Got Engaged Today!!!

Posted by: Lola

Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/10/06 06:17 PM

Nope, not me. My son.

My son and his wonderful GF (now fiancee) invited me out to lunch today. On reaching the Spanish restaurant, I spotted her parents there as well. What's this, thought I? Something's afoot, I reckon. Warm hugs and pleasantries around. Future mothers-in-law had twinkle in our eyes. We suspected. And we were right.

The announcement came after the tapas were consumed and both expectant mothers-in-law cried through the main course and afters. Her father just blabbered through his with excitement. Their firstborn to be married to my youngest. After four years, our children have made their decision to be with each other for the rest of their lives. A date will be set for next year and I am bursting with joy. I have been on the phone and e-mailing everybody, sharing the good news the entire afternoon.

My son will be taking a wife. I move to one side so that he may grow and develop beautifully and responsibly from fiance to husband. His priorities will be different from hereon. It is unbelievable how the years have gone by ever so quickly. My baby boy is now a man. And now, I shall have a daughter-in-law who would be addressed in the future by my same surname. A very lovely thought and a very lovely woman to share it with. My family is growing. A blessing indeed.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/10/06 06:35 PM

CONGRATS...This is truly a blessing for all concerned. How wonderful for you! I was equally touched by your loving description of your son. What a joyous occasion for you and your family. God blessings on you all!
Posted by: Anno

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/10/06 06:57 PM

I offer my own congratulations. I love how you described how his life will change and how your relationship will grow. Love will surround you all.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/10/06 08:16 PM

Wow Lola! I thought you got engaged! How sweet, happy tears for you future MIL! Take a valium at the wedding, or you may bawl like I did...
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/10/06 08:18 PM

Lola, congratulations to you and your son on this happy occasion.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 12:20 AM

Congratulations!!!!
Posted by: 49erDonna

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 12:47 AM

How exciting! Congratulations!
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 01:14 AM

How wonderful! I have to ask...they have Spanish Restaurants in the UK?
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 01:45 AM

Congratulations, Lola! What a happy time for you and your family.
Louisa
Posted by: diamond50

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 06:41 AM

Lola, congratulations for your son!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 07:17 AM

If you are happy then I am happy for you. MIL next and then grandma. The fun begins.

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 08:47 AM

Many thanks all.

Hi, Hannelore: Hah, got you there! I'd definitely be crying at the wedding. Last night my friends came around to celebrate and wish us and they sang "Sunrise Sunset" to me. Needless, to say I woke up with puffy eyes this morning. Good thing, I am working from home.

Hi, Dianne: There are many Spanish restaurants in London. Many Brits have moved to Spain and Spanish holidays are always a first choice. As a result, they have acquired a penchant for tapas and bistros. These have become very common here as there is market for it. And, most are staffed with very "Il Divo" men. Come to think of it, London has many Il Divo-ish looking men!
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 01:21 PM

Lola,

That is so special. And what tribute to their parents to include ya'll in such a special way.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 03:41 PM

Lola, what a wonderful blessing! Congratulations to you and yours!! The fun begins alright... Planning a wedding is so much fun. Enjoy it. Good daughters-in-law are a blessing! Wishing you the best,
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 03:50 PM

"And, most are staffed with very "Il Divo" men"

I'm booking my flight tomorrow!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/11/06 10:58 PM

Lola, you need to print your post/announcement. Your enthusiasm pours from the screen. I'm happy for all of you. Sounds like you've all got a great thing going on there. Weren't you touched by the way they chose to tell you? How dear!

I can tell by so many of the posts in here that all of us adore our children. Isn't it fun?
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/12/06 03:14 AM

Lola, I am so happy that you are happy about this. You sound wonderful!
Posted by: bamgibbs

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/12/06 04:51 AM

Lola!

That is awesome! Love at Christmas time is the absolute best. Please give your son and future daughter in law a big hug from North Carolina.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
Purchase your copy of “Hope for the Holidays” at http://www.talk2bev.com/holiday.htm

“I’m not a writer because I wrote a book. I wrote a book because I was inspired by God.”

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
Purchase your copy of “Hope for the Holidays” at http://www.talk2bev.com/holiday.htm

“I’m not a writer because I wrote a book. I wrote a book because I was inspired by God.”

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/12/06 04:26 PM

Many thanks once again. My feet have not touched the ground.

Yes, Dotsie. It is actually an excerpt from my journal, a copy of is now an added entry in my son's baby book. I would like to put the wedding photo there and give it to him on his wedding day.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 12/13/06 07:08 AM

Lola, how wonderful! I can hear your love pouring out in the description of your son.

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/22/08 08:10 AM

It has been a year and a half since I announced my son's engagement here and the wedding is in a few weeks' time! Everything is set and all we have got left to do is show up. As we get closer to the date, I expect to be busy, and busier even, as family will be coming over from the States and Spain. 38 of them. And, they will be arriving in London on different dates but, all will be here at least a week before the mid-August wedding. To say that I am excited would be an understatement. That I need 25-hour days in the next few weeks would also be an understatement. So, if you ladies don't hear from me as often in the next few weeks...you can safely guess why.

Thought I'd sneak in another bit of news as well. Since she passed her pre-primary RAD ballet exam, my granddaughter was busy preparing for her stage debut as a cub in her dance company's production of The Lion King (she's the youngest in the cast). Obviously, I have also turned into a stage grandmother .

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/22/08 11:16 AM

Lola, I am very excited for you and your family. How wonderful to be gathering for an entire week. London will never be the same.

You are a deservedly proud mom and grandmother. I know that you will enjoy the next few weeks and will be surrounded in a great cloud of love. Cheers!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/25/08 12:51 AM

Lola, this IS exciting! How wonderful, all of it Blessings all around.

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/26/08 08:32 AM

Thanks, Anno and Meredith.

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/26/08 06:01 PM

Thanks, Anne. We would have had the wedding earlier but, we have had deaths in the family. My future DIL's grandfather and my sister's grandson passed away last year. We thought it would be best to have the wedding after a bereavement period which both families observed as tradition.
Posted by: savvygrandmother

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/27/08 05:44 PM

Lola - congratulations! You are full of celebration and great news! Know you are building memories of a lifetime. Will keep you in our thoughts.

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/28/08 10:38 AM

Thanks, SG.

Quote:

Know you are building memories of a lifetime.

Yes, we are. Alongside mementos from generations before us, the wedding will reflect unbroken traditions, by faith and practice.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/28/08 02:32 PM

Lola, your family always seems so very wise. I'm guessing ti's becasue you're the matriarch. Please know I'm celebrating all the festivities with you in the upcoming weeks. If we lose you for a few days, we'll know you're up to good things, and will await all the news upon your arrival. Relax and enjoy every moment.

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/29/08 05:10 AM

Thanks, Dotsie. Nothing frantic as of yet, except that I am still shopping around for yet another pair of shoes for the wedding!

I expect everything will start to step up a notch by next week as my sister will be flying in from Spain with her daughter and two spinster aunts. Both are in their '70's and have not been to the UK so, I would also have to take them sight-seeing as well. They've also offered to host a dinner party to meet my son's bride and in-laws. They will be cooking, not I...a blessing.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/29/08 07:37 AM

What a beautiful time in your lives. I sincerely hope that you are able to relax and enjoy each passing moment. Blessings abound!

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/29/08 12:23 PM

"two spinster aunts", LOL. I haven't heard that expression for a while!

Enjoy the sightseeing, as well as the day off from cooking. You will be posting pictures, I hope.
Posted by: Q_ball

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 07/29/08 06:26 PM

Congrats Lola & Family!
As a recent MOG (may) going thru months of the same, one bit of advice, "Carry your camera everywhere". Keep in mind all hicups in the events are the memories that stand out and become funny in due time. Relax & Enjoy. This is such a FUN time for Mom's. Can't wait to hear about it when you're back from Cloud 9.

Re: Got Engaged Today!!! - 08/01/08 08:08 AM

We have a few of them in the family, Anno.

Thanks, JJ and QBall. Gosh. I hope to remember taking candid snaps. Must dash to the airport to pick up folks now. See you all after the honeymoon. Immediate family were invited to tag along