The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#100134 - 01/14/07 06:41 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Edelweiss]
whittlewoman Offline

Loc: upstate New York
Hannelore, I just cannot be contained! The antiobiotic has had a positive effect. I am now drinking and eating so I don't feel like I am not only sick but dehydrated from being sick. Yesterday, I actually showered, dressed and talked Lynn into taking me out of the house. We did a abbreviated grocery shopping run in expectation of a freezing rain or snowstorm being predicated for today into tomorrow. By the time we got to the checkout I did have to sit down and Lynn said I was looking sort of white. I told her I was caucasian but she said it was worse than that white. When we returned home I was definitely ready for a nap. I see the doctor on 1/17 to check out the healing process and see if I can drive yet. The best part of this surgical adventure is that I haven't smoked since 1/3/07! I had wanted to quit and major surgery seemed like an appropriate time to eliminate the urge. So far I have had only an occasional moment of interest that has been easily ignored.

#100135 - 01/15/07 04:49 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Hi Whittle,

One thing I will tell you that happened to me during my recovery. I would feel good and antsy(SP) and start to do things. Such as cooking, shopping, etc. Then the next day I would be so exhausted and I would lay down all day. It took a friend of mine to point this out to me. Everytime she called me, I would tell her that I over did it yesterday and I was exhausted today. I hadn't realized this pattern until she pointed it out. Anyway, I just took baby steps from that time until I was done with my recovery period. I had a wonderful recovery. No matter how a person had their operation rather through a vertical/horizontal incision, laporscopy/vaginal, or vaginal. The inside stitching is the same and that is what needs the most recovery.

I am glad you are doing well Whittle, and thanks for letting us know how you are doing!

Cheers and Hugs,
Cathi

#100136 - 01/15/07 08:59 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Whittle: I did not drive until six months post-op. My insurers would not cover me until after then. Just as well, as I could not anyway as I would tire very easily. At eight months post-op, I still feel some tugging when I overdo things but rest helps. I had an abdominal incision and although all seems to have fully healed, I was told that it takes a year to fully do so internally and was warned about adhesions. At this stage, I am still not pulling, pushing or lifting anything I cannot budge the first time around. Rest when you feel sapped of energy. It is the body's way of letting you know that it needs to be rested. Glad to know that you are coping well with post-op recovery.

#100137 - 01/15/07 11:40 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Lola]
Mountain Ash Offline

I agree with Lola re the driving.Not to be too doomladen but this is a major surgery and there are no medals in having adhesions.Also once you start doing things you will tackle more and more tasks.I stayed from work for four months due to the nature (lifting pupils from wheelchairs)This way if there is further difficulties you know you did the best you could post operation.Once we are older its possible to have a prolapse from the "vault" so why make difficulties.Act like a Queen for a while.
Mountain ash

#100138 - 01/16/07 03:04 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Mountain Ash]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
I have a hysterectom about 15 years ago in my 40s. I was between husbands and my son spent most of his time at his dads. It took me a few months to stand for any time. I really don't remember how the shopping was done. The hardest part what getting up the same day as the surgery.

Check out Omaha Steaks and their partner site A La Zing. They deliver to the house, each item is packaged separately so you husband can take out just one steak or salmon at a time. A La Zing is precooked and frozen food. Also delivered to your home.

The key is visiting their websites for special prices. They have meals as little as $9.00 for 2 people. Haven't been disappointed by their food. Take it easy and let others do it for you.

When you are ready to pamper yourself, let me know.

#100139 - 01/17/07 01:58 AM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Phyllis0618]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Dear Whittle, I've been so busy I haven't been in the forum and I'm so glad you're doing well. Patient, heal thyself are not idle words. You're in charge, you can say NO! This is a good time to learn the NO word in case you're having trouble. Do everything JJ told you to and don't get her mad at you for not listening. She didn't get her queenship by being wrong!
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#100140 - 01/18/07 02:42 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Saundra]
whittlewoman Offline

Again, thanks for sharing your wisdom and experiences. I do recognize that my body has been traumatized by the surgery. Sleeping has always been the most effective way for my body to heal itself. I'm trying to eat and drink so that I don't get dehydrated. I've quit smoking in the process and tried to slow myself down by giving myself permission to be "lazy". I read as much as I can, keep my journal going and work on tiny projects that require little physical effort. Being lazy, naps, not working when awake have always been questionable behaviors in my growing up. This experience is a real test of which parts of the oppressive internal dialogue I have managed to discard.

#100141 - 01/18/07 06:18 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
I must tell you that after my uterus was removed 18 years ago, no more periods.

Still must laugh everytime at my yearly physical they ask:

When was your last period
Are you pregnant

I respond to unless I join the few that make medical history, I better not be pregnant.

Haven't had a period in 14 years and it feels great.

#100142 - 02/05/07 08:48 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: Phyllis0618]
whittlewoman Offline

Well today marks 1 month and a day since my hysterectomy was done. I keep waiting for my body to regain its stamina. As I heal externlly and internally I slowly feel better but still I am fooled into feeling like I can so I do too much and lose the next day to exhaustion or shakiness...I guess that this healing process is just letting time and minimal exertion do thier job. Everyday I get a more sophisticated comprehension of what major surgery really means. That understanding is humbling and well as quite sobering.

#100143 - 02/05/07 09:19 PM Re: Radical Hysterectomy [Re: whittlewoman]
madhatter Offline

Loc: North Florida
Hi, Whittle.

Welcome to the Big Girl's Club. That's what all of my friends who have had hyst's call ourselves.

Please, be patient with your body. I talk to a lot of women, and I can tell you--it may take up to six months or longer until you really feel like yourself again. You are steadily healing within. That's easy to forget!

I am a few years out, now, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I was faced with the same decision. Of course, I had tried everything else before having surgery.

Good luck to you in your continued healing...

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved