The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#100087 - 01/05/07 09:35 AM Re: I've had all my $$ stolen...... [Re: Dianne]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am happy for you too but am very confused here. My debit card is also my Visa card. Whats the difference? You mean if I give someone my Visa card number they also have access to my checking asccount? How is that possible? Jump in here ladies, holy moly, I need an answer.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#100088 - 01/05/07 12:21 PM Re: I've had all my $$ stolen...... [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I never use a debit card so I am also lost. My kids use them so I was telling them this story. I am forever telling them to save every receipt and match it to their statements. I hope they listen.

I once had a brand new crdit card stolen through the mail, before it was delivered to me. I was shocked when I got my statement. Someone had a quick one day shopping spree with my card. Fortunately, the bank understood and credited my account for every purchase that wasn't mine. That's why interest rates are so high.

#100089 - 01/05/07 12:31 PM Re: I've had all my $$ stolen......
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
My take on this was that she had done business with T-Mobile and given them her numbers over the phone and then had multiple charges made to her card that weren't hers, possibly through error...and that T-Mobile and her bank have worked together to ensure that she got all her money back and that all overdraft chargees were cancelled. I could be wrong...but that's what I surmised...StartingOver, where are you?

#100090 - 01/08/07 10:34 PM Re: I've had all my $$ stolen...... [Re: Jane_Carroll]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hi all, sorry I've been down with a bug. Your debit card can be a mastercard or a visa--whichever your bank chose to use--however that debit card is tied directly to your checking account. If someone gets your card number they then have access to your checking account balance.

Yes, T-Mobile is a cell phone company and in my case this person somehow got a hold of my debit card info, set up with T-Mobile to pay his account through an automatic withdrawal--using my account to pay his bill! I was hit 4 times.

Since I also had my account at T-Mobile, I didn't catch it right away. (Also I was behind balancing my checkbook) And every once in a while I still find something totally weird that I've done that I can only relate back to stress from the divorce. So when I first saw those transactions I was beating myself up as being 'not on the ball' and telling myself to 'get it together'. Once the last transaction of $798 appeared on the last page of my statement I knew something was WRONG--I would never spend that kind of money at one place. That's when I called the bank and they checked all my 'weird' transactions, and they were all to the same place. Once I had that I knew I'd been taken.

Since I never lost my purse or my card, I can only theorize that I gave it to a waiter at a restaurant and they left to run it, took down my info and then returned my card. It would have been the ONLY time that card was out of my sight.

So....things I've learned to start off 2007
1. NEVER have debit card
2. ALWAYS balance checkbook as soon as statement arrives
3. TRUST MYSELF--I know when I haven't spent extra money
4. Maintain more than one account, at more than one bank

Hope this clears up any confusion. Yes, it is possible for someone to set up autowithdrawal with your card--I can't beleive it's possible but T-Mobiel told me the 'safeguards built into phone system for payments is only there for the honet people--anyone who knows how can bypass the system's doublechecks!' Therefore ladies, nothing is safe!!

FYI, CNN had a report last Fri or Sat about people accessing investment accounts and cleaning out everything people have saved for retirement. AND brokerage houses aren't guaranteed by the government, so their only reason to cover your losses is to keep their name clean. this man got nowhere recovering his assets until he got the media involved. It was a very large and reputable broker. Something to think about....

Also FYI, I talked to my Insurance agent and was able to add fraud protection to my homeowner's policy for only $25 a year. Seems well worth it. If the bank or card company won't pay back your insurance would kick in. Any fraud. That was with American Family Insurance, but I would think other's would also offer it.

Hope this helps!

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#100091 - 01/09/07 01:07 PM Re: I've had all my $$ stolen...... [Re: starting over]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
We had a problem recently with our bank and this seemed like a good place to post about it. Sometimes no matter how careful you are and how many safeguards you put into place, stuff happens that you have no control over. My husband went to the bank drive thru to cash a personal check before we went on a trip and they tried to tell him that account had no money it it (and believe me we knew better!) He went into the bank and finally convinced them that there was plenty of money in the account, at that time they said it was a computer error. We have several bills that go thru automatic payment and of course the next thing you know we got a notice from the electric company that the bill was overdue.....after SEVERAL calls to the bank it turned out that for some reason a piece of mail from the bank to our home was returned to them,(or at least that's what they're saying......we think somebody made a computer error and closed the wrong customer's account....our's!!) so they put a hold on the account (nobody tried to contact us though!) We've sure been getting other mail from the bank and everybody else! If my husband hadn't gone to the bank to cash the check that day, it would have taken us longer to discover the mess. There were a couple of bills that tried to charge us for late payments, all because the bank messed up, but the bank took responsibility for it.....but several times they told us it was all straightened out, and it wasn't. We think they finally got it right. I will say that the gal from their corporate offices bent over backwards to try to help us, calling us several times a day and even after working hours, trying to get the mess taken care of. But it was really scary when we knew our money was in that account and we couldn't get to it when we wanted, or to think that our bills weren't being paid (I kept waiting for the power to go off.....didn't happen).
It's a scary world we live in these days.

#100092 - 01/09/07 03:04 PM Re: I've had all my $$ stolen...... [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Gosh Ann, that is scary! What a nightmare! I have been very blessed to have this whole mess cleaned up quickly.

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#100093 - 01/11/07 07:18 PM Re: I've had all my $$ stolen...... [Re: starting over]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
A friend got verified on ebay. This means the payment thru paypal comes out of his checking account. He bought a computer and they withdrew the same amount four times! He called them and they said they would put two of them back into his account but the third one would take longer. Now, that stinks! I guess we have to be careful with everything and every one.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved