, when I discovered the line was discontinued, at the end of 2006! Financial woes are besetting REVLON. Oh, you will still be able to find the poducts, probably for awhile, but, what a shame! I especially liked their website, featuring REAL women age 50 and over, wearing the products, as models. Unfortunately, REVLON has really made none of the miracle, anti-aging claims, as to the majority of their products, like so many of their competitors, for instance, L'Oreal. Possibly, a major mistake, for REVLON? Is that what an aging woman wants, being sold on a 'miracle in a bottle'?

Muddying the Fountain of Youth

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#106893 - 02/08/07 02:12 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Jeannine]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Jeannine, for years I searched for the right foundation. Cheap, expensive, you name it, I tried it and wasn't happy with any of them. Then, I found Estee Lauder Futurist. Love it! I makes my skin look so smooth and pretty.

If I'm not going out, I will use foundation, bronzer as a blush and mascara. I find myself using less and less make up because, as you said, it ages me. No powder for me either.

Revlon. Grrr....I used to know the Pres of Revlon and she was an amazing woman. Of course, they found a way to get rid of her and the new MEN who took over, dumped Cindy Crawford because she was too old. I stopped buying their products at that time.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#106894 - 02/08/07 04:16 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Dianne]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
If we are going to talk about makeup then I HAVE to join in! I used to buy a hodge-podge of materials at the local Walmart, including moisturizer but never felt very good about my appearance. During my divorce, I never wore anything except on Sundays to save $$. By the time I was divorced (took 2 yrs) my skin was in a terrible mess! Red and splotchy, with dark brown patches ran across jaw line and down the sides of my neck and met in the center in a huge brown circle at the base of my neck! My skin was rough and my neck felt like 'chicken skin' all bumpy.

I was invited to a Mary Kay Skin Care Class and was AMAZED! After just that one session my skin felt so much smoother--no over the counter products had worked so well. I was so impressed I started my own Mary Kay business!

Now 5 months later, my skin is soft and smooth. The red and blotchy look is gone. The dark brown patches along my jawline have disappeared. The brown patches on the side of my neck have almost completely disappeared. The dark brown patch at the base of my neck has reduced in size and is no longer brown but a light red color. I can wear a necklace again and not be embarrassed!

My routine is Mary Kay 3-1 Cleanser at night followed by Mary Kay Even Essence which works to eliminate the red and blotchy problems, followed by Mary Kay Time-Wise Night Solution which works to repair damage from sun and age--works miracles on deep lines! I use Mary Kay Firming Eye Cream around my eyes to brighten and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.

In the morning I cleanse with Mary Kay Time-Wise 3 in 1 Cleanser, follow with Mary Kay Even Essence, followed by Mary Kay Time-Wise Day Solution with SPF25 (works to energize cells and protect against sun damage), top with Mary Kay Time-Wise Age-Fighting Moisturizer.

Sounds like a lot but it is applied in such thin layers that all you feel is soft smooth skin. My fines lines and wrinkles are nearly non-existent--even my pores appear smaller!

I use Mark Kay Medium Coverage Foundation, their powder blush and eye colors. I use Mary Kay Ultimate Mascara and a lash curler--never heard about warming the rubber strip-will try it! I use MK lip liner sometimes but usually just Mary Kay Signature Creme Lipstick and Mary Kay Signature Nourishine Lip Gloss.

For the first time ever, I look and feel pretty, I have confidence that I look put together and that I am wearing the right colors/shades. My skin is soft, smooth and radiant but I have gotten rid of the oily yuck that I always dealt with. After 50 years I have finally learned that oily skin isn't always oily--sometimes it's overcompensating for being dry! Guess what?! My skin was actaully dry and screaming for moisture! Who knew?!

I am thoroughly sold on Mary Kay and their products. Since I use them daily I am confident they will work for everyone. Mary Kay trains women to help other women with their skin care needs, so you have the ability to ass questions and get the right help and products for your skin. And if something isn't working right, you can call your Mary Kay Consultant and she will exchange it and help you find the right combination that works for you.

If any of you are frustrated with your skin care, please feel free to contact me, or a Mary Kay Consultant near you. I am here to help!

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#106895 - 02/08/07 06:43 PM Re: Makeup [Re: starting over]
Cookie Offline

Great topic! I am always interested in tips on makeup and skin care. I too, have worn makeup since I was a teenager. I wear a light liquid foundation, eye shadow, mascara, and lipstick & sometimes a little blush. I also use to wear face powder and black mascara, but have stopped using the powder years ago, and have changed to using a dark brown mascara. How do you all feel about the age defying makeup?? I personally don't like it. It looks and feels too heavy on my face. I look....made up! Another way to curl eye lashes is to use your dryer. Put it on low and blow them upward after you have applied mascara. Works pretty good. I have natural curly hair, but not eyelashes. They are as straight as can be!

I have tried lots of different creams and moistures over the years, but always seem to go back to Ponds. Works as good as anything for me. I don't use soap to wash my face neither. Remember Noxzema? When I was a teenager, I use to use that everynight after washing my makeup off my face before going to bed.

#106896 - 02/08/07 07:18 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Cookie]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I've used L'Oreal for years. Being a child of the 60's, I had to have full face makeup on at all times. Some residule of that still haunts me - but hate having to put it on daily. As I age, my pores have enlarged - so using foundation just looks pitiful - glops of color pool in the pores.

I have been using a mineral powder for overall coverage - that's it. A little blush, eye brow powder to fill in the gaps from overplucking (rememeber when a full set of eyebrows were a no-no?? I'm still paying for that.)I line the upper lid with a taupe pencil and smudge it practically off, then just one coat of mascara.

I have smokers lines around my mouth (which nearly killed me - appeared overnight after going off of premrin..... The sad part is that I quit smoking 30 years ago - guess the damage was already done.) So, I wear a light beige lip color - no need draw further attention to the wrinkles, but need a little color more now than when I was younger.

I probably spend as much time as before. I remember my dear mom - I knew that she was loosing it when she stopped putting on her eyebrows. Of course, she was in her 80's - before vanity no longer was a big deal. That means I have another 20 years to go

#106897 - 02/08/07 07:42 PM Re: Makeup [Re: browser57]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I wear no makeup when I'm at home, since I am allergic to mascara. I can only wear it for about 6 to 8 hours, then my eyes begin itching. I wait until right before I leave before I apply it.

I'm seeing a dermatologist for rosacea and have that under control now.

I use a pencil to line my lips, then fill it in with the pencil also. It lasts much longer.

I recently noticed that my cover-up stuff was too thick and stopped using it under my eyes. I just use foundation now and that does the trick.

There is some stuff from Lancome that lightens and smooths out the under the eye area. I can't remember what it's called. I had to stop using it because it's $50.

laurapoplin.com

#106898 - 02/08/07 07:55 PM Re: Makeup [Re: browser57]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi. Starting Over, what a great testimony to MK. And to hear you say that you look and FEEL pretty is wonderful! Browse, vanity comes at any age. My grandmother is 100. When I was taking care of her, she told me to go get her magnifying mirror and bring it to her along with her tweezers. She peered into the mirror and plucked her chin hairs. Then she asked me to tell her if she had missed any! As I age, I am getting a full face of fuzzy hairs, including the course chin hairs. Dianne, you would look pretty with a bag over your head! Cookie, I remember Noxema. My grandmother would tell me to put it on my pimples. It's funny that after 30 years she had the exact same jar of Noxema in her bathroom. Yes, it was the same jar! The one she kept at her house for me and my zits. The cream turned yellow, but it smelled the same! Right now I am using Olay products. I saw TV infomercial conducted by Cindy Crawford for meaningfulbeauty products. You pay about $30.00 every 2 months for a LOT of products that come in the mail. I was almost sold. The two worst things of being a teen beauty queen was 1) my mother teaching me to shave my legs because the hairs were curling under the panty hose that I needed to wear for Confirmation 2) my mother taking me to her hairdresser for my first eyebrow tweeze and shape. As far as I am concerned, I would have never tweezed my brows. Now it seems as though the dark hairs on my legs have transferred to my face, and I don't have to shave my legs so often. Or maybe I'm just not wearing panty hose so much! Anyway, I am getting grey/white hairs on my brows. If I pluck them, I'll have nothing left. Oh, what to do! I bought some Clarins cream yesterday that promises to reduce the appearance of pores and wrinkles. I don't believe it, but I bought it anyway. I don't wear blush anymore. If I were on a desert island the one item I would want to have is my eyelash curler. I never heard of heating it, but it makes sense!

#106899 - 02/08/07 10:27 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Princess Lenora]
gims Offline

Remember to work from the inside out...
Green Tea antioxidants reduce inflammation and protect cell membranes. Green tea also high in polyphenols to eliminate cancer-causing free radicals. The polyphenol, EGCG, is the "fountain of youth" for skin, reactivating dying skin cells. Also has vitamins C, D, K, riboflavin, zinc, calcium, magnesium and iron.

Wild salmon (fatty fish), walnuts and flaxseed are high in healthy fatty acids that are key for achieving healthy skin. Also have protein, potassium, selenium and vitamin B12.

Blueberries are a food source high in antioxidants. Antioxidants and phytochemicals in blueberries neutralize DNA-damaging free radicals. Also have soluble and insoluble fiber, vitamin C, manganese, vitamin E and riboflavin.

Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, required nutrient for healthy skin and are high in antioxidants. Also have fiber, biotin, vitamins K, C and B6, potassium and thiamine.

Water helps keep your skin young and healthy-looking; should be pure, clean water... hydrates cells and helps them move toxins out and nutrients in.

#106900 - 02/09/07 12:52 AM Re: Makeup [Re: gims]
Saundra Offline

I eat and drink those things, have for years, gimster. Guess what, still aging! I saw a tv news program where they were comparing moisturizers and other face products. They said Olay Regeneris cream was one of the least expensive and one of the best. Anyone tried it before I buy it?
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#106901 - 02/09/07 02:32 AM Re: Makeup [Re: Saundra]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Saundra, I've been using the Olay products because they are cheap and easy to come by. I can put them in my cart when I go to Sam's. I don't think it makes a bit of difference, but then I don't know what I would see if I did not use the products. My neck is the worst feature of aging. I drink lots of water.

#106902 - 02/09/07 04:43 AM Re: Makeup [Re: Princess Lenora]
gims Offline

Saundra, of course you are still aging, but what would you be looking like if you hadn't been eating those things for years. You radiate beauty, so you must be doing something right. I can tell when I've been eating poorly. The elasticity in my skin isn't the same. In fact, the skin under my eyes droop when I've eaten junk versus nutritious foods. Of course, genes have a great deal to do with skin condition, too.
I switch between Olay and Nivea moisturizers, Nivea being my fav. I use Olay in the hot summer months, because it doesn't seem to be as heavy. I've not tried the Regeneris, but have thought about it.

Some of you might have seen this Dove online video, if not take a peak...
http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/flat4.asp?id=6909
They have a new one coming out with 5 or 6 women over 50 bearing their bodies.

Editing to add 'found it', the link to the new Dove pro`age ad with women over 50:
http://www.doveproage.com/?source=dove_a

Edited by gimster (02/09/07 05:22 AM)

#106903 - 02/09/07 06:22 AM Re: Makeup [Re: klmr13]
orchid Offline

Quote:

Did you ever try electric curlers, Orchid? I find they're quicker than a curling iron (and a little less damaging to our hair because there is sort of a cushion on each curler). My hair is really straight...ugh.

Haven't tried electric rollers..it just looks like too much work/time. I spend 8 min. in early morning with curling iron. It's just before 5:00 am when I'm doing my hair.

I have noticed because of gradual sun exposure even despite sun bloc, my face skin has grown darker enough that it is abit of a challenge to find a brightening blusher without it looking garish or too dark, as if someone slapped me across the cheekbone.

I do have straight hair, but thankfully it's fine and there's lots of it. It grows fast...so a good, chic haircut is the best beauty thing I could do to uplift my whole face. Enough that alot of guys at work will notice and compliment when I get a haircut. And this is possible..with absolutely no makeup. No I don't have smooth, flawless skin. I've reached a point where keeping fit and maintaining healthy weight is far more important.

Believe me, when the nerd-girl from decades ago, discovers a sport she loves, makeup fades in importance.

#106904 - 02/09/07 08:58 AM Re: Makeup [Re: orchid]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I am 50, but I easily pass for 25-30 according to
those who meet me for the first time, such as last night
when my middle daughter's new boyfriend met me for the first time.
They are each 33.

My routine:

If it is just a regular day, I only use stick foundation and
lip gloss. I hate goopy liquid foundations and my lips are a
natural mauve which a good gloss enhances.

If I have somewhere special to go to, or an evening event, then
I actually use some smoky plum or chocolate eyeshadow by MAC.

I have not used mascara in 22 years. Instead, artfully applied
smoky eyeshadow and brown Colorstay eyeliner will do the trick.
If I really want to have some fun, or am going to be on camera
then I put on false eyelashes. When on sale in Hawaii, the good
brand is just a dollar and it is so easy to apply.

If I use lipstick, I tend to use berry colors.

Eyebrows...I don't do a thing to them as they seem just right and
I wear wispy bangs just touching the top of them, so they really
do not need enhancement.

Under the eyes...I rarely line the lower lids because that only
draws attention to any possible flaws under the eye.

I use Avon and Neutrogena eye creams when necessary.

I love browsing the make-up departments tho!

Cindy

#106905 - 02/09/07 07:51 PM Re: Makeup [Re: diamond50]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Tim Allen said his wife spends a lot of time plucking her eyebrows and then, fills in the space again with eyebrow pencil. He's so funny.

I get so many free samples from my husband's profession so I'm not sure what has worked and what hasn't. Right now I'm using Arbonne and very happy with it. Mary Kay is wonderful also.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#106906 - 02/09/07 09:12 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Dianne]
chickadee Offline

Clinique has a pore minimizer that I use on one spot on my face. I have ONE large pore, can you believe it. Someone posted about large pores, so I thought I'd mention it.

I have long hair and I don't brush or comb it until it is completely dry. No damage to ends that way. I use a lot of conditioner.

chick

#106907 - 02/09/07 09:42 PM Re: Makeup [Re: chickadee]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Whaaaat? diamond 50? You are 50 and people think you are 25?
Can you post a picture of yourself? Let's see! Let's see!!!!

I can guarantee you all, how you can get tons of compliments on your looks, within minutes! Just add at least 10 more years to your age.

#106908 - 02/09/07 11:25 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Edelweiss]
Saundra Offline

Again, Hannelore, you're too much! Gimster, I got some bad genes from both parents. Nothing I can do about it. But you're right, who knows how bad it could be if we didn't try all the gunk we try. I'm going to Walmart (I know) tomorrow after work and will buy the OLAY and check out Nivea. Thanks. I love the Dove commercials. Real Women! Chick, ONE pore? Are you sure?

#106909 - 02/09/07 11:57 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Saundra]
chickadee Offline

One LARGE pore, the rest are smaller than that ONE, but they are there.
I use moisturizer that I purchased from our Danita.

chick

#106910 - 02/10/07 12:33 AM Re: Makeup [Re: chickadee]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Interestingly enough, a friend told me today that Consumer Reports magazine did an article rating wrinkle reducing creams last month......I looked online and found it:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cu-pr...searchTerm=Olay

They rated Oil Of Olay as one of the best! I KNEW I liked the way that Olay Regenerist stuff works!

#106911 - 02/10/07 01:02 AM Re: Makeup [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
chickadee Offline

My Mom used oil of olay forever and she had beautiful skin. I used it up until last year. I think I'm going to go back to it again. Thanks for posting the link.

chick

#106912 - 02/10/07 01:32 AM Re: Makeup [Re: chickadee]
Saundra Offline

I read the link article. Does it always have to be 3 items? I just want a moisturizer. Today I learned that one woman at work pays $16 for her lipstick, another $27 for her mascara. These prices are out of my price range right now. I love Danita's products but they're out of my range too. The price of beauty has gone up. I'm not even looking for beauty. I'm looking to preserve what's left! I'll get one OLAY product.

#106913 - 02/10/07 05:43 AM Re: Makeup [Re: klmr13]
Mercy09 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I love to glamour up! I have a moisturizer routine. Vaseline intensive care lotion. I guess I've used it for 30 or more years now! After the shower face & total body. If I wake up in the night I moisturize hands and face then head back to sleep. I love to go to the MAC counter or store. I use their foundation and blush. I like Mabeline Royal Blue Mascara and have used it since high school. It is my signature look. I have blue eyes and it is a subtle compliment. I love to watch women of all ages and stages at a make-up counter or beauty shop. It is just such a joy to see the body language that results from a little glamour.

#106914 - 02/10/07 06:35 AM Re: Makeup [Re: Mercy09]
gims Offline

Quote:

Each tester used a product on one side of her face and the lab’s standard moisturizer on the other side for comparison.

Wonder what the "lab's standard moisturizer" was. And, what about the infomercials for the skin products that were developed by dermatologists? Or the ones claiming to have dermatologists involved in the formulations and testings? A couple come to mind - not the product line name, but the infomercials.

#106915 - 02/10/07 11:39 PM Re: Makeup [Re: gims]
Saundra Offline

Walmart had everything but the Olay Regenerist moisturizer and no Nivea. I read the ingredients on the other Regenerist stuff and they scared me.

#106916 - 02/11/07 01:50 AM Re: Makeup [Re: Saundra]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chick and Dianne, I also use all Arbonne products on my face that I buy from Danita. Ladies, all NABBW women get a discount from Danita. Anyway, prior to using her products, I really had no routine for skin care. Now, I don't think I could live without them. I LOVE their orange line, I forget what's it's called but it makes my skin feel great. I highly recommend those products. I know they're pricey, but that's one way I spoil myself and it feels so good!

I also use Mary Kay hand products that I get from starting over.

I'm sure either of the gals would love to see you soemthing!

#106917 - 02/11/07 05:55 AM Re: Makeup
diamond50 Offline

Hannelore, I know I should post a pic, and will sooner or later.
Come here to Hawaii, but don't wait too long LOL!

#106918 - 02/11/07 11:43 AM Re: Makeup [Re: diamond50]
Emyjay Offline

I am loving this thread! I also noticed that there wasn't a forum for rating skin care or for make-up tips.

Myself, I have always used a good skincare line. Mary Kay, Clinique, etc. Now I'm a "Philosophy Girl," mainly, but use L'Occitane Shea Butter products, too. It depends upon whether my skin feels dry. I highly recommend L'Occitane's Hand Cream. Excellent.

I buy most of my stuff from Sephoria, but do order from QVC, especially when L'Occitane or Philosophy has a special.

Also, some of the Philosophy products are available in economy sizes on QVC. If you don't like to shop on the air, just go on their web site. Nordstroms also sells Philosophy. Prices are the same at Sephoria and Nordstrom and on QVC, unless there is a special, as I mentioned before.

For eyes: Philosophy's eye creams in the tubes -- I use all three.

As you can tell, I'm more interested in the best "canvas" I can have at age 58. Make-up -- liquid or minerals -- seems to accentuate my laugh lines, frown lines. (Okay, it gets into my little lines and makes them look like wrinkles!) : )

So, I avoid all powders, except I do use a color of
powder eyeshadow I get from Sephoria.

I never leave the house without my Philosophy moisturizers, eyeliner (easy on this) but I'm blond and look like I'm fading away without it; mascara (use Dior - pay for it but it really is nice and worth it); I do my eyebrows - good for lifting the eyes as we age.

Basically, I do my eyes and use a bit of blush and use the same blush on my lips followed by lip gloss. I want an almost natural look.

Thanks so much for the warm up the mascara tip and all of the other great tips offered on this thread!

This is a fun thread!

Emily in Maryland

#106919 - 02/11/07 12:46 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Emyjay]
Emyjay Offline

Oh, I forgot to mention that about five years ago, I discovered how important exfoliation is and how much better my skins absorbs moisturizers when I do this procedure.

I use Philosophy's Micorodelivery Peel once a week - smells like oranges - and every single day, I use St. Eve's mild, Apricot Scrub. This is available at Walmart's and most drug stores.

What a difference exfoliation makes. If dead skin cells are sitting on your skin, how can any moisturizer work? Well, that's how I reasoned out the need to do the peels, etc.

I'm in total agreement with, oh my gosh, a senior moment - can't recall her name - about working on your skin from the inside out.

Gotta eat right, no smoking, no sun (one of my routine moisturizers has a sunscreen), plenty of water and veggies.

Basically, as I age, I just want to look the best I can and I'm having a good time trying. I will spend money on products that work on my skin. That's the key: every body is different, everyone's skin needs what it needs. But, as - oh, is there a memory cream out there - as our friend said, the bottom line is eating healthy and drinking plenty of healthy fluids.

Oh, and I've also heard that putting moisture in your living space is great for the skin. A good humidifier probably is a great beauty investment.

Emily in Maryland

#106920 - 02/26/07 07:37 AM Re: Makeup [Re: Emyjay]
chickadee Offline

Emjay, which shadow is it that you use. Someone told me that urban decay is the best shadow on the market these days. I buy it for my grand daughter on line at Sephoria but not for myself. Has anyone tried it?

chick

#106921 - 03/01/07 03:42 AM Re: Makeup [Re: chickadee]
orchid Offline

I use Almay or Marcelle, oil-free moisturizer--- when I don't forget. I have never worn eye-shadow. Some Asian eyes can be a challenge so I never bothered.

I do wear makeup if I dress up..seems every few years, I wear less and less makeup.

My greatest defense is not makeup but: lots of sleep (which I'm lacking abit at this time in life), eating healthily (which isn't always true), exercise, sunblock and a good haircut to lift my whole face up...I desperately need a haircut in about 3 wks.

My skin tone has changed in the past few decades, that I need a more vivid blusher ....pale peach does not show up on my skin.

#106922 - 03/01/07 05:21 AM Re: Makeup [Re: orchid]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I've worn makeup since I was 13. My mom taught me a great trick...vaseline. When I was 13 I put it on my lips, eyebrows and eyelashes. It was cheap and just accented them a little.

Now a few years later...I don't moisturize my body, just my face. I shave "everywhere", rub olive oil on my face and neck, use white under my eyes and on either side of my nose and foundation on face and neck.

I use plumping lipstick, stings a little but does the job. I line my lips with dark plum and use two shades of eyeshadow, black eyeliner (liquid kind), mascara to lengthen, no curler and the thing I like most is the accentuation of my cheeks and chin with a contrasting color.

I couldn't even tell you what brands I buy because I just buy what looks good on the shelf. My daughter swears by Mac Makeup. I've used hers while she was away and really didn't see that much difference and hers costs $35 a bottle for a tiny little bit.

#106923 - 03/01/07 05:27 AM Re: Makeup [Re: NewLeaf]
NewLeaf Offline

Ps...a few weeks ago I went to the flea market and bought a bottle of perfume. Before buying it I must have tried on 10 or more. This stuff is called Feramone and purports to attract the opposite sex like crazy!! You can look it up online...

Anyway, I bought it, showered and bathed in Feramone before going out with my husband for the evening. He owns two cats, a male and a female.

I strutted my stuff into his house and leaned on the counter in my most seductive way. He sniffs and says, did you spray for hornets before coming here? Meantime, the male cat wanders into the kitchen swaggering up to me and mewing a silent mew, blinking his eyes and rubbing my legs.
He jumped up into my arms and began rubbing around my face. He wouldn't leave me alone and he's not usually like that!

I laughed to tears and explained to my husband what I had done. We both got a good one out of my near fatal attraction.

#106924 - 03/01/07 08:44 AM Re: Makeup [Re: NewLeaf]
diamond50 Offline

I love MAC. I just bought their "Lip Glass" gloss in a shade called Pop Mode.
This Lip Glass line really does wonders! Now my daughters and their friends
have bought the same in different shades.
Cindy

#106925 - 03/01/07 08:54 AM Re: Makeup [Re: diamond50]
NewLeaf Offline

Diamond, if I were going to subscribe to a cosmetic line MAC would be it. Its just that a large jar of vaseline comes in handy in so many ways and its cheap, cheap.

Consider the many uses for vaseline: lubricant, door squeak squelcher, diaper rash barrier, lip gloss, put it on your hands and feet with gloves and socks overnight and presto, softness.

When the boss or the car dealership or the repairman or the garage gives you the pink slip or the bill...well, you know.

Seriously though, MAC is good and I also like Lancome.

#106926 - 03/01/07 01:27 PM Re: Makeup [Re: NewLeaf]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Funny, I've never bought Mac for myself, but now I see they are marketing to boomer women. I've always thought of it as a shop for younger gals. My daughter gets some of her makeup there. I've given her their gift certificates the past two Christmas's. I need to take a second look for myself.

NewLeaf, Chatty's also an olive oil gal if I remember correctly. She swears it's great for the skin.

#106927 - 03/01/07 03:06 PM Re: Makeup
Emyjay Offline

Chick,

I use a very pale pink, simmery powder eye shawdow from Bare Essencials, that I purchase from QVC or Sephoria. I'll get it from Sephoria first, if they have it in stock

The color is called Trust. Since I'm older, I cannot use any matte powder. The shimmer in this is just right, not gaudy or too young looking. I put a smidge in the top of the little jar, dip my brush in, tap, and apply lightly.

The pink is a good pick-your-face-up-color and also intensifies my blue eyes.

I also use a Smashbox tint stick, called Infrared. I use that "fat" color stick as my blush, lipstick and also use a smidge of it on my eye lids, when I want more color if I'm going out.

It looks "red" in the tube, but you can adjust the intensity of the color by just using less and the color looks natural. This is a great way to coordinate lips, cheeks, eyes. I think it's a nice look for "maturing" women, or older boomers like me. And it lasts forever.

Questions: doesn't olive oil have a scent? Do you apply the Vaseline on top of a coat of mascara?

Love these tips, ladies!

Emily in Maryland, who needs to cut down on cosmetic expenditures and use "natural" moisturizers and who needs other $ saving tips, like Vaseline

#106928 - 03/01/07 05:44 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Emyjay]
NewLeaf Offline

It does have a scent Emyjay, but after applying it seems to go away. I first learned about it as a body lotion from Jerri Hall (sp?) the model ex-wife of Mick Jagger.

I gave it a try and its cheap and versatile. Vaseline over the finished lashes. Lash "hair" is coarse so it works somewhat like pomade on coarse hair.

Love these ideas, thanks ladies.

#106929 - 03/01/07 05:59 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Emyjay]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
I'm 55 and have tried products from practically every cosmetic line. I have my favorites, but I will experiment with new ones. My main focus, when shopping now for cosmetics, is 'color choice'.

I like the look I achieve by making use of my lipcolors for blushes and for a touch of color at the eye area. I use only colors that are close to my natural coloring, no contrasting, vivid, or bold, bright colors. My lipstick colors are in the realm of my own lip color, and I like a touch of gloss. When viewed, I do not want the viewer noticing my makeup, at all. I want them to see, me. Soft and subtle, that's my motto.

I have two different approaches, to my making-up. One for daytime, one for nighttime. During the day, it’s a bit of foundation, a touch of concealer, I will softly line my upper lid, I use a powder-pencil eyeliner, and will also line the bottom of the eye, beginning just at the center, and running to the far corner of the eye. Then I soften both upper and lower lines, so they are not starkly blatant. I apply the Sophia Loren trick, of doing a subtle shadow-shading in the crease of the lid. This is a soft, barely visible shading. No mascara during the day, but a bit of lipcolor, with gloss, for my lips. I use a bit of the same lip color for subtle blush.

Nighttime is a bit different. I will use eye shadow, in the color range for my natural skin tone- Peach, Peach/Brown, Rose, Rose/Brown, Soft Beige, Taupe, Pale Mink, etc. I like the crème shadows, applied sparingly. I try to avoid any shimmery or sparkle shadows, as these can greatly exaggerate skin texture, and any puffiness one might have in the upper eye area. I don't use dry, matte shadows, at all. I may add a touch of the nighttime lip color (a richer shade than the daytime color) at the eye area as well, faintly, at the brow area, and I use the same color for blush, and a touch, very soft, very light, at the sides of my forehead, just near my hairline. I line my eyes, as mentioned above, and I’ll use mascara on the upper lashes. I don’t put mascara on the bottom lashes, to avoid the ‘doll-eyed’ look.

All color shades I choose today are softer, more subtle than the shades I chose in my thirties, even my forties. These aren’t faded-out colors, merely more subdued, more natural, and more flattering to the mature complexion.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#106930 - 03/02/07 05:10 AM Re: Makeup at MAC & vaseline TOO [Re: Jeannine]
Mercy09 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I love MAC make-up and I love standing across the hall from the MAC store just drinking a coffee and watching. It is incredible to see the rhythem in people as they get made-up their body posture changes. This is especially fun at Prom Season.
Vaseline-I buy it by the six-pack...coat my feet put on sox and sleep my way to softer feet. I often do my hands and wear sox on my hands to sleep and soften them. I coat my heels before I put on two layers of sox for the gym.
I also give my hubby/soulmate vaseline and sox feet treatments as a love cuddle.
Ok enough, well one more admission...I keep a small roller tube for lips in the car, in coat pockets, in my lunchbox, desk drawer and again a six pack of the stuff around!

#106931 - 03/02/07 04:46 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Jeannine]
NewLeaf Offline

I'm going to the mall today for new tennis shoes. I think I'll pop by the MAC counter for a makeover...

I may have to change my whole routine.

#106932 - 03/03/07 12:44 AM Re: Makeup [Re: NewLeaf]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
What is MAC makeup? Do you mena Max Factor?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#106933 - 03/03/07 08:45 AM Re: Makeup [Re: chatty lady]
diamond50 Offline

MAC is a really nice makeup line. There are MAC stores in malls and
MAC counters in department stores. The customer service is great, too.
Cindy

#106934 - 03/03/07 12:56 PM Re: Makeup [Re: diamond50]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Jeannine, Your post is so helpful. I have so much to learn in this area.

Emy, you mentioned Sephoria. That's so funny because Ijust saw their stores for the first time in NYC this week. Are there any in MD?

Mercy, I have an extra pair of gloves for you to wear at night instead of the socks on your hands. For some reason I have a couple pairs and I never think to use them. I'll give them to ya next time I see ya.

Also, this past month, I've begun giving my hubby foot massages too. How about that?

I'm not a Vaseline user. I may have to reconsider after all these good ideas.

#106935 - 03/03/07 01:54 PM Re: Makeup
Emyjay Offline

Dotsie,

There are Sephoria stores in Montgomery Mall, Columbia Mall and another mall here in Montgomery County.

But, I haven't seen any MAC stores. Maybe Sephoria is Mac in your part of Maryland? Maybe they are owned by the same coorporation.

Emily in Maryland, who is looking forward to this afternoon's game at the Comcast Center. Go Terps!!

#106936 - 03/03/07 05:43 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Emyjay]
NewLeaf Offline

Dotsie, my husband absolutely loves foot massages! Puts him to sleep and its just another way to foster intimacy.

Get him to massage your feet! Its heavenly and Vaseline is a good moisturizer for the feet. Gently "twist" his toes from side to side then pull slightly at the ends. The arches are a great place to use the thumbs.

Did you know that there are many organs of the body and systems of the body that can be greatly affected by massagin the feet like the liver, heart, stomach etc?

#106937 - 03/03/07 09:46 PM Re: Makeup [Re: NewLeaf]
chickadee Offline

I know, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Now I know, the way to a man's stomach is through his feet.

chick

#106938 - 03/03/07 09:49 PM Re: Makeup [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Back to Sephora for a minute - they have a great online store, too. And they give away samples every time you purchase.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved