The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#102677 - 01/11/07 05:39 AM acceptance ... or not?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'll start close to the beginning, so those of you who are not totally familiar with this can follow.

In early October, my left hip sort of pulled out when I was dancing. I wasn't even jumping up and down or moving fast, just some low smooth moves and something went SNAP -- didn't hear anything so much as felt it.

One month later, hip was not much healed and I was barely able to walk, when my right foot got all swollen and I couldn't bend my toes at all. Like I had sprained it, except that NOTHING had happened to explain this. So another month of almost not walking.

X-rays show nothing broken. I also had blood tests to see if the cancer had metastasized to the bone. Blood work showed nothing. Osteopenia, which I've had for years, has not advanced to osteoporosis. Basically, both of these problems are due to advancing arthritis.

Right now, hip has low-level ambient pain but that's no biggie. I've regained some mobility but still limping. Some of foot swelling is down, but not all. Toes still stiff. But I'm looking at maybe not being able to dance again, which fires my soul, or hiking which I also love.

At what level do we accept our limitations?

I can visualize me hiking or dancing, but is that realistic if my body continues to degenerate? Is it better to accept, or to keep hoping? I guess I'm not ready to give up yet, but I don't want to delude myself with false optimism.

Thoughts?

Poet and essayist

#102678 - 01/11/07 07:28 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Meredith, I think the best way is a little of both.

Accepting your limitations, but keeping posted on the latest medical developments. Everyday new medications come out. I would keep my hope up, and stay informed. I would concentrate on targeted therapy. Isn't swimming a good sport for arthritis? Maybe you can try to do sports that way.

It must be very hard, especially if you love to move. Believe me, I'll let you know if I ever hear of any new discoveries to combat arthritis.

#102679 - 01/11/07 11:46 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I read somewhere that "only those who risk going top far can possibly know how far they can go." Keep your dreams and visualize yourself dancing and doing all the things you love. It may not be the same but it will give you comfort and make you smile. Like Hannelore says, we never know when someone will make a bold discovery, a cure. Swimming is good for arthritis, many Seniors here in the resort swim daily which loosens them up so walking is easier for them. I know its hard but never give up....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#102680 - 01/11/07 12:17 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I think we have to pay some attention to our limitations, Meredith. You wouldn't want to go too far and cause more damage, but I don't think you should give up or stop hoping. There are new things everyday. During a recent visit with my cardiologist, he told me to "fight back." I wasn't too sure what he meant at first, but I'm starting to get it.

#102681 - 01/11/07 03:28 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Louisa]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Meredith, I just told my husband that I'm becoming an arthritic old woman. My shoulder and now my left wrist. I've been taking aleve and also doing some Yoga. I've heard that light weight bearing exercises also help.

Sorry you're going through this. It's depressing.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102682 - 01/11/07 03:28 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Louisa]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have erosive arthritis.I cannot take antiinflamion drugs due to severe reaction so have to "take things sensibly"
There is a time of grief at the loss of what i could do.I was a graceful person and danced. What keeps me going is that when I did these things I was good.I did my best.I dont like when I drop things.....feel frustrated.I think surely I can still hold on to things.Still my hands dont clasp onto things.I would never give in and accept I am not going to regain flexibilty.I have been told this will pass but that I must respect my hands in order not to damage more.
Keep possitive...rest well eat sensibly and have faith.
Mountain Ash

#102683 - 01/11/07 03:51 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Acceptance and resignation are different, and keeping this in mind may help. "You are where you are right now," this is acceptance. "You will never get better" is resignation.

Continue to visualize your dream life and accept where you are at each moment. While accepting, keep positive by focusing on what is absolutely right in your life and what is right about the arthritis.

Just my thoughts.

#102684 - 01/11/07 11:35 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Anno]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I have pain on and off in my lower back and right hip, especially since the elevator malfunction. Sometimes it's debilitating. I love to dance (ballet when younger and I'm still a rocker). But when I try it now sometimes I get hurt and suffer for days. I have accepted that I have a problem. Doesn't mean I don't keep trying every now and then, like when a movie has a great soundtrack and I just can't sit still or I put on some music I like because I miss it so much. I just don't know how people can listen to music and not move. Know your limitations, try it and see what happens, and be willing to accept the consequences. Rock on!

Edited by Saundra (01/11/07 11:36 PM)
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#102685 - 01/12/07 08:39 AM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: Saundra]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Thanks all for your concern and suggestions. I always said I'd go down dancing or fighting.

I'm medically aware, eat well, and always exercized. Some days I feel my body has let me down and it can be a bit depressing. I don't like this feeling of fragility. It's as if I'm watching a stranger, like a clock winding down. I'm at 8:45 right now, which is odd because I never understood time before. That would give me to age 65. A psychic told me I'd be here until 89 but he got some other things wrong too.

OK, I'm rambling. Yoga might be good. It always seemed too slow before, but might be a new direction for me. Water makes me panic.

Does anyone know if accupuncture works for arthritis? It didn't work for my migraines, but I'd be willing to try again if it might help this.

Poet and essayist

#102686 - 01/12/07 03:58 PM Re: acceptance ... or not? [Re: meredithbead]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Everything is worth trying at least for a while. How about hypnosis? Some people have great success with that.

My guy has parkinson's disease and he found out from the doctor this week, that given the rate of his progression, the prognosis is two to five years before disability. He is an athletic, hockey, tennis and general fitness, so this has been very troublesome for him. We danced at a wedding last month, I just had to take the lead while he leaned on me.

I hope you find the right way to slow down your clock.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved