The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#103100 - 01/16/07 06:50 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it?
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I don't know what it is about this place...but you all activate my silly nerve.

Dianne, you can hold a speech here in Bavaria any time. I have an audience already for you;…. me, myself and I... (we won't count Hubby, he can't speak much English) tee hee.
Seriously I have looked up and investigated on getting speaking assignments for Allison. No luck. I just don't have the right strings to pull in that department.

Dotsie, does the vacant apartment belong to you? If so, I'd just furnish it and use it whenever you like. Sounds like a fantastic alternative. Ideally I would like a penthouse in Boston and one in Muenich. Then of course a summer cottage at the Cape, of course right on the ocean, another one in Ireland (near Celtic_Flame and Popea) and Tahiti would be nice ( although I've never been there), oh and a little of Italian Toscana to fill the itinerary.

I know…don't say it.

But if money didn't matter at all and you could bring your families with you, where would you all want to live?

#103101 - 01/16/07 06:59 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Rome preferably but anywhere in Italy will do me just fine...with a weekend home in Sorrento. I have such a fondness for the country and the people. I cry every time I leave it. Don't ask me why. I just do.

#103102 - 01/16/07 08:08 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Lola]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I think France six months out of the year or maybe, just three. I'm a gypsy and can settle in just about anywhere, which I've proven.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103103 - 01/16/07 10:27 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
We downsized over 11 years ago, going from a 2500 sf to a little over 900 sf. However, we gave up sf living area for land. We went from subdivision living to 20 acres of breathing room. Sure, we'd love to have room to entertain indoors more easily. When out of town guests come to visit, we find it hard to accomodate with our one bedroom/one bath. But, if we're entertaining outdoors, we have great advantages. Since we have relocated to the country, we aren't forced to keep our yard to certain specs, either. That, in itself, is a blessing.
We still have "stuff" boxed from 12 years ago. Our children will probably inherit it all in that very condition.

#103104 - 01/17/07 02:52 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: gims]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I think it's interesting to hear how people change their styles of living. Some downsize and love it, some aren't that crazy about it. Some move to larger living quarters while others, like gimster, opt for more outdoor space and give up living space. It's an interesting thread.

#103105 - 01/17/07 08:38 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Lola my husband has said he would love to live in Sorrento. Do you know the church's name there? I've never seen glass windows like those before in my life. That's so touching that you cry when you leave Italy. Are you part Italian?

I agree Louisa, this is an interesting thread.

I think if I were alone. I wouldn't want to pinpoint my life to the act of hoping and waiting that my sons and their families come by; always wondering when I'll see my grandchild again. There is a danger in that if you live close to each other. I would want to avoid that. So I would def. sell my house and find my own way….somewhere; probably back to America.

#103106 - 01/17/07 11:02 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My son asked me to move in when they bought their new home but my home although its a double wide mobile home, its bigger than their home is, and there would be four adults, well almost, my grandsoon is 16, in their home. Here the room is mine. MY bedroom is 18x11, with a master bath thats 11x9 with a huge walk in shower, round garden tub and then theres another bedroom thats 11x9, another full guest bath in the hall and a 12x8 dining room and the living room is 22x11. I have a kitchen and also a den/office thats 11x9. I have a sleeper sofa in there. Theres a covered porch out front thats all laticed in, and a covered driveway/patio along the side. Its nice because no outside work really and the place is so clean and well kept by the resort owners. They actually sweep the streets here. The amenities are 2 pools, tennis courts, 2 librarys, 2 club houses with full kitchens, pool tables, game areas, 2 steam rooms, 3 jacuzzis, inside and outside, 2 exercise rooms and putting greens and shuffle board, oh and 2 tennis courts...

Plus since mobile homes are not considered real property theres no taxes. Just personal property tax. I think mine was $243.00 last year. So you can see why I plan to stay put. My son has a huge house payment plus here these new neighborhoods charge a monthly subdivision fee, and stick their noses into whatever you want to do to your home, like a condo board does...I'm comfortable, safe in a gated community and it like a vacation all year long. Why move?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#103107 - 01/17/07 04:26 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Your place sounds heavenly Chatty. It seems to be just the right size, right number of rooms, and it's in a safe complex that offers all kinds of free time activities.
What more does a girl want;…other than Richard Gere sitting on her couch, hand feeding her grapes and chocolate (afterwards). Wait! You're in Las Vegas…Everything's possible there!

#103108 - 01/17/07 04:41 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
As much as I love our flat and the area surrounding it, it has become a nightmare. We've had an ongoing noise above for many months that wakes us at 3:00AM and hasn't been fixed. They even acted like we were making it up. It looks like we may be filing a lawsuit against the owners today. It makes me sad because we were so happy here.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103109 - 01/17/07 05:41 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

That's terrible Dianne. Sometimes we get noises in our radiators at night. We had a repairman come. It was a simple solution of just letting some air out and putting more water in, or the other way around..... Jeez, Dianne, that's sad news, you did seem to be so happy there.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved