The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#103070 - 01/14/07 01:54 PM Downsized? Regretted it?
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
    Has anyone regretted downsizing?
    Would you like to downsize and just don't have the energy to do so?
    Or are you happy you downsized, and would do it again.

I'm sort of at a crossroad here myself. Don't know if it's wise to downsize, before a move is too exhausting, or just to wait it out and hope for the best.
What are your thought on this?

#103071 - 01/14/07 02:42 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hannelore,

You posted this in the "finances" section. Are you downsizing your finances or your personal belongings?

If you are downsizing your finances and you need some where to get rid of it....I would be happy to PM you my home address. LOL

danita

My most recent story for my mom:
http://www.heritagemakers.com/projectBro...tSponsor=384221

#103072 - 01/14/07 03:13 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Danita]
Edelweiss Offline

Danita, since there is no 'realestate' section, this was the next best thing. Of course I mean downsizing from a large house or apartment to a smaller house or apartment.

Yesterday I found some old German pennies behind our desk. They aren't worth the metal there printed on, but I'd be happy to send them on to you if you like. lol

#103073 - 01/14/07 03:38 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
LOL, ok, I get what you are getting to. Are you staying in Germany?

I've downsized my "stuff"...and I'm thrilled to have less "stuff"!

German pennies, huh?! LOL

danita

My most recent story for my mom:
http://www.heritagemakers.com/projectBro...tSponsor=384221

#103074 - 01/14/07 06:41 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Danita]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Hannelore: I can answer query no. 2 but with a different twist to the second part of the question.

I have thought about downsizing many, many times since I live alone. My house is much too big for one person to live in and I have a backgarden I cannot maintain. I have actually bought a flat two years ago after the divorce but, decided to rent it out instead, because the plan to downsize always gets thwarted when my daughter and her family come for their weekend stays. A smaller accommodation would not offer the same space for when they visit. That's the part which comes into the second half of the question.

Selling up at this time would be very lucrative for me, inflated as property values are at present time. That being the case, it might also be difficult for my son to acquire the appropriate property in the future when he starts his family. He lives in a flat at the moment. So I have decided to keep the house for him. Eventually, I may refurbish the house to accommodate a "granny" flat when the time comes. In the meantime, I have elderly friends who do not have backgardens and they tend to mine like their own.

In my case, plans to downsize comes with how I see my life in the future. Children and grandchildren play a dominant part so, I live with the space at the moment but I hope it gets to fill up again after my son marries.

As Danita has asked, do you intend to move back to the States?

#103075 - 01/14/07 06:47 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Danita]
Edelweiss Offline

Yes, I'll be staying here as long as my Mom and my Hubby are alive. Then...who knows.

Maybe I'll become a member in one of those Boomer resorts in Colorado where they play golf all day. I'll probably be 80 by then...whatever. Maybe they'll need slow moving caddies. Or I can organize story telling seminars for the yunguns (60 years and up) about my wild hippy days, and how we flower children turned into Boomer children, where we banged, uh…boomed our way to this ripe old age.

#103076 - 01/14/07 06:57 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Edelweiss Offline

Oh my Lola, we did it again; posting at the same time. It's our time zone!!!

I answered yes to Danita's question, yes I'll be staying in Germany.

Sounds like you weighed your pros and cons pretty good. I know what you mean about having room for guests. When we have family our guests, then I'm always glad that we can accommodate. I'm just sort of worried of missing that point in time where you still have the energy to move. I sell so many houses that belong to the Boomer generation. They downsize, move to cheaper places, and spend their money on travelling. It always sounds so appealing to me...but My Hubby can't deal with that. Oh well.

#103077 - 01/14/07 07:23 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

It's funny, my husband and I were just discussing this same topic this morning. Our house is about 3800 square feet, a ranch over a basement. The upstairs part of the house is complete as is - laundry, kitchen, etc. - and once the final kid is moved out, we wouldn't have to go downstairs at all if we didn't have company. So the question would be - should we move somewhere smaller (with a smaller yard to maintain, etc.) or stay where we are and be able to use the basement when we have a big family event or overnight guests.

We think, for the foreseeable future, we'll be staying where we are. Even if we moved, it would not be to a different area because of the family business and the married children who live nearby.

However, eventually, maybe in five to ten years, we might consider moving to a condo, for two reasons - one is property value, we should be able to realize a good profit from selling this house and could use that money when we retire. And two, after we retire we want to travel a lot and with a condo, we wouldn't have to worry about the yard, etc.
Plus I think (having dealt with my parents' estates) that downsizing forces you to thin down your possessions and spares your heirs a lot of hassles.

Edited by dejavu (01/14/07 07:26 PM)

#103078 - 01/14/07 11:41 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: dejavu]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Hannelore, we downsized last year at this time. Went from a 4000 sq ft home with huge yard to 1115 sq ft and no yard.

It has it's good side and bad side.

No yard. Come spring, I think I'll miss working in my yard but for now, I don't have to worry about shoveling snow and the assoc. pays for it and schedules it.

No front porch. I miss sitting there and looking at the beautiful Tennessee views but we have a great view from the 10th floor flat we're in.

One bad thing is my furniture is in storage. I miss it. The hub bought furniture for the flat and while it isn't really my taste, he did a good job. It's all black leather.

We now question why we had such a large house. The kids only visit about twice a year and the rest of the time, it was space that had to be cleaned but not used.

We have found that we love this simplified way of life. No clutter (you can't, there is no room!) When we had a basement we put stuff down there that stayed there and wasn't used and we ended up giving it all away or throwing it out. If there is room...we'll junk it up.

I wouldn't mind a small home with a yard but for now, I'm really liking it here.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103079 - 01/15/07 02:40 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Dianne]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I met my husband at about the same time he was going through a divorce and moving into a condo. He rented it for a couple of years until the time was right to buy it. So, my situation was a little different. When I eventually moved in with him, I didn't give up my house. (Until a year after we were married) So it wasn't a decision we made together to downsize. I found it hard only haveing 1000 sq feet of living space at first, but I like it now, except I would like more closet space. Our floor plan is open, so it looks bigger than it is. Unlike most condos, the first floor apartments in our building have huge decks so it makes up for not having a yard. We are on the water and love where we are.

But, Diane is right. It has its good points and bad.
I love not having to shovel, drag barrels out on trash day and having a mail slot right outside my door. No lawn to mow. And since I owned a two family home, no tenants to deal with.

I DON'T like so many rules. Communal living isn't always easy. I also don't like others making decisions (the trustees) that involve how we spend money, etc.

I would recommend to anyone thinking of buying a condo to first DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
1. Know where/what you are buying.
2. Ask questions.
3. Find out about the condo association.
4. Ask to see the condo docs.
5. Find out about the financial stability of the assoc.
6. Know the rules up front, such as pet policy, visitors,
parking, water heaters, maintenance.
7. Know what the condo fees are.

Hannelore, Being in RE this should be relatively easy for you.

I don't like downsizing my possessions. I have found thi difficult. We've had two or three mishaps with water heaters letting go above us and a pipe that burst. One of these episodes resulted in a major flood in our unit in which we had to replace all our new rugs, the ceilings, paint the whole unit. We had to live on the cement floors and without our ceilings for months while dealing with insurance companies and contractors.

We've had two major incidents of raw sewerage backing up into the seven first floor units. With this kind of thing, you have parts of your walls cut out because of bacteria. The first time this happened we were not insured for raw sewerage backup. The second time this happened almost did me in even though we had insurance for it this time. And each time, things got ruined and we were forced to downsize and get rid of stuff.

There was no way of knowing this would happen and it is happening more and more, also in single family homes.

Another thing to consider in a condo is assessments. If the place needs a roof or any major thing that comes up, you can get whacked with some pretty heavy assessments.

If we had it to do over, I don't think we would buy a condo again. And, you can't just up and sell it either, because you have to pay the assessments first.

But, I don't want to take care of a big house at this stage of my life. Don't want to wash windows and hang curtains all the time, etc. It's nice to come home, park the car and just go inside and let someone else do the maintenance.

#103080 - 01/15/07 08:08 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
Lola Offline

Hi, Hannelore: One route which is taken in the UK is conversion of single family homes into two or multiple flats. You can opt to live in one unit then rent out or sell the other on leasehold terms but still retain freehold title for the properties. Backgardens can be enjoyed as a common area for the occupants and similarly, service and maintenance charges are shared. Is this sort of conversion done in Germany? That way, you would not have to move and still be able to downsize. This is the route I am opting for in the future when I refurbish the house to accommodate a "granny flat". My son would live in one part and I in the other.

#103081 - 01/15/07 11:52 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

Dejavu, waiting out the next 5-10 years and then deciding to move is probably the best for us too. We would be forced to stay in the area as well, because of my mother and business…so might as well stay in our house.

Dianne and Louisa, that's what I'm ready for; to simplify my life. Interesting, although you both are glad you moved, you still have mixed feelings about going from a house to a condo. Dianne, I think I would have had a problem with not being able to furnish the apartment with my furniture as well. But how does that saying go? The smarter one gives in.

Louisa, I love where you live and your view. If I were single, that would be my choice, but as long as Hubby can putter about in a garden; well, he needs that like he needs air to breathe.
Oh my gosh, You had 3 water leaks from above ?! We had a water pipe break once in our cellar, and that was stress pure. I can't even begin to imagine having that happen 3 times in your own apartment. Eeegads! Soggy rugs. At least you were insured.
Oh yes, those are def. strong points, about not being your own boss in a condo anymore. Another thing to consider are the condo assessments. They are almost as high as rent, which is crazy.

Lola, I think your future house plans are perfect if you have a family member to share with. Although I love my sons like crazy, I don't think I would want to live under one roof with them and their families. Some of the happiest families do get ruined that way. Gee, just take 'Dallas' as an example. Ha ha . But then again they had to share the dining room table. If it's possible to change a house to a complete two family house, then I agree, it's a fantastic solution.

Does anyone here share their home with their adult children and families? How's it going for you? Would you ever consider doing that?

#103082 - 01/15/07 12:18 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

That's exactly how I have planned it, Hannelore. A house into two family homes with separate entries and facilities independent of each other. The common areas would be the backgarden, driveway/garage and back porch. You don't have to share with any of your sons. You can rent out the second unit.

#103083 - 01/15/07 12:19 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Louisa Offline

Hannelore, It's the condo fees that are almost like rent. Those are monthly fees for maintenance, water bill, insurance, snow and trash removal, etc. When I say assessments, that's something else above and beyond. For instance, the Board of Trustees we had didn't do the right thing with the money way back when. To keep the condo fees down, they put things off. As a result, when we got some new folks on the Board and things had to be done, there was not enough money in our reserve fund. (another important thing to know.) We have three buildings. The garage in one of them needed a new floor and major overhaul which cost over a million dollars and the roof on our building had to be done. Well, this is done through special assessments. We were assessed over 10,000 last year. Most smaller places, the assessments aren't as big, but again, we had major work to be done. The first sewer back-up, not only did we not have the right coverage (because of the insurance company, but that's a whole other story,) but the condo itself didn't have the right coverage. They helped the 7 families a little, which was done through an assessment so it cost us plenty anyway. Even when you have the insurance, it is awful. I better not get started on insurance companies.

I would rather have gone to a smaller house than a condo. I also wouldn't convert to a multiple dwelling because I owned a two family home for 27 years. Don't want that hassle again. When things are going well here, it's really nice. My husband is also a gardner, but we have the huge patio and he does he flowers and loves it. No lawn is great. There really is a lot to consider.

#103084 - 01/15/07 12:21 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
When D and I met, I owned a large condo and he owned a huge house in the suburbs. When we decided to purchase a home together, we moved into a house in the city that was about the size of my condo.

Giving up possessions did not bother me, but it was very difficult for Dennis. For the first year our basement and garage were packed with "stuff." Over the years, we have sold, given away and thrown soooooo much. We still have more to give away, but we are close to actually fitting in our home.

I have never regretted going smaller for one minute. We still have a deck and a back yard that I have converted into a garden paradise (very small paradise - Ha Ha) and we are on a quiet street where I can sit in the yard and see people, not traffic.

I really liked condo life for the same reasons that others have mentioned and disliked it for pretty much the same reasons too. I had a couple that visited me, maybe once a month, and he was almost deaf. Poor sweetheart loved his rock and roll. He would turn on the music, as low as possible, and within minutes, someone would be knocking at the door. This was not night time, mind you, but in the afternoon, usually on a Sunday.

I did share a house with an ex's adult children and grandchildren for a while. This was a very dysfunctional family. Would not repeat that mistake again. Consider the relationship you have with the people you will share the house with and then make the decision. I would venture to say that relationships will not improve as a result of living together. Healthy relationships - maybe yes. Dysfunctional - whoa, no, no, no.

#103085 - 01/15/07 12:33 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Thanks for the explanation Louisa. I've never sold a house in English, so real-estate lingo in English is new for me. Right, I actually meant the condo fees. They are high over here too. What the German's don't have are high real-estate taxes. May I ask you what you pay for yearly taxes? Please, don't answer that question if you don't want to.

Lola, since we have a ranch house, it's sort of hard to rebuild into a duplex. My offices are under the roof, but if changed, they could be at the most a 2-3 room apartment with bath and kitchen. Your house sounds perfect for a duplex.

#103086 - 01/15/07 01:02 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

What's a ranch house, Hannelore? From what you've described, your property seems to have a lot of potential.

In my case, it would be a lot of work and I might have to extend to accommodate the improvements i.e. utility room, kitchen and bathroom but it's do-able.

#103087 - 01/15/07 01:33 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

A ranch house is a house where you have all rooms on one level. Our kitchen, 3 bedrooms, bath, guest toilet and living room are all on the first floor. We built three office rooms and an additional bathroom in the attic. We also have living quarters with daylight in the cellar. There we have a guest room with a bath, a fitness room, and several more rooms to clean...phew. That's why I want to downsize, but I can't move my Hubby. Hmpf. I'd have to leave him here…and then who would massage my feet?????

#103088 - 01/15/07 01:51 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I downsized after divorce from 2400 sf to 1215 sf. Yet, although the sf is no problem, its having 3 bedrooms of which the master is like 14x14 and other two 11x11, very little room for queen size beds. This is not my final home, yet in my 'dream home' I'd prefer 2 large master bedrooms and larger bathrooms. Also, larger laundry with extra storage space and a sink to alleviate having my extra bedroom closets stuffed w/ boxes! I basically purchased this home as an investment and did not want to pay rent w/ no tax return. I was lucky to afford a 20% down payment, thus alleviating mortgage insurance which would have been $80 a month -- money down the tube! I am also lucky enough to have a house payment less than rent on a two bedroom apartment in my local area.

I 'dream' of my dream home as described above, to include solid surface counter tops and would like to coordinate the entire house hardware (knobs, lights, door handles, etc.) to coordinate, wood floors in living and kitchen areas, molding, etc.

Yet, my next home will either be a townhouse/garden home and I shall board horse at stable, or purchase land and build. Although I prefer the later idea, taking care of the land will be very stressful, b/c horses are social animals, if you have one on your own land, you'll need another, thus increased costs. Being single, I'd prefer to put the burden of all that work and maintenance on the stable owner, especially when I want to go out of town. Also, must consider the cost of horse trailer and other farm equipment when owning land/horse(s). Okay, now I'm rambling!

#103089 - 01/15/07 02:18 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: ]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
We moved south and up-sized.
After 22 years in a tiny house, I love having the extra space to spread out. Once the kids move out, I may feel differently though.

#103090 - 01/15/07 05:38 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I have downsized some and don't regret it. Since the divorce I am living in a much smaller house and LOVE the fact that it is clean in sucha short amount of time. Despite all that I got rid of in the divorce I need to get rid of more and that is difficult to do. I am renting now but have begun thinking about what to purchase. I would love to buy a condo and not do the mowing ect. but would miss not being able to plant flowers. I am also thinking of purchasing a duplex and renting out the other side. Ideally I would like that rent to cover the mortgage so I don't have a house payment. That would probably mean purchasing one that needs repair, fixing up the tenant side first, then fixing up my side.

But first I have to decide to stay here or move closer to family......

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#103091 - 01/15/07 06:15 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Oh, I have downsized and downsized again! I went from about 3400 sq ft 100 year old home with 12 foot ceilings to about 1600 with some vaulted ceilings and now I'm in about 900 sq ft.

This space works just fine for me most of the time. I use one bedroom for an office, so when I have company I take the sofa and give them the bedroom. It's not the most convenient thing, but I only have overnight company maybe 6 nights a year...I can deal! I would love more closets and plugs...this is a 1930's home and there isn't much of either.

Other than that...it works for me!

#103092 - 01/15/07 07:56 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

If we have company, they would have to sleep on the sofa. We have a Marriot right around the corner so they could stay there. I told my grandkids that and they refused. Said they wanted a blow-up mattress so they could stay at my place all night. I appreciate the love but I don't think they would get much sleep...not that kids need much.

Everyone was anxious to visit while we lived in Nashville but since moving to MN, they don't seem to want to come during the winter. I wonder why?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103093 - 01/15/07 08:01 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Dianne]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Dianne,

Trust me there are no Marriots in my neck of the woods! While it sounds noble that I take the sofa...it's actually because I like to get up early and I want the run of the house...I can't stand to be confined to my room...

I can see why you are lacking visitors right now...I'm whining because the high tomorrow is in the 30s!

#103094 - 01/16/07 12:00 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Anno Offline

Oh, Jane Carroll, don't feel too sorry for us (Minnesotans). We might have to feel sorry for ourselves, then!

Edited by Anno (01/16/07 12:01 AM)

#103095 - 01/16/07 12:19 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Anno]
Louisa Offline

We don't usually have overnight guests. Only my husband's friend stays over once in a while. If they have been watching a game and drinking, he sleeps on the couch. That way he's not driving.

#103096 - 01/16/07 01:24 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Anno,
I would never feel sorry for you...oh, that didn't sound right...well you know what I mean!

#103097 - 01/16/07 08:14 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Edelweiss Offline

Ha ha, Jane I just read you have no Marriots in your neck….and the phone rang… The whole time the customer was talking I was thinking, Good Lord what kind of insects are Marriotts?

#103098 - 01/16/07 03:11 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Oh Hannelore...you need to come to the states for a visit, girl! Too funny.

Speaking of other countries (we were, weren't we?) I received an email from a woman in Ireland who read my book and asked if I would traveling there so I could speak. Let's see, Australia, S. Africa and now Ireland. I better pull out my frequent travelers miles and start packing!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103099 - 01/16/07 03:14 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
HAnnelore, I love your sense of humor. You're a hoot. You're always dropping these little funnies all over the place.

Ross and I had this conversation about downsizing just this weekend. He has a practice in the city that is two buildings wide. He is only using the bottom floor so the upstairs is vacant. It's in a really neat section of the city with lots of things to do at your door step.

We were talking about renovating the upstairs, selling our four bedroom house and moving downtown. We were very caught up with the idea because we were down there celebrating our football team being in the playoffs. The city was so alive. There was so much activity and such a wonderful atmosphere.

We said we wouldn't do it until all the kids were through college. But then we began thinking of the future with grandkids and family visiting...and what would we do... the idea of keeping our home for the sake of entertaining and overnight guests seems to take priority. Lots to tihnk about.

I'm still all for staying put, but purging. Less is best.

I appreciate everyone sharing their stories here. It's most helpful to hear stories from all perspectives.

#103100 - 01/16/07 06:50 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it?
Edelweiss Offline

I don't know what it is about this place...but you all activate my silly nerve.

Dianne, you can hold a speech here in Bavaria any time. I have an audience already for you;…. me, myself and I... (we won't count Hubby, he can't speak much English) tee hee.
Seriously I have looked up and investigated on getting speaking assignments for Allison. No luck. I just don't have the right strings to pull in that department.

Dotsie, does the vacant apartment belong to you? If so, I'd just furnish it and use it whenever you like. Sounds like a fantastic alternative. Ideally I would like a penthouse in Boston and one in Muenich. Then of course a summer cottage at the Cape, of course right on the ocean, another one in Ireland (near Celtic_Flame and Popea) and Tahiti would be nice ( although I've never been there), oh and a little of Italian Toscana to fill the itinerary.

I know…don't say it.

But if money didn't matter at all and you could bring your families with you, where would you all want to live?

#103101 - 01/16/07 06:59 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Rome preferably but anywhere in Italy will do me just fine...with a weekend home in Sorrento. I have such a fondness for the country and the people. I cry every time I leave it. Don't ask me why. I just do.

#103102 - 01/16/07 08:08 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Lola]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I think France six months out of the year or maybe, just three. I'm a gypsy and can settle in just about anywhere, which I've proven.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103103 - 01/16/07 10:27 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
We downsized over 11 years ago, going from a 2500 sf to a little over 900 sf. However, we gave up sf living area for land. We went from subdivision living to 20 acres of breathing room. Sure, we'd love to have room to entertain indoors more easily. When out of town guests come to visit, we find it hard to accomodate with our one bedroom/one bath. But, if we're entertaining outdoors, we have great advantages. Since we have relocated to the country, we aren't forced to keep our yard to certain specs, either. That, in itself, is a blessing.
We still have "stuff" boxed from 12 years ago. Our children will probably inherit it all in that very condition.

#103104 - 01/17/07 02:52 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: gims]
Louisa Offline

I think it's interesting to hear how people change their styles of living. Some downsize and love it, some aren't that crazy about it. Some move to larger living quarters while others, like gimster, opt for more outdoor space and give up living space. It's an interesting thread.

#103105 - 01/17/07 08:38 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Lola my husband has said he would love to live in Sorrento. Do you know the church's name there? I've never seen glass windows like those before in my life. That's so touching that you cry when you leave Italy. Are you part Italian?

I agree Louisa, this is an interesting thread.

I think if I were alone. I wouldn't want to pinpoint my life to the act of hoping and waiting that my sons and their families come by; always wondering when I'll see my grandchild again. There is a danger in that if you live close to each other. I would want to avoid that. So I would def. sell my house and find my own way….somewhere; probably back to America.

#103106 - 01/17/07 11:02 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My son asked me to move in when they bought their new home but my home although its a double wide mobile home, its bigger than their home is, and there would be four adults, well almost, my grandsoon is 16, in their home. Here the room is mine. MY bedroom is 18x11, with a master bath thats 11x9 with a huge walk in shower, round garden tub and then theres another bedroom thats 11x9, another full guest bath in the hall and a 12x8 dining room and the living room is 22x11. I have a kitchen and also a den/office thats 11x9. I have a sleeper sofa in there. Theres a covered porch out front thats all laticed in, and a covered driveway/patio along the side. Its nice because no outside work really and the place is so clean and well kept by the resort owners. They actually sweep the streets here. The amenities are 2 pools, tennis courts, 2 librarys, 2 club houses with full kitchens, pool tables, game areas, 2 steam rooms, 3 jacuzzis, inside and outside, 2 exercise rooms and putting greens and shuffle board, oh and 2 tennis courts...

Plus since mobile homes are not considered real property theres no taxes. Just personal property tax. I think mine was $243.00 last year. So you can see why I plan to stay put. My son has a huge house payment plus here these new neighborhoods charge a monthly subdivision fee, and stick their noses into whatever you want to do to your home, like a condo board does...I'm comfortable, safe in a gated community and it like a vacation all year long. Why move?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#103107 - 01/17/07 04:26 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Your place sounds heavenly Chatty. It seems to be just the right size, right number of rooms, and it's in a safe complex that offers all kinds of free time activities.
What more does a girl want;…other than Richard Gere sitting on her couch, hand feeding her grapes and chocolate (afterwards). Wait! You're in Las Vegas…Everything's possible there!

#103108 - 01/17/07 04:41 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

As much as I love our flat and the area surrounding it, it has become a nightmare. We've had an ongoing noise above for many months that wakes us at 3:00AM and hasn't been fixed. They even acted like we were making it up. It looks like we may be filing a lawsuit against the owners today. It makes me sad because we were so happy here.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103109 - 01/17/07 05:41 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

That's terrible Dianne. Sometimes we get noises in our radiators at night. We had a repairman come. It was a simple solution of just letting some air out and putting more water in, or the other way around..... Jeez, Dianne, that's sad news, you did seem to be so happy there.

#103110 - 01/17/07 08:08 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

The Basilica di Sant'Antonino, Hannelore? My ancestry is Andalusian but I just have a fondness for Italy and the Italians. Must be all the gesticulare they do when they speak And there's the Vatican, of course.

#103111 - 01/17/07 09:29 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Lola]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

They have offered to move us to another flat. Same price range, etc. Plus, they have to pay for the moving and hook up of tv, etc. I don't look forward to another move however close but do look forward to some sleep again.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103112 - 01/17/07 11:46 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

Strange that they can't figure out where the noise is coming from? Do you have any idea what it could be?

#103113 - 01/18/07 02:20 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dianne, make sure the next one you move to doesn't ahve the same noise. Are any of the other owners hearing it?

#103114 - 01/18/07 01:44 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Yes, others are hearing it as well. We are right under the penthouse that houses the boiler. That's what the noise is so everytime it kicks on, it blows us out of our flat, or so to speak. Just feels like it. They can't replace it until it gets warmer here or the entire building would be without heat.

I have to meet with their realtor and go look at what flats are available.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103115 - 01/19/07 01:03 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Ah geez. What a pain. If they can fix it, can you hang in there until the spring? I'd hate to see you pick up and move, then have it disappear shortly after you've made the move.

#103116 - 01/19/07 01:40 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

No way. We haven't had a good nights sleep for so long not to mention having my days disrupted. You can't believe how loud it is. Starts like an explosion and then like a drum with boulders in it, moving across the top of the flat, wraps around and comes back in through the windows. It's actually scary at times.

We spent a pretty penny on the place not to mention, having our art work hung by a professional, installation of the flat screen, draperies, carpeting in the bedroom, shelving in closet, on and on. This was a model so all of the kitchen equipment is upgraded and they aren't in the other flats.

I looked at some yesterday and found a two bedroom on the second floor. Great view of the pond but the other view isn't that great. I don't know what we're going to do at this point. He tried to show me some on this floor and I told him I wanted as far away from that boiler as possible.

This is frustrating.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103117 - 01/19/07 08:54 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Dianne]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dianne didn't you say sometime back that David bought another flat near to the one your in? Why not move into that one? You shouldn't have to down grade just because of their lack of preparedness. You can't tell me they didn't know this thing made that horrendous noise....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#103118 - 01/19/07 09:42 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: chatty lady]
Anno Offline

Dianne
How about moving into a suite in a hotel and having them pay for that until your place is fixed?

#103119 - 01/19/07 10:07 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Good suggestion Anno. Spring is just a few months away...let them pay for keeping this a secret.

#103120 - 01/19/07 10:21 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

The other flat won't be finished until summer. Might get a bit "brisk" sleeping there right now.

Anno, with a dog who would have a break down and a parrot...a hotel would be an absolute nightmare for me and I want my kitchen, my bed, my home.

Took the hub to see the two bedroom today and he really likes it and actually, I do too. More room, more windows and Diz would have sunshine coming through the window in the morning where she could sunbathe. There are huge windows in every room. A second bathroom too! Hallelujah on that!

We submitted a list of demands today through our atty. We wait. We want them to pay for the installation of everything like all the track lighting we installed, the plasma tv, ceiling fan and bonded movers.

Just heard today another resident down the hall is now complaining of the noise.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103121 - 01/20/07 09:28 AM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

Well then Dianne, you would be upsizing! And it gets paid for...not bad.

#103122 - 01/20/07 02:37 PM Re: Downsized? Regretted it? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

But...downsizing in view. You give and take, right? It's not a done deal yet. They have to agree to the terms.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved