The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#102677 - 01/11/07 05:39 AM acceptance ... or not?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'll start close to the beginning, so those of you who are not totally familiar with this can follow.

In early October, my left hip sort of pulled out when I was dancing. I wasn't even jumping up and down or moving fast, just some low smooth moves and something went SNAP -- didn't hear anything so much as felt it.

One month later, hip was not much healed and I was barely able to walk, when my right foot got all swollen and I couldn't bend my toes at all. Like I had sprained it, except that NOTHING had happened to explain this. So another month of almost not walking.

X-rays show nothing broken. I also had blood tests to see if the cancer had metastasized to the bone. Blood work showed nothing. Osteopenia, which I've had for years, has not advanced to osteoporosis. Basically, both of these problems are due to advancing arthritis.

Right now, hip has low-level ambient pain but that's no biggie. I've regained some mobility but still limping. Some of foot swelling is down, but not all. Toes still stiff. But I'm looking at maybe not being able to dance again, which fires my soul, or hiking which I also love.

At what level do we accept our limitations?

I can visualize me hiking or dancing, but is that realistic if my body continues to degenerate? Is it better to accept, or to keep hoping? I guess I'm not ready to give up yet, but I don't want to delude myself with false optimism.

Thoughts?

Poet and essayist

#102678 - 01/11/07 07:28 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Meredith, I think the best way is a little of both.

Accepting your limitations, but keeping posted on the latest medical developments. Everyday new medications come out. I would keep my hope up, and stay informed. I would concentrate on targeted therapy. Isn't swimming a good sport for arthritis? Maybe you can try to do sports that way.

It must be very hard, especially if you love to move. Believe me, I'll let you know if I ever hear of any new discoveries to combat arthritis.

#102679 - 01/11/07 11:46 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I read somewhere that "only those who risk going top far can possibly know how far they can go." Keep your dreams and visualize yourself dancing and doing all the things you love. It may not be the same but it will give you comfort and make you smile. Like Hannelore says, we never know when someone will make a bold discovery, a cure. Swimming is good for arthritis, many Seniors here in the resort swim daily which loosens them up so walking is easier for them. I know its hard but never give up....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#102680 - 01/11/07 12:17 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I think we have to pay some attention to our limitations, Meredith. You wouldn't want to go too far and cause more damage, but I don't think you should give up or stop hoping. There are new things everyday. During a recent visit with my cardiologist, he told me to "fight back." I wasn't too sure what he meant at first, but I'm starting to get it.

#102681 - 01/11/07 03:28 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Louisa]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Meredith, I just told my husband that I'm becoming an arthritic old woman. My shoulder and now my left wrist. I've been taking aleve and also doing some Yoga. I've heard that light weight bearing exercises also help.

Sorry you're going through this. It's depressing.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102682 - 01/11/07 03:28 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Louisa]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have erosive arthritis.I cannot take antiinflamion drugs due to severe reaction so have to "take things sensibly"
There is a time of grief at the loss of what i could do.I was a graceful person and danced. What keeps me going is that when I did these things I was good.I did my best.I dont like when I drop things.....feel frustrated.I think surely I can still hold on to things.Still my hands dont clasp onto things.I would never give in and accept I am not going to regain flexibilty.I have been told this will pass but that I must respect my hands in order not to damage more.
Keep possitive...rest well eat sensibly and have faith.
Mountain Ash

#102683 - 01/11/07 03:51 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Acceptance and resignation are different, and keeping this in mind may help. "You are where you are right now," this is acceptance. "You will never get better" is resignation.

Continue to visualize your dream life and accept where you are at each moment. While accepting, keep positive by focusing on what is absolutely right in your life and what is right about the arthritis.

Just my thoughts.

#102684 - 01/11/07 11:35 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Anno]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I have pain on and off in my lower back and right hip, especially since the elevator malfunction. Sometimes it's debilitating. I love to dance (ballet when younger and I'm still a rocker). But when I try it now sometimes I get hurt and suffer for days. I have accepted that I have a problem. Doesn't mean I don't keep trying every now and then, like when a movie has a great soundtrack and I just can't sit still or I put on some music I like because I miss it so much. I just don't know how people can listen to music and not move. Know your limitations, try it and see what happens, and be willing to accept the consequences. Rock on!

Edited by Saundra (01/11/07 11:36 PM)
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#102685 - 01/12/07 08:39 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Saundra]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Thanks all for your concern and suggestions. I always said I'd go down dancing or fighting.

I'm medically aware, eat well, and always exercized. Some days I feel my body has let me down and it can be a bit depressing. I don't like this feeling of fragility. It's as if I'm watching a stranger, like a clock winding down. I'm at 8:45 right now, which is odd because I never understood time before. That would give me to age 65. A psychic told me I'd be here until 89 but he got some other things wrong too.

OK, I'm rambling. Yoga might be good. It always seemed too slow before, but might be a new direction for me. Water makes me panic.

Does anyone know if accupuncture works for arthritis? It didn't work for my migraines, but I'd be willing to try again if it might help this.

Poet and essayist

#102686 - 01/12/07 03:58 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
Anno Offline

Everything is worth trying at least for a while. How about hypnosis? Some people have great success with that.

My guy has parkinson's disease and he found out from the doctor this week, that given the rate of his progression, the prognosis is two to five years before disability. He is an athletic, hockey, tennis and general fitness, so this has been very troublesome for him. We danced at a wedding last month, I just had to take the lead while he leaned on me.

I hope you find the right way to slow down your clock.

#102687 - 01/13/07 08:51 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Anno]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

My Dad had Parkinson's. He never talked about it but I could tell how upset my Mom was. He did OK with L-Dopa, and other than the hand tremors, he didn't outwardly seem that different.

I'm the kind of person -- if you tell me to leave the room and come back in 15 minutes, I might be back in 4 minutes or I might return in an hour. Time has never been my strong suit.

If my body is changing, then my path is changing. I trust that I will be here for however long I'm supposed to.

Poet and essayist

#102688 - 01/13/07 01:22 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
It IS depressing when you feel like your body is letting you down and you're no longer able to do the things you enjoy because of various aches and pains and problems. I saw that somebody suggested Yoga and I wanted to add that you might want to check out Pilates,too. I'm not a big fan of Yoga classes but do enjoy Pilates. Both classes are offered at the gym I go to.
I guess we all reach a point where we accept what we can do with the limitations our bodies have, but that doesn't mean we have to give in easily! My husband is a quadraplegic. Don't picture some poor guy stuck home in a wheelchair.....he's out today participating in a bass tournament. He's the only disabled guy in this particular bass club and he gives the other members a run for their money! He has a great attitude and has really taught me that if you want to do something badly enough, you'll find a way. It's not always easy and sometimes he has to accept that there are just certain things he is going to be unable to do. But he stays positive about it all, and I think that's really the important thing.
Accepting our limitations is not an easy thing to do but sometimes I think it leads to a new path......something else we enjoy, or that let's us create or whatever it is we enjoy doing, that we might not have found otherwise.

#102689 - 01/13/07 04:04 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Meredith, I would suggest this book:

http://www.hayhouse.com/details.php?id=267

It's sold 30 million copies so there must be something to it.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102690 - 01/17/07 08:08 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Dianne]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Dianne, I can't get that page to load.

CrossStitchQueen, my gym offers Pilates but at really weird hours, like 8am. At the core, I've always been a fighter, but some days I wonder when the fighting becomes counter-productive.

Poet and essayist

#102691 - 01/17/07 02:47 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
To the Divine Ms M - I wish I had some wisdom to pass on here but I simply don't. I too have discovered "body" limitations and at first it was hard to accept that I couldn't do A or B. Why not, was what I kept asking out loud! Then acceptance followed. Now when my mind tells my body to do A, or B, it starts but is quickly followed by, "Oh yeah, I can't do that anymore." Here's the funny part...................the acceptance has actually led me to be able to do them on occasion. Don't ask me how, it just has. Could it have something to do with the "resistance" factor? Dunno. Just know that it has.

Anyway, my 1 cent worth...

#102692 - 01/17/07 04:32 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Meredith, its: You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay. Great book.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102693 - 01/17/07 06:36 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Dianne]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
loved the deffinicion of acceptance and resignasion by anno.

i crash the car ended up with twisted spine, pelvise a frozen/ stuck sholder and nerve damage down right side and a rotated right hip.

walking ten paces was agonising mostly housbound with a child. i got physio and acupuncture to relax muscles and ease pain but couldn't fix it. I got the advice to keep active. Pain and activity seem incompatible, with restricted mobility. yet my lack of mobility created a muscle weekening, can't do cycle.

Agonising at times and with the use of variouse pain killers (don't like but had to use in abundance, now reduced)Steriodial injections into joints sholder joint and back, a little bit of movment a bit furtheir than before graduly incresed from 10 steaps to a fair bit now, i am back out and about.

If i do over do it theirs consiquencies the next day or few days in my case things like dancing make it worth it so i chose the activity knowing what the consiquencies will be, it helps me feel empowered and not sorry for myself couse i made the coice hence accept consiquincies.

It's a fine line somedays between respecting the pain signals from your body and knowing when you can get away with stuff and when you really have to stop, instantly. Pain arthritise, physical rest slepp etc. all play the part and studieing your own body help tell you when to do what or to choise your concisquncies.

side note but by far the worst thing was the sence of powerlessness, helplessness over my body, circumstancies and life situasion made me nutsand very very depresed. I always wanted to do and hated that an external force outside my will had to be considered ie my own bodie but that was my reality. I learned moderasion, considerasion for myself and when just to throw the consiquencies to the wind couse i need to dance or walk in park or whatever. Slowly i learned acceptances i do thnk it's a learning process of attitude and physical limitasions. Since then their no going back i am happier with my lot and more able than i thought possible than those first very dark mounths. Their still bad days when i can't do as much but their still better than the inicial days/mounths. Each day in life is diffrent and so is life and it's circumstancies take it one day at a time and see that day in it's entirity.

the crash left me with fibromyalgia....or the prolonged stress of the situasion, they can't tell which coused what. So relax and don't worrie if and when you can ...

just my experience hope it helps, whishing you all the best in working it out.....
oh visiliasion also help and cheered me up. (hypnotheripy my professional qualificasion)

celtic_flame

#102694 - 01/17/07 08:05 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: celtic_flame]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Meredith, I just read about your pain. I'm so sorry. I thought it had gone away. I have always imagined you dancing wildly along the western horizon. I refuse to give up that image.

I have posted this before, but three major car accidents, 31 broken bones and almost every joint crushed inflicted a lot of pain. For years I kept it at bay with just a smile. I refused to acknowledge it. I walked every day and ran often. I even danced on stage. But before my most recent orthopedic surgery, the pain took over. I found myself planning ahead for it, not doing things that I knew would hurt and far too often the pain took the smile that had been my only defense. I could no longer ignore it.

You asked about acupuncture. It has been a miracle for me. I almost feel like my old self again. If you have not yet tried it, check it out. Most insurance doesn't pay for it, and it is expensive, but if you're in enough pain, it doesn't matter.

I hope you're dancing again soon.

smile

#102695 - 01/17/07 08:14 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: smilinize]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Meredithbead, I have good days, bad days, and days in between and manage to work around it most of the time. Really bad days I can't go to work and end up at the docs for a pain injection. Is that how it goes for you?
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#102696 - 01/17/07 09:00 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Saundra]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Smilinize love the picture, it suits you!

Meredith did you get the envelope I sent? Also my sons hand was like a claw hand after he broke it in a fight and "they", dam doctors, said he would never be able to open it again. Plus in order to aleviate the terrible pain they could cut the nerves. Of course the hand would be useless but there would be no pain, DUH!
He wouldn't give up and went to an acupuncturist and I went along. It was like a miracle and after only several treatments, the hand was again back to normal with 'no pain' and has been so ever since. Its worth a try!

Edited by chatty lady (01/17/07 09:08 PM)

#102697 - 01/18/07 07:03 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Chatty, I haven't gotten anything recently.

From the beginning, the pain has been manageable. Even the worst of it -- back in March when I pulled out my lower back and couldn't even get out of bed to go to the bathroom for 2 1/2 hours; and more recently when my hip was out and foot immobile, and it took 30 minutes to walk one block -- the pain is nothing compared to some of my migraines. I try to keep that in perspective. Since I go through so much heavy pain meds for my head, I try not to use them otherwise, unless absolutely necessary. I have a cornucopia of ice packs and muscle rubs. Some days they work, and sometimes not.

since I've been painting cabinets, my back is borderline not-happy -- but so far, still functioning. I figured if I wait till all the pain goes away before doing anything, I'll be in bed for the rest of my life.

Smilinize, I had at least 2 months of weekly acupuncture for my migraines, and it didn't do a thing. However, that doesn't mean it won't work for something else. The quality of life is priceless, so I do what I need to.

And when we have our Boomer convention -- unless I'm in a wheelchair, I'll be dancing! even if just a little bit.

Poet and essayist

#102698 - 01/18/07 01:41 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Meredith, you may have mentioned it before but what do you take for your Migraines?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102699 - 01/19/07 06:16 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Dianne]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Dianne, you probably forgot because the list is so long

Meds: beta-blockers (Imitrex - pill and injection, Maxalt); pain killers (codeine-tylenol, vicodin, morphine pills)

supplements: mega-dose of riboflavin; will soon start mega-dose of magnesium

plus stretching exercises.

Tried other meds in the past that were useless. Also -- since the majority of my migraines are caused by degenerative arthritis in my neck, I tried muscle relaxants but they all gave me headaches and made me too hyper.

Also bio-feedback a long time ago, which was useless as well. And shiatsu, and acupressure.

Poet and essayist

#102700 - 01/19/07 08:35 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Meredith
I've always thought of you as someone who might have been into yoga. I re-started it about 2 years ago and find it fascinating and rewarding. I tried it at my gym but kept getting injured, so went to an actual studio. Everyone in the class has been majorly injured or experiences some level of pain, including the teacher who's sensitive to our pains and has figured out ways for each of us to move to avoid undue pressure in those areas or to learn to strengthen those areas. She also is sensitive to certain types of weather that make us feel particularly stiff or achy -- and it's not just on the cold rainy days.

Progress is subtle but unmistakable -- in only two years I'm stronger and more flexible than ever. What's truly inspiring is that there are women in their 70s (at least) who've been at it for 10 or so years and are actually the most agile in the room! It's never too late to start. It seems like a miracle exercise/discipline -- but you need a teacher who understands its meditative, inner nature and who continues to learn her or himself. I do prefer the women teachers because it seems that the men don't completely understand the differences in how our bodies move.

#102701 - 01/19/07 10:14 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: DJ]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

DJ is so right. Yoga does amazing things for you plus, have you ever known someone who practices it and how calm they are?

I know I sound like I'm kicking a dead horse here but I've mentioned the only thing that stopped my Migraines was Botox. The doctor needs an explanation of the pattern of them so they can chart the injections. It has changed my life. A nuerologist can do it.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102702 - 01/20/07 12:13 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

I just have to get my praise in for yoga, too. I have been practicing yoga, on and off, since I was in high school. About 4 years ago, I was experiencing debilitating migranes. Yoga was the answer for me.

I go to a yoga class twice a week and fit in a dvd in between. Please, don't try to learn it on your own, go to a good class with a good instructor.

How do you know a good class and instructor? The class will be small (15 at the most - the class I take is 5) and the instructor will walk around during the class making adjustments, helping individuals. In addition, a great teacher will ask you about your body and physical health. They will find poses for you that work for you and modify all poses to work with your body.

#102703 - 01/20/07 04:34 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Anno]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Hi, I don't know about accupuncture, but you might try Bowen Therapy. This modality works on the fascia of the muscles and I've found it very effective. I sprained my back last week and was very limited. Then I saw my Bowen Therapist and it's incredibly much better! Here's a list of practitioners: http://bowendirectory.com/

#102704 - 01/20/07 05:40 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Casey]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Meredith,
I just can't imagine you not in motion. I hate the idea of you being in pain. I wish I could help.

I wonder if you had a good acupuncturist. I tried one who did no good at all before I found the Oriental guy who practically saved my life.

The way you describe the problem with your hip sounds like it might originate in your spine. I had similar problems last year and was told I had a torn ligament with ruptured disk. I was advised to have spinal surgery. Seems like I know a lot of people who have had back surgery and not a one seems much improved. I opted to try Spinal decompression therapy first and it worked.

I've also had low level laser treatments that helped a knee problem. The guy who treated me with the laser went back for another doctorate and I could never see him. He advised me I could give the treatments to myself so I ordered my own low level laser devise from Russia. I haven't needed to use it yet, but if it works, I'll let you know. Hey, the instructions say it is good for wrinkles too so maybe I'll have smooth skin on my back, knee, shoulder, and ankle.

Hang in there. Keep smiling and do everything you can to get away from the pain. It's out to steal all your fun.

smile

#102705 - 01/27/07 05:12 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

OK, I'm rambling. Yoga might be good. It always seemed too slow before, but might be a new direction for me.

My sister sustained a serious shoulder stretch injury on rowing machine, she was in such pain, she could not lift her baby up from the crib.

So she got into yoga. Even had her own yoga centre teaching others for awhile. It changed her body for the better.

As for migraines, I knew someone who would get such bad migraines regularily that she blacked out and would become nauseated. She sounded like totally different person over the phone. She had acupuncture treatment every 3-4 months. Found it helpful.

Every person is different.

Whenever I get lower back pain..it's a sign to me, that I have not done my pilates, basic yoga exercises. Very relaxing exercises where I don't sweat enough. But every bit helps me keep stretched.

#102706 - 02/09/07 05:39 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I took my first yoga class today, after my regular weight workout. It was at a time that I usually don't have available, but there are other classes at different times with other instructors. I really like this teacher, though.

Tomorrow and the next day, I get to see just how sore sore really is.

Poet and essayist

#102707 - 02/09/07 01:40 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I just started Yoga too! Too many aches and pains from doing nothing. I already feel better.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102708 - 02/13/07 08:25 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Dianne]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Hardly any soreness from yoga. Somethings in the class seemed very easy, while others I couldn't do at all.

I'm regaining mobility from my pulled hip/ sprained foot. Walked 2 miles today and not zonked out at all. Still can't go particularly fast, but hey -- speed was never one of my major assets anyhow. I'd like to get back to hiking the trails which I love, before the weather gets too hot.

3 weeks ago, when I spent 6 hours Saturday and 4 Sunday walking the trade (wholesale) show, I was so exhausted from hip pain, I think that's why I came down with a cold a few days later. Progress is slow, but at least it's progressing.

Poet and essayist

#102709 - 02/13/07 06:53 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Anno is right about acceptance versus resignation. Cancer patients know the difference. I just think its best to never give in and keep figthting and believing.
I like visualization. Seems that if I can clearly see myself the way I want to be and act like I am that way already, my body follows.
I've refused to accept pain in my shoulders and neck. I've refused all the negative messages regarding my body. Most of the time the invader seems to just disappear.
Yoga and just keeping moving seems to be the ticket. I admire you for your spunk. Seems like you are doing all the right things, MB.

#102710 - 02/13/07 07:06 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: NewLeaf]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Meredith, I'm doing Yoga not only to gain more flexibility but I have muscle damage in my right thigh from taking Lipitor. I can't believe the difference in mobility from one thigh to the other. I'm believing I will eventually get them even and limber.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102711 - 02/13/07 08:39 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Dianne]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i glade to heer that your progressing in the right direction and long may it continue meriedith

celtic_flame

#102712 - 02/16/07 04:49 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: celtic_flame]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Had my 2nd yoga class today and I'm still alive! Just joking here...

GOOD NEWS!!! I saw my oncologist today, who said that from here on in, I really don't need to see him unless I relapse. (I'm in remission, not "cured.") So now I'm supposed to see my GP for a yearly check-up, and still do the yearly blood work (to look for metastasis) but that's it! And yearly bone density tests. The good news there is I've stabilized -- same mid-range osteopenia as last year and the previous. So whatever the hip problem is, it seems to be resolving itself.

NewLeaf and Celtic, thanks for your heads up. I think I can work through most things except the *(%!@&(* migraines, where the only effective cure is decapitation.

Poet and essayist

#102713 - 02/16/07 03:35 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA

remission is great news!
CONGRATS!

#102714 - 02/27/07 06:07 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: gims]
NewLeaf Offline

Wonderful news!! I'm happy for you. Migraines...the only thing that works for me is to lie down in a dark room after taking Excedrin migraine, with a heat pad on my head and sleep. Water is good too but not cold water, warm water.

Here's hoping you get to keep your head!!

#102715 - 02/28/07 03:26 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: NewLeaf]
chickadee Offline

Meredith, I think that this is great news also. Blessings.

I used to have migraines years ago and they stopped after I got out of a stressful relationship. Have had a few bad headaches but not a full blown, hospital visit migraine in years. They are so debilating and (no pun intended) a real pain in the neck. Of course so was that relationship.
What causes yours?

Newleaf, if I heard a dog bark in the distance when I was in a dark room, it would irritate my headache further. Do you get sick as in throwing up? I did and it felt like my head was going to burst wide open.I really empathise with migraine sufferers.

chick

#102716 - 02/28/07 04:45 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: chickadee]
NewLeaf Offline

I would feel nauseous and dizzy. My neck and face would hurt so bad it was nearly unbearable. Strangely enough, if I actually COULD manage to throw up, I felt instantly better. Maybe mine was a food allergy??

#102717 - 02/28/07 07:34 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: NewLeaf]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Chick I had that twice...migraine so bad that I was sick to my stomach. Now when I feel one coming on I take medication. It stops it immediately.

#102718 - 02/28/07 02:49 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I think vomiting helps release the veins that are restricted in the head. I always felt better after throwing up too. I have Rolpax now but haven't had to use it since getting my head injected full of Botox. My scalp will be wrinkle free!

Be careful with that Emetrix (sp) because it's bad on the heart.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102719 - 02/28/07 03:01 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Dianne]
chickadee Offline

Hannelore,I didn't feel better after vomiting, it made it worse. A shot of demerol and 3 days in bed helped cure the last one. Moving out on my own cured them forever.

I guess mine were stress induced. I am always concerned with headaches because Mom had an aneurysm.

Dianne, you had Botox for the headaches, am I right? Do you have to continue the shots?

chick

#102720 - 02/28/07 06:06 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: chickadee]
NewLeaf Offline

Botox?? Never heard of its use for migraines. What does it do? I just learned that my oldest daughter fainted in the bathroom and landed on her face! She bled and her husband had to take care of her, this all from eating lasagne from the grocery store and getting horrible stomach cramps and a migraine.

#102721 - 03/01/07 02:22 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: NewLeaf]
chickadee Offline

How is your daughter doing today, Newleaf? Was it packaged lasagne or from the deli? Hope she feels better.

chick

#102722 - 03/01/07 03:13 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: chickadee]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Hope your daughter is better.

I get Botox injections about every eight months. I know when it's wearing off because the Migraines will start again.

The doctor will create a map from where the pain starts and how it spreads. So, they inject the middle of my forehead and work toward the temples, above my ears and up toward the top of my scalp.

I need to say that some people have inward Migraines so Botox doesn't work on them. I must have outward ones because it does the trick for me. The only way you know is by trying. My dermatologist does mine.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102723 - 03/01/07 05:51 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Dianne]
NewLeaf Offline

I would ask if it hurts, but I'm sure the pain from the migraine is much worse.

Thanks for sharing that information.

#102724 - 03/01/07 06:55 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: NewLeaf]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
WHERE IS MEREDITH? It's been a couple of weeks since she posted!

#102725 - 03/01/07 08:01 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: gims]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Meredith is around; just got an email from her this week. She's fine.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved