The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#100144 - 02/22/07 05:23 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: madhatter]
whittlewoman Offline

Loc: upstate New York
Well, I had my second post op appointment yesterday and since my health insurance only allows 4-6 weeks revovery period for laparoscopic hysterrectomy, I have been released from care and can return to work immediately. Having spent these past weeks doinf very little and napping as often as my body seems to request, I am definitely not ready to return today and immediately begin being on my feet 8 hours per day cooking as well as doind direct care for people who need to be lifted and moved. So, whether I am paid or not, I've decided to go to a wellness center locally to exercise and rebuild my stamina so that my body and mind are really equally ready when I return on 3/5. That gives me 7 working days to make the transition from doing little to doing whatever I am asked to do. Retirement plans are firming themselves up following the weeks of following my own time schedule.

#100145 - 02/22/07 08:17 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
hope you manage ok whittlewomen with still a sort time to get physically ready for your work again. Its physically tiring and stressfull by what you have previously described so good luck getting ready
celtic

#100146 - 02/23/07 06:52 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: celtic_flame]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
And when you do go back to work, please listen to what your body tells you. When it starts to moan and groan, find a spot to rest. At 9 months post-op, the feeling of fatigue is gone but, I still feel some tug and pull when I overdo it. And I have a sedentary job! Glad to know recovery is progressive, Whittle.

#100147 - 02/23/07 02:23 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I wish you had more time off. It takes at least 6 weeks to get over the effects of being put to sleep, much less the healing. And since you have to lift things at work, i-ya-yai!

Please be mindful of your bodies signals. It will tell you when enough is enough. And let us know how you progress. I think everyone should get at least three months off from work when they have this MAJOR surgery. Just another way women are mistreated by the insurance companies, and big brother (corporations). I'll be praying for you, gal!

#100148 - 02/23/07 05:49 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: jawjaw]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Whittlewoman, You've received some good advice. Listen to your body. Take care of yourself. I hope you feel better soon.

It really shows how much times have changed. I had my surgery in the early 80's and I was given up to twelve weeks off work to recover. Doctor's orders. And the company I worked for abide by it.

Now, they want to cut ya, sew ya back up, and push you out the door. I was in the hospital for three days when they took my uterus and cervix in the early 90's. In the early 2000 when they took my ovaries I was in the hospital four days. The doctors wanted to keep me longer but the insurance company refused to pay for anymore days.

Insurance companies run our health care and that has to stop.

Edited by Vicki M. Taylor (02/23/07 05:50 PM)
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#100149 - 02/24/07 02:10 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
whittlewoman Offline

Loc: upstate New York
What this experience has done is provide me with first hand knowledge of what so many others are being put through.
I VOW to become a more active participant using my voice against the power of health care corporations to define health care in the US.

#100150 - 02/24/07 06:17 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have just come from the gynae ward...My husterectomy was 13 years ago.I believe it is a year until the body settles.Watch for thyroid problems.And rest.
My visit is a complicated story..not ready to share and not out of the woods yet.I am sceduled for surgery soon.
i have found a wonderful consultant and see light at the end of the tunnel.
I feel you are being asked to return too soon.
I wish you well and do take massive care when you go back by eating well and sleep.
Mountain ash

#100151 - 02/24/07 08:08 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Mountain Ash]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Whittle, maybe you could write a brochure for the medical comunity about this. JJ did one on Lewie Dementia and I am sure she could give her 2 cents on writing one, right JJ?
Mountain, let us know when surgery is scheduled and we'll keep you in prayer. Both of you, look after yourselves.

chick

#100152 - 02/25/07 03:47 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: chickadee]
Mountain Ash Offline

Thank you...i had laparocopy so I am sore..more surgery in about a month....after review.
My spirit is well.
Mountain ash

#100153 - 02/25/07 11:22 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Mountain Ash]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
I not sure i am fullie understanding this...

yes i know that insurances payes opps/treatment for ailments etc....but do they also pay your sick leave, which if stoped would make you return to work earlier than one should? ....

Is that what whittle is saying? Anyone?
celtic

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved