The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#100094 - 12/22/06 03:00 AM Radical Hysterectomy
whittlewoman Offline

Loc: upstate New York
On January 4, 2007, I am having a radical hysterectomy through laporoscopic surgery due to a mass that is growing in my uterus. Advice or information anyone? To say I am nervous, anxious and simply terrified is understatement. In my 58 years I have managed to stay out of hospitals except to set a few broken bones. I really like the doctor who is doing the surgery but I've never turned my body over to anyone to do such a critical change.

#100095 - 12/22/06 05:12 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
My best friend had a hysterectomy about two years ago due to cervical cancer. They caught it early and she is doing well now.

She was relatively fit prior to surgery, so I think that helped with recovery time. I went to stay with her for a few days after the surgery and she didn't even really need me. She was in the hospital for the day of the surgery, and two nights following. The laproscopy makes it much easier to recover than the old way where you had a large incision and a lot of cut muscle to heal.

I think the most trouble she had was with getting her hormones figured out after the surgery, since she hadn't started menopause yet.

I think you'll be fine, and we'll be with you!! Keep us posted okay?

Kathy

#100096 - 12/22/06 06:13 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Whittlewoman: I had total hysterectomy earlier this year (TAH/BSO) for suspected OC which was ruled out after the procedure. All turned out well in the end. It is a natural thing to be anxious about the surgery as it is a major procedure afterall. I don't think you would find any ladies-in-waiting who had not been terrified before undergoing surgery. The most important thing is to speak to the medical team prior to the day of your operation if you want to know details i.e. duration of procedure, type anesthesia and your options i.e. epidural, length of stay at the hospital, HRT etc.

My procedure took just 25 minutes, horizontal incision, sitting up in less than 36 hours, walking and showered in 48 on my own. The activity will be encouraged. The sooner you are on your feet, the better. No lifting for a long time. For the first week, you are allowed to lift nothing heavier than two cups of coffee. Try to arrange a nest in the house where you can relax and have everything within reach. No bending as well. Purchase a lot of peppermint tea or cordial to drink after surgery as soon as you are able to take anything by mouth. If you are having abdominal incison, take a pillow with you to prop in-between your tummy and the seatbelt on your ride home.

Recovery rate varies from woman to woman so I can only speak from my own experience. But, there is a light at the end of the tunnel for all for all hyster sisters. Let me know if there is anything further and specific that concerns you pre and post operation. Hyster sisters always "pay forward" and I am only willing to be able to do that.

#100097 - 12/22/06 02:41 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Whittle, I just want to share with you an interesting medical experience I had.

Twelve years ago my gynaecologist told me I had to have a hysterectomy. I had extreme menstrual problems. Anyway I was really upset that he decided to do something that radical, I mean wasn't there anything else he could give me to control the strong periods.?

That night I checked into internet, and found an interesting site. It warned about how gynaecologists earn the most through hysterectomies. Wow, I thought this is interesting. I read for hours, and came upon a post that suggested stop taking hormone pills, since they could be the cause for the massive bleedings.

My operation was scheduled that week. I stopped the pills, told the doc to postpone the operation and waited to see if any change would come. The next month everything was back to normal. I visited another gynaecologist who said there is absolutely no need for me to have a hysterectomy.

Isn't this unbelievable! I swear it's all true. Internet saved me from that operation.

Please consider that I'm telling you only my own personal experience. I know there are very valid reasons to have a hysterectomy done; especially if you have cancer! I'm just suggesting that maybe you should just get a second opinion.

I just hope this post will help some woman out there, just like I was helped as well.

#100098 - 12/23/06 12:25 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Edelweiss]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I had a total abdominal hyst almost 6 years ago. I had never been in the hospital for anything and to say I was scared would be an understatement. So, whittlewoman, I can understand completely where you're coming from.
I had my surgery on a Fri morning and was home by Sunday afternoon. I followed my doc's orders during recovery and didn't have any problems. It took a while to get my hormone issues straightened out after the surgery (I hadn't started menopause at the time of surgery) but eventually that worked out too. I found a lot of support at a website www.hystersisters.com, the gals there were terffic and really helped me out a lot.....to the point where I ended up being a hostess on the site for almost 5 years. It was discovered during my surgery that I was loaded with endometriosis, adenomyosis, and had a cyst on my left ovary. My periods were extremely heavy and painful. Life got much better after my hysterectomy!
Hang in there, the anticipation is worse than anything. I will wish for all the best for you. Keep us informed as to how you're doing.........before, during, and after surgery!

#100099 - 12/23/06 03:20 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Edelweiss Offline

CrosstitchQueen Maybe I corresponded with you on the www.hystersisters.com site! I'm forever grateful that I found that site.

#100100 - 12/23/06 06:54 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Edelweiss]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
popea had that opperasion when she was 30 apart from the recovery the hormone replacment so important, what she has had to go throw when it they went haywire no one should have to endure so i second lola in getting insight into that before the operasion. i give popea a shout in a minet to read your post....

i got scanned a couple weeks ago from gynie and descovered cysts on left overie and right i think excuse spelling but it called pollycystick overies, which explanes similare experiences that already mentioned, heavy excessive bleeding for 14 days and mega pain. Little chance of conciving and carrieing child to full term (what a miricale L was) it explanes repeativly lossing the children i had carried. The treatment is firstly a Marina, secondly hormone replacment (which coused hanna's symptoms!!!) or final choice is taken the works out.... like yourself i never been near hopitals apart to give birth and have tonsils out when i was 3, hate the places and having to stay in bed....

I also want another child, i got limited chance's due to age and health but if the marine dose it's job reducing the periods severity and pain and the polycystick stuff clears up then i got a higher chance of carrieing to full term, i got my fingers crossed.

I also got to have a general anesthetic as their looking for endemetriousise and some other stuff while i am unconcise....this aint as bad or sever as what you going throw but i cant waite to get it over with mid January as i just found out but i scared of the process and what else they might find....

goodluck and let us know what happens whittle.

i am glade you posted this couse i been keeping that bit of info to myself, fear, worrie and being blue about it....and the bigger picture re more kids and past misscared ones

celtic_flame

omg i dont have anymore secrites you ladies have gotten them all lol

#100101 - 12/23/06 07:30 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: celtic_flame]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Hi Whittlewoman

My experience after most of my menstrating life was horrific...I was lucky if I had a week of some comfort from pain, bleeding, insomnia and mood swings, etc. I found out about three tears before my FAH, that I was progesterone sensitive...so all of the hrt treatments to control my symptoms were sending me crazy.
I was a shell of a woman before the op, but found solace inchatting with my GP...she was brilliant...other women who had gone through similar experiences helped me greatly aslo.

My consultant was fab and treated me so well, explaining every wee detail of my pre and post op treatment. When the surgery was taking place...they found and removed several ovarian cysts...one of which was cancerous. I did not have to have any oncology treatment after the op...so I am a very lucky lass indeed.

Whittle...I have never looked back in so many ways sinse then. Keep talking to anyone who will listen with a kind heart. Do not be afraid to become informed by the professionals...ask them everything no matter how silly.

Once you get the hormonal side fine tuned...you will be grand. Take all the time you need to rest after the op....get your freinds to do the looking after for a while.

You are in my Prayers(even though you will be fine)

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#100102 - 12/23/06 11:55 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Poppie]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Hannalore -- it's very possible that we corresponded on the Hystersisters site! I spent a lot of time there and was a hostess on a couple of the forums for about 4 years.....I quit hostessing there about a year ago. I went by a different user name than the one I use here, though.
I agree about being forever grateful that I found that site when I needed it most -- I only had a week between an appt with my doc and the actual surgery.....the support I found at that website at that time in my life definitely helped to keep me sane!

#100103 - 12/24/06 12:21 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Lola Offline

Hi, Ann and Hannelore: I was also a hyster at Hystersisters! I crossed from there to BWS.

#100104 - 12/26/06 07:30 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Lola]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Whittle, my mom had that surgery 20+ years ago. The laporoscopy made it quick to recover and she was fine. Yes, she was afraid, too. She'd never been sick and only in a hospital to have me! Your fear is natural and healthy. I'd be worried if you weren't worried. Let us know how you're doing.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#100105 - 12/27/06 03:24 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Saundra]
whittlewoman Offline

Thank you all for your advice and sharing your own experiences. Now that Christmas has passed, I plan to simply get myself emotionally ready for this particular part of my life's journey. I've been reading and asking questions of everyone. My sister just gave me the hystersister's guide as well as another book about hysterectomies. During my healing I intend to follow doctor's orders, read, take at least one on-line course on traumatic brain injury and learn to play the harmonica.
I surely will keep in touch because I'm really enjoying the interaction amongst this group of sisters.

#100106 - 12/27/06 04:36 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Hi Whittle,

Count me in as another hyster sister, I loved going there and by the time I had my operation I was ready.

I had a TAH/LSO, my incision was a vertical incision. My uterus was large and so therefore it turned out I had adenomyosis and endometriosis and throw in a few fybroids there too. Anyway, I went in there with a good attitude, and I even took a couple of smiley stickers with me. I put one on my abdomen and a close caption sticker above it that said, "Are we having fun yet?" I just wanted to bring some humour to this experience. My doctor later told me that was the reason my surgery went well. Anyway, 2 days later I went home and 4 days later I went to the mall to get out of the house. I got tired sooner than I usually would, but I recovered very well. So anyway, attitude and lots of prayer. Unfortunately, two years later I had my right ovary removed by laporascopy, I went home that very day. The waiting is the hardest part always. I don't regret having the hysterectomy done, at least I can plan a day at the beach. I couldn't do that before. The only negative experience I have had is enduring an emotional roller coaster for awhile. I did go into menopause as well. But I look at it this way, I am getting it over with. I do not take any HRT either, but that was my choice. I just didn't want to have to pop another pill in my mouth. You've recieved some very good advise.

Those who were former hystersister's what were your user names? Mine was Tilos and I had my operation in May '02. I really loved that board, and I wanted to find another forum with a different subject to go to, but I couldn't find anything like it. That is, until I came here.

Alright Whittle, I know you will be alright, and remember the waiting is indeed the hardest.

Cheers,
Cathi

#100107 - 12/29/06 01:24 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Wisdom&Life]
whittlewoman Offline

Oh my stomach is definitely knotted as January 4 nears. I have a pre-op appointment on 1/2 at 10:00. I've been gathering my questions. I so appreciate all the information shared here and on the hyster sisters site. I guess that the waiting for the unknown is always the strangest and most anxiety producing. I am confident that I will survive and heal but getting to the actual surgery is making me so unsettled.

#100108 - 12/29/06 02:38 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

We'll be with you, girl! Please keep us posted...

Kathy

#100109 - 12/30/06 04:28 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
whittlewoman Offline

I definitely will talk about my healing process. Thanks for wanting to be updated.

#100110 - 01/01/07 12:09 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

My user name on Hystersisters was Peachybabe. (I never was crazy about that user name, but at the time I registered on the site, my mind was in a turmoil about upcoming surgery, and I had to come up with a name......my dogs were lying nearby, their names were Peaches and Babe.....and there you have it!!)
I still check out the site and post on it occaisonally under that name.

#100111 - 01/01/07 04:39 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Yes, that sounds familiar to me! At that time, Shashi had started a thread asking us how we came up with our user names. I wrote a story about mine, LOL.

Whittle, please try to get as much rest before hand as possible! Don't over do anything at this point. A good rest before hand will make your recovery even better.

Cheers,
Cathi

#100112 - 01/01/07 06:58 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Wisdom&Life]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Whittlewoman, I had this surgery back in the early 80's. Best thing that ever happened to me. I want to tell you something very important. Two things, actually. Although you are having the surgery that shortens the recovery time, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE TWO RULES:

A) DO NOT SWEEP anything. Do not even stand next to a broom. Sweeping uses the muscles that haven't had time to recuperate from the surgery and will land you back in bed, flat on your back, on pain killers for weeks. And yes, I did NOT heed this advice. DO NOT SWEEP ANYTHING. If this surgery had happened to me NOW, there wouldn't be that danger. I rarely clean. LOL!

B)DO NOT DRIVE until your doc says you can. Even riding in a car will also hinder your recovery. Some people will tell you that they drove AND swept two weeks after surgery and experienced no probs whatsoever. Cool...good for them. Do you want to find out if you fall within that SMALL percentage of people? I hope not.

Get books, movies, or whatever. Enjoy the solace. Enjoy the downtime. Write, read, watch movies, call friends, meditate...this is your bodies time to heal itself and it WILL...if given proper respect.

I wish you well. I'm telling you, it was the best thing that ever happened to me....well, except that one time when that guy ----uh...nevermind.

#100113 - 01/01/07 09:58 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Whittlewoman our Queen JJ forgot one big thing to do....POST in here as we will all be worried and thinking of you. Praying for a positive outcome and speedy recovery. You listen to JJ, okay cause she's right on with what she said....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#100114 - 01/04/07 03:32 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm thinking of you today. You'll feel soooo much better after this surgery. I can promise you that!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#100115 - 01/05/07 08:25 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Dianne]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Good thing you work with your hands, you can widdle away while recuperating....We'll be praying for you.

#100116 - 01/05/07 08:30 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
whittlewoman, hope you're on the road to recovery! Thinking of you

Poet and essayist

#100117 - 01/05/07 09:18 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: meredithbead]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Whittle,
Having been there, I would like to add my prayers for a speedy recovery.
Mine was at thirty for cancer that involved the uterus and other areas so I had a huge abdominal incision and because I was sole support for two children, I had to go back to work a week later.
Don't do that. Take your time. Get out of the hospital as soon as possible to avoid infections and be up as much as you can, but rest a lot and take all the pain medicine you need.
Surround yourself with boomer prayers and know you will soon be well.
smile

#100118 - 01/05/07 07:16 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: smilinize]
Lola Offline

Hi, Whittle: I wish you a good recovery. Rest! Rest! And more of it. Remember: no lifting, pulling or pushing. Try to take a few steps at a time. Shuffle if you must but make sure you get the circulation in the legs again.

#100119 - 01/05/07 07:24 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery out of the 'sheety' situation! Let us know how you're doing.

#100120 - 01/06/07 05:39 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Edelweiss]
whittlewoman Offline

I wanted to take a few moments to update my situation. I had a complete/radical? hysterectomy Thursday, 1/4. The surgery was done using the da Vinci robot which assisted the gynelogic oncologist to make four incision in my abdomen in order to remove my fallopian tubes, ovaries, uterus and cervix. The mass growing in my uterus was much larger than expected so it was removed throguh my vagina by making two incisions. While it is expected to be benign, the mass is being tested now. The surgery took 3+ hours but I have no memory of going to the operating room. After about 30 hours in the hospital I came home last night and went to bed. I've needed very little pain meds but those incisions in my abdomen are a bit tender. I have a huge pillow protecting the area when I cough. Our two cats think the pillow is placed their for them to lay and watch me. There is some blood when I urinate but that seems negligible and painless. I intend to go very slowly and let myself heal. Thanks so much for your concern, prayers and advice to someone you have yet to get to know. Now I'm going back to bed for a while.

#100121 - 01/06/07 06:30 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
chickadee Offline

Whittle,
It is good to rest all you can. Glad to hear that your surgery is over. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery for you.
You are right in a sense that we have to get to know you but Boomers are sisters and we take care of our own no matter how long we've known each other. Let this be your healing ground.
I think the cat's just want to get attention but I can imagine them trying to get to you and you swooshing them away.
The hardest thing I found about an operation was if someone made me laugh. It hurt so good.
Hang in there whittle and let us know if there is anything we can do to make your day brighter.

chick

Edited by chickadee (01/06/07 06:32 PM)

#100122 - 01/06/07 06:45 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: chickadee]
Lola Offline

Glad to hear from you so soon after the surgery, Whittle. Rest well. Again: no lifting, pulling or pushing.

Oh, I forgot to mention...I crossed over to BWS during my post-op recovery.

Edited by Lola (01/06/07 06:58 PM)

#100123 - 01/06/07 06:56 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Lola]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Glad to hear you're home. Take care of yourself!

Kathy

#100124 - 01/07/07 12:09 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
celtic_flame Offline

Good to hear the surgery is over and that you are ok but needing to heal. was thinking and praying for ya.

It is really touching that thes (above) woman are full of care and support even if you are relitivly new to the board. The really nice thing is that they don't want anything from anyone. Thats one of the things that make this place as special and as fun as it is, well i think so anyway.

celtic_flame

#100125 - 01/07/07 04:55 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: celtic_flame]
whittlewoman Offline

I like the sleep that I'm getting. It has always been the most effective healing technique anytime I'm sick with something. Wneh I awake I have short conversations with Lynn, watch a little TV, check in with my Mom and crochet on a bag I'm making to carry and protect Lynn's tripod. She's an excellent photographer and I got her a tripod for Christmas to work on stationary, time delayed, nighttime shots and portraits. I am so excited to have extended time off from work even if our finances are squeezed to breaking. I'm hoping to retire from working for anyone else in 3 years. I figure I'll alawys be the working poor so I might as well become the retired poor. I've tried to whittle my financial needs down to a minimum over the years and I want to have control over the use of my time more than I need money. In retirement I figure I can build sheds, re-wire electric lights, do some part-time work and live on that money I'll have coming in. I guess I'll have to find the right category to discuss future plans. I think the bed is calling.

Edited by whittlewoman (01/07/07 05:06 PM)

#100126 - 01/07/07 05:06 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Edelweiss Offline

Glad to hear the worst is behind you whittlewoman.

Celtic_Flame, did I miss a post? Are you going to be operated on now too? All I know is you got your hair dyed blond. How did it come out?

#100127 - 01/08/07 08:13 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Our prayers were answered Nicki and you're on the mend....

Celtic your comment is so true. It always has been this way since I myself joined BWS, and each day it gets better and better. I have never been among so many decent, caring and giving women, and you're right again, they expect nothing in return for their friendship. What a blessed place this is.

Edited by chatty lady (01/08/07 08:14 AM)

#100128 - 01/09/07 01:28 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
whittle, isn't it great to have time to rest and relax. even though you may not feel your best, you have a great excuse to take it easy. It's like you have permission to take it easy. Make the most of it. Milk it. It won't last forever!

Hey chats, sounds like a testimonial to me. HA!

#100129 - 01/09/07 04:06 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Whittle, I'm with everyone else in that I'm so happy to hear it's behind you now and the healing has begun. Bask in the sleep you're enjoying as it is your bodies way of saying, "I'm doing my job of healing you."

When you can, drop by and let us know how you are progressing, won't you?

I wish you lived closer to me, I would hire you to build a shed for me. How cool would that be? I admire you for having these skills. Sigh....I own a screwdriver...does that count? No wait, I have two flashlights too. Course, only one of them works.

#100130 - 01/10/07 02:36 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

May I join in the good wishes being sent to you.
At age 47 I had my hysterectomy and bi lateral ooperectomy.It did take several months to get fully fit but if you rest and relax life will get better than it was.
You may feel weepy...i hope not but if so.you have all of us here.
Sleep well
Mountain Ash

#100131 - 01/11/07 06:49 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Mountain Ash]
whittlewoman Offline

Since I last wrote about my healing, I have been knocked down with strep throat! My throat was so raw and felt as if it contained fire. I haven't been able to swallow, drink, eat or talk. For 2 days the doctor's office treated me with tylenol and gargling with salt water. That had no helpful effect so they finally decided that I somehow contracted strep throat and needed an antibiotic. I've been taking Keflex for 24 hours and already the pain is diminishing and I can finally swallow. Chatty, thanks so much for the cards. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to cheer me on.

#100132 - 01/11/07 11:18 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Do you think it's possible you caught it in the hospital? Feel better. Glad to hear they gave you some meds that are working.

#100133 - 01/12/07 05:21 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy
Edelweiss Offline

Maybe you got it from sticking your head out of the car roof all the time. heh heh
Just kidding, to cheer you up.
Everything bad comes in threes...hope this was the third case and you'll be feeling like new again very soon!

#100134 - 01/14/07 06:41 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Edelweiss]
whittlewoman Offline

Hannelore, I just cannot be contained! The antiobiotic has had a positive effect. I am now drinking and eating so I don't feel like I am not only sick but dehydrated from being sick. Yesterday, I actually showered, dressed and talked Lynn into taking me out of the house. We did a abbreviated grocery shopping run in expectation of a freezing rain or snowstorm being predicated for today into tomorrow. By the time we got to the checkout I did have to sit down and Lynn said I was looking sort of white. I told her I was caucasian but she said it was worse than that white. When we returned home I was definitely ready for a nap. I see the doctor on 1/17 to check out the healing process and see if I can drive yet. The best part of this surgical adventure is that I haven't smoked since 1/3/07! I had wanted to quit and major surgery seemed like an appropriate time to eliminate the urge. So far I have had only an occasional moment of interest that has been easily ignored.

#100135 - 01/15/07 04:49 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Hi Whittle,

One thing I will tell you that happened to me during my recovery. I would feel good and antsy(SP) and start to do things. Such as cooking, shopping, etc. Then the next day I would be so exhausted and I would lay down all day. It took a friend of mine to point this out to me. Everytime she called me, I would tell her that I over did it yesterday and I was exhausted today. I hadn't realized this pattern until she pointed it out. Anyway, I just took baby steps from that time until I was done with my recovery period. I had a wonderful recovery. No matter how a person had their operation rather through a vertical/horizontal incision, laporscopy/vaginal, or vaginal. The inside stitching is the same and that is what needs the most recovery.

I am glad you are doing well Whittle, and thanks for letting us know how you are doing!

Cheers and Hugs,
Cathi

#100136 - 01/15/07 08:59 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Lola Offline

Hi, Whittle: I did not drive until six months post-op. My insurers would not cover me until after then. Just as well, as I could not anyway as I would tire very easily. At eight months post-op, I still feel some tugging when I overdo things but rest helps. I had an abdominal incision and although all seems to have fully healed, I was told that it takes a year to fully do so internally and was warned about adhesions. At this stage, I am still not pulling, pushing or lifting anything I cannot budge the first time around. Rest when you feel sapped of energy. It is the body's way of letting you know that it needs to be rested. Glad to know that you are coping well with post-op recovery.

#100137 - 01/15/07 11:40 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

I agree with Lola re the driving.Not to be too doomladen but this is a major surgery and there are no medals in having adhesions.Also once you start doing things you will tackle more and more tasks.I stayed from work for four months due to the nature (lifting pupils from wheelchairs)This way if there is further difficulties you know you did the best you could post operation.Once we are older its possible to have a prolapse from the "vault" so why make difficulties.Act like a Queen for a while.
Mountain ash

#100138 - 01/16/07 03:04 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Mountain Ash]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
I have a hysterectom about 15 years ago in my 40s. I was between husbands and my son spent most of his time at his dads. It took me a few months to stand for any time. I really don't remember how the shopping was done. The hardest part what getting up the same day as the surgery.

Check out Omaha Steaks and their partner site A La Zing. They deliver to the house, each item is packaged separately so you husband can take out just one steak or salmon at a time. A La Zing is precooked and frozen food. Also delivered to your home.

The key is visiting their websites for special prices. They have meals as little as $9.00 for 2 people. Haven't been disappointed by their food. Take it easy and let others do it for you.

When you are ready to pamper yourself, let me know.

#100139 - 01/17/07 01:58 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Phyllis0618]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Dear Whittle, I've been so busy I haven't been in the forum and I'm so glad you're doing well. Patient, heal thyself are not idle words. You're in charge, you can say NO! This is a good time to learn the NO word in case you're having trouble. Do everything JJ told you to and don't get her mad at you for not listening. She didn't get her queenship by being wrong!
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#100140 - 01/18/07 02:42 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Saundra]
whittlewoman Offline

Again, thanks for sharing your wisdom and experiences. I do recognize that my body has been traumatized by the surgery. Sleeping has always been the most effective way for my body to heal itself. I'm trying to eat and drink so that I don't get dehydrated. I've quit smoking in the process and tried to slow myself down by giving myself permission to be "lazy". I read as much as I can, keep my journal going and work on tiny projects that require little physical effort. Being lazy, naps, not working when awake have always been questionable behaviors in my growing up. This experience is a real test of which parts of the oppressive internal dialogue I have managed to discard.

#100141 - 01/18/07 06:18 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
I must tell you that after my uterus was removed 18 years ago, no more periods.

Still must laugh everytime at my yearly physical they ask:

When was your last period
Are you pregnant

I respond to unless I join the few that make medical history, I better not be pregnant.

Haven't had a period in 14 years and it feels great.

#100142 - 02/05/07 08:48 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Phyllis0618]
whittlewoman Offline

Well today marks 1 month and a day since my hysterectomy was done. I keep waiting for my body to regain its stamina. As I heal externlly and internally I slowly feel better but still I am fooled into feeling like I can so I do too much and lose the next day to exhaustion or shakiness...I guess that this healing process is just letting time and minimal exertion do thier job. Everyday I get a more sophisticated comprehension of what major surgery really means. That understanding is humbling and well as quite sobering.

#100143 - 02/05/07 09:19 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
madhatter Offline

Loc: North Florida
Hi, Whittle.

Welcome to the Big Girl's Club. That's what all of my friends who have had hyst's call ourselves.

Please, be patient with your body. I talk to a lot of women, and I can tell you--it may take up to six months or longer until you really feel like yourself again. You are steadily healing within. That's easy to forget!

I am a few years out, now, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I was faced with the same decision. Of course, I had tried everything else before having surgery.

Good luck to you in your continued healing...

#100144 - 02/22/07 05:23 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: madhatter]
whittlewoman Offline

Well, I had my second post op appointment yesterday and since my health insurance only allows 4-6 weeks revovery period for laparoscopic hysterrectomy, I have been released from care and can return to work immediately. Having spent these past weeks doinf very little and napping as often as my body seems to request, I am definitely not ready to return today and immediately begin being on my feet 8 hours per day cooking as well as doind direct care for people who need to be lifted and moved. So, whether I am paid or not, I've decided to go to a wellness center locally to exercise and rebuild my stamina so that my body and mind are really equally ready when I return on 3/5. That gives me 7 working days to make the transition from doing little to doing whatever I am asked to do. Retirement plans are firming themselves up following the weeks of following my own time schedule.

#100145 - 02/22/07 08:17 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
celtic_flame Offline

hope you manage ok whittlewomen with still a sort time to get physically ready for your work again. Its physically tiring and stressfull by what you have previously described so good luck getting ready
celtic

#100146 - 02/23/07 06:52 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: celtic_flame]
Lola Offline

And when you do go back to work, please listen to what your body tells you. When it starts to moan and groan, find a spot to rest. At 9 months post-op, the feeling of fatigue is gone but, I still feel some tug and pull when I overdo it. And I have a sedentary job! Glad to know recovery is progressive, Whittle.

#100147 - 02/23/07 02:23 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I wish you had more time off. It takes at least 6 weeks to get over the effects of being put to sleep, much less the healing. And since you have to lift things at work, i-ya-yai!

Please be mindful of your bodies signals. It will tell you when enough is enough. And let us know how you progress. I think everyone should get at least three months off from work when they have this MAJOR surgery. Just another way women are mistreated by the insurance companies, and big brother (corporations). I'll be praying for you, gal!

#100148 - 02/23/07 05:49 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: jawjaw]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Whittlewoman, You've received some good advice. Listen to your body. Take care of yourself. I hope you feel better soon.

It really shows how much times have changed. I had my surgery in the early 80's and I was given up to twelve weeks off work to recover. Doctor's orders. And the company I worked for abide by it.

Now, they want to cut ya, sew ya back up, and push you out the door. I was in the hospital for three days when they took my uterus and cervix in the early 90's. In the early 2000 when they took my ovaries I was in the hospital four days. The doctors wanted to keep me longer but the insurance company refused to pay for anymore days.

Insurance companies run our health care and that has to stop.

Edited by Vicki M. Taylor (02/23/07 05:50 PM)
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#100149 - 02/24/07 02:10 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
whittlewoman Offline

What this experience has done is provide me with first hand knowledge of what so many others are being put through.
I VOW to become a more active participant using my voice against the power of health care corporations to define health care in the US.

#100150 - 02/24/07 06:17 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have just come from the gynae ward...My husterectomy was 13 years ago.I believe it is a year until the body settles.Watch for thyroid problems.And rest.
My visit is a complicated story..not ready to share and not out of the woods yet.I am sceduled for surgery soon.
i have found a wonderful consultant and see light at the end of the tunnel.
I feel you are being asked to return too soon.
I wish you well and do take massive care when you go back by eating well and sleep.
Mountain ash

#100151 - 02/24/07 08:08 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Mountain Ash]
chickadee Offline

Whittle, maybe you could write a brochure for the medical comunity about this. JJ did one on Lewie Dementia and I am sure she could give her 2 cents on writing one, right JJ?
Mountain, let us know when surgery is scheduled and we'll keep you in prayer. Both of you, look after yourselves.

chick

#100152 - 02/25/07 03:47 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: chickadee]
Mountain Ash Offline

Thank you...i had laparocopy so I am sore..more surgery in about a month....after review.
My spirit is well.
Mountain ash

#100153 - 02/25/07 11:22 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Mountain Ash]
celtic_flame Offline

I not sure i am fullie understanding this...

yes i know that insurances payes opps/treatment for ailments etc....but do they also pay your sick leave, which if stoped would make you return to work earlier than one should? ....

Is that what whittle is saying? Anyone?
celtic

#100154 - 02/25/07 11:23 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

good to hear your spirite is well mountain, with that the physicall has got a big helping hand to getting better, keep feeling fresh love

celtic

#100155 - 02/25/07 11:29 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: celtic_flame]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Yes Celtic, that is what she's saying. Here in the states, some companies will only give you so much time off (never enough) to recover and then you either come back to work, or take LWOP (leave without pay).

Unless one is filthy rich, LWOP is not an option so many women return to work and they're bodies are not ready for this. Its so sad and downright WRONG!

I would gladly lend a hand in developing a brochure but who would you send it to? The best thing to do would be to start a campaign to get the workman's comp laws changed OR ... better yet, force the insurance companies to be more forgiving.

Moutain Ash, we will all be with you, and by all means, keep us posted!

#100156 - 02/26/07 09:12 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

Ureka...these are the differnces i am seeking to explore in another thread.
Celtic and Popea will know being this side of the "Pond"how ourn health service works.
Here you are signed off until able to work.Pay varies due to whatever contract you have from your workplace.
Family duties mean you may attempt too much but in my case after my hysterectomy I stayed off four months because I was in an active(lifting others) role.Had I been an office worker i would have returned sooner.Yet we are all women and need the same care.
The long term benefits of rest and return to normal help in the future care of gyna operations.Do walk and tone but lifing..no no.Even heavy shopping is out.
Mountain ash

#100157 - 02/26/07 11:06 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Mountain Ash]
celtic_flame Offline

woooow thats scandalise and i din't honestly know that was the situasion with aftercare......thats just shocking...best of luck in doing what you can to change that situasion, it sertinly deserves the attension

celtic

#100158 - 02/26/07 11:14 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

yea mountain
we sertinly got a good deal with the NHS, thats why i got weired about going private for the gynie stuff not the paying off the monie.....i love to see the NHS service improved and i would't want to go private too often becouse of the arguments that it just lets government off of its proper upkeep leading to it being run down more etc..etc.

limited sick leave and no alternitive but to work is just crazienes being run by an orginasiasion thats majour concern is with capital...still trying to take in the full implicasions of limited aftercare or long term illness even. thats a big bit of news to me
celtic

#100159 - 02/26/07 11:39 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: celtic_flame]
Mountain Ash Offline

Celtic
I too went "private" recently.At one time we were entitled to BUPA but refused due to out political bias and the wish to keep the NHS.I rethought this and am pleased like you.
Times are changing but the service I have just had was marvellous..
take care
Mountain

#100160 - 03/03/07 07:56 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Mountain Ash]
whittlewoman Offline

After I was severed from the doctor's care on 2/21 I enrolled myself in a wellness center locally. I talked to the physical therapist who set me up with an exercise routine with the goal of feeling more stamina and strenghtening my body to return to fulltime work on Monday, March 5. I've been going just about every day and it has made a difference. I feel more ready physically and emotionally. I am trying to be very conscious now of moving from healing to healed. I know that I will have to be careful and listen to my body but work beckons because bankruptcy is just around the corner if we don't get a regular paycheck coming in. Mountain Ash, I don't know what's happening to you but I'm concentrating energy and strength in your direction.

#100161 - 03/03/07 11:27 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
celtic_flame Offline

I happie to heer about your class and hope it's been effective for you and helped you reach your goals of stamina and strenth. Hope you will be well in your work i will be thinking about you.

celtic

#100162 - 03/03/07 01:21 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

whittle, I think exercise is as good for us emotionally as it is physically. Keep up the good work. Good for you for going to the wellness center. More and more of those are opening locally. I think it's great.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved