The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#102697 - 01/18/07 07:03 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Chatty, I haven't gotten anything recently.

From the beginning, the pain has been manageable. Even the worst of it -- back in March when I pulled out my lower back and couldn't even get out of bed to go to the bathroom for 2 1/2 hours; and more recently when my hip was out and foot immobile, and it took 30 minutes to walk one block -- the pain is nothing compared to some of my migraines. I try to keep that in perspective. Since I go through so much heavy pain meds for my head, I try not to use them otherwise, unless absolutely necessary. I have a cornucopia of ice packs and muscle rubs. Some days they work, and sometimes not.

since I've been painting cabinets, my back is borderline not-happy -- but so far, still functioning. I figured if I wait till all the pain goes away before doing anything, I'll be in bed for the rest of my life.

Smilinize, I had at least 2 months of weekly acupuncture for my migraines, and it didn't do a thing. However, that doesn't mean it won't work for something else. The quality of life is priceless, so I do what I need to.

And when we have our Boomer convention -- unless I'm in a wheelchair, I'll be dancing! even if just a little bit.

Poet and essayist

#102698 - 01/18/07 01:41 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Meredith, you may have mentioned it before but what do you take for your Migraines?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102699 - 01/19/07 06:16 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Dianne]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Dianne, you probably forgot because the list is so long

Meds: beta-blockers (Imitrex - pill and injection, Maxalt); pain killers (codeine-tylenol, vicodin, morphine pills)

supplements: mega-dose of riboflavin; will soon start mega-dose of magnesium

plus stretching exercises.

Tried other meds in the past that were useless. Also -- since the majority of my migraines are caused by degenerative arthritis in my neck, I tried muscle relaxants but they all gave me headaches and made me too hyper.

Also bio-feedback a long time ago, which was useless as well. And shiatsu, and acupressure.

Poet and essayist

#102700 - 01/19/07 08:35 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Meredith
I've always thought of you as someone who might have been into yoga. I re-started it about 2 years ago and find it fascinating and rewarding. I tried it at my gym but kept getting injured, so went to an actual studio. Everyone in the class has been majorly injured or experiences some level of pain, including the teacher who's sensitive to our pains and has figured out ways for each of us to move to avoid undue pressure in those areas or to learn to strengthen those areas. She also is sensitive to certain types of weather that make us feel particularly stiff or achy -- and it's not just on the cold rainy days.

Progress is subtle but unmistakable -- in only two years I'm stronger and more flexible than ever. What's truly inspiring is that there are women in their 70s (at least) who've been at it for 10 or so years and are actually the most agile in the room! It's never too late to start. It seems like a miracle exercise/discipline -- but you need a teacher who understands its meditative, inner nature and who continues to learn her or himself. I do prefer the women teachers because it seems that the men don't completely understand the differences in how our bodies move.

#102701 - 01/19/07 10:14 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: DJ]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
DJ is so right. Yoga does amazing things for you plus, have you ever known someone who practices it and how calm they are?

I know I sound like I'm kicking a dead horse here but I've mentioned the only thing that stopped my Migraines was Botox. The doctor needs an explanation of the pattern of them so they can chart the injections. It has changed my life. A nuerologist can do it.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102702 - 01/20/07 12:13 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I just have to get my praise in for yoga, too. I have been practicing yoga, on and off, since I was in high school. About 4 years ago, I was experiencing debilitating migranes. Yoga was the answer for me.

I go to a yoga class twice a week and fit in a dvd in between. Please, don't try to learn it on your own, go to a good class with a good instructor.

How do you know a good class and instructor? The class will be small (15 at the most - the class I take is 5) and the instructor will walk around during the class making adjustments, helping individuals. In addition, a great teacher will ask you about your body and physical health. They will find poses for you that work for you and modify all poses to work with your body.

#102703 - 01/20/07 04:34 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Anno]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Hi, I don't know about accupuncture, but you might try Bowen Therapy. This modality works on the fascia of the muscles and I've found it very effective. I sprained my back last week and was very limited. Then I saw my Bowen Therapist and it's incredibly much better! Here's a list of practitioners: http://bowendirectory.com/

#102704 - 01/20/07 05:40 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Casey]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Meredith,
I just can't imagine you not in motion. I hate the idea of you being in pain. I wish I could help.

I wonder if you had a good acupuncturist. I tried one who did no good at all before I found the Oriental guy who practically saved my life.

The way you describe the problem with your hip sounds like it might originate in your spine. I had similar problems last year and was told I had a torn ligament with ruptured disk. I was advised to have spinal surgery. Seems like I know a lot of people who have had back surgery and not a one seems much improved. I opted to try Spinal decompression therapy first and it worked.

I've also had low level laser treatments that helped a knee problem. The guy who treated me with the laser went back for another doctorate and I could never see him. He advised me I could give the treatments to myself so I ordered my own low level laser devise from Russia. I haven't needed to use it yet, but if it works, I'll let you know. Hey, the instructions say it is good for wrinkles too so maybe I'll have smooth skin on my back, knee, shoulder, and ankle.

Hang in there. Keep smiling and do everything you can to get away from the pain. It's out to steal all your fun.

smile

#102705 - 01/27/07 05:12 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

OK, I'm rambling. Yoga might be good. It always seemed too slow before, but might be a new direction for me.

My sister sustained a serious shoulder stretch injury on rowing machine, she was in such pain, she could not lift her baby up from the crib.

So she got into yoga. Even had her own yoga centre teaching others for awhile. It changed her body for the better.

As for migraines, I knew someone who would get such bad migraines regularily that she blacked out and would become nauseated. She sounded like totally different person over the phone. She had acupuncture treatment every 3-4 months. Found it helpful.

Every person is different.

Whenever I get lower back pain..it's a sign to me, that I have not done my pilates, basic yoga exercises. Very relaxing exercises where I don't sweat enough. But every bit helps me keep stretched.

#102706 - 02/09/07 05:39 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I took my first yoga class today, after my regular weight workout. It was at a time that I usually don't have available, but there are other classes at different times with other instructors. I really like this teacher, though.

Tomorrow and the next day, I get to see just how sore sore really is.

Poet and essayist

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved