The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#101337 - 01/05/07 12:25 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Maybe all Irish people don't eat it, but my mom and her family did. Maybe they inherited it from German friends or something. Who knows? All I know is that I never had the guts to try it.

#101338 - 01/05/07 08:37 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: Lola]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Here's another new year's day good luck recipe, but my husband likes it at anytime of the year.

Ham & Beans

1 pound of navy beans
2 smoked ham hocks
1 quart of chicken broth
1-2 thick slices of onion
1 garlic clove, chopped

In a large bowl of water, soak the beans over night at room temperature. Next morning, drain the beans. Place drained beans in a crock-pot and add the ham hocks, chicken broth, and onion & garlic. Cover and cook on low for about 5 hours, or until beans are tender. If salt is needed, salt beans at this point. Serve with hot buttered corn bread. Deeee-lish!

#101339 - 01/05/07 11:13 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: Cookie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Now ya talkin' Cookie! That's my kind of meal. (Mouth watering here...)

Lola, I would have a hard time feasting on something called "rolled mop." I'd keep looking at the one in the corner of my kitchen....mop. Jellied eel? Again, no, no, no, freakin' way...You couldn't pay me. Pickled onions, pickled eggs, alongside pie & mash - I'm in. Bring it on! Oh...mash is mash potatoes, right?

#101340 - 01/06/07 12:08 AM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: Lola]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I have eaten pickled herring all my life and love it. We just call it herring. It's in almost every market everywhere. JJ, no fireworks! Funny how some specialy foods are everywhere yet we think it's only our country or our people.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#101341 - 01/06/07 09:40 AM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: Saundra]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
It's mashed potatoes, JJ. We'd be safe with that one. I eat eels though but only when it's sushi. Oh, I have been corrected by a visiting Brit in my home...it's rollmop. Tomayto, tomahto...I say, I say...a red herring to me.

Hi, Saundra: I've never had herring and have had only pickled anchovies and love them especially in the way they are prepared in Italy and Spain. Pickled herrings are actually sold at street kiosks in Scandinavian countries very much like we would come across hotdog stands in the States. Eaten on the go as well. I'm probably prepped up to try it in the future.

And, as a most peculiar chap, my Brit friend sings:

"You shall have a fishy
On a little dishy
When the boat comes in."

#101342 - 01/06/07 11:43 AM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Christmas Eve at our familys home was always smelts. Had to have fried smelts and pasta of course, we are Italian after all. They have pickled herring and creamed herring in a white sause that is somewhat milder than the pickled. I am not crazy for either. Now mashed potatoes with real cream, butter and a bit of parsley and garlc, bring it on, I could eat a vat of the stuff, yum, yum....burp!

Edited by chatty lady (01/06/07 11:44 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#101343 - 01/06/07 01:30 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: chatty lady]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
In our house this is the good luck New Year's recipe.
www.gardenandhearth.com/gardencooking/georgian-recipes.htm
My husband's father is from the Republic of Georgia.

#101344 - 01/06/07 03:22 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: TVC15]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Chatty, what is smelt?

Robin, yum, yum, and more yum....that recipe is so simple! I could even do that. Wow...and it sounds so good. I got to quit reading your site! It's making me hungry. And they only lived to 95 and 100....humph! Cut down in their prime...I MUST make this!

#101345 - 01/06/07 03:33 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi JJ,
There were three siblings, his sister died a bit younger but not by much.
They eat very little sweets over there, so this is like a special treat when they have it.
They do eat a lot of fresh vegetables and not too much meat. In the recipe book I have the recipes use a lot of walnuts, and walnut oil. Oh, and pomagranite.
Our cousin's wife makes a salad she calls French Salad, but in the recipe book I have they call it something else. It's like potato salad but they also add cooked carrots and peas and pickles. (there's more but can't remember right now) It's very good.
The thing I found surprising is that their wine is very sweet, (the one I've tried anyway) I liked it a lot.

#101346 - 01/06/07 03:39 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: TVC15]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I bet reading that book was a treat in itself. I love reading all the different recipes, especially from other countries, don't you?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved