The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#102914 - 01/23/07 08:18 PM Re: Guess what I've been doing? [Re: Saundra]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Hannelore, thanks for the links. I appreciate having several brand names that have been created to function as floor tiles, to reference when I go back shopping on Wednesday. The technical pages on installation are also very good. I'm attending a tile installation workshop this Saturday, but it will talk about tiling in general and not just glass or floor.

Louisa, I've never heard of that opal effect in wall paint, but it sounds really lovely, especially the way it changes with the light.

Lola, since this is a once-in-a-lifetime project, I'll pay whatever I need to. I never skimp on household purchases, because aesthetics and durability are so important to me. However, I need to find out if glass floor tiles can support the weight of the toilet.

I'm using Behr paints, which got a very good rating from Consumer Reports.

And I have friends taking bets on when this will all be done

Poet and essayist

#102915 - 01/23/07 10:34 PM Re: Guess what I've been doing? [Re: meredithbead]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Weight of the toilet, Meredith? I thought you work around it as in cut the tiles to fit then fill with grout. Can't this be done with glass tiles? Gosh, shows you how little I know about DIY.

#102916 - 01/24/07 02:16 AM Re: Guess what I've been doing? [Re: Lola]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

based on the brand names I got for floor-specific glass tiles, I just got back from another tile store that carries some of those brands. I'm still drooling at the gorgeousness of some of them, but hitting my head over the cost. The floor tiles I've been looking at so far have been $18-22/square' -- these are inching towards $36-48. Youch!

Lola, most DIY projects are on a need-to-know basis. Until I started looking, I had NO IDEA what was involved in choosing glass floor tile. The sturdiness depends on how the glass is made. The more expensive tiles will support a toilet, but the cheaper ones won't.

I've been in 20-30 tile stores this past week, and this is the first one that had glass tile installed on the floor of their showroom. The expensive stuff, natch, but it was so beautiful.

Tomorrow is allegedly my last day looking for tiles. After that, I really need to decide so I can buy the wall paint.

Poet and essayist

#102917 - 01/24/07 03:14 AM Re: Guess what I've been doing? [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
How about some green products - recycled glass. Think it would be as expensive?

#102918 - 01/24/07 05:12 AM Re: Guess what I've been doing? [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

recycled green glass:
2x2 $38/sq.'
2x2x2 hexagon $45/sq.'

Poet and essayist

#102919 - 01/24/07 12:45 PM Re: Guess what I've been doing? [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
OUCH! How 'bout recycled plastic?

#102920 - 01/24/07 03:54 PM Re: Guess what I've been doing? [Re: gims]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Meredith,
How far are you from Mexico? Seems like it was somewhere south of Tijuana where I saw the most beautiful glass and clay tiles very cheap.
I took glasses home on the plane from Guadalajara because I saw little children with wagons gathering blue and brown beer bottles to sell to the glass blower who made recycled glasses as I watched. I had to reward that kind of industry somehow. I still love those glasses.

Of course you might need a truck and getting back over the border might be a problem, but it's an idea...

If you do it, I'm sure it will be beautiful.

smile

#102921 - 01/24/07 03:59 PM Re: Guess what I've been doing? [Re: smilinize]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
What a problem? There's a problem getting back and forth across the border? Since when? TEEHEEEEEEEEE....mahahahah...I couldn't resist.

#102922 - 01/24/07 04:04 PM Re: Guess what I've been doing? [Re: jawjaw]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Hey, the problems must be recent, cause I used to cross all the time. Never had a problem. Of course I guess it depends on what you're bringing in.

Even once got across with a half pint of Morphine and a guy with an open IV.

Long scary story, but hilarious. NOW that is.
smile

#102923 - 01/24/07 07:03 PM Re: Guess what I've been doing? [Re: smilinize]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
smile, you going to leave us hanging like that? I want to hear more of that story.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved