The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#103510 - 01/19/07 12:54 PM Your postings can come back to haunt you
KathleenGageSpeaker Offline

Loc: Pleasant Hill, OR
Here's an interesting fact:

35% of executive recruiters, who use the Internet to check out prospects, say they have eliminated candidates based on what they have found online (up from 26% in 2005). Although 82% of job candidates expect recruiters to look them up online, 33% of job candidates have never conducted a Web search on themselves.
Sources: BusinessWeek, June 26, 2006 and March 27, 2006, U.S. News & World Report, December 25, 2006

This is not only for job seekers. It applies to anyone who owns and operates a business. You never know what clients may find that could turn a deal sour.

Before posting information in various social network environments, on blogs or on your website, think about the long-term. Who might see your information?

Think things through before you leap into action with your postings. You will be glad you did.

Kathleen Gage

#103511 - 01/19/07 02:16 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: KathleenGageSpeaker]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I always think it through! This is a great piece of info, Kathleen. Thanks!
NABBW & NAWW

#103512 - 01/19/07 03:28 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Songbird]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Since I'm so old and won't be applying for a job, I think I'm safe!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103513 - 01/19/07 04:35 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Dianne]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Good advice Kathleen!

#103514 - 01/19/07 06:30 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: TVC15]
KathleenGageSpeaker Offline

Loc: Pleasant Hill, OR
Hi Dianne,

It's not just for people applying for jobs. There are all sorts of things that can come back to "haunt" someone. I posted this on another forum and it was amazing some of the things people had exposed about them.

Kathleen

#103515 - 01/19/07 07:14 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: KathleenGageSpeaker]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Writers have to be careful what we put out on the world wide web. We never know when something we write might turn a prospective customer or editor sour. Here is an article I received in an email from Writer's Digest.

BLOGGED AND BURNED
In the February issue of Writer's Digest, writer Sarah Weinman says that sometimes the Internet can be a writer's worst enemy and that you should be careful before "opening up" on your blog.

"Sandra Scoppettone was an award-winning crime and young-adult fiction writer with more than 15 novels to her name. Her blog, sandrascoppettone.blogspot.com, detailed the specifics of her writing life (debates on cover art, anxieties about current projects) with a healthy dose of self-deprecation. It was a diary of her thoughts and opinions for friends and family to enjoy. But not everyone enjoyed it.

"Two Novembers ago, she blogged about her editor's departure from publishing and laid bare her anxieties about her future as a published writer. By day's end, Scoppettone had been pilloried in the comments section of her site—as well as on others' sites—for her `ageist' attitude and for complaining about the lack of follow-through on promised marketing plans. What she believed was an honest, thoughtful post brought her nothing but scorn.

"Did Scoppettone's public comments result in lost sales or, as one commenter put it, `making [herself] look like what editors call a nightmare author'? It's hard to tell, but in an age where bloggers can be fired for blogging on the job, and where a stray comment can be all the incentive necessary to provoke nasty, long-running arguments, writers must pay special attention to what they post."

To read the full article and learn how to work the system, visit:
http://www.writersdigest.com/articles/weinman_
blogged_and_burned.asp

Laurel

#103516 - 01/19/07 07:19 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Laurel]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Really? I have a blog for my parrot. She might get upset with me!

I'll read the article. I do know that I once googled my name and some of the things I had posted here, showed up! Scary.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103517 - 01/19/07 07:22 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Dianne]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Laurel, when I tried the article, it said page not found.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103518 - 01/21/07 01:56 AM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Dianne]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I tried it just last week and it worked. I guess they purge their files after a while.

Here's another example of blogging gone wrong.

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/windows/2007/01/10/burned-by-blogging/

I just tried this one so it should work.

I have a blog and I try really hard not to offend anyone but in this day and age it's almost impossible to please everyone.

Laurel

#103519 - 01/21/07 03:06 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Laurel]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I have a blog for friends and my kids to keep up with me on my new life here. I recently posted some seriously ugly pictures of myself after a laser facial peel. If nothing else, it got them to call me! "Mom, that isn't really you, is it?"

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved