The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#103090 - 01/15/07 05:38 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I have downsized some and don't regret it. Since the divorce I am living in a much smaller house and LOVE the fact that it is clean in sucha short amount of time. Despite all that I got rid of in the divorce I need to get rid of more and that is difficult to do. I am renting now but have begun thinking about what to purchase. I would love to buy a condo and not do the mowing ect. but would miss not being able to plant flowers. I am also thinking of purchasing a duplex and renting out the other side. Ideally I would like that rent to cover the mortgage so I don't have a house payment. That would probably mean purchasing one that needs repair, fixing up the tenant side first, then fixing up my side.

But first I have to decide to stay here or move closer to family......

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#103091 - 01/15/07 06:15 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Oh, I have downsized and downsized again! I went from about 3400 sq ft 100 year old home with 12 foot ceilings to about 1600 with some vaulted ceilings and now I'm in about 900 sq ft.

This space works just fine for me most of the time. I use one bedroom for an office, so when I have company I take the sofa and give them the bedroom. It's not the most convenient thing, but I only have overnight company maybe 6 nights a year...I can deal! I would love more closets and plugs...this is a 1930's home and there isn't much of either.

Other than that...it works for me!

#103092 - 01/15/07 07:56 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
If we have company, they would have to sleep on the sofa. We have a Marriot right around the corner so they could stay there. I told my grandkids that and they refused. Said they wanted a blow-up mattress so they could stay at my place all night. I appreciate the love but I don't think they would get much sleep...not that kids need much.

Everyone was anxious to visit while we lived in Nashville but since moving to MN, they don't seem to want to come during the winter. I wonder why?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103093 - 01/15/07 08:01 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Dianne]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Dianne,

Trust me there are no Marriots in my neck of the woods! While it sounds noble that I take the sofa...it's actually because I like to get up early and I want the run of the house...I can't stand to be confined to my room...

I can see why you are lacking visitors right now...I'm whining because the high tomorrow is in the 30s!

#103094 - 01/16/07 12:00 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Oh, Jane Carroll, don't feel too sorry for us (Minnesotans). We might have to feel sorry for ourselves, then!

Edited by Anno (01/16/07 12:01 AM)

#103095 - 01/16/07 12:19 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Anno]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
We don't usually have overnight guests. Only my husband's friend stays over once in a while. If they have been watching a game and drinking, he sleeps on the couch. That way he's not driving.

#103096 - 01/16/07 01:24 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Anno,
I would never feel sorry for you...oh, that didn't sound right...well you know what I mean!

#103097 - 01/16/07 08:14 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Ha ha, Jane I just read you have no Marriots in your neck….and the phone rang… The whole time the customer was talking I was thinking, Good Lord what kind of insects are Marriotts?

#103098 - 01/16/07 03:11 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Oh Hannelore...you need to come to the states for a visit, girl! Too funny.

Speaking of other countries (we were, weren't we?) I received an email from a woman in Ireland who read my book and asked if I would traveling there so I could speak. Let's see, Australia, S. Africa and now Ireland. I better pull out my frequent travelers miles and start packing!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103099 - 01/16/07 03:14 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
HAnnelore, I love your sense of humor. You're a hoot. You're always dropping these little funnies all over the place.

Ross and I had this conversation about downsizing just this weekend. He has a practice in the city that is two buildings wide. He is only using the bottom floor so the upstairs is vacant. It's in a really neat section of the city with lots of things to do at your door step.

We were talking about renovating the upstairs, selling our four bedroom house and moving downtown. We were very caught up with the idea because we were down there celebrating our football team being in the playoffs. The city was so alive. There was so much activity and such a wonderful atmosphere.

We said we wouldn't do it until all the kids were through college. But then we began thinking of the future with grandkids and family visiting...and what would we do... the idea of keeping our home for the sake of entertaining and overnight guests seems to take priority. Lots to tihnk about.

I'm still all for staying put, but purging. Less is best.

I appreciate everyone sharing their stories here. It's most helpful to hear stories from all perspectives.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved