The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#106890 - 02/08/07 12:53 PM Re: Makeup [Re: klmr13]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
What do you ladies use for puffiness under the eyes? I've tried a couple different products but haven't seen any good results yet.

#106891 - 02/08/07 01:47 PM Re: Makeup [Re: TVC15]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Oh yes! Great question TVC15. I don't know what has happened to my eyes the past 6 months. I never had wrinkles...and suddenly they are there..Help! Where did they come from? I also discovered that some of those eye creams make the wrinkles even more pronounced and deeper!
And my neck! What is happening to my neck?!!! Creases are appearing from out of space! I assume micro inhabitants are housing in the folds. Can anyone recommend a neck cream; that flattens hilly, fold-like skin like a bomb?!

#106892 - 02/08/07 01:59 PM Re: Makeup [Re: chickadee]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
As I've matured, I've made some changes in my cosmetics, and how I use them. The greatest changes I made, were in the choices of color-shades, in everything. I went to softer, more subtle shades, ones that complimented my natural coloring.

I stopped using face powder in my thirties. I noticed it was giving me a look that seemed to age my appearance. By that time every cosmetic company had come out with foundations that made powdering unnecessary. I found that applying my foundatin, then merely making use of a tissue to blot all over, set the look just right. I've found that powder, even the ones touted as very fine, 'nearly invisible', 'moisture rich', will settle in any little fine line on the face. Many mature women, who think they have oily skin, and need powder, find, that if they change their moisturizer, find one that is absorbed better, into the complexion, as opposed to just sitting on the surface of the skin, they no longer need to powder-down.

I like the creme eye shadows, applied at the minimum, then gently blotted. I'll still use some powder ones, because I like the colors, but I mix a teeny amount of my moisturizer with the powdered shadow, then apply. Dry powder eye shadows, dry powder anything, just makes a mature woman's complexion look flat, and dull-dry. I make use of a coverstick, again, mixed with just a touch of my moisturizer, and apply it only to the very front of the under-eye area, where I tend to have dark circles. I've found that my foundation used alone, at the far corners of my eyes, is enough.

I like the rich, creme, moisture lipsticks. Nothing flat, dry-looking, and matte. Oh, my godness! I recall trying one of the 'all-day-stay' lipsticks, and what it did to my lips was like sucking every drop of moisture from them! Same with the 'all-day-stay' foundations! Can you imagine, starting to use these in your twenties, and what the effect will be, in your fifties, as to your complexion!

I became fed-up with trying to find a blusher color that worked for me. They were either too dark, or too pale, and the color shade choices left a lot to be desired. I discovered that the color shade of lipstick I used, was perfect as a blush color. I purchase two at a time, one for lips, one for blush. I also use a touch at the eye area, since the colors are ones that are natural, as to my own coloring. I don't use any vivid, or contrasting color shades, at all.

I use a powder-pencil eyeliner, and soften the line. I use a touch of mascara, and switched gears, years ago, going from a black, to a black/brown color shade, for both eyeliner and mascara. It gives me a softer look. I stopped wearing mascara on the bottom lashes, too 'doll-eyed' a look.

My brows I have always kept more natural, as to their look. Plucking or waxing the brows to a hard, thin line can give a mature woman an aged, dated look. My eldest daughter, age 35, has stopped doing her brows in this manner. It has been her look since her twenties, and she's finding that now the practice is actually making her look older, hardening her appearance.

Someone mentioned the Vital Radiance line of cosmetics, by REVLON? I liked many of their products too, especially liked the color shade choices. Imagine my surprise, when I discovered the line was discontinued, at the end of 2006! Financial woes are besetting REVLON. Oh, you will still be able to find the poducts, probably for awhile, but, what a shame! I especially liked their website, featuring REAL women age 50 and over, wearing the products, as models. Unfortunately, REVLON has really made none of the miracle, anti-aging claims, as to the majority of their products, like so many of their competitors, for instance, L'Oreal. Possibly, a major mistake, for REVLON? Is that what an aging woman wants, being sold on a 'miracle in a bottle'?

Muddying the Fountain of Youth

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#106893 - 02/08/07 02:12 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Jeannine]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Jeannine, for years I searched for the right foundation. Cheap, expensive, you name it, I tried it and wasn't happy with any of them. Then, I found Estee Lauder Futurist. Love it! I makes my skin look so smooth and pretty.

If I'm not going out, I will use foundation, bronzer as a blush and mascara. I find myself using less and less make up because, as you said, it ages me. No powder for me either.

Revlon. Grrr....I used to know the Pres of Revlon and she was an amazing woman. Of course, they found a way to get rid of her and the new MEN who took over, dumped Cindy Crawford because she was too old. I stopped buying their products at that time.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#106894 - 02/08/07 04:16 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Dianne]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
If we are going to talk about makeup then I HAVE to join in! I used to buy a hodge-podge of materials at the local Walmart, including moisturizer but never felt very good about my appearance. During my divorce, I never wore anything except on Sundays to save $$. By the time I was divorced (took 2 yrs) my skin was in a terrible mess! Red and splotchy, with dark brown patches ran across jaw line and down the sides of my neck and met in the center in a huge brown circle at the base of my neck! My skin was rough and my neck felt like 'chicken skin' all bumpy.

I was invited to a Mary Kay Skin Care Class and was AMAZED! After just that one session my skin felt so much smoother--no over the counter products had worked so well. I was so impressed I started my own Mary Kay business!

Now 5 months later, my skin is soft and smooth. The red and blotchy look is gone. The dark brown patches along my jawline have disappeared. The brown patches on the side of my neck have almost completely disappeared. The dark brown patch at the base of my neck has reduced in size and is no longer brown but a light red color. I can wear a necklace again and not be embarrassed!

My routine is Mary Kay 3-1 Cleanser at night followed by Mary Kay Even Essence which works to eliminate the red and blotchy problems, followed by Mary Kay Time-Wise Night Solution which works to repair damage from sun and age--works miracles on deep lines! I use Mary Kay Firming Eye Cream around my eyes to brighten and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.

In the morning I cleanse with Mary Kay Time-Wise 3 in 1 Cleanser, follow with Mary Kay Even Essence, followed by Mary Kay Time-Wise Day Solution with SPF25 (works to energize cells and protect against sun damage), top with Mary Kay Time-Wise Age-Fighting Moisturizer.

Sounds like a lot but it is applied in such thin layers that all you feel is soft smooth skin. My fines lines and wrinkles are nearly non-existent--even my pores appear smaller!

I use Mark Kay Medium Coverage Foundation, their powder blush and eye colors. I use Mary Kay Ultimate Mascara and a lash curler--never heard about warming the rubber strip-will try it! I use MK lip liner sometimes but usually just Mary Kay Signature Creme Lipstick and Mary Kay Signature Nourishine Lip Gloss.

For the first time ever, I look and feel pretty, I have confidence that I look put together and that I am wearing the right colors/shades. My skin is soft, smooth and radiant but I have gotten rid of the oily yuck that I always dealt with. After 50 years I have finally learned that oily skin isn't always oily--sometimes it's overcompensating for being dry! Guess what?! My skin was actaully dry and screaming for moisture! Who knew?!

I am thoroughly sold on Mary Kay and their products. Since I use them daily I am confident they will work for everyone. Mary Kay trains women to help other women with their skin care needs, so you have the ability to ass questions and get the right help and products for your skin. And if something isn't working right, you can call your Mary Kay Consultant and she will exchange it and help you find the right combination that works for you.

If any of you are frustrated with your skin care, please feel free to contact me, or a Mary Kay Consultant near you. I am here to help!

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#106895 - 02/08/07 06:43 PM Re: Makeup [Re: starting over]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Great topic! I am always interested in tips on makeup and skin care. I too, have worn makeup since I was a teenager. I wear a light liquid foundation, eye shadow, mascara, and lipstick & sometimes a little blush. I also use to wear face powder and black mascara, but have stopped using the powder years ago, and have changed to using a dark brown mascara. How do you all feel about the age defying makeup?? I personally don't like it. It looks and feels too heavy on my face. I look....made up! Another way to curl eye lashes is to use your dryer. Put it on low and blow them upward after you have applied mascara. Works pretty good. I have natural curly hair, but not eyelashes. They are as straight as can be!

I have tried lots of different creams and moistures over the years, but always seem to go back to Ponds. Works as good as anything for me. I don't use soap to wash my face neither. Remember Noxzema? When I was a teenager, I use to use that everynight after washing my makeup off my face before going to bed.

#106896 - 02/08/07 07:18 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Cookie]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I've used L'Oreal for years. Being a child of the 60's, I had to have full face makeup on at all times. Some residule of that still haunts me - but hate having to put it on daily. As I age, my pores have enlarged - so using foundation just looks pitiful - glops of color pool in the pores.

I have been using a mineral powder for overall coverage - that's it. A little blush, eye brow powder to fill in the gaps from overplucking (rememeber when a full set of eyebrows were a no-no?? I'm still paying for that.)I line the upper lid with a taupe pencil and smudge it practically off, then just one coat of mascara.

I have smokers lines around my mouth (which nearly killed me - appeared overnight after going off of premrin..... The sad part is that I quit smoking 30 years ago - guess the damage was already done.) So, I wear a light beige lip color - no need draw further attention to the wrinkles, but need a little color more now than when I was younger.

I probably spend as much time as before. I remember my dear mom - I knew that she was loosing it when she stopped putting on her eyebrows. Of course, she was in her 80's - before vanity no longer was a big deal. That means I have another 20 years to go

#106897 - 02/08/07 07:42 PM Re: Makeup [Re: browser57]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I wear no makeup when I'm at home, since I am allergic to mascara. I can only wear it for about 6 to 8 hours, then my eyes begin itching. I wait until right before I leave before I apply it.

I'm seeing a dermatologist for rosacea and have that under control now.

I use a pencil to line my lips, then fill it in with the pencil also. It lasts much longer.

I recently noticed that my cover-up stuff was too thick and stopped using it under my eyes. I just use foundation now and that does the trick.

There is some stuff from Lancome that lightens and smooths out the under the eye area. I can't remember what it's called. I had to stop using it because it's $50.

laurapoplin.com

#106898 - 02/08/07 07:55 PM Re: Makeup [Re: browser57]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi. Starting Over, what a great testimony to MK. And to hear you say that you look and FEEL pretty is wonderful! Browse, vanity comes at any age. My grandmother is 100. When I was taking care of her, she told me to go get her magnifying mirror and bring it to her along with her tweezers. She peered into the mirror and plucked her chin hairs. Then she asked me to tell her if she had missed any! As I age, I am getting a full face of fuzzy hairs, including the course chin hairs. Dianne, you would look pretty with a bag over your head! Cookie, I remember Noxema. My grandmother would tell me to put it on my pimples. It's funny that after 30 years she had the exact same jar of Noxema in her bathroom. Yes, it was the same jar! The one she kept at her house for me and my zits. The cream turned yellow, but it smelled the same! Right now I am using Olay products. I saw TV infomercial conducted by Cindy Crawford for meaningfulbeauty products. You pay about $30.00 every 2 months for a LOT of products that come in the mail. I was almost sold. The two worst things of being a teen beauty queen was 1) my mother teaching me to shave my legs because the hairs were curling under the panty hose that I needed to wear for Confirmation 2) my mother taking me to her hairdresser for my first eyebrow tweeze and shape. As far as I am concerned, I would have never tweezed my brows. Now it seems as though the dark hairs on my legs have transferred to my face, and I don't have to shave my legs so often. Or maybe I'm just not wearing panty hose so much! Anyway, I am getting grey/white hairs on my brows. If I pluck them, I'll have nothing left. Oh, what to do! I bought some Clarins cream yesterday that promises to reduce the appearance of pores and wrinkles. I don't believe it, but I bought it anyway. I don't wear blush anymore. If I were on a desert island the one item I would want to have is my eyelash curler. I never heard of heating it, but it makes sense!

#106899 - 02/08/07 10:27 PM Re: Makeup [Re: Princess Lenora]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Remember to work from the inside out...
Green Tea antioxidants reduce inflammation and protect cell membranes. Green tea also high in polyphenols to eliminate cancer-causing free radicals. The polyphenol, EGCG, is the "fountain of youth" for skin, reactivating dying skin cells. Also has vitamins C, D, K, riboflavin, zinc, calcium, magnesium and iron.

Wild salmon (fatty fish), walnuts and flaxseed are high in healthy fatty acids that are key for achieving healthy skin. Also have protein, potassium, selenium and vitamin B12.

Blueberries are a food source high in antioxidants. Antioxidants and phytochemicals in blueberries neutralize DNA-damaging free radicals. Also have soluble and insoluble fiber, vitamin C, manganese, vitamin E and riboflavin.

Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, required nutrient for healthy skin and are high in antioxidants. Also have fiber, biotin, vitamins K, C and B6, potassium and thiamine.

Water helps keep your skin young and healthy-looking; should be pure, clean water... hydrates cells and helps them move toxins out and nutrients in.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved