The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#105177 - 02/18/07 07:32 PM Re: I know 1...Re: Any Quilters? [Re: DebShines]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
The quarter inch foot is a wonderful invention.

18 quilts! Good Lord.

One year I made patchwork blankets for my two sons for Christmas and I thought I was doing good. They weren't quilts. I sewed together 12 inch squares and backed it with fleece. I tacked them instead of quilting them. I used fun fabrics with their interests like, drums, cars, hamburgers and french fries and the like. They have enjoyed them and I didn't worry about how they took care of them since there wasn't alot of work involved.

Laurel

#105178 - 02/24/07 01:10 PM Re: I know 1...Re: Any Quilters? [Re: Laurel]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
The only quilts I've made were out of t-shirts. We had what seemed like hundreds of t-shirts from fishing tournaments. Since my husband is such a fishing fan, it was a good way to use a bunch of them up. Also an easy way to make a quilt, because you cut large squares out of the front of the shirts, to include any design that's on the front. You can either sew the t-shirt squares (after backing them with inner facing) in rows, and then sew the rows together, to make the top of the quilt......or you can put strips of other fabric inbetween the t-shirt squares. After getting the top done and layering it with batting and a fabric backing, I ran diagonal lines thru all layers with my sewing machine, to quilt it, and then put binding around the edges. I've made two of these -- my sister-in-law saved a bunch of my nephew's college t-shirts and I made one out of those, too.
I can handle doing the t-shirt quilts because you work with large pieces of fabric........I have several friends who quilt and work with little tiny pieces of fabric and have to cut what seems like millions of pieces to put together.....that's not for me.
I think I found directions online someplace for t-shirt quilts, I can dig around and see if I can find them again if anyone wants them.
When the finished quilt is on the bed, it's kind of fun to look at it -- every square is a different memory.
Several of my husbands friends who saw the finished product all said they wanted one, and supposedly they're saving their t-shirts for me......but I'm kind of figuring (hoping!!) that none of them will show up with a pile of shirts and expect a quilt..........

Edited by CrosstitchQueen (02/24/07 01:11 PM)

#105179 - 02/24/07 08:23 PM Re: I know 1...Re: Any Quilters? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I have a quilt that my Mom made out of all of my old jeans. She would take them home when she came to visit over the years. She presented me with it about 10 years ago. I don't sleep without it...it's my blankie. One of my few treasures.

chick

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved