The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#106920 - 02/26/07 07:37 AM Re: Makeup [Re: Emyjay]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Emjay, which shadow is it that you use. Someone told me that urban decay is the best shadow on the market these days. I buy it for my grand daughter on line at Sephoria but not for myself. Has anyone tried it?

chick

#106921 - 03/01/07 03:42 AM Re: Makeup [Re: chickadee]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I use Almay or Marcelle, oil-free moisturizer--- when I don't forget. I have never worn eye-shadow. Some Asian eyes can be a challenge so I never bothered.

I do wear makeup if I dress up..seems every few years, I wear less and less makeup.

My greatest defense is not makeup but: lots of sleep (which I'm lacking abit at this time in life), eating healthily (which isn't always true), exercise, sunblock and a good haircut to lift my whole face up...I desperately need a haircut in about 3 wks.

My skin tone has changed in the past few decades, that I need a more vivid blusher ....pale peach does not show up on my skin.

#106922 - 03/01/07 05:21 AM Re: Makeup [Re: orchid]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I've worn makeup since I was 13. My mom taught me a great trick...vaseline. When I was 13 I put it on my lips, eyebrows and eyelashes. It was cheap and just accented them a little.

Now a few years later...I don't moisturize my body, just my face. I shave "everywhere", rub olive oil on my face and neck, use white under my eyes and on either side of my nose and foundation on face and neck.

I use plumping lipstick, stings a little but does the job. I line my lips with dark plum and use two shades of eyeshadow, black eyeliner (liquid kind), mascara to lengthen, no curler and the thing I like most is the accentuation of my cheeks and chin with a contrasting color.

I couldn't even tell you what brands I buy because I just buy what looks good on the shelf. My daughter swears by Mac Makeup. I've used hers while she was away and really didn't see that much difference and hers costs $35 a bottle for a tiny little bit.

#106923 - 03/01/07 05:27 AM Re: Makeup [Re: NewLeaf]
NewLeaf Offline

Ps...a few weeks ago I went to the flea market and bought a bottle of perfume. Before buying it I must have tried on 10 or more. This stuff is called Feramone and purports to attract the opposite sex like crazy!! You can look it up online...

Anyway, I bought it, showered and bathed in Feramone before going out with my husband for the evening. He owns two cats, a male and a female.

I strutted my stuff into his house and leaned on the counter in my most seductive way. He sniffs and says, did you spray for hornets before coming here? Meantime, the male cat wanders into the kitchen swaggering up to me and mewing a silent mew, blinking his eyes and rubbing my legs.
He jumped up into my arms and began rubbing around my face. He wouldn't leave me alone and he's not usually like that!

I laughed to tears and explained to my husband what I had done. We both got a good one out of my near fatal attraction.

#106924 - 03/01/07 08:44 AM Re: Makeup [Re: NewLeaf]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I love MAC. I just bought their "Lip Glass" gloss in a shade called Pop Mode.
This Lip Glass line really does wonders! Now my daughters and their friends
have bought the same in different shades.
Cindy

#106925 - 03/01/07 08:54 AM Re: Makeup [Re: diamond50]
NewLeaf Offline

Diamond, if I were going to subscribe to a cosmetic line MAC would be it. Its just that a large jar of vaseline comes in handy in so many ways and its cheap, cheap.

Consider the many uses for vaseline: lubricant, door squeak squelcher, diaper rash barrier, lip gloss, put it on your hands and feet with gloves and socks overnight and presto, softness.

When the boss or the car dealership or the repairman or the garage gives you the pink slip or the bill...well, you know.

Seriously though, MAC is good and I also like Lancome.

#106926 - 03/01/07 01:27 PM Re: Makeup [Re: NewLeaf]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Funny, I've never bought Mac for myself, but now I see they are marketing to boomer women. I've always thought of it as a shop for younger gals. My daughter gets some of her makeup there. I've given her their gift certificates the past two Christmas's. I need to take a second look for myself.

NewLeaf, Chatty's also an olive oil gal if I remember correctly. She swears it's great for the skin.

#106927 - 03/01/07 03:06 PM Re: Makeup
Emyjay Offline

Chick,

I use a very pale pink, simmery powder eye shawdow from Bare Essencials, that I purchase from QVC or Sephoria. I'll get it from Sephoria first, if they have it in stock

The color is called Trust. Since I'm older, I cannot use any matte powder. The shimmer in this is just right, not gaudy or too young looking. I put a smidge in the top of the little jar, dip my brush in, tap, and apply lightly.

The pink is a good pick-your-face-up-color and also intensifies my blue eyes.

I also use a Smashbox tint stick, called Infrared. I use that "fat" color stick as my blush, lipstick and also use a smidge of it on my eye lids, when I want more color if I'm going out.

It looks "red" in the tube, but you can adjust the intensity of the color by just using less and the color looks natural. This is a great way to coordinate lips, cheeks, eyes. I think it's a nice look for "maturing" women, or older boomers like me. And it lasts forever.

Questions: doesn't olive oil have a scent? Do you apply the Vaseline on top of a coat of mascara?

Love these tips, ladies!

Emily in Maryland, who needs to cut down on cosmetic expenditures and use "natural" moisturizers and who needs other $ saving tips, like Vaseline

#106928 - 03/01/07 05:44 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Emyjay]
NewLeaf Offline

It does have a scent Emyjay, but after applying it seems to go away. I first learned about it as a body lotion from Jerri Hall (sp?) the model ex-wife of Mick Jagger.

I gave it a try and its cheap and versatile. Vaseline over the finished lashes. Lash "hair" is coarse so it works somewhat like pomade on coarse hair.

Love these ideas, thanks ladies.

#106929 - 03/01/07 05:59 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Emyjay]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
I'm 55 and have tried products from practically every cosmetic line. I have my favorites, but I will experiment with new ones. My main focus, when shopping now for cosmetics, is 'color choice'.

I like the look I achieve by making use of my lipcolors for blushes and for a touch of color at the eye area. I use only colors that are close to my natural coloring, no contrasting, vivid, or bold, bright colors. My lipstick colors are in the realm of my own lip color, and I like a touch of gloss. When viewed, I do not want the viewer noticing my makeup, at all. I want them to see, me. Soft and subtle, that's my motto.

I have two different approaches, to my making-up. One for daytime, one for nighttime. During the day, it’s a bit of foundation, a touch of concealer, I will softly line my upper lid, I use a powder-pencil eyeliner, and will also line the bottom of the eye, beginning just at the center, and running to the far corner of the eye. Then I soften both upper and lower lines, so they are not starkly blatant. I apply the Sophia Loren trick, of doing a subtle shadow-shading in the crease of the lid. This is a soft, barely visible shading. No mascara during the day, but a bit of lipcolor, with gloss, for my lips. I use a bit of the same lip color for subtle blush.

Nighttime is a bit different. I will use eye shadow, in the color range for my natural skin tone- Peach, Peach/Brown, Rose, Rose/Brown, Soft Beige, Taupe, Pale Mink, etc. I like the crème shadows, applied sparingly. I try to avoid any shimmery or sparkle shadows, as these can greatly exaggerate skin texture, and any puffiness one might have in the upper eye area. I don't use dry, matte shadows, at all. I may add a touch of the nighttime lip color (a richer shade than the daytime color) at the eye area as well, faintly, at the brow area, and I use the same color for blush, and a touch, very soft, very light, at the sides of my forehead, just near my hairline. I line my eyes, as mentioned above, and I’ll use mascara on the upper lashes. I don’t put mascara on the bottom lashes, to avoid the ‘doll-eyed’ look.

All color shades I choose today are softer, more subtle than the shades I chose in my thirties, even my forties. These aren’t faded-out colors, merely more subdued, more natural, and more flattering to the mature complexion.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved